homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Jack Chick - What surprises are in store? (RIP) (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Jack Chick - What surprises are in store? (RIP)
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
L'organist--

I used to hope that God would present Herself to just-deceased Fred Phelps as a beautiful drag queen--just long enough to make a point.

So several millennia, then.

Chick did, at least, give his approval for the production of Dark Dungeons which is utterly hilarious (and surprisingly faithful to the original tract) and makes me want to see anything with Anastasia Higham.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mertseger--

Though Fred did start changing before he died. IIRC, there was some kind of LGBT organization across from his home, and he got to know people a bit. He started accepting them.

Which got me to drop my fantasy of how he'd meet God. He was already beginning to get the point.

FWIW. Good to see you. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
L'organist--

I used to hope that God would present Herself to just-deceased Fred Phelps as a beautiful drag queen--just long enough to make a point.

So several millennia, then.

Chick did, at least, give his approval for the production of Dark Dungeons which is utterly hilarious (and surprisingly faithful to the original tract) and makes me want to see anything with Anastasia Higham.

Here is a live action version of Big Daddy, the anti-evolution tract, which follows the original very closely(both visually and dialogue-wise), and is quite professionally made.

Hard to tell whether it's meant ironically or not. Going by the guy's other videos, I'd wager he's not a fundamentalist. My guess is that the video was made as a film-school project or something.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met cartoonist Dan Clowes once, and got in a weird chat with him about how Chick impacted his artwork. Clowes had done a couple tract parodies in his comic. Despite the cringe worthy subject matter, there is something arresting about the way Chick and his cronies use the comic book medium that other artists have sought to duplicate. Maybe the film short is another indication of Chick's artistic impact.

(Somewhere in my stuff I have a first edition copy of Eightball #1 with Clowes' signature and "I [heart] Jack Chick" scribbled on it.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The style of Chick tracts is an awful lot like the old "Tijuana Bibles", when you come right down to it... (don't google Tijuana Bible at work).

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why should the Devil have all the best Bibles?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Fistbumps Robert.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(Fistbumps Robert.)

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016