homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: The Dungeon Master's Guild: constructing a Ship- friendly RPG (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: The Dungeon Master's Guild: constructing a Ship- friendly RPG
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(Sorry, madame gm-- crosspost which rendered my post,irrelevant.)

Ah, rats. Whatever it was, I'm sorry you deleted it. If it was in any way about RPG or about anything on any of the three current RPG threads, it would have helped me, because I would be helped by multiple perspectives on this, or even just seeing the questions others might ask.
Well, the short version. Was, "consider the GM God." [Big Grin] DT was a little more detailed than I was.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet another crosspost !

Which, reminds me of something I left out of my response, there is a big difference between creating a mechanic in the system that regularly splits the party - every couple of weeks - and it happening on one or two occasions during a campaign.

A split party is a fair amount of extra work, occasionally is doable, regularly is not.

[ 17. May 2014, 23:53: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
You have created a character I don't fully understand,

Interesting! Is this unusual?

If this is unusual, I suspect it's because I don't know the culture. So in creating Arabella's initial traits I was not jockeying for advantages in likely game situations, and I was not trying to create a character for "wouldn't it be interesting to role play such-and-such." I was pretty much just expressing myself through the qualities about myself which make me an avid Adventure player. (I realize Adventure is not an RPG; I used it as a basis because it was the only referent for "text-based alternate universe" that I could come up with when trying to make a proposal about some kind of character.)

Or perhaps you mean you don't understand Arabella and her motivations and actions within the Story so far? I'm just playing myself, trying to figure out what's going on, and once I figure it out, trying to help the team while also (as I suddenly realize) being doggedly interested in pursuing my own interests, strange as they might seem to others. With a big dose of a strange sense of humor. Plus obeying the original GM dictum that Arabella finds Daniel trustworthy.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
You have created a character I don't fully understand,

Interesting! Is this unusual?

Not sure really, proprietary gaming systems usually define character parameters more explicitly - homebrew systems are more various.

It seems as if Arabella contains assumptions from some other system, (presumably Adventure - which I am not familiar with) and I don't really have a clue about FictA. This might be because I have never played or followed the mafia threads. I wonder if you were expecting the RPG to be more similar to mafia ?

[ 18. May 2014, 00:32: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[cross-post]

More cultural confusion on my part: I was surprised that Dafyd felt he should ask who Hesther is, instead of just grabbing the ball and creating something. I think I can now see that it's in the realm of "something unknown to me, must check with the GM."

I'm going to have to go back and reread that post you made of examples of Players and GM throwing curveballs back and forth at each other. I think I drew completely the wrong conclusions about RPGs from that. Because that post seemed to be about unfettered creativity and both Players and GM catching the ball and running with it. But now it seems to me that the Players have to be a lot more cautious than that.

But I'm probably wrong about that, too.

[ 18. May 2014, 00:41: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Try this.

That was funny. [Smile]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
It seems as if Arabella contains assumptions from some other system,

I think that's looking at it the wrong way, but the fact that you word it this way perhaps reveals the RPG cultural gap between us.

I need to think about this.

I'm very tickled to find that degrees can be earned in gamer culture. Perhaps eventually I'll be able to write an essay on the superficial similarities and surprising differences between Mafia and RPG.

Or perhaps I'll write my essay on the deeply misleading nature of the single cultural bit of knowledge about DnD that I had coming into this (that DnD involves innumerable sets of rule books), and the comical effects when one newbie crosses that factoid with the assurance she has been given that RPG are about cooperatively creating a creative narrative, which turns out to have its own deeply misleading aspect.

--------------------
Truth

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of us are not finding it so.

It may be that this type of game is not your cup of tea. I encourage you to hang in and trust the GM, defer to her counsel as much as possible and as you play it will start making more sense to you.

Heck, note how I had to be guided with every roll when I did my first combat. After doing that-- oh, thirty times or so, maybe I will grasp it intuitively. [Biased]

And that's when you can be really creative-- when you have a firm grasp of the rules and your boundaries. It's a paradox.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I have tried googling for a concise rpg explanation - but they all start, it is really difficult to explain to someone who has not played before and then go onto describe D&D 3.5ed character generaton/combat. Which I feel would be rather misleading.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Try this.

That was funny. [Smile]
Glad you enjoyed it, there is another by the same group, but it is nothing like as good.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Who are the newbies in this game?

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

IRRC Banner Lady, IngoB, possibly also Gwai and Kelly. I think that JFH and Hart have played before but not for some time. Not sure about Jay-Emm.

And obviously nobody has played this specific system before, and I don't know if anyone in the player group has experience of play by post / email rpg versions - I don't, it is the first time I have done this.

(Ingo has a lot of MUD experience though.)

[ 18. May 2014, 01:35: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
I have tried googling for a concise rpg explanation - but they all start, it is really difficult to explain to someone who has not played before and then go onto describe D&D 3.5ed character generaton/combat. Which I feel would be rather misleading.

.. and I think an important thing to keep in mind is that we are testing specifically to come up with adequate rules-- meaning, once we nail those down, things will be much more streamlined.

So, AR, when I brought up character control, it was not so much tat I was annoyed-- a little overprotective, maybe [Big Grin] -- it was that players having control over their character is a basic, vital part of roleplaying. Pointing out that incident was a good way of pointing out that rule-- nothing against Banner Lady, but it was a good way to bring it up.

And that's what this thread is about-- nailing down those important dynamics and explaining why they are important.As we do that, things are going to be light on creativity and heavy on analysis, but once we get rolling all the time we take to do this will make sense.

[ 18. May 2014, 01:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
IRRC Banner Lady, IngoB, Gwai, possibly also Gwai and Kelly. I think that JFH and Hart have played before but not for some time.

(Ingo has a lot of MUD experience though.)

Kelly gamed for six years, long ago, has forgotten a lot of the rules, and has never GM'ed.

[ 18. May 2014, 01:35: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Looked over the beginning of the thread, JFH has done computer games but no tabletop RPG and likewise Jay-Emm I think.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Ah! Kelly, you gamed for six years long ago: so you learned the culture. For example, you've been able to speak on this thread with a voice of great experience.

--------------------
Truth

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I think what Madame GM is trying to point out is that all of us are rusty in some area or other, so IMO cohesion will be most quickly achieved if we do our best to trust the GM.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

[cross-posted]

So which is it: I'm looking for certainty that isn't in an RPG (DT), or I have to learn the rules and boundaries (KA)?

Or both and neither at the same time, most likely, given the way this game of Montana Red Dog is going.

I think my problem may be this: I was recruited into this game after having just participated in The Most Insane Game Of Mafia Ever, by a person who enjoyed my creativity there, and thought it would be fun to have it here.

In trying to understand what "here" is like, I read DT's early illustrative post where Players and GM are throwing curveballs back and forth at each other and dynamically and creatively adapting. And I read at the start of the Meta thread that it was a game in which the players are collectively narrating a quest which is initially set up by the DM.

I drew entirely the wrong conclusions from that.

And so I've been really frustrated that where I thought I was just being creative within what was wanted, turns out that I have to Ask Permission. And that's a really bizarre smack of icewater to get when you're deep in a creative mode.

So I'm going to reread Story and Meta, paying attention not to where the Players are dressing things up with Creativity, but rather where they're Asking Permission. Maybe that will give me better insight into how to colour within the boundaries.

And I'm going to watch DT's linked satire. I'll learn something from that, even if it's only that I understand so little of RPG that I can't even understand satire of it...

[ 18. May 2014, 02:27: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
I think what Madame GM is trying to point out is that all of us are rusty in some area or other, so IMO cohesion will be most quickly achieved if we do our best to trust the GM.

At the moment I'm so confused that I don't even know how to participate in the game in a way that demonstrates trust in the GM.

I didn't think of myself as not trusting the GM. It's more that I have no idea what the GM expects from me.

--------------------
Truth

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

And so I've been really frustrated that where I thought I was just being creative within what was wanted, turns out that I have to Ask Permission. And that's a really bizarre smack of icewater to get when you're deep in a creative mode.

K, we are all creative, or we wouldn't be playing this game.

The best way to look at this is that it is a improv acting experience with rules to facilitate improv. If you were doing improv on stage, you would most likely:

1. Be given a character by the director

2. Be given a setting by the director

3. Have a stage, with props, and be required to stay on that stage.

You would not be allowed to :

1. Feed another actor lines, or speak in their place(the point of improv is coming up with responses to what is happening-- not crafting other actor's responses to allow you to do what you want-- right?)

2. Undo what another actor has said for your convenience

3. Go off stage and collect new props to use.

All those things are boundaries. They do not squelch creativity. They force it.

[ 18. May 2014, 02:45: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IRRC Banner Lady, IngoB, possibly also Gwai and Kelly. I think that JFH and Hart have played before but not for some time. Not sure about Jay-Emm.

Haven't gamed much as I wish I had, but played a few different systems. And done a lot of RPG-inspired co-writing.*

AR, what I'd say, for whatever it's worth: I'm having trouble getting a read whether you're not enjoying yourself, and if that's because it's not really your thing or because you're not sure whether you're doing it right. If it's number two, I think you're doing just fine. You're fun to read and play with, so that's all that matters. If you're not enjoying it because it's not your thing, we won't blame you for not doing it again.

*No GM and no rolling, but writing as if you were, as much as you can. The plot goes where the plot goes, sometimes planned and sometimes not.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Kelly, your improv example gives me another useful way to think about this.

I'll take the point about boundaries engendering creativity.

However, I can't take the analogy too far, because if I were doing improv, I wouldn't ask the director, and I certainly wouldn't ask the other actor whose character's last name I was about to use, for permission. I would just say "Look, it says Hesther Van Adescant!" And the other actor would not ask the director "Who is she?" No, the other actor would gulp, vow to seek revenge on me later for lobbing this at him, and in the moment make something up.

Or maybe that would be highly verboten in the world of improv, as I have learned it is (the not-asking-permission version) in RPG. And if so, then I have no idea what the rules are. Perhaps: Don't do anything to surprise your fellow actors?

Gwai, I'm enjoying the teeny bit that I understand, but I feel like now that I'm trying to have Arabella do things instead of just observing, that I've fallen into a looking-glass world where people keep advising me in ways that I deduce are meant to be explaining things, but when I try to apply their explanations to what I've observed in the game, nothing makes sense because the explanations seem contradictory to things I've observed. And then I get a Montana Red Dog round of "we know we told you that, but it doesn't apply here". And I seem to be unique in having some kind of deep misunderstanding of the game. So I feel frustrated and stupid and like a misfit.

I think it goes back to this: it turns out I entered the game with a complete misunderstanding of what the game was about. And now I am having to completely remake my worldview, and completely pack up what I thought I was doing (and was enjoying) and instead learn a different game, from scratch, and figure out how to fit into that game, just when I was so pleased that I had figured out how to fit into the first game, the game which turned out to be a chimera.

I'm glad you've enjoyed what I've been doing. I've enjoyed it too. But to go forwards I have to go through completely re-figuring out the game and what my role is in it. Because the assumptions I was basing myself on turn out to be wrong, and as things unfold further in the game it would just cause misery for me to try to keep acting on those assumptions.

--------------------
Truth

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to reply to this in bits and pieces, because there's a lot of things going on here and a lot of good debate.

To begin with, I personally don't think what AR primarily needs is explanation - although I may be role playing fictitious A for her when writing this. I think you've all got fairly good clues on what's going on, but speaking past one another. Maybe what's needed is rather affirmation for people not to feel like things are going on where they can't see them, and build a bit of trust.

I like Arabella's unclear character, because I think most of the rest of us were pretty specific and overspecificity could lead to rigidness. It's also a character we sort of created together, to help AR out.

As for the negotiations and the improv, the best I can say is that it's something reminiscent of leading the fellow player to a water is ok, but starting to push their head down underneath it is not - and I think the Van Adescant coffin is a borderline case because it forces another player to take a stand on a potentially big backstory, rather than to a choice. At the same time, I loved it the moment I read it because of the tickling feeling of the potential story coming out of it.

I'm not sure how to explain best what goes through the GM and what doesn't in such cases. I'd say it's probably best to put up a suggestion on the meta-board, that it could be something like that. Even phrasing it as "it could read Hesther Van Adescant, but Arabella wasn't sure if it was just a smudge" will open up a bit more space to reject it. That said, I think the party could go along with a bit more of the suggestions from other people, tag along and see where it goes. I'm a little surprised at how little people talk to one another and how much we just focus on doing our own things, actions and moves.

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before explaining anything else, I should add that the bit about pulling another player's head underneath the water refers to forcing them to drink, not drowning them (although they might feel a little like that).

(Continuing on the previous post because the People's Internet sucks)

As for my own experience, I think playing the parody game Munchkin with RPG nerds helped me more than anything else, them explaining why "Buy the GM a beer" would make you go up a level (bribing the GM) or why a Gazebo is a monster in that game (Classic story from RPG boards: "You go through the forest and see a gazebo. What do you do?" "Err... A Gazebo? I pull out an arrow and shoot it!" "… … … Ok, now you see a gazebo with an arrow sticking out of it." "It's not dead yet? I draw my sword and charge!").

Speaking of Stone's device, it's more of a fart-powered blow-torch, and built using crafting (starred but not bolded, sorry), not found through scavenging.

Also, many thanks to our probably exhausted GM! If I buy you a beer (and/or chocolate), can Stone get a perk for charming people using poetry? Could you make it work in real life too?

--------------------
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Kelly, your improv example gives me another useful way to think about this.

I'll take the point about boundaries engendering creativity.

However, I can't take the analogy too far, because if I were doing improv, I wouldn't ask the director, and I certainly wouldn't ask the other actor whose character's last name I was about to use, for permission. I would just say "Look, it says Hesther Van Adescant!" And the other actor would not ask the director "Who is she?" No, the other actor would gulp, vow to seek revenge on me later for lobbing this at him, and in the moment make something up.

If, however part of the assignment was for you to create a character (as we were) and your partner was to create a character, and part of that was each of you creating a backstory of your own, then your partner would be quite justified in objecting to you supplying information for them, rather than allow that person to reveal themselves to you.

As JFH said--

quote:
the best I can say is that it's something reminiscent of leading the fellow player to a water is ok, but starting to push their head down underneath it is not...Before explaining anything else, I should add that the bit about pulling another player's head underneath the water refers to forcing them to drink, not drowning them (although they might feel a little like that).
Perfectly put.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by JFH:
I'm a little surprised at how little people talk to one another and how much we just focus on doing our own things, actions and moves.

I agree-- I think if we talk to each other more (in character)and learn about each other more, we will get a feel of how to work together.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

[cross-posted]

See? The first explanation (improv) wasn't really the explanation, there's more to it (improv of a tightly constricted sort) that only comes out after I've gone wrong trying to apply the first explanation.

And even in the second explanation, my boundaries are totally different, still leading me to bad conclusions. There are a zillion ways for H.VanD to be explained away so she's just the merest blip of local colour in the story. So I don't see it as so intrusive. So I foresee that what I think is just offering something open-ended, is going to turn out to be terribly offensive to everyone else, and probably seen not just as pushing a character's head under to make him drink, but actually trying to drown him. And all along I'll have been stupidly thinking that all I was doing was offering "there's a lake thataway."

Here's another contradiction where I don't understand the culture: Arabella saw an overturned coffin as she and Daniel left the crypt. DT described an upright coffin as the party entered the crypt. This seems inconsistent. But I keep getting told that inconsistency is AWFUL. For example, it's part of why it's bad to narrate someone else's character (so I think has been said): because then they might be constrained to act in a way they weren't planning to, because their original plan would now be inconsistent. So what's going on? Are we in a different crypt? Is the setting-back-up of the coffin an important plot point, the solving of this mystery being part of the quest DT is continuously and creatively setting for us? Or maybe what to me seems a glaring inconsistency is seen by others as a minor irrelevant detail. And if that's the case, then we're back to Montana Red Dog where the rules and boundaries keep shifting: "Inconsistency is AWFUL, except when we say it isn't."

It would be easier if you just said: "We can't explain how it works. If you can put up with being wrong about everything for ten years or so, you might absorb the culture and the expectations and fit in. Until then, we're happy to have you hang around. Just know that most of what you do will be wrong and need correcting, and we'll try not to make you feel too awful when you completely unwittingly do deeply offensive things."

[ 18. May 2014, 04:57: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I'll shut up now. I don't want DT to feel embattled. DT, you've been giving us a wonderful gift being our GM, and I love both the creativity and the planning that you bring to this.

--------------------
Truth

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
So what's going on? Are we in a different crypt? Is the setting-back-up of the coffin an important plot point, the solving of this mystery being part of the quest DT is continuously and creatively setting for us?

That last.
If you notice the coffin is tipped, and later it is upright, something has happened that your character doesn't know about. The only person in the game with total omniscience is the GM. We all just react to what we encounter. Or to what other players do or say.

Perhaps this is a good time to talk about "player Knowledge" versus " character knowledge.

Example: I, Kelly see on the story thread that bayari and ik are plotting to short-sheet my bed. They are whispering together in a hut.

This pisses me off, but Brandon, I have stated, is outside watering the horses at the time. My player knowledge is that those two jerks are gonna dick me over, My character, however, has to mope along oblivious and climb into bed, and suffer short sheets.

if I were to say "Brandon carefully checks his bed before he lays down" I would be cheating, pretty much.

However, a GM can opt to just parcel out information so the characters reactions can be authentic, rather than risk changing the reactions by offering too much player knowledge. SO, my read of the crypt thing is-- something happened and for game purposes DT isn't telling us what yet.

But the change is good to note-- it will probably be explained later.

[ 18. May 2014, 05:21: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(another thought-- Arabella (in character) has the option of keeping this odd observation to herself and seeing what else happens, or telling another character her misgivings about what she saw. If she chooses to share the information, then it might help them piece together whatever is going on. This reinforces JFH's suggestion that we simply talk to each other more--in character.)

[ 18. May 2014, 05:39: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JFH:
[qb] I'm a little surprised at how little people talk to one another and how much we just focus on doing our own things, actions and moves.

I agree-- I think if we talk to each other more (in character)and learn about each oth
An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JFH:
I'm a little surprised at how little people talk to one another and how much we just focus on doing our own things, actions and moves.

I agree-- I think if we talk to each other more (in character)and learn about each other more, we will get a feel of how to work together.
I suspect that this might be due to there being a couple of Clint Eastwoods in the party, and not that many Mexicans to give them something to talk about. Ok, Brandon, let's stage some funny talk instead, shall we? How's it going without that belt? [Biased]

--------------------
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, bring it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Shoot I have been totally out of the story for like two days.. meet me on the meta thread.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Breakdown

So if I have this roughly right:

Agreed Basic Principles [...]

With the proviso that I'd be content with a large number of alternatives, yes, everything you list is fine with me.

quote:
Dubious Elements

We are unsure about spawning minion combat.

After the first test I'm coming round to the idea provided we can avoid endless spawning of hard combats. I think the recent fight scene could have been improved slightly (only slightly) if Brandon's spawned minions had stuck around and needed to be killed by other PCs. It would have given more of a feeling that we were acting as a team.

quote:
We are unsure about regenerating nemesis combat.
I thought the only thing 'wrong' with the nemesis fight was that too many PCs could engage the vampire at 'easy'. Six vampires with those stats (and no spawning) would have been a challenge, one of them was always going to be toast, even if IngoB had rolled badly. A single enemy has to be a real hard-case to threaten 10+ PCs – it has to be at lseriously unlikely that one PC can fight it alone.

quote:
We are unsure about real time combat duration.
Any combat system is going to be time consuming. At least a day is needed, I think, for every decision step. A simple fight has one decision step (“I'm fighting (or not) and rolled a N, the stroty is...”). A complex fight might have two or three.

quote:
We are unsure about all combat encounter posts occuring in meta, then being transferred to the story thread, vs. direct story posts.
I think the 'meta' thread needs a GM call on what point we narrate up to. Suppose we're fighting a vast number of shadow creatures – the GM could say “these are your difficulties, post up to three combat rounds each by T o'clock...” then takes control of the narrative again in meta, perhaps because the vampire shows up, or whatever. I don't think there's any problem with lots of story posts, provided we don't overrun the GM's plot line.

quote:
Aspirations
We want to move from skills, to backgrounds.

I like the system as is. I think we do all have 'backgrounds', and it is open to a PC (or GM) to claim some flexibility about what characters can do based on that. For example, Gunriana's background has her coming from a merchant family. She isn't an expert in commerce (or I'd have taken that as a skill), because her vocation is 'witch' and her role in the family is 'marriage pawn'. But simply from hanging around merchants, she might know a little more than average, not enough to reliably make skill rolls, but if the GM wants the party to know, for example, that the Isle of Lergos exports marrows and imports timber, Gunriana could be prompted with the fact that she recalls this information.

The value of skills is that they provide areas of expertise that fit with, but are not implied by, the general background. You couldn't say, for instance, that Hestor's background as courtier would give him expert knowledge of poisons. It's an excellent fit, but you wouldn't assume it from background alone.

quote:
We are considering communally run characters.
I'm opposed. I don't want to play someone else's character. I don't want anyone else taking my character in a direction I don't want to go.

quote:
We want to consider using "one unique thing" in character generation.
I like current character generation. Does anyone feel that the current rules do not allow them to create a playable approximation to their initial character concept?

My character idea was pretty complex, and I had no trouble working it into this system. For me that's the test. If anyone can say “I wanted to play [this] reasonable character idea, but the system won't let me...” (and the idea is reasonable) then the system needs fixing. If not, it ain't broke.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:

Here's another contradiction where I don't understand the culture: Arabella saw an overturned coffin as she and Daniel left the crypt. DT described an upright coffin as the party entered the crypt.

Just to clarify re the coffin; you left the crypt having seen the coffin overturned, met up with the party and spent the night in the churchyard. A bat flew out of the crypt, but turned back at the ward stone. The next morning Daniel led the party down into the crypt.

The coffin was closed when you next entered the crypt. The implication was that the vampire had got back into it over the intervening period. This references the common mythos of the vampire that it is active at night and would usually sleep in the day.

If you had posted that you saw Hesther's name on the name plate, then next player posted there was no name plate on the coffin - and in story terms you are standing next to each other looking at the coffin at the same time, that will effect the suspension of disbelief because the posts are mutually incompatible.

If you want to see what it a looks like when that happens, have a look at what Kelly has done on the story thread. We have had a minor cock-up in the story sequence because she had failed to notice Ik had not acted. The result doesn't read well, this may happen sometimes but as a group we want to try and minimise the number of times this happens.

[ 18. May 2014, 09:03: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Tri-stat dx combat would translate well for a proprietary system, if we take body to be muscles, and mind to be wits. I think it could be dropped straight in for combat heavy campaigns without having to rewrite its combat system at all.

Wanted to work through the translation:

quote:

Stats
Characters in Tri-Stat have three main Stats:

Body: a measure of the character's physical prowess and health.
Mind: a measure of the character's mental capacity and intelligence.
Soul: a measure of the character's spirit and willpower.

Derived Values[edit]
Derived Values are determined by mathematical formulas based on the values of the character's Stats.

Attack Combat Value: (ACV) [(Body + Mind + Soul) / 3] which is the focus of all the character's Stats to determine their bonus to Hit an opponent during combat scenes.
Defense Combat Value: (DCV) [(Body + Mind + Soul) / 3 - 2] which is the character's ability to react against incoming attacks.
Health Points: [(Body + Soul) × 5] which is the amount of damage a character can withstand before they are knocked unconscious or killed. These are similar to hit points in other games.
Optional Derived Values:

Energy Points: [(Mind + Soul) × 5] an optional Stat used for fueling certain superpower Attributes. When a character runs out of Energy Points, they can no longer use that power.
Shock Value: [(Health Points) / 5] for more "realistic" combat scenes, when a character suffers their Shock Value in damage, there is a chance they can become stunned.

In character generation, you use 18 points for the point buy, Rank cost: Useless (1), Weak (2), OK (3), Good (4), or Excellent (5).

So if we take Bayani's stats:
  • OK Wits (Mind) = 3pt
  • Excellent Finesse = 5pt
  • Useless Charm = 1pt
  • Useless Soul = 1pt
  • Good Muscles (Body) = 4pt
  • Good Vigilance = 4pt

His derived values would be:
  • Attack Combat Value - 3 (rounding up)
  • Defence Combat Value - 1
  • Health points - 25
  • Energy points - 20
  • Shock value - 5

quote:
Time in Tri-Stat is measured in Rounds which represent about 5 seconds of real time. Rounds are linked together in Scenes. A Scene changes when the specific events and places happen to change in the game. For example, a brawl Scene in a bar would change if the fight is moved out to the parking lot. During a Round, a character can take one of several kinds of Actions, such as Move, Attack, or Defend.

Combat can be seen as a bunch of contested actions made against particular adversaries, however the character uses their Attack Combat Value as the number they must roll equal to, or less than, to score successful attacks against the opposition. Their ACV can be modified by Combat Skills, like Gun Combat, and any Specializations with a particular weapon to score a better hit against the target. Characters roll for Initiative (2 dice + ACV), during a Round of combat to see who goes first. The higher roll "Gains Initiative" and allows the character to either take action first, or hold and wait to see what their opponent does.

Resolving damage[edit]
Characters can take damage from either suffering an injury or from an attack in combat. Each attack has a Maximum Damage Rating (MDR), which is the total amount of damage points a particular weapon or accident situation can inflict upon the victim. When an attack makes it through a defense, the defender takes damage from the attack. Depending on the Power Level of the campaign, the damage is rolled with 2 dice and consulted on a Damage Percentage Table. The particular roll will indicate that the target took 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of the attack's MDR. The attacker's Attack Combat Value is fully added to the resulting percentage of MDR to determine the total amount of damage inflicted upon the target. Damage is then deducted from a character or object's Health Points.

Critical Hits are inflicted whenever an attack die roll comes up as a 2. The attacker automatically hits the target (who cannot defend against it). The target then suffers double the MDR of the weapon plus the attacker's ACV in damage.

If a character loses all their Health Points, they fall unconscious and are dying. If their Health Points drop to the full negative amount of their Health Points they die. For instance, a character who has 25 Health Points dies when their Health Points reach -25.

This would be rolling 2d6 for combat actions. If we wanted to roll two D20, we would need to translate the ranks into points at a higher point value - multiply the point by cost by 3 perhaps. Which would like this:

• Wits (Mind) = 9
  • Excellent Finesse = 15
  • Useless Charm = 3
  • Useless Soul = 3
  • Good Muscles (Body) = 12
  • Good Vigilance = 12

His derived values would be:
  • Attack Combat Value - 8
  • Defence Combat Value - 6
  • Health points - 75
  • Energy points - 60
  • Shock value - 15

[ 18. May 2014, 10:08: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
{Newbies are...}]Not sure about Jay-Emm.

Some schoolfriends (from another village) were into a vampire based game and I read a fair bit the books.
Played a Mud computer game, a few rogue like ones and morrowind/kotr which gave a moderate idea of the dicey stuff.
Finally enjoyed reading a few webcomics, which took the piss of vaguaries in mechanics and ways players/gms can be annoying.
d&d

But new to actually playing, enjoying it.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Please note new poll thread - pls vote and comment.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For example Eliab has just had Gunriana propose to the prince that the prince pay off and dismiss his current retainers. How is that not messing with the structure of the game? I don't mind that he did it; I think it's creative and wonderful. But from the (completely befogged) understanding I have so far, it seems like one of those Too Creative Not Allowed (Unless Negotiated) items.

Explanation: Gunriana's a witch. Specifically, she's Prince Testwe's witch. She's loyal to the Fates first, him second, and the rest of the PCs only to the extent that they are 'his' (or as whim takes her). Clawdine, Stone, Arabella and Daniel aren't (yet) of the Prince's party, in that they are not bound to his service in any way that Gunriana's barbarian heritage would recognise. Therefore she sees a large find of gold as a cause of discord, partly because she'd consider herself free to steal it if not bound by oath, and partly because as a witch it's her job to see the shadow side of apparent good fortune.

IC, Gunriana thinks Testwe should either formalise a master-retainer relationship with the outsiders, or get rid of them. Obviously I as a player can't (and wouldn't want to) get rid of anyone from the group, but it's in character for her to suggest it.

There's sort of an unwritten contract for an RPG not to send the game of the rails. The GM agrees to run the adventure, the players agree to play it. I don't think it's out of order for the PCs to talk about breaking up the group, but on the understanding that we (as players) won't let it get to the point of spoiling the game.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With regards to Hesther van Adescant. On the one hand, I oked it before it happened, because it's clearly opening up interesting plotlines for the GM to use. I was however in a bit of a hurry so didn't think through quite where I would want to take it.
So then I had to think about where I would like to take it, and confronted the fact that I don't really like overloaded backstories (i.e. Spiderman is an ordinary schoolboy who gets bitten by a radioactive spider - fine. Spiderman's parents were secret agents, or scientists researching super serum - bad, because it makes Peter Parker less ordinary). So I left it as Daniel's aunt, because that's not too specific.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

A few thoughts:

I've only ever seen Comic Improv, so I don't natively understand the same things about Improv that other people understand.

I find it very easy to create narratives to explain away or slither out of things, and if I can't, I enjoy the challenge of playing with what I've been dealt. So my native sense of what's "too constraining" is, I think, different from other people's.

What is probably invisible to everyone is that it is only by the merest dumb luck that I avoided posting something in the Story that I gather would have been massively offensive to several people, because of what it would violate about their experienced expectations about how RPGs should be. Also invisible is the fact that the kind of thinking that led me to that narrowly avoided precipice has underlain everything I have been writing as I create Arabella on Story.

So I am having to start over, mentally.

I am now afraid of violating the experienced players' very strong expectations about how the game should be, because it will be completely unwittingly on my part but I'm afraid no-one will believe that anyone could be so naive as to be so offensive by accident.

Eliab at least acknowledges that there are unwritten expectations. But I don't know how to obey that piece of culture "don't wreck the game." The experienced players can dance right up to the line but not over it. But I am inexperienced and I won't understand what they're doing and where the line is. So it doesn't feel entirely safe any more to just try to imitate what other players are doing. I thought I was trying to imitate what others were doing up to now, but it turns out I had totally missed the point.

On the surface it may look like I was doing just fine. But I know the thoughts I had underneath the surface, and generating the surface, and it turns out I was mistaken in a large part of my thinking. So I am quite nervous about this game now. But I also think I would really like it, once I learn the culture. So I really really want to learn the culture.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

If you did post something dodgy on the story thread, the world would not explode, in the end this is just a game.

We'd fudge a solution somehow.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

But there's such resistance to fudging a solution in every inch of what people post here, or in Meta.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

What I mean is, we can patch things up if something does go wrong, but we try to avoid needing to.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

But nobody does patch things up. They just freeze.

For example, making the rune ward. Ariston cross-posted with Eliab, and edited to say that his post should be considered one post higher.

Pulling Teswe from the bushes: IngoB and Ariston cross-posted, and IngoB posted on Meta to regret that Teswe got helped to his feet twice.

In both cases, I thought of something to weave together the inconsistencies into a more consistent whole, and had Arabella think about the situations in that way.

But none of the players involved in the crossposts seemed to think of that. So it leaves me feeling that I'm somehow more forgiving of inconsistencies than is the accepted norm for RPG, and that players are going to find problem posts I might cause to be just that: problems without solutions.

As another example, consider the attitude of most players towards the idea of sharing control of their character: frosty doesn't even begin to describe it. So I gather from that that touching another player's character is a really cardinal sin. So as I imagine things I might possibly have Arabella do or say, I am now trying to be hyper vigilant to be sure I don't in anyway indicate anything in Arabella's actions or impressions of characters that could possibly be construed as describing their character in a way they haven't already done. Because the prevailing attitude I pick up is that people want complete control of their characters, and will be deeply offended if that is touched in anyway. Rather than, for example, laughing at the new situation they have been inadvertently maneuvered into and making it up from there.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Those glitches, which are most likely when players don't refresh and read before posting, are unfortunate but relatively minor - in that the outcome and tone is unaltered - someone yanks the Prince to his feet, the sol rune is carved by the people already noted as doing that. The characters involved might come up with a nifty solution post if they thought of it before the story moved on, or it might just be left. Whereas when Clawdine's narrative suddenly threw the characters into effectively different timelines, we had to fiddle a bit to fix that.

I read the begining of the mafia thread after our discussions on this thread, to understand more of the similarities and differences.

In Mafia, all characters actions are very limited in how they effect the game structure - Vote, murder & vote lynch is unaltered. You could dance a striptease on the roof and set the bus on fire - but come the turning of the day the freedom of the other players to vote and the plot structure of the game would never alter.

If you had to go to the front of the bus to vote, and hopthings confincement by other characters somehow prevented that, I imagine the player might become frustrated - especially if it kept happening.

It would be possible to have an rpg where characters/players did manipulate others in the party with their posting style, but it would probably need folks agreement in advance and function as a comedy game.

[ 19. May 2014, 12:03: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Eliab at least acknowledges that there are unwritten expectations. But I don't know how to obey that piece of culture "don't wreck the game." The experienced players can dance right up to the line but not over it. But I am inexperienced and I won't understand what they're doing and where the line is. So it doesn't feel entirely safe any more to just try to imitate what other players are doing. I thought I was trying to imitate what others were doing up to now, but it turns out I had totally missed the point.

On the surface it may look like I was doing just fine. But I know the thoughts I had underneath the surface, and generating the surface, and it turns out I was mistaken in a large part of my thinking. So I am quite nervous about this game now. But I also think I would really like it, once I learn the culture. So I really really want to learn the culture.

You ARE the culture. There isn't any relevant RPG community beyond these threads whose expectations you need to conform to. It's just us.

The unwritten contract is the one between all of us. Every RPG has its own culture, but this differs from group to group and from game to game. Our unwritten contract is whatever all of us accept as necessary to play this game - the one DT is running. It's sort of assumed that we (the players) will let our characters team up, more-or-less cooperate, accept any challenges that are clearly plot-hooks, and not make choices that amount to a refusal to play the game or allow others to do so. So, for example, if I post on the story thread 'Gunriana is sick of this bunch of losers and goes home', that would be (whether I say so expressly or not) an effective 'I quit'. I couldn't reasonably expect the game to carry on modelling my character's life after she breaks with the others.

But there are grey areas. Suppose all the male PCs decided not to listen to the female ones, for explicitly IC sexist reasons. That could well be a legitimate IC attitude to take. There isn't an unwritten rule that characters can't be prejudiced. Does it amount to shutting the players of female characters out of the game? It's not hard to see that a person might reasonably feel excluded from play if everything his character says is dismissed out of hand, even if the actions are totally IC. I suspect that here, most of us would consider that to be a fair complaint, and think that role-played bias which excludes players breaks our unwrittten culture. Most of us probably also think that some IC expressions of bias or unfairness are allowable in the game - we aren't playing perfected saints. However I've played in one gaming group where any IC sexism at all was unacceptable ('we play games for fun, not to put up with that') and others where complaining about any IC injustice or cruelty whatsoever would be considered absurdly oversensitive. So I can't tell you what the general RPG culture is for that. It varies. What matters here is what the people actually playing think.

I think the guideline should be to describe what the game is trying to do and ask if what you are intending spoils it. If in doubt, ask.

Example from the last chapter: the 'chapter heading' might have been "The Prince's party hunt the Vampire". That's the game. If you think "my character's really a selfish coward, he'll go with them for the sake of loot, but make sure the others take all the risks." You're beginning to knock up against the 'heroic fantasy' model, but not fatally so, because playing your character that way doesn't make the overal theme impossible. Saying "I'm secretly a necromancer and I intend to sell out the party to the vampire in exchange for immortality" would be another thing altogether - it's saying "I don't want to play the heroic fantasy game after all, I want a PvP horror game instead". So before doing the later, you should at least ask the GM for permission. He or she may not want to run PvP. It's a very different game to run, with lots of conflicting interests to balance.

Does that help any?

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In light of recent events, we'll be taking a 24 hour break.

—A, CH

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I have done some thinking, in the light of the poll. It seems most people are not too sold on 13th age style backgrounds. Most people feel communally run characters would be alright, if the players concerned agreed.

Everybody seems to want to continue with a Homebrew system.

Combat situation is somewhat more complex, I have had a play around. This involves renaming the 6 potentials to make things more catchy to remember. I am posting here for consideration:

Standard (Renamed) Potentials: WRITES

W. its
R. eadiness (vigilance)
I. nspiration (soul)
T. oughness (muscles)
E. lan (charm)
S. pryness (finess/dexterity)

WRITES Combat Mechanic

Plan, Narrate, Crisis Phases

Standard mode: own fight, no player aid and win/lose/spawn mechanic (2d20 rolls per fight) for minion & nemesis combat. Can run away between fights with a roll of 7 or more. (In Nemesis combat, if you fight the monster again, without another player attacking in between, your fight goes up a difficulty rank - returns to original once you have had a breather.) Vigilance either decides turn order, or gives an attack bonus, depending on GM's narrative decision.

WRONGS Advanced Combat Mechanic

Points calculated from the point buy cost.

W. ellbeing = Toughness x 20
R. ecovery = 1/2 Toughness rounded down regained every 3 combat rounds
O. nslaught = Relevant Potential + combat roll
N. egate = Spryness + Armor Bonus (penalty to opponent's roll)
G. ouge = Overkill + Weapons Bonus + Toughness (Gouge reduces targets' Wellbeing)
S. peed = Spryness + Readiness

Turn based combat, players can aid others and any skill roll can be substituted for an Onslaught attack - uses system against both minions and nemesis.

Onslaught (attack) must exceed GM's assigned target number to succeed.
Each action in the combat round requires a single D20 roll.
Each action requires 2 speed points to attempt, except for running away which costs only 1 and requires a roll of 7 or more.
Incapacitated at 0 Wellbeing, 3 rounds at negative Wellbeing results in Character death. Successful healing returns 1/4 of total wellbeing points.
(Overkill is the amount by which your onslaught roll exceeded the target figure given by the GM.)
GM would usually calculate the target figure by starting at 10 then adding or subtracting 5 for each rank difference between.relevant combat potential - and then adjusting for penalties and bonuses.

A combat turn is complete when all players and enemies have acted in order of Vigilance, attacks can be held, no geographic strategies (i.e no flanking, backstab, cover bonuses though acceptable in story description.)

(In an extremely combat light adventure, you would just role a D20 against a target figure given by the GM .)

[ 20. May 2014, 18:22: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016