homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: The Unimportance of Being Earnest - a Right to Reply (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: The Unimportance of Being Earnest - a Right to Reply
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
Ok educate me. Tell me how evangelical christianity helps me deal with a political issue like war in afganistan.

C

Make it more like "how being an evangelically-minded Christian might color your opinions and actions re: the war in Afganistan"... and I might be able to think of something.

Going into all the world, spreading the pure and simple Gospel, and teaching folks what Jesus taught the first disciples, might not have a uniform direct bearing on the evangelical mindset, from person to person.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
LXM
Apprentice
# 6968

- Posted      Profile for LXM   Author's homepage   Email LXM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
Ok educate me. Tell me how evangelical christianity helps me deal with a political issue like war in afganistan.

C

And we'll have different perspectives about whether Jesus' lordship means we should support action to rid the world of oppressive tyrants, or be merciful forgiving and try and offer restitution.
So I shouldn't just consider "What do you believe" to be the only question that allows me to reveal I am a Christian. Any question about nearly anything should do that.

quote:
It never even entered their head that all the "jesus is brilliant stuff" should actually change the way they thought about the world. Which was what I was trying to get them to think about.

A genuine encounter with grace should change EVERYTHING. And its that, I fear, that I have not been very good at teaching or modelling.

I think Lep's hit it right there. It's a change in attitude that marks out an (evangelical) Christian. A differing perspective on the world, that is borne out of the love we have for our Christian brothers and sisters (however hackneyed that may sound, it's true), and the love we have for all of God's created people. I'd go one step farther and say that we must love people like Saddam Hussein for the fact that they're people created by God. When he was captured I prayed fervently for him, that he'd become a Christian through the loving treatment and witness of his captors (and I know others prayed too). Love the sinner, hate the sin. But I'm digressing somewhat.

Again, the fact that "what do you believe" is not the only question that enables you to witness the gospel is a result of the life-changing nature of God's grace to us; we are called to "give [our] lives as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God. This is [our] spiritual act of worship" (Rm 12v1). It will involve proclamation, and it will involve persuasion, but both Tabby and Lep are right, making our lives totally different when we're in "evangelism mode" will make non-Christians think we're scary, weird and not particularly good friends.

NB For the record, I'm a he.

In the love of Christ,

-Lionel

--------------------
Love pie.
See the website for more about me.

Posts: 8 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
glen moranjie
Shipmate
# 7011

- Posted      Profile for glen moranjie   Email glen moranjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read Howard Ingham's article and found it remarkably unhelpful. All it seemed to say was that the christians needed to find better ways to evangelise and engage with the non-christian people around them - gee, fancy that?

A few thoughts of mine own then. (1) Evangelism is alwys going to be "difficult" as we are in a spiritual war, but it always was. Keep praying. (2) As an old vicar once said in a sermon, people don't mind you mentioning God, but they get unhappy when you mention Jesus. Again, nothing new there, whether the culture is one that worships many gods or none at all. (3) The paradox of evangelism is that although our culture changes the message of Jesus stays the same. There are no "gimmicks" that always work. (4) Christian Unions, like any church or christian group, depend on their members who are all fallible human beings, hence some groups will be stronger than others and have a different outlook. Having said that God has always used fallible human beings... (5) Some christians need the support of christians, so please don't knock them for that.

Okay, perhaps not much more helpful than Howard's article, but its only my first post. (Puffs calmly on post-poital cigarette, but only as a coedy device, as I don't smoke in real life.)

Posts: 159 | From: South London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Glen,

Welcome - for your information, the custom here is to refer to people by their given name rather than their real name, even if we know it (hence Wood).

I have some points I would like to discuss from your post.

First, what exactly is evangelism, and is it what UCCF does? Second, I would agree prayer is important, but does it not matter what we pray about? Third, I have never encountered anyone with a problem with someone talking about Jesus. It is the manner of discussion that people object to. Fourth, it is true that we are all fallible, but it is important to think and discuss the direction that institutions are taking us, especially parachurch organisations. Fifth, Christians clearly need support, nobody is arguing that they don't (as far as I know). I would dispute the point that CU is the best or even the only way to get christian fellowship.

Hope you enjoy your stay here and soon fit in.

Regards.

C

--------------------
arse

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We should be concerned for our Christian brothers and sisters in that country (of which there are a very few)

That country being Iraq. I can't find definitive sources but I was under the impression, and a Usenet search will provide some supporting evidence, that there are around a million Christians in Iraq, mostly of the Chaldean or Armenian kind, and other than that I know very little.
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
quote:
We should be concerned for our Christian brothers and sisters in that country (of which there are a very few)

That country being Iraq.
Although the case in question is this case was Afghanistan, it being a couple of years ago now. Where, under the Taliban, there really were very few.
The point being that while all the students had thought to pray for peace, it had never crossed their minds to pray for their Christian brothers and sisters, and for more open doors for the Christian message, which I would have thought were specifically Christian insights into the situation.

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Lep, I should never post before I'm fully awake (typically about 2pm). You're quite right, of course.
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OP of closed thread on the same subject ...
quote:
Originally posted by Coot (Such a nice boy):
Recent article in the Magazine by Howard Ingham. Thought provoking. I am at uni as an undergraduate this year - fully a generation older than my fellow students - and the most common phrase I hear is: "It's all good".

It's all good?! There must be an absence of scarcity! The government must have finally worked out how much to give students, that is, an amount under a living wage - but enough to survive on such that things are not so tight that they have to protest! (Or has the student population changed to be predominantly people for whom money is not an issue? [Tear] )

There is not enough. Not enough scarcity. Not enough injustice. Students are happy and adequately provided for. They aren't hungry to change structural factors - because structural factors suit them. [I have also noticed a change in the nature of study and assessment. Qualitatively - the workload from continuous assessment as well as tests is higher. Student habits seem different - going to the Ref or the Tav is no longer the de jure standard... about 50% go to the library in between classes! [Eek!] ]

There was a lot of apathy 20 yrs ago... there is more now! 20 yrs ago I was an unwilling activist (lol, some have activism thrust upon them) and a friend and I cranked out activisty broadsheets from our own resources to raise consciousness regarding various issues. Now I'm back... there is -nothing-. I want to start an alternative faculty handbook and a collective to try to get better prices for textbooks than the rip off ones charged by the uni bookshop... I don't know whether anyone else will be interested! They don't care! They want to get in, get the highest marks they can with the least effort and get out into the workforce. My classmates bought the $100+ a pop textbooks without even raising an eyebrow! Just handed over the cash. I don't see any poverty, and job prospects are high (but the first time around, youth unemployment was 25%). My most likely partner in crime in trying to get anything started is another guy of about 40!

Is the attitude the CUs are encountering a reflection of the greater social and economic comfort among the student population? Too many polite middle class people in our universities? [Snigger]

There was full on hostility to Christian groups 20 yrs ago. (lol, yes, Coot, proud persecutor back in the day). But that loathsome... tolerance! Now that's something I've only seen in the last 10 yrs. From people who grew up with institutions (haha!) which were dominated by a postmodern outlook. They are open to things. The problem is not that the message is incredible... the problem is that all messages have the same amount of worthiness.

Of course Christians don't think they do. So if the Christian message is the best why aren't the unwashed hordes of students (^H^Hetc^H label wearing, well-groomed students) discerning it as such? (Is the audience closed to the idea that something can be better than all other options?) We know it's the best. We shouldn't have to sell it - it should sell itself. I despise subtle suggestions of Christianity as a commodity that needs market research or a club that needs a recruitment drive.

It's all good!

(No it effing well isn't!)

quote:
Howard Ingham:
The old tactics – the shock of suffering, graphically explained, the horrors of the crucifixion, the fear of hell – these things don't have any effect any more. Virtually no one under the age of about 22 gives a monkey's about these things. Old-style missions don't wash any more. A fundamentally new way of relating to the young adults of now needs to be found by UCCF if they want to see people join them. No amount of surface-level image manipulation is going to change that.

Have a few thoughts on this, but I'll let someone else have a go first.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh. Thanks, Alan. [Hot and Hormonal]
I thought the article was new.
Shows how long since I had a look at the magazine!

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Acquainting myself with this thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
I have been racking my brains for three months now and the depressing thing is, I have to honestly say that I don't know. Some time ago, I reviewed God and the Generations for Third Way, which was a report produced by ACUTE, the doctrinal thinktank of the Evangelical Alliance.

In its discussion of the Millennial generation, the report said:

quote:
...insofar as it is possible at this early stage to define a 'mission strategy' or 'apologetic' for Millennials, it would seem to be in appealing to to the personal benefits which might accrue to an individual's well-being and sense of purpose, from putting their faith in Christ. Rather than presenting Christian virtues and values in moralistic or legal terms, it may be necessary to frame them as means of self-actualisation and lifelong security. Furthermore, without compromising the clear demands of of Christi for humility and preferment of others, Millennials may well respond best to a presentation of the Gospel which does not obviously reject ambition, drive and success as inimical to authentic discipleship.
(Hilborn and Bird 2002, p147)

So, in order to reach the Millennial generation, we have to give them a Gospel that essentially leaves out all the hard bits!?

And this from the EA! They spent piles of money researching it, and this is what they got?

No wonder I'm depressed and confused.

[Disappointed]

That excerpt is the sort of thing that disgusts me about Christians taking a market research oriented approach. I guess I should feel some comfort that an association as august as the EA is prepared to prostitute itself to find a marketting handle to reach the 'millenials' (so that's wot they're called). Here I thought it was just desperate corporate-minded episcopal prostitutes in the dying Diocese of Perth that did that sort of thing.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know its late in here, but seeing as Coot just turned the lights on - what's with this "any9one under the age of 22" business.

32 more like, if not 42.

Those of us on the chubby side of the mid-riff crisis got Bible stories at school when we were kids, and prayers and hymns at assemblies and all that. So there was some basic & fragmentary knowledge about Christianity coming from there. But all that pretty much ended in the 1970s for most schools other than church schools. So anyone under about the age of 30 doesn't have it.

The residual folk Christianity of the white English was dying out in my parents generation - back in the 50s & 60s. The present crop of undergraduates are as likely to be 3rd as 2nd generation post-churched.

I'm not knocking the article - all looks very plausible to me. Just wondering why it is news. In my memory students weren't that different 20 or 30 years ago. Apart from drinking more of course.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coot,

I don't want to make any statements for your own country, but you seem to have more or less had a similar experience to mine.

Ken,

I've made this point beforte, but I guess it can't hurt to say it again.

There is a difference, and although a fine distinction, it's a really important distinction. And it's about sensibilities.

Point is, ten years ago, if you evangelised people on the street, they'd be like, "how dare you press your views upon me!" etc. Their sensibilities would be outraged by what seemed to them to be a limiting and discriminatory viewpoint, and they'd assert their right to be "tolerant".

Now, they simply can't be bothered to have an opinion, and will allow any view to be said - no matter how extreme or offensive (and I'm talking about extreme right-wing and left wingers, racists, corporate apologists, all sorts of repugnant types). They might disagree, but they won't do anything.

In a climate of apathy, the inevitable result is the polarisation of politics. Since the moderate majority don't bother to vote, the extremists have a better chance of getting in (witness the low - 40%, I heard - turn-out and success of nutters like the BNP and UKIP in last week's council elections), and this is happening in SUs in microcosm, hence the recent spate of minority-led and minority-elected SU execs with axes to grind against CUs (by no means all of which are legitimate).

UCCF have, in my opinion, made the mistake of assuming that extremist SUs represent general student opinion, which is so utterly not the case, it'd be funny if it wasn't so frustrating, and if it wasn't such an obstacle to their witness.

Had UCCF had a policy of encouraging CUs to get involved in Student Politics, they could have had a stunning power block in our universities (remember, UCCF is the second largest British student organisation after the NUS itself). Instead, extremists they didn't bother to vote against are giving them a hard time.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Had UCCF had a policy of encouraging CUs to get involved in Student Politics

as some Muslim student organisations do (& have every right to do)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

quote:
Had UCCF had a policy of encouraging CUs to get involved in Student Politics, they could have had a stunning power block in our universities (remember, UCCF is the second largest British student organisation after the NUS itself). Instead, extremists they didn't bother to vote against are giving them a hard time.

You know, the possibility that CUs could have a stunning power block in universities chills me, especially here, where (my perception) 'CU' is synonymous with 'Jensenite'.
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You know, the possibility that CUs could have a stunning power block in universities chills me, especially here, where (my perception) 'CU' is synonymous with 'Jensenite'.
To be honest, I'm kind of neutral on the point. Some people find the idea terrifying. I don't, really.

It's a moot point, really. It won't happen. I can't see UCCF encouraging its students to get involved, because their theology of evangelism doesn't allow for it. And I'm not being snide. That really is how it appears to me to be.

[ 16. June 2004, 17:25: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

quote:
EA:
...insofar as it is possible at this early stage to define a 'mission strategy' or 'apologetic' for Millennials, it would seem to be in appealing to to the personal benefits which might accrue to an individual's well-being and sense of purpose, from putting their faith in Christ. Rather than presenting Christian virtues and values in moralistic or legal terms, it may be necessary to frame them as means of self-actualisation and lifelong security. Furthermore, without compromising the clear demands of of Christi for humility and preferment of others, Millennials may well respond best to a presentation of the Gospel which does not obviously reject ambition, drive and success as inimical to authentic discipleship.
(Hilborn and Bird 2002, p147)

I share Wood's dismay at the above excerpt from the EA's report. Not least because, the EA criticises Christians who they perceive as liberal as conforming to the world and watering down the message of Christianity to make it palatable to its hearers - and I see no difference in the tack the EA is suggesting to that which the people they criticise allegedly take.

quote:
EA:
Rather than presenting Christian virtues and values in moralistic or legal terms, it may be necessary to frame them as means of self-actualisation and lifelong security.

My God, I can't tell you how angry this one sentence makes me*! That is pure and unadulterated 'changing the message to make it palatable to the hearers'. And they have the gall to level this accusation at liberals! But actually no, they don't want to change the message, they want to frame it in liberal terms - hide the moralism and legalism! Absolutely breathtaking and shameful.

Liberal theology (on which I'm no expert), sells itself on the relational aspects: of God with people and people with people which it shares with the EAs theology; but if I was asked to summarise my understanding of how liberal theology works it would be that moral problems are approached with the question: 'Does it give life?' (rather than 'What does the bible say')

As I see it the EA now wants to use this approach: present Christian values as a means of 'self-actualisation and lifelong security'.

(lol, in my next post, I'll consider the 'Well what do you suggest' question)

* Almost as angry as: the deceitful suggestion of presenting the Gospel so it "does not obviously reject ambition, drive" etc

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Now, back to this
quote:
Wood:
The old tactics – the shock of suffering, graphically explained, the horrors of the crucifixion, the fear of hell – these things don't have any effect any more. Virtually no one under the age of about 22 gives a monkey's about these things. Old-style missions don't wash any more. A fundamentally new way of relating to the young adults of now needs to be found by UCCF if they want to see people join them. No amount of surface-level image manipulation is going to change that.

If Wood is a trustworthy commentator - and I think he is - what can you do if you drop 'the shock of suffering, graphically explained, the horrors of the crucifixion, the fear of hell'? And indeed, what can the more conservative traditions do?

Now it works for me... the contemplation of my unworthiness, and the lengths that the immortal infinite God went to, to offer me another path. But, if Wood is correct, this has no impact (as a trend) on the Millenials. Can they be made to appreciate it? Or does this particular message have to be dropped [Eek!] ? Can it indeed be dropped?! Not, I think, very readily by the conservative traditions - unless they want to sell out wholesale on a major theme of the way they approach faith. The liberal traditions are not so threatened by the millenial response, because their approach is fundamentally different: 'Does it give life?'; 'To be in relationship with God is the fullness of life' (You don't have to look to the contemporary stuff for this theme: Irenaeus 'The Glory of God is a human being fully alive'); Humans as the reflection of God's glory; and a rejection of what they disparagingly call 'Worm Theology'.

I'm not saying these themes are absent from the conservative traditions (except the emphasis is on 'humankind has been evil since its youth' rather than 'God created it and it was good'), but I think it's a fair thing to say that people are exhorted to recognise that they fall short of the Glory of God and are unworthy on their own merits even to stand in his Presence; with the result that when we stand in his Presence (and we all will) if we can't say: 'I'm with him (points to Jesus)' we're screwed. [That's not necessarily my position, but I think it's a view commonly held by the people in the conservative traditions].

I dunno. Can the conservative traditions package the gospel in a way that is appealing to the Millenials (my God, my gorge rises at even having to type that phrase) - because that's obviously what they're looking to do.

Actually, I think the only way to continue with any integrity is to take the hits (which is what the traditional parts of the Church have done, hang on to their tradition and not move with the desires of secular society), and resign yourselves to having a generation missing from the pews until they... grow up.

Not really answering questions just yet, but making explicit what I think are the issues.

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I think that the EA statement is being helpful. We have to learn to be culturally relevant I don't think that there is much point in preaching against the circumcism party these days, but I think that Paul was right to do it in his culture.

I suspect what the EA are getting at (and not always doing it well) is to say that we should not be looking for an instant turn around - everything I believed in the past was wrong now I must belive something different - but rather a gradual turning to follow God.

Afterall John Newton slave trader turned abolishinist caried on slave trading after he became a christain, it took a while for him to realise the errors of slavery. Similarly deciding to become a christian is the start of a relationship and a point in time when you have to accept a whole package of beliefs.

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Now, back to this
quote:
Wood:

If Wood is a trustworthy commentator - and I think he is -
Why, thank you.
quote:
what can you do if you drop 'the shock of suffering, graphically explained, the horrors of the crucifixion, the fear of hell'? And indeed, what can the more conservative traditions do?
I think the one thing I will say is that this particular method of evangelism is quite distinct from giving the goods on the cross. My problem is not with the Cross, but on the fact that the horrific nature of Jesus' death and the equally horrific nature of the evangelical hell is presented as if it were somehow enough to convince on its own merits.

Now, don't get me wrong - I think that the story of the cross and resurrection (and why so much more on the cross than the resurrection anyway? If the resurrection were not part of the deal, the cross would have no point) needs to be recounted, since it is the central narrative of the Christian faith (particularly for evangelicals).

But there needs to be a better way of communicating it, rather than get the guy from the local branch of the Church of the Apocalypse to spend twenty minutes yelling at the top of his voice at people about how they're going to hell. You can't shock people these days, not with the violence you see on the telly as a matter of course.

Incidentally, the guy who spoke on the Wednesday was pretty scary. He began by saying "If what I'm about to say offends you... that's all right by me. The Bible says it's my job to offend people," (err, no... not in the version I have) and towards the end, he said "...and that's why we worship a TORTURED, BLOODY CORPSE!" (um, and there was me thinking that Christians worshipped a risen, triumphant Saviour). He also said that Hell existed because God loved us (um, OK. My head still hurts months afterwards when I try to make sense of that one).

It made me angry, that talk. Loads of judgement... hardly any grace.

quote:
Now it works for me... the contemplation of my unworthiness, and the lengths that the immortal infinite God went to, to offer me another path.
Well, me too. But trying to shock doesn't work any more.

quote:
Or does this particular message have to be dropped [Eek!] ? Can it indeed be dropped?! Not, I think, very readily by the conservative traditions - unless they want to sell out wholesale on a major theme of the way they approach faith.
Therein lies the problem.

I don't think it can be dropped. However, what can be dropped is the attempt to shock, the appeals to fear and disgust. These don't work.

quote:
The liberal traditions are not so threatened by the millenial response, because their approach is fundamentally different: 'Does it give life?'; 'To be in relationship with God is the fullness of life' (You don't have to look to the contemporary stuff for this theme: Irenaeus 'The Glory of God is a human being fully alive'); Humans as the reflection of God's glory; and a rejection of what they disparagingly call 'Worm Theology'.
I think they still have their problems. There's always been a weakness in the liberal traditions in their inability to get organised and get off their collective backside and do stuff. In the next few years, I see this being exacerbated.

I should also point out that while I'm pretty sure that, after interviewing students in a dozen or so universities (yes! Not one! Loads, dammit! So stop telling me I'm talking rubbish because it was "only one university", will you? Yes, you! You know who you are!), I've got an idea of what the Millennial generation are like in the UK, I can't speak for Australia (although your own experience is interesting, Coot).

Meanwhile, evidence suggests that what's happening in the USA is more or less completely opposite. Evangelical Christianity is, notwithstanding its own claims to the contrary, is big business, and among the youth, there's a real growth in youth political movements and in groups like The Silver Ring Thing and True Love Waits*. Now compare the amount of success these groups have had when they've tried to import them (ie virtually none whatsoever).

quote:
I think it's a fair thing to say that people are exhorted to recognise that they fall short of the Glory of God and are unworthy on their own merits even to stand in his Presence; with the result that when we stand in his Presence (and we all will) if we can't say: 'I'm with him (points to Jesus)' we're screwed. [That's not necessarily my position, but I think it's a view commonly held by the people in the conservative traditions].
More or less the size of it, I think.

quote:
Actually, I think the only way to continue with any integrity is to take the hits (which is what the traditional parts of the Church have done, hang on to their tradition and not move with the desires of secular society), and resign yourselves to having a generation missing from the pews until they... grow up.
You think?

I don't know. I see UCCF staying as a minority, but as an increasingly vocal one. Thing is, although the church in the UK is slowly dying, the evangelicals are still strong. They constitute the vast, vast majority of student Christians already (because of what I said earlier in this post about
liberals suffering from apathy worse than anyone), and I see no reason why that should change.

I'll get me coat.

[ 18. June 2004, 16:22: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

The Black Labrador
Shipmate
# 3098

- Posted      Profile for The Black Labrador   Email The Black Labrador   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wood, is there much evidence of liberal Christianity on campus? Presumably there are chaplains/denominational societies/SCM groups?

And what about charismatic evangelicals? You focus on the very conservative UCCF position. I would have thought that charismatics e.g. in Fusion cells or simply in CU's would have a lot of influence as well?

Posts: 629 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by The Black Labrador:
Wood, is there much evidence of liberal Christianity on campus? Presumably there are chaplains/denominational societies/SCM groups?

And what about charismatic evangelicals? You focus on the very conservative UCCF position. I would have thought that charismatics e.g. in Fusion cells or simply in CU's would have a lot of influence as well?

SCM is tiny by comparison, and with a few exceptions (Warwick Christian Focus springs to mind) chaplaincy groups are similarly tiny. In Swansea, the Chaplaincy group is outnumbered by the CU by a factor of about ten to one.

I must confess that I haven't had much contact with Fusion. As far as I can make out, in the universities where it has made headway, it has been quite successful... and I seem to remember a couple of CUs being affiliated with Fusion a few years back - I don't know if this is still the case.

Part of that, I think, has to do with the fact that CUs, although conservative evangelical, tend to have a fair number of charismatics in their midst anyway. The prevalence of events like Soul Survivor has made a charismatic style of worship part of the evangelical mainstream. Certainly, Swansea CU spent a few years with most of its members going to a (very bouncy) New Covenant church.

The term "conservative evangelical", while seemingly rather specialised, actually covers quite a large range of groups (which is why UCCF can just about get away with calling itself "inter-denominational"). It covers a range from charismatics, through to FIEC people, right through to your ultra-conservative EMW types.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tangent]I would say the identification of CUs with Charismaticism goes back further than Soul Survivor; the Leeds Uni CU back in the mid to late 80s was definitely strongly Charismatic.

Indeed, I was surprised to learn much later that many conservative evos are non-Charismatic - this was a serious revelation to me.[/Tangent]

[ 18. June 2004, 16:41: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The term "conservative evangelical", while seemingly rather specialised, actually covers quite a large range of groups (which is why UCCF can just about get away with calling itself "inter-denominational"). It covers a range from charismatics, through to FIEC people, right through to your ultra-conservative EMW types.

Wood, this is a little unfair. In terms of denominational background both the staff make-up and the CU membership is very mixed. In terms of churchmanship there may well be a much smaller range, but interdenominational is still a very fair claim for the fellowship to make.

Both UCCF and Fusion now have a policy of strongly discouraging affiliation of CUs to Fusion, or adopting the trademarked cell structure within CUs. There may be a couple in the country that still have nominal affiliation with one and is actually really linked with the other. But not many.

I actually know quite a lot about UCCF, and I don't think it is a "very conservative" organisation within evangelicalism. That's always been part of the urban myth. I was surprised and (not always happily, conisdering my own views)taken aback by the breadth of opinion on a wide range of issues. Certainly, in terms of evangelism it is by no means conservative in a radical or reactionary way (more's the pity in my view) and would support a wide range of evangelistic methods.
It is however true to say that the staff would, to a man or woman, encourage proclamation (whether at events, or 1-1) as the central part of evangelism. Fusion IME do not emphasise this (although after the cafuffle in EN Roger Ellis asserted very strongly that Fusion do see proclamation at the heart of their method and it is central to what they do, although that was certianly not my experience) Which all means I think that we ALL still have a lot of work to do on the things Wood has brought to our attention! [Help]

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scholar Gypsy
Shipmate
# 7210

- Posted      Profile for Scholar Gypsy   Email Scholar Gypsy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing I've heard from several Christians (non-evangelicals) without the CU here in Oxford is they're upset and, in some cases, angry that something calling itself a 'Christian' Union in reality only accepts an extremely narrow definition of 'Christian'. Is this just us, or is a wider phenomenon. Similarly, UCCF may or may not be representative of many CUs, but it certainly doesn't reflect the views of all those who'd define themselves as Christian. Perhaps evangelism would be more effective if people saw a broader group of Christians working together?
Again, I have little experience outside of my university, so I'm willing to hear that things are different elsewhere. [Smile]

Posts: 822 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
quote:

Wood, this is a little unfair. In terms of denominational background both the staff make-up and the CU membership is very mixed. In terms of churchmanship there may well be a much smaller range, but interdenominational is still a very fair claim for the fellowship to make.
Fair enough, but what I meant was that UCCF is only interdenominational within the spectrum of protestant evangelicalism. It's sort of a limited interdenominatialism, really.

quote:
Both UCCF and Fusion now have a policy of strongly discouraging affiliation of CUs to Fusion, or adopting the trademarked cell structure within CUs. There may be a couple in the country that still have nominal affiliation with one and is actually really linked with the other. But not many.
Thanks for the info. As I said, the last concrete thing I heard about a Fusion CU was about five or six years ago, so this explains it for me.

quote:
I actually know quite a lot about UCCF,
No. Really? Gosh. [Smile]

quote:
and I don't think it is a "very conservative" organisation within evangelicalism. That's always been part of the urban myth. I was surprised and (not always happily, conisdering my own views)taken aback by the breadth of opinion on a wide range of issues. Certainly, in terms of evangelism it is by no means conservative in a radical or reactionary way (more's the pity in my view) and would support a wide range of evangelistic methods.
It's not "very" conservative. But it is conservative. You only have to look at the website to see that.
quote:
It is however true to say that the staff would, to a man or woman, encourage proclamation (whether at events, or 1-1) as the central part of evangelism.
...and hence not encourage people to get involved in student politics?

Again, not a swipe - just a call for clarification.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by evangelical_backslider:
One thing I've heard from several Christians (non-evangelicals) without the CU here in Oxford is they're upset and, in some cases, angry that something calling itself a 'Christian' Union in reality only accepts an extremely narrow definition of 'Christian'. Is this just us, or is a wider phenomenon. Similarly, UCCF may or may not be representative of many CUs, but it certainly doesn't reflect the views of all those who'd define themselves as Christian. Perhaps evangelism would be more effective if people saw a broader group of Christians working together?
Again, I have little experience outside of my university, so I'm willing to hear that things are different elsewhere. [Smile]

They're not, you know. Not in many places. Not really.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
...and hence not encourage people to get involved in student politics?

Again, not a swipe - just a call for clarification.

Do you know, I never heard any policy on this? There was certainly no DIS-couragement from it. I think there was a general - get involved in what will give you the best opportunities mentality. I mean, I suppose the reason it doesn't get mentioned much is that staff and relay are involved mostly with people who are CU leaders, who hence have little time for student politics. Which, I realise is an issue in itself.
IME Fusion are better at encouraging this, but that is because it is all church based, and so all the "admin"/"leadership" stuff is done by church leaders, and so keen students aren't caught up running a CU. There's advantages to this model (i used to be quite envious of it) but I think you lose out in other ways.

In terms of "conservative" - within the broad spectrum of Christianity, yes. Within evangelicalism, IME not particularly, certainly, I don't think, becoming moreso. Much to the chagrin of genuinely conservative evangelical groups. So for example, I only ever met one YECer who worked for the organisation, and a couple of cessationists. Views would have varied quite widely on issues of headship/egalitarianism. Admittedly not on sexuality. So, not sure really.

[ 19. June 2004, 12:17: Message edited by: Leprechaun ]

Wood
# 7

quote:
Do you know, I never heard any policy on this? There was certainly no DIS-couragement from it. I think there was a general - get involved in what will give you the best opportunities mentality.

I guess that was sort of what I was thinking of, inasmuch as it's seen as only worth getting involved in for the purpose of having opportunities to "share the Gospel", rather than it being a witness in and of itself.

quote:
I mean, I suppose the reason it doesn't get mentioned much is that staff and relay are involved mostly with people who are CU leaders, who hence have little time for student politics. Which, I realise is an issue in itself.
It is. They often don't have much time for anything else, actually. Many's the student
I've seen screw up their degree after being on CU committee.
quote:
IME Fusion are better at encouraging this, but that is because it is all church based, and so all the "admin"/"leadership" stuff is done by church leaders, and so keen students aren't caught up running a CU. There's advantages to this model (i used to be quite envious of it) but I think you lose out in other ways.
No, I won't ask...

Oh, go on then, you reeled me in. What ways?

quote:
In terms of "conservative" - within the broad spectrum of Christianity, yes. Within evangelicalism, IME not particularly, certainly, I don't think, becoming moreso. Much to the chagrin of genuinely conservative evangelical groups. So for example, I only ever met one YECer who worked for the organisation, and a couple of cessationists. Views would have varied quite widely on issues of headship/egalitarianism. Admittedly not on sexuality. So, not sure really.
I think it depends on where we're standing, really. It has just occurred to me that we're both looking at the same thing here and using the same words to mean different things. So I'm using the "C" word to mean "more conservative than me"; you don't see Cus as "conservative" because they're "not as conservative" as you. Make some sort of sense?

Some CUs are more conservative than others. One of the students under my care last academic year went to an evangelistic talk-with-discussion given by the CU about creation and, having asked a quetion, was told by the Relay worker up front that if she couldn't agree with a six-day creation, then he had serious doubts about her faith commitment.

That was about it for her and the CU, sadly.

I remember Lampeter having a female president about nine years ago, but I'm not sure how many other CUs have had female presidents. Do you know any, Lep?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
I guess that was sort of what I was thinking of, inasmuch as it's seen as only worth getting involved in for the purpose of having opportunities to "share the Gospel", rather than it being a witness in and of itself.

Well, sort of. For some people, the best witness they can be might just be getting involved in student politics. I would hope any CU member would see that as an opportunity for personal evangelism but I hope any CU staff worker would see the value of it beyond that.

quote:

Oh, go on then, you reeled me in. What ways?

Well a number. I think CUs have a more legitimate student witness because they are student led (and I know you don't really think they are, but IME they really are!) But more than that, you will find, (again IME) in the mission field and in church ministry LOADS of people who never thought of such things until they were in CU leadership. I remember a curate who was no great fan of his local CU saying as much to me - about himself, and generally why he was supportive of student leadership.
And I also think they learn. I think the DB is an accurate and good statement of evangelical belief, but leaves room for disagreement. And ISTM it is healthy, within that framework for students to be on committees with people who disagree with them about 6 day creation, spiritual gifts etc. My problem with the Fusion model was that (again ISTM, hedge hedge hedge) that a church leader on high handed down a "line" on a difficult issue, that was then followed throughout. So you'd meet students who had never even met a Christian who wasn't charismatic before, or who couldn't see why some Christians thought doctrine was really important, or whatever.
I realise that there are many here who think that baseline should make the net wider, but that is a separate issue!
Like I said, there are pros and cons of both models, the downside of the CU model being that it can eat up your life. Although, IME, there is no need for this to be the case if students would only learn to time plan. [Mad] Anyway, rant about to begin....

quote:
I think it depends on where we're standing, really. It has just occurred to me that we're both looking at the same thing here and using the same words to mean different things. So I'm using the "C" word to mean "more conservative than me"; you don't see Cus as "conservative" because they're "not as conservative" as you. Make some sort of sense?
Sure. I suppose though UCCF has the reputation for being this madly conservative force in evangelicalism as a whole, and IME its not really. I'm certainly no YECcie or cessationist, but it wasn't as conservative as me - but then, as you say, it's all relative.

quote:

I remember Lampeter having a female president about nine years ago, but I'm not sure how many other CUs have had female presidents. Do you know any, Lep?

Loads. Absolutely loads. CICCU have had in the past, not sure about OICCU and DICCU. But they are hardly test cases - nearly every other CU I know of has had at some stage (even other big "regional" CUs like Lancaster - which I think has a female president at the moment, and Leeds). Nearly all the small CUs I knew had nearly all the time because (sigh) the men were generally so wet, unethusiastic, and generally godless.
I should say as well, that all the Northern Irish CUs including Queen's and Jordanstown have had too, and they would have been seen as bastions of conservatism for quite some time.

Elephenor
Shipmate
# 4026

- Posted      Profile for Elephenor   Email Elephenor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Loads. Absolutely loads. CICCU have had in the past, not sure about OICCU and DICCU. But they are hardly test cases - nearly every other CU I know of has had at some stage (even other big "regional" CUs like Lancaster - which I think has a female president at the moment, and Leeds).
To partially back Lep up on this, I think I've met two female CU presidents; out of the number I've met, that's a low proportion, but probably no worse than the proportion of female Baptist ministers (yes, I know they exist!).

However one of them was president of a small (though I have to say seemingly flourishing) CU in a tiny institution. The other is in one of the growing number of CUs that hedge their bets by having Male/Female Co-Presidents. This year there was no male Exec member staying on, so she's on her own with a male Vice-President.

Also, yes, CICCU have had one female President. One. In over 125 years...

--------------------
"Man is...a `eucharistic' animal." (Kallistos Ware)

Posts: 214 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

Hey, that's better than Swansea's managed...

--------------------
Narcissism.

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:
Originally posted by Elephenor:

Also, yes, CICCU have had one female President. One. In over 125 years...

As I said, I don't really think that the "big three" count as test cases. I think that's one of UCCF's biggest problems really - the vast majority of its work goes on apart from the big red brick and collegiate CUs - they generally need less help to run effectively. What goes on there is rarely, if ever, reflective of the fellowship as a whole. (More's the pity often, IMOSHO)
I'm not lying honestly - even if you have only met 2 Eleph. I was just sitting here thinking of ALL the CUs I have worked alongside in the last 5 years (that must be well over 25 on my reckoning) and think if there are any that HAVEN'T had a female President in that time. I can only think of one I know of for sure, and one I don't know about. The others all have.
Its one of things really - I'm not sure what I think of that myself, but its one of those areas where UCCF was less conservative than me!

Wood
# 7

quote:
Well, sort of. For some people, the best witness they can be might just be getting involved in student politics. I would hope any CU member would see that as an opportunity for personal evangelism but I hope any CU staff worker would see the value of it beyond that.

Me too.

quote:
I think CUs have a more legitimate student witness because they are student led (and I know you don't really think they are, but IME they really are!)
Actually, I think they are student-led, although UCCF workers resource them and give advice (which in my own experience is usually taken). I just don't think UCCF and CUs are one and the same.

("Are too!" "Are not!" "Are too!" "Are not!" "Are too!" "Are not!" etc.)

quote:
But more than that, you will find, (again IME) in the mission field and in church ministry LOADS of people who never thought of such things until they were in CU leadership.
So are you saying that this doesn't happen in Fusion? Or that it's only limited to leaderships?

quote:
I think the DB is an accurate and good statement of evangelical belief, but leaves room for disagreement.
...but only a little. [Smile]

quote:
And ISTM it is healthy, within that framework for students to be on committees with people who disagree with them about 6 day creation, spiritual gifts etc.
With you there.

quote:
My problem with the Fusion model was that (again ISTM, hedge hedge hedge) that a church leader on high handed down a "line" on a difficult issue, that was then followed throughout. So you'd meet students who had never even met a Christian who wasn't charismatic before, or who couldn't see why some Christians thought doctrine was really important, or whatever.
I think I remember hearing that NFI and Pioneer were involved with Fusion - was I hearing things?
quote:
I realise that there are many here who think that baseline should make the net wider, but that is a separate issue!
Ooooooh yes.

quote:
Like I said, there are pros and cons of both models, the downside of the CU model being that it can eat up your life. Although, IME, there is no need for this to be the case if students would only learn to time plan.
I once lived in a house with a CU secretary, who had no idea how to manage her time and who, if tomorrow was the deadline for both a letter to a Christian speaker on behalf of the CU and a piece of assessed coursework, would pick the CU stuff every time. She just about managed a third in the end.

quote:
I suppose though UCCF has the reputation for being this madly conservative force in evangelicalism as a whole, and IME its not really. I'm certainly no YECcie or cessationist, but it wasn't as conservative as me - but then, as you say, it's all relative.
Thing is, I've not described UCCF as "ultra-conservative". Conservative, yes, but extremely?

Liberals often get annoyed with conservatives for assuming that they're all the same, when in fact there are many wide ranges of opinion among them. But the fact is, they make the same error in assuming that conservatives are all the same, when in fact they're just as varied and nuanced as the liberals.

quote:
quote:
Loads. Absolutely loads. CICCU have had in the past, not sure about OICCU and DICCU. But they are hardly test cases - nearly every other CU I know of has had at some stage (even other big "regional" CUs like Lancaster - which I think has a female president at the moment, and Leeds). Nearly all the small CUs I knew had nearly all the time because (sigh) the men were generally so wet, unethusiastic, and generally godless.
I'm going to hazard that this is actually a recent development - within the last ten years, I would say, and [smug voice] that it probably proves I'm right about the apathy and stuff. [Big Grin]

quote:
I should say as well, that all the Northern Irish CUs including Queen's and Jordanstown have had too, and they would have been seen as bastions of conservatism for quite some time.
Does Ulster still say "NO"?

Um, sorry. I have no idea where that one came from.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

quote:

So are you saying that this doesn't happen in Fusion? Or that it's only limited to leaderships?

No, not at all. Partly because Fusion hasn't been around long enough to tell. Rather that experience has borne out the wisdom that running a CU is an almost unique way for intelligent able people to experience Christian ministry and all the struggles involving theology, people, money, admin, music, and evangelism that go with it. A church run student work, while having many advantages (I used to be a church student worker)IME just doesn't give people that experience.

quote:

I think I remember hearing that NFI and Pioneer were involved with Fusion - was I hearing things?

Pioneer yes. NFI, mixed. Institutionally they seem to be pretty much against any para-church thing, but on the ground, some of them were involved. Although I also met a number that much preferred the UCCF way of doing things.

quote:
Does Ulster still say "NO"?
To most things. It just comes out easier. Practice you see.
Passmore and Alabaster
Shipmate
# 7012

- Posted      Profile for Passmore and Alabaster   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A point of clarification, for the sake of accuracy. The CU talk on creation, that Wood mentioned, was actually on the reliability of the Bible (nothing was said about creation in the talk). The question about creation was, according to my memory, unclear. It was pitched around the question of whether the language in Genesis 1-2 is wholly symbolic. But like I said it was unclear to me at the time what the questioner was getting at/coming from. As for the relay workers comment, I think he was trying to say that we must take what they Bible says on creation seriously and not try to explain away Genesis because we are intimidated by the claims of philosophic naturalism. I don't think that he was being dogmatic on creationism. But like I said I thought that the question was vague. For the record I was the speaker.

[ 21. June 2004, 15:44: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning

Posts: 162 | From: The home of 1904 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Passmore and Alabaster:
A point of clarification, for the sake of accuracy. The CU talk on creation, that Wood mentioned, was actually on the reliability of the Bible (nothing was said about creation in the talk). The question about creation was, according to my memory, unclear. It was pitched around the question of whether the language in Genesis 1-2 is wholly symbolic. But like I said it was unclear to me at the time what the questioner was getting at/coming from. As for the relay workers comment, I think he was trying to say that we must take what they Bible says on creation seriously and not try to explain away Genesis because we are intimidated by the claims of philosophic naturalism. I don't think that he was being dogmatic on creationism. But like I said I thought that the question was vague. For the record I was the speaker.

Point noted. FWIW, my own account was second hand and imperfectly recollected from the student's account, so I'm happy to be corrected.

Still, what the guy said pretty much drove the lass from the CU - that bit I didn't get wrong.

Anyway, now I know who you are, it's my job as a moderator to welcome you to the site. Blah blah blah Ten Commandments blah blah blah Purgatory guidelines blah blah blah happy posting. [Smile]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Passmore and Alabaster
Shipmate
# 7012

- Posted      Profile for Passmore and Alabaster   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm surprised that what he said had that effect. I thought that I had made much more of a hash answering her question. Besides which I can't recall his comment being that strong. But am I trying to recall an evening some twenty months ago...

--------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning

Posts: 162 | From: The home of 1904 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Passmore and Alabaster:
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm surprised that what he said had that effect. I thought that I had made much more of a hash answering her question. Besides which I can't recall his comment being that strong. But am I trying to recall an evening some twenty months ago...

Well, hey. It was nearly two years ago now. I expect she's probably forgotten the meeting herself.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016