homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Interesting Words (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Interesting Words
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glodda sounds Welsh - plural Gloddau perhaps?

IANAWS

(I Am Not A Welsh-Speaker, so open to correction)

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's terrible when you get gribble in your futtocks.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there a lotion for that, though?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a lotion, perhaps, but an unguent instead?

A much nicer word, and it doesn't sting...unlike embrocation when accidentally applied to broken skin...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Glodda sounds Welsh - plural Gloddau perhaps?

IANAWS

(I Am Not A Welsh-Speaker, so open to correction)

IJ

Could be a NW dialect pronunciation of *glodde, plural would likely be *gloddiau. Dd as th in "this", of course. Were the plural *Gloddau it would be pronounced colloquially the same as the singularthroughout Wales, although distinct in formal speech.

[ 19. October 2017, 17:08: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Not a lotion, perhaps, but an unguent instead?

A much nicer word, and it doesn't sting...unlike embrocation when accidentally applied to broken skin...

Definitely the latter, I feel.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks, Karl - I had a sneaking feeling that something was missing from Gloddau.

Like I said, IANAWS.

IJ

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toolie-weeds. "They live out in the toolie-weeds."

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo moo'd, a while back:
quote:
When I was in Belfast, I was the Research Assistant for Ulster Dialects, and I also taught a small class. One day I asked the students what Gaelic words they knew that were in common local use. All the examples they came up with were insults that children used on the playground. They were vague about the exact meaning of these words.
Off-topic, I concede: but back when I was teaching at a Finnish university, we had a student who went on exchange to Luimneach [that's Limerick to most of us]. One weekend a group of the exchange students went to visit Belfast, and got into a slight confrontation with someone who didn't like foreigners. Since I don't have the Gaelic myself, the following account of the dialogue has to be in the English tongue, but was uttered entirely in Gaelic: "Fuck off, bloody foreigners!" – reply. "Fuck off yourself, you bad-tempered git." But then, the student in question was rather good at languages.
[Devil]

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Petrichor, the aroma of rain on hot dry earth.

Both a good sounding word and a delightful definition.

Nice to know there is a word for such a heavenly sensation.

Piffle as in the talking of.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, its not the 'real' word* for the item in question, but the Welsh slang for a microwave is popty-ping which just makes me smile [Smile]

* correct word is meicrodon

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Peely wally" yes good Scottish word. ]
You are as pale as a wally (china) dug (dog) on the mantle-piece.......one of those china dogs with a white face.

Because I was fair skinned I was always called peely-wally as a child.

What about "The great piratical rumbustification"? (was the title of a children's book our son loved many years ago.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't find any of your "Welsh" words in my Welsh dictionary - even with mutations.

Could be a deriative of "glo" = coal
e.g. "glo brig" = open cast mining;
"pwll glo" = coal mine

or it could just mean a load of dross.............

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some ordinary sounding words sound dull unless spoken in a different accent.

Take the word tatty. Prety much a meh. word.

But when spoken in a North Wales accent, which emphasised the second syllable, we get ta-TEA. A much better word/

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd suggest that some of these Welsh words may be "Wenglish", ie they are aren't pure Welsh, but Welsh/English hybrids.

Also you have to remember that the language has some distinct differences between North and South Wales.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realised too late the other day that I was showing my age when I referred to a very young female type person as a tomboy. Seems that one may no longer say that.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
a gathering of recalcitrant plooks

Sounds like some kind of committee meeting.

I love the word inchoate

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just came across another good one: farcical

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I submit:

kerfuffle

humbucker

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
kerfuffle is good
I remember learning this from an Australian kids' movie at Saturday morning matinee at the local cinema – that must date it around 1950 [Roll Eyes]

to piffle I counter with a peffle [= a persistent dry unimpressive cough

and what about nithered? – Yorkshire dialect for freezing cold

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Just came across another good one: farcical

A bike on which you can make long journeys.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
litotes We all use them but how many are aware of the correct descriptive?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
litotes We all use them but how many are aware of the correct descriptive?

I had to look that word up!
quote:
ironic understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by the negative of its contrary (e.g., you won't be sorry, meaning you'll be glad ).
Now, close to a year ago, when asked if I'd be willing to accept nomination as senior warden at my church, my response was, "I won't say no." Immediately, a motion was made (and seconded and approved) to cast a unanimous vote for me. Maybe people thought this was what I was doing. I literally meant if pressed, I'd reluctantly agree, if no one else was willing.

Note to self: Avoid this construction.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keibat:

to piffle I counter with a peffle [= a persistent dry unimpressive cough

and what about nithered? – Yorkshire dialect for freezing cold

My mother used to say "piffle" when she was dismissing something, like I say "it's very cold out", and she says "oh piffle!".
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone suggested 'paraphernalia'?

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
Has anyone suggested 'paraphernalia'?

Literally That which a girl brings to her marriage which is not a part of her dowry and which is therefore hers alone.

Aftermath is an interesting one; literally it's what's left in the field after it has been mown. It's hardly ever used now in its original sense, but its figurative meaning is alive and well.

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

Bamboozle.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

If I was the queen, and thought the Corbynistas were likely to form the net government, I would put my money out of their reach too.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

Sorry, that was meant to go in 'unpopular opinions'.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gallimaufry. Nothing to do with Doctor Who. It means a 'confused jumble or medley of things'.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coruscating - it means Sparkling or Brilliant, and not as some illiterates (especially newspaper theatre and film reviewers) seem to think, Trenchant or Biting.

It's far too good a word to be lost to ignorance!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016