homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Protestantism (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Protestantism
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
So which meaning do you go for and why? (And that's just a few verses)

All of them. And a lot more. An eternal an omniscient God can easily arrange for one sentence to mean different but appropriate things to millions of readers [Biased]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(a) why is it 'obvious'?
(b) how do we apply it today?
(c) why should I trust your so-called 'obvious' interpretation over any other?

I can ask the same questions about the teachings of any Catholic or Orthodox tradition. At least I know that (more or less) we're all dealing with the same written Gospel (give or take a variant reading here or there).

--------------------
Ken

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:
OK Mudfrog, you have yet another interpretation of the passage - QED. But why and how do you hold to your particular interpretation?

Duh! Because it's the obvious one and isn't obscured by theology and left wing socio-babble.
That is very funny.

So when you say the Bible doesn't need interpreting you mean that when there are differences in interpretation yours is right.

Every Protestant is their own Pope.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sophia's Questions posted, way back when:
quote:
This is not something that you will find in any Bible. Scripture tells us that when individuals err in the Church they are to be corrected, but there is never the notion that the Church will err. It cannot err if it is guided by the Holy Spirit. The constancy in the Church is a testament to this guidance.

I'm wondering what constancy you're referring to, especially since over the years the RCC has adopted many of Luther's suggested reforms. [Biased]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveTom:
quote:
Mudfrog, what does your interpretation of Jesus' rebuke to the Revelation churches say about His earlier statement of "I will build my Church and the gates of Hades shall not prevail" (Matt 16:18)?

In fact the more I think about it, the more spurious this prooftexting seems.

There is nothing in these words by way of everlasting covenant.
Perhaps they promise that in the 250 years of Roman persecution ahead the movement would not be destroyed. Possibly even that if the movement ever went off the rails it would be restored or rise up again.

But that, throughout the millennia, there will forever be organisation in institutional continuity with the first church, and that it will be the same church of Jesus despite all corruption, crimes against humanity and the utter moral degradation of its leaders - that's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Indeed - the stuff I have read - and not all of it evangelical - holds that Jesus was simply referring to Peter and the disciples. This group was the 'church' (chosen/called out ones - ekklesia) that he was referring to; and whilst Peter was given the keys (to be used in association with the other disciples, not on his own) there is no hint of a succession that would ensure that Peter's authority would pass down unhindered, unblemished and unassailed into a future worldwide denomination.

Note that it was James who leads the jerusalem church, not Peter.

Note also that it is the Apostles' teaching that is followed in Acts 2, not Peter's alone.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sophia's Questions:
(Let me preface my comment with: My argument is not that Protestantism is worthless, rather that it is not Truth, and when something as important as your eternal life in the balance, our first concern should be Truth.)

Neither you nor Mudfoot replied to my central issue with Protestantism, that even if the central theology is correct and agreed upon by all (Christ saves, follow Him), that could not be more irrelevant to our salvation.

Well, then I'm afraid we can have no mutual understanding. The most important thing to Christ as he stated was to love God and to love your neighbor. All the Prophets and the law could be summed up in this. Have you ever considered that perhaps you are deviating from Christ's commands, according to his word?

quote:
Either The Creator was able to impart truth or he was not. One may find edification in the pages of Scripture, but unless ones reading is in accord with the Fathers of the Church and with it's dogma, what claim can it have to truth? If any, is it a higher claim than a fellow protestant with an opposite interpretation? We can spend countless lifetimes reading Scripture, but in the end, how do we know if what we have gleaned is Truth? (italics mine, js)

I believe in a God who raised man from the dead, I believe in a God who spoke and bang the universe started to unravel, I believe in God whose main premise is that he loves people, I believe in a God that is intelligible, I believe in a God that wants to speak to us, I believe in a God who likes love stories, and surely if this God touched lepers and spoke to outcasts and shared Truth, likewise I put my trust in Him and I don't have to be afraid of error not because I'm perfect or have perfect revelation. But I'm not afraid to make mistakes because the God who made the Universe is capable enough to help me. If you have any questions, you can ask him about that.

quote:
Finally (if you read this far), regarding the Orthodox view of salvation, we believe that following Christ is difficult, and requires discpline, and is a life-long process, during which we can decide to turn away from our Creator. We have free will. We don't save ourselves through works - that would impose an obligation upon God. Rather, works are the fruit of each Christian vine, and in doing them we cultivate the foundational virtues of Christianity, without which one cannot follow Christ with any success: humility, obedience, repentance, and love.

[Smile]

Well, I'm glad that God has shown us the same things. [Smile]

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me just clarify.

Some passages of Scripture NEED interpretation because they are so dense and mystifying - and these interpretations are just myriad with no real right or wrong - Revelation for example.

Some passages of Scripture NEED interpretation because they might be hard to follow or they are highly theological - the Epistle to the Romans, for example.

Some passages BENEFIT from interpretation because the surface reading, whilst not rocket science, are obviously 1st Century Jewish and without interpretation the truth is lost on western 21st Century minds.

Some passages BENEFIT from interpretation just by way of explanation and interest.

Some passages - mainly historical narrative - CAN be interpreted to give a spiritual meaning. ie, what does this passage mean to me?

Some passages - historical narrative - don't NEED interpretation because they are history - however, an interpretation CAN add to the adequate surface meaning and shed extra light.

Some passages are interpreted by their own context and are explained right there and then. The interpretation is there for all to see - Blessed are the peacemakers for example - it's so obvious.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some passages - historical narrative - don't NEED interpretation because they are history - however, an interpretation CAN add to the adequate surface meaning and shed extra light.

Some passages are interpreted by their own context and are explained right there and then. The interpretation is there for all to see - Blessed are the peacemakers for example - it's so obvious.

I don't you're going to get many takers for this view, MF. But can we perhaps all agree that, whether right or wrong, the issue is a sidetrack to this thread.

We were talking about differences in doctrine, practice etc. between Protestants and others. These differences are based on Bible passages about justification, salvation, communion, worship, etc., not about the healing of Bartemaus.

Accepting, for the sake of argument, that the passages you talk about do not require interpretation, it's the ones that do require interpretation that divide the churches, so perhaps we could talk about those on this thread; and if people want to talk about epistemology start a new one for that.

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Let me just clarify. Some passages of Scripture NEED interpretation [...] Some passages BENEFIT from interpretation [...] Some passages - mainly historical narrative - CAN be interpreted to give a spiritual meaning [...] Some passages - historical narrative - don't NEED interpretation because they are history

But surely it is obvious to everyone here participating in this almost non-argument that we are (deliberatly) using the word "interpretation" in different ways? (And its a bit of sixth-form philosophy that no-one can ever be sure they really know what someone else meant by anything they said or wrote)

There is the totally neccessary interpretation that goes with understanding any language or symbolic system. Including what the church says as well as what the Bible does. This is the "interpretation" that leads to what you might call the brain-dead literal meaning.

Then the "interpretation" of colloquialism and context and so on leading to what you might call the "face value" meaning.

Then there is the "interpretation" of tone and connotation and implication that we can't get away from in any human language.

Then there is the "interpretation" second and third order symbolisms, of allegory and metaphor and numerology and all those ways of talking that really are found in the Bible. Then the "intepretation" of context and genre.

Then the "intepretation" of trying to work out what the passage meant to the original hearers or readers (do people in theological colleges still go on about "hermeneutics" all the time?) which has to take into account all the stuff that's gone before.

Then the "intepretation" of working out what it means to me, now (which is a totally valid thing to be working out if you beleive Scripture inspired by God

And all that is before you get into the the allegorical and anagogical and teleological "intepretations" beleoived of the churches in some times and places.

Then the "intepretation" of all that as implemented anmd read into our lives and outr churches.

I agree with you in that the first two or three - maybe three or four - of these layers of "interpretation" are, for many of the books of the Bible, things that you'd expect well-intentioned readers to agree on. But the last two or three might be validly different for different readers. And there is plenty of debatable territory in the middle.

If course exactly the same applies to the teachings of any church The first few of those layers of "intepretation" are employed in understanding any language, whether its a sermon in church, or a liturgy, or a hymn, or a posting on the Ship of Fools.

And its no get-out to say that the practice and worship of churches bears their doctrine more than any more apparent teaching. An ritual or an icon or a stained glass window all need "reading" - and are in symbol systems that are less natural to most people than language of words.

quote:

Blessed are the peacemakers for example - it's so obvious.

If only it was [Frown] We've had people on these very boards claiming scriptural justification for the unprovoked invasion of other countries. And others who are complete pacifists and say it is wrong even to defend your own country.

--------------------
Ken

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by A.F. Steve:
Given two conflicting views of the meaning of scripture, you would turn to the teachings of the heirachical organisation you (from a Protestant view) mistakenly call the Church. You view the teachings of that heirachy to be trustworthy.

At the core of Protestantism is a view that human organisations are not always trustworthy in this imperfect/fallen world, and that it is thus responsibility of the individual believer, as part of the Church (ie all Christians) and in the light of God's indwelling spirit to discern right beliefs and from them right actions.

Yes, that seems right.

Just to clarify - that quote is from a post of mine addressing A. F. Steve, not from A.F.Steve himself, who I think would disagree with it.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

- Posted      Profile for Sophia's Questions   Email Sophia's Questions   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My point was:
1) The second commandment forbids the use of images.
2) Catholics, Orthodox, (and many Protestants) use images.
Therefore
3) Catholics, Orthodox, (and many Protestants) do not follow the second commandment.

In exactly the same way, almost no Christians obey the commandment about the Sabbath. For this they have explicit sanction in the NT. Image worship has the sanction of tradition.

I make no comment about the rightness or wrongness of either. I'm just saying just that when Andreas says there is no difference between Orthodox and Protestant attitudes to the Bible because Orthodox practice does not contravene the Bible, one would be using quite peculiar definitions of all of those words for his statement to be true.

Your characterization of the use of icons, artwork, etc. as "image worship" is the same argument used by the defeated iconoclasts, and it is grossly inaccurate. If the Church thought that the use of icons encouraged believers to be put anything ahead of God, the Church would not use icons. If you want to know about them please ask, I would be glad to tell you what I know.

One thing that must be said is that the use of artwork, and later smaller, portable pieces of artwork (icons) has apparently been a part of the Church from the beginning, so if it is "wrong" scripturally, it would be news to the early Christians. To think that these often persecuted and martyred people were so weak in their faith that they created idols to worship, which is what the commandment forbids, is illogical and (unintentionally) disrespectful of them. The Bible doesn't tell us a lot about the means of worship in the early Church, so what we can glean from history helps in many cases, and we know that the early Church did not hesitate to adorn their churches with artwork.

[fixed quote code]

[ 02. November 2005, 16:22: Message edited by: RuthW ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Posts: 85 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

- Posted      Profile for Sophia's Questions   Email Sophia's Questions   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If one of the Eastern churches claimed that something they did was a tradition handed down from the time of the apostles, I would have to acknowledge the claim as possible. However, since I *know* that the Bible (and the Didache etc) has survived since the time of the early church, I would want to check the tradition against scripture -
What makes you think that your feeble mind - or my feeble mind - can understand scripture better than the concensus of the first millenium of Christianity? Why would any single individual look at the universal understanding of the faith from the first millenium of Christianity and think that any thought they might have would compare to the wisdom of that consensus? That question demands an answer.

[fixed quote code]

[ 02. November 2005, 16:23: Message edited by: RuthW ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Originally posted by St. Seraphim of Sarov:
quote:
(Let me preface my comment with: My argument is not that Protestantism is worthless, rather that it is not Truth, and when something as important as your eternal life in the balance, our first concern should be Truth.)

St. Seraphim said,
quote:
An essential part of Protestantism is the belief that people have the right to read the Bible and decide what to believe based on the Gift of the Holy Spirit given to them at Baptism.
Yes, and this belief must be held by Protestants, else they can have no claim whatever to legitimacy. Having decided to ignore the reality of the historic Church, they could only claim to recreate it through faith and a diligent reading of Scripture. But this belief is not a part of any Christian dogma until Protestantism surfaced. This belief is so elastic that it allows for the likes of Joseph Smith and what's-his-name-the-JW-guy to both believe that they were moved by the spirit. Without the guidance of the Church, it is difficult to know if one is moved by the Spirit or by something nefarious. We don't know Smith's heart (he appears to have been of dubious character) so can't know if he thought he was actually moved by God or not. Likewise, whoever started up unitarianism and the other universal salvation beliefs probably also felt so moved. This idea is full of error and mischief, and has led many astray. Either The Creator was able to impart truth or he was not. One may find edification in the pages of Scripture, but unless ones reading is in accord with the Fathers of the Church and with it's dogma, what claim can it have to truth? If any, is it a higher claim than a fellow protestant with an opposite interpretation? We can spend countless lifetimes reading Scripture, but in the end, how do we know if what we have gleaned is Truth? In protestantism there is no standard of Truth, and using the Bible as 'arbiter of truth' is unworkable because doing to leads only to a multitude of 'small t' truths.

[Smile]

What I said was scripture was essential for a Protestant, not that it was the only thing. In fact many Protestant churches do use tradtion (ok, maybe only 100 years of it [Biased] ) to back up what they read and interpret in the Bible.
quote:
I didn't mean to infer that you rely upon the Bible only. All churches have traditions, and St. Paul told us to hold fast to them.
And such a view does lead to there being all sort of odd, if not heretical practices being used. But history has shown that the same thing did occur in the RC church. (Something that I personally don't believe is happening today IMHO).
quote:
Not sure what you meant by the last bit. Yes, you are correct, sola scriptura has led to all manner of error. Now, can truth beget error? Things breed true over time, error begets error, truth begets truth.
If there is such a thing as an arbiter of truth, a church who really understands the Bible because their earliest members heard about it from the lips of the Master, and passed it on intact, then we can say without hesitation that sola scriptura is responsible for all error which afflicts Christians. A bold statement, but consider it: What was the genesis of the excommunication of the church at Rome in 1054? SS. A group of people picking up the Bible and deciding that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the The Father _and_ the Son, in direct conflict with the universal Christian Creed, and insisting on telling believers about their new belief. Does it affect our salvation? Likely not. So why the fuss? Why did the Church lop off one of its limbs? Because allowing error to persist in the Church means that everything is open to error. The Truth, in the view of the Church, is sacred and inviolable.
The Church at Rome was also becoming attached to the idea that the pope was able to discern and explain biblical truth with God's help (the Bishop of Rome was called 'pope' for centuries before the RC excommunication, but it was a name only). This obviously opened up a giant pandora's box, and militated against the understanding of the Church, which is that the concensus of the councils of the Church and the consensus of the saints should guide us always.
The whole episode is a crying shame (literally), and led directly to Protestantism. But consider this: Even with the RC changes right from the get-go, RC theology and tradition and worship was satisfying and authentic enough that it took nearly half a millenium before changes came. To my mind, this speaks to the authenticity of Orthodoxy - its vestige carried believers along for nearly 500 years.

As far as there being only one road to Christ, I've always had problems with that view. There may be only one road for me, but that road may be different for someone else.

Perhaps this is a matter of semantics. Surely we will all have a different journey if we decide to follow Christ. But the road is the same. The contours, the signposts, the difficulties, the destination. The Creator would not leave it up to each of us to figure it out for ourselves. The road and the walking of it must be known to us if we are the creations of a loving God.
Can you tell me that if you and I were to both, say, go to Jerusalem we would take the same route? Probably not. Are there routes that we both could take that wouldn't be direct, but would get us there eventually?

This kind of thinking is not fruitful. How can a narrow road be compared to a variety of circuitous routes? It also reduces the object of our existence - salvation - to just another destination. It is the only destination worth reaching, and as I noted in an earlier post, if we were truly convinced that we are immortal and that our life in Christ can be prone to error (look around), then we would be earnestly searching for truth, and would not rest with a "road" to salvation until we were certain that we were right.
quote:
And there are routes that I know I could take and become good and lost. What is important is for me to keep my eyes on where I am going and if I become lost to seek directions and sometimes I only know I'm lost when someone asks me why I'm not going the right way (ask my husband on that one!)
Ask any wife and I'm sure she will have even more examples of their husbands being hopelessly lost!I'm one, and I generally have no idea where we're going, where we parked, why we're there or when we're going to be done.

[Merciful God, I hope I've edited the rogue UBB right, including editing out the multiple repetitions of text. I aplogise if I've managed to attribute words to the wrong person. Sophia's Questions - you might want to go to the "practice your UBB" thread in the Styx and have a go there.]

[ 02. November 2005, 05:31: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Originally posted by m.t_tomb:
Couldn't it be that the interpretation of Scripture is somehow linked to the covenant of grace? What I mean is that God will attend his word with eternal truth when and where there are people in receipt of his covenant faithfulness. After all, the interpratation of Scripture is impossible without the tri-une indwelling of God at a corporate level. Now of course just what that corpus looks like and where that corpus is located is another discussion. But I'd be inclined to say that the corpus unto which God's covenant faithfulness causes him to attend his word with truth are the elect of God. In other words, the communion of saints throughout time, or those known fully to Christ alone. I can see no reason whatsoever why those 'elect' have been both within and without the institutional visible church since the very beginning.

The Church believes that it is possible to attain salvation outside of the Church, but maintains that it is unwise to seek it there, and given the importance of it, should always be sought where we know that grace exists, in the historical Church. Orthodox would generally not argue that we know where grace does not exist, rather that we know where, for a certainty, it does exist.

[edited rogue UBB code]

[ 02. November 2005, 05:33: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

Hi Dinghy -

quote:
Can we really be responsible for our own salvation, though? This protestant would say that we are saved soley by grace, so whatever choices we make, the ultimate responsibility for us being in Heaven rests with Jesus on the cross, for the free gift of salvation that God offers. Yes, we may have the responsibility to take that gift, but whether or not we choose to take it still depends on whether or not God offers it in the first place.
It is a gift insofar as we can never earn or deserve it, but we are still called work out our salvation with fear and trembling. If someone is really prepared to do that, and even makes a good start at it, does that not constitute genuine faith? If so, why persevere? If salvation is then assured, why not enjoy the rest of your time here to the fullest?
Now, to that you would surely say that once someone finds that faith, where they earnestly begin to change their lives, to repent, their love of God will be growing, and to return to a life apart from him would be unthinkable. True, in some cases. But we see in our own lives how our faithfulness can wax and wane, and with the certainty of salvation, when it is easier to do the easy or pleasurable thing, we will be more inclined to do so than we will if we earnestly believe we must, as a condition of our salvation, be constantly working it out.
Beyond that, "packaging" the idea of eternal communion with the Godhead with words like "free" and "Jesus is 'responsible'" for our salvation does believers a great disservice. Christ is the vehicle, we are the responsible party. His hands are always extended, His love for us is boundless, He will help us in whatever ways are conducive to our spiritual growth, but to say that we are not primarily responsible is a very dangerous idea, encouraging believers to abandon responsibility, which is always hard to bear. We will often use whatever excuse we can find to avoid it, especially when we don't consider the results to be damning. [/b]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sophia's Questions: Rome was one of five co-equal patriarchates
That's a very Orthodox view. Try telling a Roman that.
It's a fact of history - none of the Patriarchates held sway over the others.

quote:
quote:
If sola scriptura has given us everything from RC <slight snip> to Mormons

But Rome has its Tradition and infallibility, and Mormons have their book of Mormon and golden specs. Neither of those groups is sola scriptura.
The point is that SS makes all of them possible. See my post a few back RE its role in the RC excommunication. And do you think it is an accident that Smith lived and developed his doctrine in protestant America in 1820 instead of in Constantinople in 820? SS is the foundation of every Christian heresy - every divergence of significance from the always understood Truth was based upon some group's reading of the Bible. The Arians thought Christ a created being, based upon their understanding of the Bible, and they were corrected and reconciled by the first Ecumenical Council in 325. For heresy to exist in the world, it must be measured against something unchanging. The only unchanging thing in Christianity is the Bible and the Orthodox Church's understanding of it. Everyone else's ideas about it are evolving. Truth does not evolve. It is expressed in different ways in different times, but its characteristics and substance never change.

quote:
To attempt an answer to your response to Quantpole, I'd ask what liturgy the Church used before the 4th century, before Sts Basil & John's day? Does God actually care about what precise liturgy we use, anyway? I for one really don't see why He should care whether we sing Kyrie e Leison, Depths of Mercy or Shine Jesus Shine, whether we use Eucharistic prayer A, B or C (I'm sure they all say the same thing) or whether we pronounce "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again" or "Dying you destroyed our death, Rising you restored our life, Lord Jesus come in glory". They all say much the same thing. Should He not be pleased? Graham Kendrick is a part of the ongoing tradition of British hymnwriters, his talents grew organically within the church as much as anyone else's.
An excellent point. God is surely pleased when one of His beloved creations shows their love for Him. That is why He made us. The point about the Orhodox liturgy that I was making is that it is yet another proof of the unchanging nature of the Church. That the Church practiced different forms of the liturgy (and still does today on certain days of the year) is true, and is a testament to your argument.
But we know from History that the central 'service' of the early Christians was the service celebrating the Sacrament of Holy Communion. The Divine Litugy is followed universally because it is exceptional in every regard, and there is no reason to change what works.

quote:
I must admit that your response to my post confused me rather, so if you could post it again more succinctly I'd be gratified. I'll try to answer it as well as I can, though.
If I haven't cleared it up since PLMK where you're confused.

quote:
quote:

SQ had said,
quote:
even if the central theology is correct and agreed upon by all (Christ saves, follow Him), that could not be more irrelevant to our salvation. Better someone who does not fully understand, or even misunderstands, but still walks the road, than one who is correct and yet lost, or never seeks the road.
Now you say (still not sure of the system, but I opened a can of worms, and haven't made it to styx for training, sorry)

The basic message I get here is that though we may know we have to follow Christ, protestants are not doing so, for some reason. Why do you see us as not doing so? What is the fault?
How many people do you know who are earnestly following Christ? We're told to resist sin unto blood. Do we? I'm not saying that Protestants can't or don't in some cases follow Christ (nor do all Orthodox do so). Rather, that because the road was described as being narrow, and because it is difficult to follow Christ, why would one allow their own opinions to affect it in any way?
That is what SS encourages. AISB (that's "as I said before" - used to refer to something discussed at greater length before - is there another acronym or can I get something started here?) we don't say salvation is impossible outside the Church, but that it is difficult enough inside the Church that being outside of it, and it's Sacraments, makes no sense, once knows of the Church's existence.

quote:
If salvation is by faith, surely putting our trust in Jesus is enough, as he will then work on our hearts and show us how to follow him?
He told us how to follow Him, and he said Himself that it is difficult. That's why we need the best help we can find to encourage our spiritual growth.

quote:
Plus, we have the scriptures that we are sure haven't changed since, ooh, about 100AD to guide us on our way, and Christian friends to help us. Is not being in the Orthodox church enough to count us as "not on the road"? Looking back at what Jesus told His disciples then, from documents that are of verifiable age, He never mentioned a church of any name, but he did give instructions on how to follow Him. If I can use these to do so separately from Orthodoxy, surely that shows that Orthodoxy is not a requirement for "following the road", and so you shouldn't disqualify the protestants who are acting like you but merely not part of your church as "standing by the side of the road"?
That was said in a general sense, of all Christians. Much of what I said above applies here, but two additional points should be addressed.
First, RE the establishment of a specific Church: It is clear from Scripture that in some regard, however one defines it, Christ entrusted the apostles to preserve and spread the truth. At the same time, he spoke words which people interpret in different ways, but that the Church, and the RC Church, have always believed confers upon the Church that he was establishing that poower to act as an intermediary for the forgivness of sins, and the power to leave them unforgiven if a sinner is clearly unrepentant. Christ did this in order to encourage repentance and hope. AISB, this power was entrusted to future generations by the Apostles, and it happend inside of something that, a generation later, St. Paul would call "the church". That one church has always existed, and has always been brutally persecuted, first by the pagans, later by modern day pagans, the Communists. Every other Christian group is "outside" of this one unchanging entity.

I said,
quote:
if the path is obvious (follow Christ), why is it, and the gate, narrow
you replied
quote:
Because as you said, truly loving our neighbour, giving up some of our pleasures for him, (and not smacking my little brother round the face when he's annoying, and forgivign the guy who recently ran into me in his car) is hard to do. The gate is narrow because Satan still exists in the world, and he won't let temptation go away. We have all the information we need to follow God,
How can someone say that when they see the diffusion of belief around them, about walking the path and everything else related to our salvation?
quote:
it's just the willpower and strength that's lacking. If we really ask Him for help, He'll provide us with all that we need, it's just that for most people, we don't even really want to be made pure, it's too painful.

What is lacking is not willpower, but what is indicated in your next sentence, humility. I maintain that a central element of that humility is that we can't know the answers ourselves based upon our intellect. Something much firmer and concrete than our squishy brains is necessary.

quote:
In your second paragraph, you talk about Truth alot. Why is it capitalised, may I ask?
It's capitalized (great question) because, like God, it is singular. By definition. It is the only thing that is not contingent upon something else being true.

quote:
Is it because you believe the remaining patriachates to hold the one, unerring truth? How can you be so sure? When did God promise that? You said it was impossible for the whole church to err, but looking at the bible, it has already happened. Take Jesus, for example. I can remember possibly two pharissees who were not against him, and the establishment of Judaism had him murdered. So much for the preservation of Truth. Less than a century later, Paul wrote, when he wrote to "the church in Corinth" and John wrote, when he wrote to the seven churches, not to "yeah, the methodist church, just up the road from St Mark's" but to the church in it's entirety in one place. That was an age without fast transport, and most people would never stray far from their home town. THe churches he wrote to were the entire Christian life to most of the people involved. That was the entire church faltering. In Germany in Luther's day, how many people would ever get as far as Greece? Catholicism WAS The Church.

'Small c' churches did and do err, the 'big C' Church does not becuase it is guided by the Holy Spirit. But let me answer your central point. If we assume that the Creator could impart preservable Truth in all of its fullness (words on a page do not suffice to convey truth if they are interpreted in various ways), then that Truth has been preserved, as promised: "Ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free." If the Truth, by nature, is singular and unchanging, then to find it with any hope of certainty one would look for something unchanging. The Truth can be expressed in any number of beautiful ways, but if it changes or differs from what it has always been, it is no longer the 'Truth in itself' that Christians are called to accept as an article of faith.
Second, that Truth can be very broadly defined as "believe in" or "follow" Christ, the central element of it, the Truth in general. But from there we have all kinds of different ideas about HOW to do so. The Bible places great emphasis on self-denial as a central part of Christian life. How? Why? Can we encourage it? What's the best way? How about humility> What does it really mean? Repentance? The Bible also places great emphasis on spiritual growth. How? The answers to all of these questions is the fullness of Truth.

If someone chooses to believe that they know as much of the Truth as they need to know, or even all of it, I would suggest that while their knowledge may be extraordinary, their humility is not. Nor, unless they have broken their backs studying theology, are they very serious about finding the Truth - they start with the erroneous assumption that they can figure it out for themselves.

quote:
I could be a protestant living by myself on a desert island. All that is required is me and God. You seem to be saying that an organised church structure, well, one particular church structure, is required. Is God really mean enough to deny Himself to people who for insurmountable reasons can't be part of any structure?

Where the Creator dispenses grace is His choice, being an Orthodox Christian does not insure it. We hope in earnest that God's grace will extend to _every person_, through all time. Eternal suffering is inconceivable for even the most wicked (but we do believe in it). But given the tenuous nature of our immortal existence (few shall pass), it's best, when we are not marooned on desert islands, especially when we live in an age when communication like this is possible, to look at our options.

quote:
Oh, and JWs are as far from my beleifs as they are from yours. Muslims aren't Orthodox either, but that doesn't make them protestant.
They seem to protest a lot.

[fixed code - I hope]

[ 02. November 2005, 16:41: Message edited by: RuthW ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
When Jesus spoke about the church on earth, he was not guaranteeing an indestructable, infallible or impervious to error group. If he did, what would you have said to the churches in Asia Minor that no longer exist?
again, small c churches. The central trunk of Orthodoxy is both unchanging and eternal.
How can you say that Christ cannot impart Truth, and that the Holy Spirit cannot guide us in preserving it? That the Truth has been preserved throughout the Christian world is true in only a general sense. If you think otherwise, why do we not have a consistent answer to a question as basic as, "what is sin and how is it best avoided?" Don't bother to answer, your answer will be no closer to Truth than what I would come up with through my own reading of Scripture. No, the Truth in full, which may or may not be necessary for salvation (we'd better know) has not been widely preserved. It cannot have been, because millions of believers think, in spite of their neighbor thinking differently, that their mind is the source of truth. Who isn't guided by the Holy Spirit, you or your neighbor who disagrees with you about something central to our salvation?

quote:
The fact is that, through all its years of error, weakness, schism, faithlessness, triumph, success, reformation and renewal, the Church, the Body of Christ has done remarkably well to preserve the Gospel message and maintain the cause of Christ.
Your argument assumes that the Church is a purely physical thing. Christ entered the physical world as a physical being, in order to restore it, and humanity to communion with God. Throughout the first millenium, the Church was something concrete and physiscal that anyone could point to and say, 'that is Christ's church'. The Protestant idea that the Church is a spiritual entity only is made necessary by Protestantism, and was unknown to Christianity until Protestantism's inception.

[fixed code]

[ 02. November 2005, 16:42: Message edited by: RuthW ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

I wrote,
Indeed, and it took much less for the four other co-equal patriarchates to excommunicate the church at Rome for heresy.
Indulgences, papism, confessional penances, amd the entire mechanistic, legalistic salvation found in RC is not present in Orthodoxy. And as a general note that is often lost in these kinds of discussions, Orthodoxy is not about tradition and ritual first, rather it is about cultivating the divine within us, come closer to the "likeness" of God, after which we were made.

To which you replied,
quote:

I was not referring to the Orthodox. I was pointing out what I was familiar with and that was a practice that Rome had. However, now you have shown where someone in the church can go astray and you have excommunicated that body from your church so it is possible for what is called church to stray or lose the truth… is that what I hear you telling me?
quote:

Holy cow, I just looked at what I posted tonight and it's a bunch of boards in a row. I guess no one is insane enough to be up this late.

AISB, every instance of falling away was a small c church, even, in comnparison to the Church as a whole, RC. The Churck has never fallen away from itself or its beliefs. That's why I can defend it so easily. You may decide it's irrelevant to your salvation, but you can't deny its existence, it's claim to an adherence to Truth trumps all others.

quote:
eriksdahl later said,
quote:

In much of Protestantism that is true. I will emphasize that as Lutherans we emphasize the idea that God does the work. It is God that makes us holy and acceptable rather than our works with God's help. We believe that man is so enslaved to sin that he cannot make any choice towards God. Any choice is a choice to sin. That is most likely distinctly a Lutheran view.
quote:

Yes, and prior to Luther, this was a view unknown to mankind. How is it that this central truth of our existence remained buried for so long? It concerns directly our communion with the Creator.
The answer is that it is not a truth at all, but rather one person's interpretation of scripture that others have decided, of their own accord, to accept. The Orthodox understanding of the nature of sin and how it affects our salvation has remained unchanged for more than 1500 years.

This was not a view unknown to man but it is a view that is drawn from scriptures that are 2,000 years old. Older than the 1500 years you give as being important. These are views that Paul gave in scriptures. Why do you only claim 1500 years when Jesus walked the earth 2000 years ago? Did it take 500 years to develop something that was there earlier? Who decided that was the truth? Apparently man or the church is imperfect also and sometimes truths are covered up or lost until a fresh look once again uncovers what is so clear when is read again. You see you have shown me that the “church” can err by the fact that you have told me that the Orthodox excommunicated the church of Rome. Is it possible that in those 500 years it took for your church to come up with the “truth” that a man decided that your view was the truth? Hmmm…. How do you know that you have the truth?

I am not about to tell you that my brand of Protestantism is error free. It is not. We are an imperfect people who are part of an imperfect organization (church) who worship a perfect God. If you are happy thinking that you have the only view that has credibility then you will be walking a long, lonely road. If you are able to see others of us who have differing theologies than you do as being brothers, you will find that road a lot less lonely. I come away perhaps wrongly with the impression that you have your theological nose in the air… too good to see us under the same cross. Am I in error? I need to know. If so I do most humbly apologize for this impression.

Grace & Peace! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Grace and peace be with you as well, brother. My ego is not involved in this, but clearly I did not leave you with that impression. Please forgive my pride.
My proper approach is humility - you are my brother, even if we do not agree on the path of salvation. My greatest desire is to to defeat you, or impose my beliefs upon you, but to encourage you to explore the possibility that there is a capital T Truth (much is said about this above).
I wasn't born into Orthodoxy, I accepted it because I realized that if there is a reliable Christian Truth, Orthodoxy knows it. I could have chosen any other church, but once I learned about Orthodoxy I knew that doing so would be self-indulgent, I would be serving myself, rather than honoring what I believe to the Truth. Once I learned enough about it, it became unavoidable.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sophia's Questions

Welcome to SofF and I hope you find these boards helpful and illuminating. In that spirit, may I offer you a bit of advice?

In common with lots of others, I suspect, I would be grateful if you would take the trouble to learn how to enter quotations properly in the messages you post. Duo Seraphim has already asked you nicely and, in an attempt to make your messages intelligible, has spent what I imagine is a significant amount of time editing them. That is hardly fair on him. Unintelligibly posted messages - or ones which are difficult to read - are not fair on the rest of us - and defeat your desire to communicate effectively, which is hardly in your best interests either.

I am sure your opinions on Protestantism are worth reading - but it is very difficult to be sure!

You will find the Practice Thread in The Styx. It is the first thread on that board. There are examples there of all the main facilities.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

I said,
quote:

In relation to this same argument, Mudfoot said that JWs, 7DAs, Mormons and Unitarians are not Christian. Well, they think they are. Scripture warns that many would fall away from the Truth, but the insidious thing about heresy is that the heretic never thinks of himself as such. And he may believe more fervently and loyally than the rest of us, and may still walk the path. But every divorce from the Truth produces the possibility of something like the Mormons.

to which you said,

quote:
Nothing's gained by mincing words. The teachings of the JWs (& at least some Unitarians - its hard to be sure what they believe because one meets so few of them) are clearly Christian, but Christian heretics. Disbeleiving the Trinity and the divinity of Christ. As such they have less in common with most mainstream Protestant teaching than that does with Roman Catholics or the Orthodox. Their origins lie in Protestant christianity but htey have diverged very far from it. Seventh Day Adventists are a Protestant church, yes. They have some teachings the rest of use find weird or heretical but I don't think they belong in the same company as the others you mention. The Mormons, whatever they say about themselves, are not recognisably a Christian church. Their teachings are no more Christian than those of the Muslims. In fact less, Christianity and Islam agree with each other on more things than they agree with Islam.
I agree with you substantially here. And what makes the existence of JWs possible? Sola scriptura. They believe they are Christian, that they are following the Bible, and that all of their beliefs are """ Strictly Biblical ***.

We were told to expect this, but it is still agonizing to see it.
How are you, Ken, going to convince a JW that his ideas are incorrect? Upon what Truth will you base your arguments? You and he are arguing Bible verses, which you can both do until you are hoarse, and will budge the other nary an inch, because you know that at bottom there is nothing more compelling to your opponent's beliefs than his own faith in the rightness of them. Orthodoxy destroys one's vestiges of uncertainty about one's relation to their Creator. If a person belongs to a Church outside of the only one with continuity going back to Christ and they believe that they know the Truth with any certainty, their faith is supported only by their conviction, bolstered by their spiritual successes. The same person, with the same earnestness toward the faith, does not have to place faith in his own intellect to find Truth. That doesn't mean we are dumb animals led by the nose, we still ask questions, but we know there are answers that are definitive. So the same person will grow more in Orthodoxy, even if nothing changed aside from the introduction of the Sacraments and the various spiritual disciplines. And that person will think themselves more sinful than they did when entering Orthodoxy, they will, if they are growing, be humbled, and realize more clearly how pervasive sin is, and how dependant we are upon grace given in answer to prayer to overcome it.

quote:

All four of those groups are Protestant, in that they deny the RC church and the Orthodox Church.

So did the Copts and the Nestorians. Would you call them Protestant?
quote:
OK, the origins of JWs are within Protestantism and their practices are in many wasy like those of Protestant churches, so yes, they are culturally Protestant. But the origial Arians were culturally Orthodox. Would it be fair to blame today's Orthodox for their errors?
You can't blame those who adhere to the truth for the willful falling away from it by others. Yes, the existence of Truth and the Orthodox Church established to guard it until the end of the age does, SINGULARLY, make the existence of heresy a possibility.
Could the JWs and the rest have developed absent the Protestant rerormation and/or the RC excommunication? I guess anything is possible, but it seems less likely in a world where one central Christian Truth - in its fullness - is understood by all, as was the case in the first millenium. Some Christian churches divorced themselves before Rome did, but the core remained intact. Most early heretics submitted with varying degrees of humility to the authority of the Church. Not for more than a thousand years did a really significant break happen, and it was over the nature of the 'manifestation' (for lack of a better term) of the Holy Spirit, a differentiation which makes today's differences look vast in comparison.

I'm not so sure about the Mormons - I suspect that many of the original Mormons came from a Roman Catholic background though I am not sure - at any rate both their doctrine and practices were totally unlike those of Christian churches from very early on in their history. Whatever Christian influences there were on the founders of that religion makes little difference now they have dverged so far. The historical background of the birth of Islam is in the encounter between Syrian Christianity (Orthodox Christianity?) and Arab paganism. But that doesn't mean that it woudl be right to say that Father Gregory's church has Muslim doctrines (or vice versa)

quote:
quote:

Having decided to ignore the reality of the historic Church, they could only claim to recreate it through faith and a diligent reading of Scripture. But this belief is not a part of any Christian dogma until Protestantism surfaced. This belief is so elastic that it allows for the likes of Joseph Smith and what's-his-name-the-JW-guy to both believe that they were moved by the spirit. Without the guidance of the Church, it is difficult to know if one is moved by the Spirit or by something nefarious. We don't know Smith's heart (he appears to have been of dubious character) so can't know if he thought he was actually moved by God or not. Likewise, whoever started up unitarianism and the other universal salvation beliefs probably also felt so moved.

Quite the opposite. Centering our faith and practice around the reading and teaching of Scripture can actually us from wandering far from God's guidance by chasing after the heretical innovations of preachers and teachers - whether Protestant or Orthodox or Roman.

Every innovation, and every radical, errant preacher has its genesis in the same place, someone reading it and deciding that they know Truth.

quote:
quote:

This is not something that you will find in any Bible. Scripture tells us that when individuals err in the Church they are to be corrected, but there is never the notion that the Church will err. It cannot err if it is guided by the Holy Spirit. The constancy in the Church is a testament to this guidance.

But as you said it is the small-c individual churches that have gone wrong from time to time, not the Church of God, the Bride of Christ. And those small-c churches that err include Orthodox as well as as Protestant churches. [/QB]
Lots of small c Orthodox churches - meaning not branches of Orthodoxy, but actual churches or jurisdictions have erred. The large C Church is guided by the Holy Spirit.

[Fixed rogue UBB]

[ 03. November 2005, 01:19: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Originally posted by dinghy sailor:
Ken's post reminded me of something I was going to say, which he's basically said. When SC mentioned the unerring, Spirit-guided church, how can you be sure that was referring to any church that is in any way visible. Could it be that the 'Church with a big C' is actually the body of all believers on Earth, the invisible church, as such? And then, yes, churches within that can err, including the EO, but that great invisible body of believers, containing Prot, Cath, EO and who knows what will prevail. Could it be that protestantism was and is the guidance of the Spirit helping the Church to survive as the manmade structures of human churches crumbled and went off the rails?

If so, fullness of Truth is unavailable to us, because we cannot agree upon it. And the Bible refers to the Church as glorious plant grown from a mustard seed, there is no mention of death, or derailment, or rebirth. Christ's Truth, once imparted, is with us forever and is accessible to us forever.

[fixed code]

[ 03. November 2005, 01:14: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:
Ken's post reminded me of something I was going to say, which he's basically said. When SC mentioned the unerring, Spirit-guided church, how can you be sure that was referring to any church that is in any way visible. Could it be that the 'Church with a big C' is actually the body of all believers on Earth, the invisible church, as such? And then, yes, churches within that can err, including the EO, but that great invisible body of believers, containing Prot, Cath, EO and who knows what will prevail. Could it be that protestantism was and is the guidance of the Spirit helping the Church to survive as the manmade structures of human churches crumbled and went off the rails?

If so, fullness of Truth is unavailable to us, because we cannot agree upon it. And the Bible refers to the Church as glorious plant grown from a mustard seed, there is no mention of death, or derailment, or rebirth. Christ's Truth, once imparted, is with us forever and is accessible to us forever.
But Jesus also spoke about fruitless branches being cut off.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Originally posted by Joyfulsoul:
quote:

Neither you nor Mudfoot replied to my central issue with Protestantism, that even if the central theology is correct and agreed upon by all (Christ saves, follow Him), that could not be more irrelevant to our salvation.

Well, then I'm afraid we can have no mutual understanding. The most important thing to Christ as he stated was to love God and to love your neighbor. All the Prophets and the law could be summed up in this. Have you ever considered that perhaps you are deviating from Christ's commands, according to his word?
If you are saying that I am being cruel, forgive whatever offense I made, please. If you are saying that I am deviating from that is expected of me by my Creator, perhaps, but if our concern is the fullness of Truth, I don't err in where I find it. My claim of being correct (to the limited extent of my knowledge) about theological things is not based upon my intellect, it is based upon humble submission to the Truth of the communications from the Creator, as understood by the ever present OC, some of which I wish were not true, oy vey.

quote:
quote:
Either The Creator was able to impart truth or he was not. One may find edification in the pages of Scripture, but unless ones reading is in accord with the Fathers of the Church and with it's dogma, what claim can it have to truth? If any, is it a higher claim than a fellow protestant with an opposite interpretation? We can spend countless lifetimes reading Scripture, but in the end, how do we know if what we have gleaned is Truth?(italics mine, js)

I believe in a God who raised man from the dead, I believe in a God who spoke and bang the universe started to unravel, I believe in God whose main premise is that he loves people, I believe in a God that is intelligible, I believe in a God that wants to speak to us, I believe in a God who likes love stories, and surely if this God touched lepers and spoke to outcasts and shared Truth, likewise I put my trust in Him and I don't have to be afraid of error not because I'm perfect or have perfect revelation. But I'm not afraid to make mistakes because the God who made the Universe is capable enough to help me. If you have any questions, you can ask him about that.
I agree with every word you said above. Error does not damn us unless it impinges on our salvation, and that is what must concern us. The appeal of Orthodoxy in this regard is not in minutiae and detail about services, it is in its Sacraments, its disciplines, it's moving understanding our our loving God, and in the confidence born of both faith and knowledge, that we are part of something everlasting in the truest sense of the word.
Your words paint you as a loving and feeling person, can you find salvation outside of Orthodoxy? Sure, but unless the same people who have been believing and doing and living the same Truth since the beginning are likely to be of greater aid to you in your spiritual growth than someone who deviates from the one and only consistent understanding of Truth in significant ways.

quote:
quote:
Finally (if you read this far), regarding the Orthodox view of salvation, we believe that following Christ is difficult, and requires discpline, and is a life-long process, during which we can decide to turn away from our Creator. We have free will. We don't save ourselves through works - that would impose an obligation upon God. Rather, works are the fruit of each Christian vine, and in doing them we cultivate the foundational virtues of Christianity, without which one cannot follow Christ with any success: humility, obedience, repentance, and love.

[Smile]

Well, I'm glad that God has shown us the same things. [Smile]
Wonderful! If you were here I would hug you.
[fixed rogue UBB code]

[ 03. November 2005, 01:08: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

quote:
Your characterization of the use of icons, artwork, etc. as "image worship" is the same argument used by the defeated iconoclasts, and it is grossly inaccurate. If the Church thought that the use of icons encouraged believers to be put anything ahead of God, the Church would not use icons. If you want to know about them please ask, I would be glad to tell you what I know.

I hope you're going to learn how to post on a bulletin board very quickly because your failure to do so makes your vast posts completely unintelligible.

This one is intelligible, and utterly devoid of reason.

You quote my entire post - where the hell in there do I say that "the use of icons is image worship"?

Where do I say it is wrong?

You are responding entirely to things I never said, and ignoring what I did say.

What I said could not possibly be said more clearly, so I'll just say it again:
The second commandment forbids the use of images.
Catholics, Orthodox, (and many Protestants) use images.
Christians have an authority higher than the Ten Commandments.

If you are able to read that and respond to what it says, please do so.

If not there's no need to continue here, because failure to grasp the basic elements of rational conversation is your cause's worst advertisement, and doesn't do much for the rest of us either.

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Sophia's Questions

Welcome to SofF and I hope you find these boards helpful and illuminating. In that spirit, may I offer you a bit of advice?

In common with lots of others, I suspect, I would be grateful if you would take the trouble to learn how to enter quotations properly in the messages you post. Duo Seraphim has already asked you nicely and, in an attempt to make your messages intelligible, has spent what I imagine is a significant amount of time editing them. That is hardly fair on him. Unintelligibly posted messages - or ones which are difficult to read - are not fair on the rest of us - and defeat your desire to communicate effectively, which is hardly in your best interests either.

I am sure your opinions on Protestantism are worth reading - but it is very difficult to be sure!

You will find the Practice Thread in The Styx. It is the first thread on that board. There are examples there of all the main facilities.

I don't know if these later ones are intelligible or not, I won't post anything else until I figure it out. Thanks for the - again kindly delivered - advice, and my thanks to Seraphim for cleaning up after me.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

That's more like it.

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I'll deal with more issues later, but right now I have to go out, so I've only got two things to say:

quote:
Originally posted by Sophia's Questions
we can say without hesitation that sola scriptura is responsible for all error which afflicts Christians

Have you ever heard of a guy called Leo X? Tell me that.

Secondly, Sophia, you'll notice when you post messages that there is a button saying, "Preview Post" beside the one that says, "Add reply". If you press this, you can see what your post will look like, but can still do things to it. It would be helpful if you used this to see if you've made any mistakes. Thanks.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to pile on more of the same exact sentiments ad nauseum, but in a slightly different vein, I'd like to say that I AM interested in what you've had to say, SQ, but I haven't quite been able to follow and don't exactly feel inclined to decipher it out.

From what I gather, you are saying that simply reading scripture on your own and trying to determine it's truth is the cause of all individual church's errors, but that trusting in the Church and its tradition is the only way to avoid the heresies inherent to individual scriptural interpretations, etc.

Is that correct? If not could you point out how I've misrepresented you in 50 words or less?

-Digory

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sophy's Questions:

PLEASE LEARN TO USE THE CODING!!! (yes, I'm yelling)

I tried, and failed, to fix the code on several posts so that people reading them could work out what you were saying and who you were replying to. This is past being funny, and while you are still an apprentice, it's time to take a pause and visit the practice thread in the STyx and figure out how to use code.

As well, there is a custom that (barring accidents or second thoughts) posters don't post more than one or two at a time. That's why you will sometimes see an apology in a post for having posted three times in a row. Three is a lot. But four or five in a row suggests you are not taking the time to sit back and think of how to make your points effectively.

And a word of advice -- most people will simply not read posts as long as some of the ones you have produced.

John Holding
Purgatory Host

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
andreas1984, You started this OP on the premise of:
quote:
I want to use this thread so that we can all learn more about Protestantism, especially what modern Protestants believe in and what they believed in throughout their (brief) history.
Would you mind if I asked you...what is your goal?
Why do you want to learn more about what Protestants believe? Do you have a inner spiritual battle? Or do you simply think we are so far-gone wrong that you want to study us?

I ask as somebody who is struggling with my own belief system right now - I may be a Calvinist Reform-leaning Christian - but I am open minded to respect others traditions and learn from them. I do not feel fit to contribute to these threads right now that you started but I am enjoying the replies. (SteveTom, I usually hate this emoticon...but I will use it for your replies on this...well done. Patience of saint. [Overused] )

I would like an answer to this if you are able to. You have started a series of threads digging into Luther's Children and so I am curious.

It was my birthday on Halloween and I will say "Birthday Power!" if that will persuade you. [Biased]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear duchess

Happy Birthday!

These threads are the result of something Trisagion said a few months ago. He said that I don't know much about Protestantism and Roman Catholicism, and I shouldn't be quick to judge (or words to that extent). I think he is right. This is why I started these threads, to get to know Protestants and Protestantism more. I want to get a better understanding because of a hope I have. I hope that the things we have in common are far more important than the things that keep us apart.

In the past few days I learned that Orthodox, Roman Catholics and Protestants share an understanding that all good things come from above, and that man cannot achieve anything good on his own. This basic agreement, from my point of view, is fundamental. It is also shocking, because of all the prejudice hundreds of years created. It seemed as if we differed on that important issues, but it turned out that appearances were indeed deceptive.

Andreas

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not sure what you meant by the last bit. Yes, you are correct, sola scriptura has led to all manner of error. Now, can truth beget error? Things breed true over time, error begets error, truth begets truth.
If there is such a thing as an arbiter of truth, a church who really understands the Bible because their earliest members heard about it from the lips of the Master, and passed it on intact, then we can say without hesitation that sola scriptura is responsible for all error which afflicts Christians. A bold statement, but consider it: What was the genesis of the excommunication of the church at Rome in 1054? SS. A group of people picking up the Bible and deciding that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the The Father _and_ the Son, in direct conflict with the universal Christian Creed, and insisting on telling believers about their new belief. Does it affect our salvation? Likely not. So why the fuss? Why did the Church lop off one of its limbs? Because allowing error to persist in the Church means that everything is open to error. The Truth, in the view of the Church, is sacred and inviolable.
The Church at Rome was also becoming attached to the idea that the pope was able to discern and explain biblical truth with God's help (the Bishop of Rome was called 'pope' for centuries before the RC excommunication, but it was a name only). This obviously opened up a giant pandora's box, and militated against the understanding of the Church, which is that the concensus of the councils of the Church and the consensus of the saints should guide us always.
The whole episode is a crying shame (literally), and led directly to Protestantism. But consider this: Even with the RC changes right from the get-go, RC theology and tradition and worship was satisfying and authentic enough that it took nearly half a millenium before changes came. To my mind, this speaks to the authenticity of Orthodoxy - its vestige carried believers along for nearly 500 years.

My belief is that Truth is Jesus. Everything else is subject to error of one kind or another. We can do our best to avoid error and seek Truth, but error happens. If error did not happen then there would have been no purpose for Truth to come and walk among us. The Church does try and attempt to keep the Truth as free from error as possible, but we are all human and we all fail. Only one human has not erred or failed and that is the one who I put my trust in not the people or organizations (no matter how well meaning they are)of this world.

quote:
Originally posted by Sophia's Questions: Perhaps this is a matter of semantics. Surely we will all have a different journey if we decide to follow Christ. But the road is the same. The contours, the signposts, the difficulties, the destination. The Creator would not leave it up to each of us to figure it out for ourselves. The road and the walking of it must be known to us if we are the creations of a loving God...This kind of thinking is not fruitful. How can a narrow road be compared to a variety of circuitous routes? It also reduces the object of our existence - salvation - to just another destination. It is the only destination worth reaching, and as I noted in an earlier post, if we were truly convinced that we are immortal and that our life in Christ can be prone to error (look around), then we would be earnestly searching for truth, and would not rest with a "road" to salvation until we were certain that we were right.
I believe that the purpose of my life is being able to be with Jesus and my Heavenly Father in Heaven. There is only one way to set myself on the path to Heaven (by accepting Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and trusting in his mercy), but the route which I travel is the one that He and I have found, are on, and will find in the future. If I am lost, then my seeking Him and His Truth will bring me back onto the path. If it appears that my path is not the straightest, it may be so that I might meet people and help people along their way to Heaven and Him. To me all that matters is that I find my way Home, not how long it takes or how many pit stops and scenic tours I take along the way. What does matter to me is that I make it. I know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know if these later ones are intelligible or not, I won't post anything else until I figure it out. Thanks for the - again kindly delivered - advice, and my thanks to Seraphim for cleaning up after me.

Thank you for this, Sophia's Questions - that's very much appreciated.

Welcome to the Ship!

Duo Seraphim, Purgatory Host

--------------------
Embrace the serious whack. It's the Catholic thing to do. IngoB
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

Posts: 7952 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
whitelaughter
Shipmate
# 10611

- Posted      Profile for whitelaughter   Email whitelaughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What makes you think that your feeble mind - or my feeble mind - can understand scripture better than the concensus of the first millenium of Christianity? Why would any single individual look at the universal understanding of the faith from the first millenium of Christianity and think that any thought they might have would compare to the wisdom of that consensus? That question demands an answer.

[fixed quote code] [/QB]

That's actually a very good question!
Most importantly - I don't believe that I can reliably interpret scripture. Given that I can see other people making obviously stupid mistakes, and the doctrine of original sin excludes my own perfection, it is prudent to assume that I am misinterpreting scripture. Not could be - am.
However - how is blindly following another human going to solve that problem? It merely means that *they* make mistakes, and then I have to interpret what they say - adding another layer of error. It's like copying a cassette tape repeatedly - each copy will be worse. By going to the original, I delete 2000 years worth of stuff ups.
Of course, correction is necessary. If 'every Protestant is their own Pope', how have we managed to hang together in denominations for 4 centuries? The glory goes to God, who arranged for Scripture to be very clear (given the subject matter).

The consensus of the first millenium? No such animal.
There is a consensus in the early church. I've read many of the writings of the church fathers. Clement's plea to the Corinthians inspires awe: his humility, love and holiness shine through every word. I am grateful to my RC friend who passed on the claim that Clement claimed to rule the church, without him I might never have known about Clement. But having read the letter, I know that Clement didn't claim to rule the church, didn't even claim to oversee all of Rome. Similarly, Ignatius of Antioch (although a nutter)wrote letters which are very edifying - and once again the claims (and quotes!) supporting Rome domination simply aren't there. Any time someone claims that so-and-so supported Rome's authority, demand to see the text. I've *never* known the claim to be true.
There is another 'consensus' later on, based on the Donation of Constantine. This blatant forgery was accepted as genuine by Rome for a millennia, and books that disproved it were banned. Finally, Rome now acknowledges it as a forgery. That's good, but if the denomination has been lying and/or gullible for most of it's history, why should anyone believe anything just because Rome says so?

Posts: 114 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whitelaughter...Sophia's Q is an Orthodox, not an Roman Catholic. So, he probably wouldn't follow Rome's way.

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
But Jesus also spoke about fruitless branches being cut off. [/QB]
Yes, and from what? If we say, 'from the Bible', then when two groups disagree on what the Bible means, which one has fallen away from the Truth, and how can we know?

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:

You quote my entire post - where the hell in there do I say that "the use of icons is image worship"?

Where do I say it is wrong?

You are responding entirely to things I never said, and ignoring what I did say.

What I said could not possibly be said more clearly, so I'll just say it again:
The second commandment forbids the use of images.
Catholics, Orthodox, (and many Protestants) use images.
Christians have an authority higher than the Ten Commandments.

If you are able to read that and respond to what it says, please do so.

Excuse me, Tom. I see now that you are apparently saying Christ repudiated this commandment and icons are now allowed. I took your first comment to mean that it was incorrect to use them, according to the 2nd commandment, and my comment about image worship was made not quoting you, but in reference to the resistance to icons.

As to your point - And if I don't have it this time you are a whole lot deeper than I am -

The Church believes that the Decalogue is still in force, there is no need for the intermediation of God with God, or a changing of His 'mind' or 'disposition' to make the use of Icons proper, it is proper and conforming to the 2nd commandment. And AISB, with the exception of a stretch of dispute in the latter part of the first millenium and Protestantism, Christians have always accepted the use of icons.

The only way for your argument to make any theological sense is if you are arguing what you never mention, but what some do in support of icons: Christ's entry into creation as a physical being restored grace to matter, and so removed some kind of stigma attached to matter. I take no position on this, I don't know enough about it. But if true, it could make your argument true.

Thanks for your patience with my earlier incompetent posts. I should have taken the time to learn to do it properly. To all I caused frustration, I am sorry.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

whitelaughter
Shipmate
# 10611

- Posted      Profile for whitelaughter   Email whitelaughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whitelaughter...Sophia's Q is an Orthodox, not an Roman Catholic. So, he probably wouldn't follow Rome's way.

Interesting! What level of authority does the Orthodox church claim in doctrinal disputes? I was under the impression that they felt that a church council was required to make such decisions.
Given the national divisions of the Orthodox churches, I'm somewhat surprised that England didn't go Orthodox. I'd love to see more dialogue between Protestants and Orthodox! It'd be bound to turn up interesting stuff.

Posts: 114 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Okay, I'll deal with more issues later, but right now I have to go out, so I've only got two things to say:

quote:
Originally posted by Sophia's Questions
we can say without hesitation that sola scriptura is responsible for all error which afflicts Christians

Have you ever heard of a guy called Leo X? Tell me that.

He excommunicated Luther. Why did Luther exist as a force in history in the way he did? It took 500 years for him to come along. Nowhere in the history of the Church was there an example of something as radical as a Luther. Every other excommunication, or theological dispute that required the resolution of a universal council of Bishops was more subtle, in most obvious ways, than the heresy addressed and corrected by the Church, always in light of it's consistent understanding of scripture.
The Church attempted to get Rome to see the error of their ways. But _their reading of scripture_ told them something that directly contradicted the Creed, which was encapsulated in 325 and affirmed by all seven universal councils. RC made Luther possible, and sola scripture made the RCC possible.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:

From what I gather, you are saying that simply reading scripture on your own and trying to determine it's truth is the cause of all individual church's errors, but that trusting in the Church and its tradition is the only way to avoid the heresies inherent to individual scriptural interpretations, etc.

Is that correct? If not could you point out how I've misrepresented you in 50 words or less?

-Digory

That's right, trusting in the Church's understanding both of theology and the path of salvation.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
quote:
[qb] Not sure what you meant by the last bit. Yes, you are correct, sola scriptura has led to all manner of error. Now, can truth beget error? Things breed true over time, error begets error, truth begets truth.

My belief is that Truth is Jesus. Everything else is subject to error of one kind or another. We can do our best to avoid error and seek Truth, but error happens. If error did not happen then there would have been no purpose for Truth to come and walk among us. The Church does try and attempt to keep the Truth as free from error as possible, but we are all human and we all fail. Only one human has not erred or failed and that is the one who I put my trust in not the people or organizations (no matter how well meaning they are)of this world.
What you are relying upon is your understanding of Jesus. As are the universal salvationists, and the annhilists, and the JWs.
The only 'church' that can claim to consistently defend a single Truth is the only one which has ever done so. We believe that it is guided by the Holy Spirit, and I would argue that this is manifestly so. Consider the supposedly inviolable American Constitution. People poured out rivers of blood, sweat, and tears in an effor to secure self-governance, and established a governing document which today has been twisted beyond recognition in many cases. That's less than 200 years later, with some of the most brilliant minds and strong hearts defending it. The fact that the Church's theology is unchanged should suggest to an objective observer that something is protecting it from error.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
quote:

I believe that the purpose of my life is being able to be with Jesus and my Heavenly Father in Heaven. There is only one way to set myself on the path to Heaven (by accepting Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and trusting in his mercy), but the route which I travel is the one that He and I have found, are on, and will find in the future. If I am lost, then my seeking Him and His Truth will bring me back onto the path. If it appears that my path is not the straightest, it may be so that I might meet people and help people along their way to Heaven and Him. To me all that matters is that I find my way Home, not how long it takes or how many pit stops and scenic tours I take along the way. What does matter to me is that I make it. I know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
All of our strivings after Christ are crooked, all but the most Christlike are as toddlers, walking on unsteady feet. Even the saints we can only see as little ones, their arms outstretched, their tiny strides urgent and firm.
Brother, I don't mean to denigrate your life in Christ. I seek only to get you to confront the possibility that there is an existing truth about how we are best able to follow Christ.
Consider: If you were to visit a foreign land which knew nothing of Christianity, and you gave Bibles to 1000 people, and isolated them for a week, after that week many would say that it was a wonderful story with a somewhat confusing ending, or ask if the sequel is out, or ask if it is the basis of a religion, and, if so, what can we tell them about it? I suppose that it's possible that a few of the readers would already be on a spiritual journey, and all of them may lead unerringly to communion with God through faith. But I would wager that it would be a small number.

I would also wager that your walk is not based upon your own reading of Scripture alone, you didn't pick up a Bible and try to figure it all out for yourself - your presence here testifies to that. So what do you rely upon? You read something affecting, something that resonates, and you incorporate it into your Christian worldview. But though it may come from outside of your mind, your mind is still the arbiter of truth.
That's an uncertain foundation for the discernment of truth. If you think otherwise, you are either speaking from pride, or from the lofty heights of knowledge that most can only gaze upon from afar.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Originally posted by whitelaughter:
quote:

[fixed quote code]

That's actually a very good question!
Most importantly - I don't believe that I can reliably interpret scripture. Given that I can see other people making obviously stupid mistakes, and the doctrine of original sin excludes my own perfection, it is prudent to assume that I am misinterpreting scripture. Not could be - am.
However - how is blindly following another human going to solve that problem? It merely means that *they* make mistakes, and then I have to interpret what they say - adding another layer of error. It's like copying a cassette tape repeatedly - each copy will be worse. By going to the original, I delete 2000 years worth of stuff ups.

Let's cut to the chase: find me a reference in Scripture where the entirety of the Apostolic Church erred, or was said to be capable of erring, not in its parts, in its small c churches, and in the views of many of its members, but in its entirety.
Your view of interpretation is refreshing coming from a Protestant standpoint, that when we rely upon ourselves, we err, but that does not extrapolate to the God-guided Church, which has chiefly concerned itself with preserving the Apostolic Church in purity, defending against _wrong_ interpretations of Scripture.
When we submit to the authority of the Church, we are not acknowledging the truth as delivered by one man or even a council, but the consensus of the faith from the beginning, punctuated and beautifully elucidated in the writings of the hundreds of holy Fathers of the Church, many of whom died martyrs, most of the rest died as saints, someone whose humility, love, and loving obedience are so evident that they are manifestly Christlike.

quote:
Of course, correction is necessary. If 'every Protestant is their own Pope', how have we managed to hang together in denominations for 4 centuries? The glory goes to God, who arranged for Scripture to be very clear (given the subject matter).

The consensus of the first millenium? No such animal.
There is a consensus in the early church. I've read many of the writings of the church fathers. Clement's plea to the Corinthians inspires awe: his humility, love and holiness shine through every word. I am grateful to my RC friend who passed on the claim that Clement claimed to rule the church, without him I might never have known about Clement. But having read the letter, I know that Clement didn't claim to rule the church, didn't even claim to oversee all of Rome. Similarly, Ignatius of Antioch (although a nutter)wrote letters which are very edifying - and once again the claims (and quotes!) supporting Rome domination simply aren't there. Any time someone claims that so-and-so supported Rome's authority, demand to see the text. I've *never* known the claim to be true.
There is another 'consensus' later on, based on the Donation of Constantine. This blatant forgery was accepted as genuine by Rome for a millennia, and books that disproved it were banned. Finally, Rome now acknowledges it as a forgery. That's good, but if the denomination has been lying and/or gullible for most of it's history, why should anyone believe anything just because Rome says so? [/QB]

I'm sorry, I thought I'd made it clear that I'm Orthodox. I agree that many things pertaining to the RCC are riddled with error.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Sophia's Questions
Shipmate
# 10624

quote:
Originally posted by whitelaughter:
quote:

Interesting! What level of authority does the Orthodox church claim in doctrinal disputes? I was under the impression that they felt that a church council was required to make such decisions.
Given the national divisions of the Orthodox churches, I'm somewhat surprised that England didn't go Orthodox. I'd love to see more dialogue between Protestants and Orthodox! It'd be bound to turn up interesting stuff.

The church doesn't recognize the ecumenical movement, claiming sole posession of authority as passed on by the Apostles. The national churches are to mostly a reflecion of cultural desires and language differences, we all profess the same Creed, follow the same liturgy and share the same Communion cup.
I know that the Anglican Church has been faithful in many regards to their faith, and it is close to Orthodoxy in many ways, an eventual communion would be a blessing to all.

--------------------
I don't mean to offend.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it safe to come out now .....

andreas1984

It was good to see your recent post. This has been a very interesting thread to review (particularly when it has concentrated on your theme) and I'm not sure I want to add anything to the exchanges. A thought which did occur to me is that you may be able to supplement your increased understanding by doing some background reading. I observed in the other thread that protestantism is pretty kaleidoscopic, often self-contradictory in its different manifestations, pretty hard to "pin down". So there may be a bit of value in a bit of background reading - if you've got the time.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi again SQ.

I'll answer some of your points. Not all of them, as then this debate would be far too hard to do in one thread, and I think that we actually agree more than first appearences show regarding justification, for instance.

As I said before, when John wrote to the churches in Laodicea and Sardis (Revelation 3) they weren't merely 'local' churches that were erring. They weren't a body of believers that, though they may err, could be corrected by looking at the other body of beleivers just up the road. They were the only church that anyone without significant time and money would ever see, in that century. It didn't matter one jot that another church in Athens or wherever was doing fine, because any normal poor person from Laodicea would never ever have travelled to Athens. As far as they were concerned, they were the whole church. They were erring.

You missed my point about Leo X, I beleive, or else you're trying some form of logical coverup (by the way, yes, that's the right guy). Leo X denied the existence of God, but sold forgiveness from him. I can find neither of those supported in the bible. John XII engaged in devil worship and turned the Vatican into a brothel. I can find support for neither of these in the bible. THese guys, as far as it appears to me, were most definitely not sola scriptura. This is not a chance to advertise how great Orthodoxy is. It is not a chance to denigrate either the RCC (and that isn't my intention in this post, either) or protestants. This is not an opportunity to go off on a tangent, or talk about Martin Luther, or anything like that. Please tell me, in simple, logical steps, why Leo and John's many crimes were the result of sola scriptura.

Regarding your gedankexperiment about giving 1000 island dwellers bibles, of course only a few of them would come back to you with anything even resembling Christianity. Only a few people in the world, relatively speaking, are Christians. The road is narrow. The bible contains a lot to digest, and not everyone's prepared to take that step.

Finally, you still haven't answered a point I made a while ago. You say that the whole church cannot err. Let's say that's true for a minute. If the church is not any human construct, not any local church (and yes, that includes a church with the adjective "Eastern" before its name) but the worldwide, invisible communion of believers. How can you know that protestantism itself is actually the process by which not-the-whole-church errs? What if both the RC and EO are in error, and protestantism is the faithful remainder by which the church does not wholly fall? You say God promised that the whole, global church would never fall, but then apply that to one part of Christendom, rather than the whole of it. Why?

One last thing. As I write this, you posted six times before me, and you have been informed before that that's bad manners. Please work out what you want to say, all of it, before you post, so your multiple posts don't take up the entire page.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

quote:

And here are two:

1. The Protestant reformers never saw themselves as coming up with the true interpretation of the Bible for the first time. They believed they were restoring the faith of the Fathers and the Scriptures, after centuries of corruption by the medieval RCC.

2. Consensus? My head's reeling. Would that be the Monophysite consensus? The Nestorian consensus? The Paulician consensus? The gnostic consensus? The Donatist consensus? The chalcedonian consensus? The Origenist consensus? The Macedonian consensus? The Arian consensus? The semi-Arian consensus? The Aetian consensus? The Marcionite consensus? The Montanist consensus? The Ebionite consensus?....

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:
But Jesus also spoke about fruitless branches being cut off.

Yes, and from what? If we say, 'from the Bible', then when two groups disagree on what the Bible means, which one has fallen away from the Truth, and how can we know? [/QB]
Read the Bible:

"I am the real vine, and my Father is the gardener. He breaks off every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and he prunes every branch that does bear fruit, so that it will be clean and bear more fruit."
Jesus, quoted in John 15 v1,2

You can be cut off from Christ and be no longer a part of his life/body.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] Not sure what you meant by the last bit. Yes, you are correct, sola scriptura has led to all manner of error. Now, can truth beget error? Things breed true over time, error begets error, truth begets truth.

What you are relying upon is your understanding of Jesus. As are the universal salvationists, and the annhilists, and the JWs.
The only 'church' that can claim to consistently defend a single Truth is the only one which has ever done so. We believe that it is guided by the Holy Spirit, and I would argue that this is manifestly so. Consider the supposedly inviolable American Constitution. People poured out rivers of blood, sweat, and tears in an effor to secure self-governance, and established a governing document which today has been twisted beyond recognition in many cases. That's less than 200 years later, with some of the most brilliant minds and strong hearts defending it. The fact that the Church's theology is unchanged should suggest to an objective observer that something is protecting it from error.

Of course the theology of the church hasn't changed. Martin Luther didn't want to change the Biblical foundation of the creeds, he wanted to remove the overgrown weeds from the Truth so that it could be seen again.

Catholicism was (still is?) to the Gospel as Pharisaism was to the Torah. The Papacy added and added to the Gospel message so that it was obscured.

This encrustation didn't stop at the Reformation either: what about the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption. These are modern doctrines from the 19th and 20th centuries.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

Mudfrog, have you any idea what a pain in the tits it is to have to scroll through 700 words of quote to get to your 5-sentence reply?

If you want people to read the quote you're replying to, edit it drastcially. If not, don't post it. Please.

--------------------
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by SteveTom:
Mudfrog, have you any idea what a pain in the tits it is to have to scroll through 700 words of quote to get to your 5-sentence reply?

If you want people to read the quote you're replying to, edit it drastcially. If not, don't post it. Please.

Sorry, I forgot to do the editing.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016