homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Our Lady's marriage (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Our Lady's marriage
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick question (hosts: feel free to move to e.g. kerygmania if that seems a more suitable place for it).
Under Jewish law/ custom as applicable at the time of Our Lord's birth, did marriage require- as it broadly does today in at least Western Canon Law and indeed in English Law- consummation? What set me wondering was a discussion on social media about the doctrine of the perpetual virginity of the BVM.
I thought this was the sort of place where someone would be bound to know what answer.
Thanks.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6356 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In strict law, a marriage at English law does not 'require' consummation. Unlike with say bigamy, or one of the parties being under age, it is valid but voidable, not void, until consummated. If neither party petitions to be released from it, it stands. They are still married unless and until one of them does something about it. Indeed, if a party acquiesces too long without doing anything about it, they may find themselves no longer able to be released on that ground.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7094 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, thank you, that rings bells with my long ago study of family law. Nonetheless, consummation is important. But was it so for the Jews 2000 years ago?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In practice, no one but the man and woman would know whether the marriage had been consummated, unless they told someone.

I have heard that some couples live in an unconsummated marriage for their whole lives, while others have sex only on a few occasions because they want children.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19997 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a young man, my father - who was a diplomat - attended at least one wedding in the Middle East at which guests were expected to watch the couple consummate the marriage. Though the couple were covered with a sheet.

I vaguely recall being told in some cultures newly weds were expected to produce a bloodied sheet in the days after the wedding.

In some ways the BVM's story circumvents this, she was thought to have sex before her marriage - by her husband - so he was doing everything on the quiet. So presumably no wedding party etc.

Theologically, I'd have thought anything God wishes to do trumps existing social conventions.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19085 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely Mary and Joseph's marriage was consummated, as Mark 3 v32 refers to Jesus' brothers and sisters.

An RCC Shipmate might happen along to explain it, but I can't grasp the need for a doctrine of perpetual virginity for Mary.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8023 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

No, I don't get the perpetual virginity thing either. But I know some (many?) Christians do- hence wondering about whether this would have affected the marriage in any way, if anyone had been minded to bring it up. As has been said, for understandable and fairly obvious reasons consummation only normally comes up as an issue when one or other party wants out. And some people only do have sex enough to produce the number of children they want: each of us knows, for example, that that's what our parents did, because anything else is unimaginable. [Big Grin]
But I ask again, does anybody know what importance, if any, consummation had in Jewish marriage law or custom in Palestine in our Lady's time?

[ 25. June 2017, 21:38: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Surely Mary and Joseph's marriage was consummated, as Mark 3 v32 refers to Jesus' brothers and sisters.

An RCC Shipmate might happen along to explain it, but I can't grasp the need for a doctrine of perpetual virginity for Mary.

IJ

I always thought that the idea that Mary was perpetually a virgin was don to the idea that sex was somehow yukky and that a holy person like Mary would never have 'done it' because her body had to remain untainted by such things.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How amazing that nobody ever noticed that verse until the Reformation. It's like the Catholics and Orthodox didn't even realize it was there! What egg on their face when it was finally discovered!

quote:
How interesting that you think we create doctrines based on a preconceived need.

quote:
Mudfrog:
I always thought that the idea that Mary was perpetually a virgin was don to the idea that sex was somehow yukky and that a holy person like Mary would never have 'done it' because her body had to remain untainted by such things.

You were always wrong.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62437 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:

IJ

I always thought that the idea that Mary was perpetually a virgin was down to the idea that sex was somehow yukky and that a holy person like Mary would never have 'done it' because her body had to remain untainted by such things.
The version that comes on the board before, is more that what she had inside her was rather special. And hence her bits were as it were counter-tainted by holyness that even a normally good act is out of action.
(leading to tabernacle comparisions)

(I suspect a double combination of both effects).

Any how protestent nature coming through, While Joseph and Mary were clearly away of some stuff, I don't think they had such such a clear picture.
And think the incarnation happened from the beginning without a warm up and needing everything to fit round him*.
And as such happy whatever I find out, either way.

*needing to add 'except Mary' in Matt 19 (hold fast to his wife and become one flesh) as well as the more famous John 8 (without sin throw stone)

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:

Any how protestent nature coming through, While Joseph and Mary were clearly away of some stuff, I don't think they had such such a clear picture.
And think the incarnation happened from the beginning without a warm up and needing everything to fit round him*.

*needing to add 'except Mary' in Matt 19 (hold fast to his wife and become one flesh) as well as the more famous John 8 (without sin throw stone)

?? Wot? [Paranoid] A new language maybe? - English-esque...

--------------------
When you listen to Bruce's music you are [no longer] a loser. You are a character in an epic poem...about losers.
- Jon Stewart on Bruce Springsteen -

Posts: 901 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does John 8 have to do with it?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Completely anecdotal, but the most repressed people I've met are Protestant. Thought the whole sex-in-a-dark-room-missionary-position-only-for-procreation-and-don't-enjoy-it always seemed a child for the Reformation.
Aren't the sex standing up leads to dancing jokes about Prots?

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16056 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There is a prima facie case for Mary's having borne children other than Jesus, which requires special pleading to explain away.

There might well have been a yuk-factor (such as can be found in Jerome and Augustine, eg "We are born between urine and faeces") in the formulation of the dogma.

But there was also probably a theologically serious (which is not to say theologically valid) Augustinian argument that the concupiscence inevitably accompanying sexual activity is the propagatory vehicle of original sin, with which those guilty of latria or hyperdulia (as opposed to dulia) toward Mary would be unhappy to see her associated.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The LDS have done some delightful videos of the Life of Jesus, of which I've found some useful stills when I was googling NT situations. (And they don't have blond Caucasian type figures. When Mary and Joseph went back to look for the 12-year-old Jesus in the Temple they showed his parents with a couple of younger siblings... Incidentally, two things that I noted when I was following that story was that it was really dangerous for them to travel back alone: lone travellers were always at risk of robbers etc, which is why one always travelled in a group. And it was worth noting that it was Jesus' mother and not his father who reproached him for giving them a fright by being 'lost'.
Doesn't that perpetual virgin stuff all go with the idea that sex and sin seem to have been related to the disobedience that got Adam and Eve cast out of the garden?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2539 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
The LDS have done some delightful videos of the Life of Jesus, of which I've found some useful stills when I was googling NT situations. (And they don't have blond Caucasian type figures, another good point). When Mary and Joseph went back to look for the 12-year-old Jesus in the Temple they showed his parents with a couple of younger siblings... Incidentally, two things that I noted when I was following that story was that it was really dangerous for them to travel back alone: lone travellers were always at risk of robbers etc, which is why one always travelled in a group. And it was worth noting that it was Jesus' mother and not his father who reproached him for giving them a fright by being 'lost'.In a patriarchal culture it would more likely have been the father to scold him.
Doesn't that perpetual virgin stuff all go with the idea that sex and sin seem to have been related to the disobedience that got Adam and Eve cast out of the garden?

GG

Oh dear, I meant to edit and I replied by mistake.
Sorry if I confused anyone.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2539 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:

This is just Bulverism, as is much if not most of the anti-PVM arguing.

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:

?? Wot? [Paranoid] A new language maybe? - English-esque...
Should be aware not away. Mary and Joseph clearly learned a lot, but don't seem to have got everything fixed, completely.

Meanwhile in the incarnation God came into a world of sin, God became man, dwelt among us. Many of the doctrines about Mary seem to be a lot of work solving problems that are already been cut through on the big scale.
None of which need make much difference to believing (you need yet another massive layer of assumptions for the heavy Marian stuff to be compulsory, while a similar level of assumptions the other way to make the lighter Marian stuff unhelpful), and I'm more or less happy to wait to find out one way or another.

(There is an age old joke, involving John 8-where Mary can and does throw the first stone. It of course relies on an exaggeration of the doctrines involved.)

[ 26. June 2017, 06:30: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
As a young man, my father - who was a diplomat - attended at least one wedding in the Middle East at which guests were expected to watch the couple consummate the marriage. Though the couple were covered with a sheet.

I vaguely recall being told in some cultures newly weds were expected to produce a bloodied sheet in the days after the wedding.

There are indeed sub-cultures here in Israel where bloody sheets are examined. Both Jewish and Muslim but I don't know about the Christians. But note, not ALL Jews or Muslims; just certain "courtyards" of the Ultra Orthodox in Jerusalem and Bnei Brak. On the Muslim side there is a thriving medical specialty for reconstructing hymens eg in Nazareth and Beersheva. (That latter reminds me of the Old Days where everyone knew of doctors who would do abortions, actually)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 583 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one else's business once the mohar was paid to Mary's father, the ketubah drawn up, in this case all discretely, no reception.

No one else including >=C2nd churches either, laying down their pious law and therefore missing the point.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 15958 | From: More Corieltauvi than Dobunni now. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI at Elizabethan weddings, the bride and groom went to bed and pulled up the covers. Then everyone gathered round and commented on what appeared to be going on underneath the covers.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19997 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just an observation, and I'm trying not to take sides here, but in my interactions with RCs, Orthodox and Protestants, I've never noticed the Orthodox - who are big on the Perpetual Virginity of Mary - being particularly hung-up about the apparent ickiness of sex.

I've tended to find that some RCs and certain forms of ultra-conservative Protestant are more hung up about these things.

But hey, what do I know?

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15086 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
re: Jesus' brothers, I was taught (as an Orthodox) that these were Josephs children by a prior marriage. evidence is that a) Jesus put the care of Mary into John's hands at the crucifixion. If his brothers were Mary's children, there would have been no need for that, and b) Jesus' brothers were said to make fun of him early in his ministry. were he the oldest brother in the family, such ridicule by younger siblings would be unthinkable in their society (or so I'm told). This shows they were older (and he the younger), only possible if they were Joseph's children but not Mary's.

I have also heard the interpretation that "brothers" in this case actually refers to cousins. In many cultures (Russian for one, but I can't speak to first century Jewish culture) and languages, the word for cousin is "secondary brother" and often just "brother" is used.

Personally, I don't care about Mary's virginity, either perpetual, or even with regard to Jesus's conception. I accept it, but it doesn't factor into my faith at all (were it proven to be not true, it wouldn't change my view of Jesus one bit). But the arguments about brothers seem pretty empty to me, given the above points. while it's true they MAY be Mary's children, alternative explanations are not hard to find.

Posts: 761 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta:
But the arguments about brothers seem pretty empty to me, given the above points. while it's true they MAY be Mary's children, alternative explanations are not hard to find.

The alternative explanations are equally, if not more, specious. They may be true but they seem to be convenient ways of trying to explain away a reality that seems to negate a core doctrine.

Celibacy is not unknown now nor was it in the 1st century. Trouble is, claims may not stack up with reality. Mary was chosen by God to be the natural mother of Christ - why would God deny the joy of intimacy post birth? If that's the case Mary can't really identify with us in our human condition.

Occam's razor suggests that, in the absence of firm evidence to the contrary, we accept the simplest explanation - that is, brothers means brothers.

Posts: 3634 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If one has to find alternate explanations in order to defend a doctrine, it would seem to me that the doctrine is specious.
Posts: 900 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't agree more! Trying to say that they were not "real" (half-) brothers and sisters surely stems from an a priori position of belief about Mary and her behaviour subsequent to giving birth to Jesus.

Where I have questions - and I preached on this a year or two back - is whether Mary had any genuine choice in being the mother of Jesus or whether she was coerced or imposed upon by a divine Power greater than her. Yes, I know that she "consented" to being the mother of Jesus; but, having been told that "the Holy Spirit will come upon you", did she have any real say in the matter? If not, what might that say about God and the way he accomplishes his purposes?

(Yes, I know that there are other people in the Bible, such as Jeremiah or even Jonah, who seem to have had little choice in their calling. But they weren't told that they were going to get pregnant and bear God's Child!)

[ 26. June 2017, 14:59: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 8761 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, and 'thank you' to ExclamationMark for so sensibly employing Occam's Razor.

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 8023 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

quote:
Where I have questions - and I preached on this a year or two back - is whether Mary had any genuine choice in being the mother of Jesus or whether she was coerced or imposed upon by a divine Power greater than her. Yes, I know that she "consented" to being the mother of Jesus; but, having been told that "the Holy Spirit will come upon you", did she have any real say in the matter? If not, what might that say about God and the way he accomplishes his purposes?
AIUI the doctrines of the Immaculate Conception, in the west, and Mary's sinlessness, in the east, are - among other things - affirmations of the belief that Mary acted through free choice and not because she was afraid of upsetting God.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9650 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
If one has to find alternate explanations in order to defend a doctrine, it would seem to me that the doctrine is specious.

There goes the Incarnation then. Because we have to explain away many a verse that Arius fell back on. Let's start with "this day I have begotten thee." Go for it. I'll watch.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Occam's razor cuts both ways. Rather than spin unprovable stories about how people hated icky sex, and all of the other explanations offered here in the true spirit of Bulverism, the simplest explanation is that they believed it because they knew it to be true.

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Occam's razor cuts both ways. Rather than spin unprovable stories about how people hated icky sex, and all of the other explanations offered here in the true spirit of Bulverism, the simplest explanation is that they believed it because they knew it to be true.

That simple explanation invites us to keep believing in King Arthur, copper bracelets for rheumatism, Elvis in the supermarket, Robin Hood and his round table, the yeti, leprechauns, and the Loch Ness monster and his merry men. Scepticism can bring simplicity, and awareness of the tendency to create beliefs isn't always Bulverism.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4438 | From: Chingestorp | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilbuddha wrote:

quote:
Completely anecdotal, but the most repressed people I've met are Protestant. Thought the whole sex-in-a-dark-room-missionary-position-only-for-procreation-and-don't-enjoy-it always seemed a child for the Reformation.

True, but the whole "hyper-idealization of motherhood" thing has always seemed to me really Catholic. So, while Catholics might have been more laidback about the idea of people in general being carnal creatures, they might have been a bit more neurotic about the idea of their own mother(and by extension the woman who is a veritable mother to us all) having the normal physical functions and urges.

(Caveat: Like your observations, that's pretty much just anecdotal, but seems fairly well-established, at least from my own raised-Catholic-in-a-mixed-family perspective. Likely, Mariolatry itself has helped cement that impression in my mind.)

[ 26. June 2017, 15:43: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6158 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Mousethief:

quote:

There is only one person who could definitively tell us if the doctrine was true or not and she wasn't, AFAIK, present when it was defined.

The most we can say is that the people who defined the doctrine believed that it was true because, with the conceptual tools at their disposal it made more sense to them than the alternative, and most Christians, subsequently, have agreed with them. This is not a negligible or contemptible position but it is the most that we can claim.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9650 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
lilbuddha wrote:

quote:

True, but the whole "hyper-idealization of motherhood" thing has always seemed to me really Catholic. So, while Catholics might have been more laidback about the idea of people in general being carnal creatures, they might have been a bit more neurotic about the idea of their own mother(and by extension the woman who is a veritable mother to us all) having the normal physical functions and urges.

(Caveat: Like your observations, that's pretty much just anecdotal, but seems fairly well-established, at least from my own raised-Catholic-in-a-mixed-family perspective. Likely, Mariolatry itself has helped cement that impression in my mind.)

Isn't his a bit chicken-and-egg though? 21st century Catholics' views on motherhood are surely influenced by 17 (or so) centuries of this doctrine.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has, afaik, never been in Judaism any great veneration of the idea of celibacy.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11554 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Perhaps I'm missing something somewhere, but...

1. Mary (a young girl, and a virgin at that time) freely chooses to be the Mother of Jesus, whose conception is the result of her acceptance of the Holy Spirit.

2. Joseph marries Mary as planned, but does not have intercourse with her until after Jesus' birth.

3. Mary subsequently enjoys a normal married life with Joseph, and has other children (Our Lord's 'brothers and sisters') by him.

4. At some point (after Jesus' 12th year), Joseph presumably dies, as there is no further mention of him in the Bible IIRC.

5. At the Crucifixion, Jesus commends His Mother to John's care, possibly simply because he is there at the time, whereas Jesus' siblings are not. (John Bar-Zebedee may well have been a young man from a well-to-do family, so a sensible person to hand Mary over to!)

All of which is to be found in Scripture, but none of which, ISTM, detracts in any way from Mary's vital part in the story of our redemption, or from the example she gives us in her obedience to, and acceptance of, God's will.

So what's with the doctrine of 'perpetual virginity'? No disrespect to RCC or Orthodox, but I simply don't see the point of it. Mary having sex with Joseph after Jesus' birth surely doesn't denigrate or diminish her in any way? Or why would God have chosen to enable human beings to procreate by having intercourse, male with female?

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So what's with the doctrine of 'perpetual virginity'? No disrespect to RCC or Orthodox, but I simply don't see the point of it.

Me neither - and no disrespect to Mary, "most highly favoured of women".
Posts: 8761 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
lilbuddha wrote:

quote:

Isn't his a bit chicken-and-egg though? 21st century Catholics' views on motherhood are surely influenced by 17 (or so) centuries of this doctrine.
Yeah, I'm not neccesarily talking about which direction the casuistry goes. Just replying to lilbuddha's observation that protestants in general seem more sexually repressed than Catholics, even though Catholics have the chaster view of Mary. Whether the theology caused the overall views on motherhood, or vice versa, I don't know.

[ 26. June 2017, 16:27: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6158 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not just the Orthodox and RCs either, of course, Luther, Calvin and Wesley all apparently believed in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary.

I can understand that with first generation Reformers such as Luther and Calvin, but it does seem a strange view for Wesley to have held - unless, of course, it was a fairly standard view in the Anglican church of the 1700s.

Someone more knowledgeable than I am can perhaps shed more light on that.

If it was, I'd be interested to know when such a belief 'died out' among Anglicans. I'd assumed it was something Anglo-Catholics latched onto when they ... well, when they became Anglican Catholics in the wake of the Oxford Movement.

That's assuming that all Anglo-Catholics believe it, of course, they might not for all I know ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15086 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just replying to lilbuddha's observation that protestants in general seem more sexually repressed than Catholics, even though Catholics have the chaster view of Mary. Whether the theology caused the overall views on motherhood, or vice versa, I don't know.

Mary has a special status. So sex could be seen as a sinless thing in itself, but not an activity for her.
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

I can understand that with first generation Reformers such as Luther and Calvin, but it does seem a strange view for Wesley to have held - unless, of course, it was a fairly standard view in the Anglican church of the 1700s.

Someone more knowledgeable than I am can perhaps shed more light on that.

Not sure how knowledgeable, but Wiki's take on it. It would seem to be a relatively recent thing.

--------------------

Posts: 16056 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Well, nobody yet seems to know the answer to my original question, but from the discussion so far, I'm with the non-perpetual virginity crowd. Exclamation Mark puts a question which for me goes to the heart of it:

quote:
Mary was chosen by God to be the natural mother of Christ - why would God deny the joy of intimacy post birth?
Indeed, I think that would be rather a cruel thing to do.

[ 26. June 2017, 18:36: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps I'm missing something somewhere, but...

1. Mary (a young girl, and a virgin at that time) freely chooses to be the Mother of Jesus, whose conception is the result of her acceptance of the Holy Spirit.

2. Joseph marries Mary as planned, but does not have intercourse with her until after Jesus' birth.

3. Mary subsequently enjoys a normal married life with Joseph, and has other children (Our Lord's 'brothers and sisters') by him.

Yes, you are missing:

1(a): Mary gets her mind around the concept that her Lord and God chose her to bear His child.
1(b): Joseph was not planning to have any sex with her at all because he thought she had been with somebody else and was planning to divorce her quietly.
1(c): God lets Joseph know in the dream that this is Different and she is bearing the Son of Joseph's Lord & God as well; so Joseph follows directions and goes through with the marriage.

Then your Point 2. Followed by:
2(a): Mary is pregnant and her cousin Elizabeth is inspired to recognize the difference and proclaim Mary as the mother of her Lord, further cementing that this child is Something Special and not just a bun in the oven.
2(b): Mary gives birth and shepherds come and report that freaking angels are proclaiming it!
2(c): Wise men from the Orient come and proclaim the birth as something so special it showed up in their freaking astrological charts!
2(d): Mary reflects on these things in heart.
2(e): Mary & Joseph conclude from the evidence that she has been the vessel of the Son of God himself. THE God. Yahweh. The Big Kahuna. Creator of Heaven & Earth. THAT God.
2(f): Mary & Joseph agree that maybe having a hot-and-sweaty roll in the hay after that would be inappropriate, so she stays virginal.

In other words, God didn't "make" Mary remain a virgin. It wasn't forced on her. It wasn't some sort of punishment. It was a free choice and, under the circumstances (because, you know, it isn't like Yahweh does this sort of thing all the time--in fact, never before--)freely choosing to remain virginal and not trespass on the sacred ground where one's One & Only God the Almighty has been would be a perfectly sane and reasonable decision for a mortal to make.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2547 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not understand why people think it is appropriate to delve into the intimate personal life of a husband and wife long since dead. How is this matter relevant to our lives? How is it worth our time to consider the matter? Is there actually any hope of resolving it?
Posts: 1449 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Well, nobody yet seems to know the answer to my original question, but from the discussion so far, I'm with the non-perpetual virginity crowd. Exclamation Mark puts a question which for me goes to the heart of it:

quote:
Mary was chosen by God to be the natural mother of Christ - why would God deny the joy of intimacy post birth?
You mean like fully human Jesus not boinking?

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
2(f): Mary & Joseph agree that maybe having a hot-and-sweaty roll in the hay after that would be inappropriate, so she stays virginal.

See, this is where it falls down for me. I don't see why they would come to that decision unless they had some feeling that sex between a married couple was somehow less sacred than celibacy, which as I say afaik the Jews never did.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11554 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, OK to all Hedgehog's points, except 2(f).

Why on earth or in heaven shouldn't Mary and Joseph, as a married couple, enjoy what Hedgehog so elegantly describes as a 'hot and sweaty roll in the hay'?

[Confused]

And, in any case, the reference to Joseph in Matthew 1 v25 shows that they did have intercourse, presumably followed by the births of brothers and sisters referred to by Mark.

It's there, in plain view, in the Gospel!

IJ

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

quote:
Knowing He was going to make a destitute young widow and fatherless kids. What man would do that?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 15958 | From: More Corieltauvi than Dobunni now. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, apart from in Dan Brown's fevered imagination, there's no evidence that he did.

That doesn't stop him (being fully human, and all that) from maybe falling in love, having sexual desires etc., but, in his case, keeping them on a leash.

As, no doubt, many celibate Christians also do.

IJ

--------------------

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

quote:
The argument over the perpetual virginity of The BVM is an argument over the authority of tradition vs scripture especially when absent the context of tradition (and yes, there is always the question of who gets to make sense of all the different strands of tradition), scripture seems to indicate the opposite of what the tradition maintained by the RCC and Orthodox Churches.

As a (very pro-sex, and in other cases probably heretical vis a vis what Rome would think) RCC who has no problem believing in the perpetual virginity of the BVM, I do see the silliness about all the arguments about the backwardness of venerating a life without sex given the near universal Christian belief in the lifelong virginity of Christ. I know no mention is made in scripture of marriage or children - so I'm not arguing that In terms of scripture or tradition the continence of Christ is related to the perpetual virginity of His mother. However, if Christ could make the relatively radical for his time and culture choice to eschew marriage, children, and sex for life, then surely His mother, who I have no problem calling a prophet, surely could not have also eschewed sex for life, as a calling her (quite possibly non-virgin) husband Jospeh assented to and was happy with? Protestants hate the idea not so much because they think sex is so wonderful but because they think it contradicts the clear meaning of scripture (I disagree, because I think "clear meaning of scripture" is an oxymoronic phrase - and I like the Orthodox idea that scripture is just a part of tradition). Also, some protestants are deeply uncomfortable with the idea of a marriage contracted with no intent to have sex or bear children (St Joseph may have intended to have a sexual marriage with the BVM when he became engaged to her, but after his message from the angel may very well have decided with his fiancée that they would have a sexless marriage as their particular matrimonial vocation). Someone who is deeply suspicious of any belief not citeable in scripture would find this speculation pointless and silly, but I think it's just as theologically useful, given the very long history of so many Christians believing in the perpetual virginity of the BVM, as good old fashioned scriptural exegesis. But different Christian traditions have different sources of doctrinal authority and different things they draw from in making theological arguments. It's as simple as that.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Well, apart from in Dan Brown's fevered imagination, there's no evidence that he did.

That doesn't stop him (being fully human, and all that) from maybe falling in love, having sexual desires etc., but, in his case, keeping them on a leash.

As, no doubt, many celibate Christians also do.

IJ

Exactly. Mary was not leashed so.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016