homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Cover your eyes, Jonny! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cover your eyes, Jonny!
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
High profile cases get publicity. Sympathetic reporting adds to the narrative that Christians are persecuted for doing every day, Christian stuff like praying or wearing a crucifix. This helps with fund-raising.

I don't think this is really about fund-raising. Christian Concern and the Christian Legal Centre have very small budgets and the lawyers work pro bono.

It's not a project to make or raise money, it's simply a crusade. An effort to get the message out.

quote:
It also helps is that people get bored with news stories so when verdict comes in - and they lose - there's less noise.

I always feel sorry for the poor saps who get involved with them. A good lawyer should, IMO, tell a client whether or not they have a reasonable case. Looking at some of the employment cases, it’s been obvious from the first story they were likely to lose.

Tubbs

I'd be very surprised if any of the clients ever were given the impression that they had a chance of winning.

The large “Donate” button on every page of the website must be a coincidence then. Every page.

You’re right, this is a crusade. If they win a case, it proves that Christians’ are being persecuted. If they don’t, it’s because the law is unfair and discriminatory. They totally have an agenda.

But I think you're wrong about the potential impression they give clients.

All the accounts of cases suggest that the client is completely blameless. Just innocently going about their Christian business. Inconvenient facts are glossed over. Such as the claimant ignoring requests to stop the behaviour after complaints from other staff / clients.

Everything suggests that the cases have a reasonable chance of success. (Just donate so they can fight on!)

I don’t believe they say anything different to clients. Even when it's glaringly obvious there is little chance of success.

For example:

Nurse sacked for occasionally offering to pray with patients was asked to stop after eight patients complained and didn't. One cancer sufferer claimed she told him he’d have a better chance of survival if he prayed.

Christian suspended for giving a Christian book to a Muslim college was disciplined for misusing her authority over a junior member of her staff and ignored warnings about the negative impact her spiritual life was having on her work.

Tubbs

(Fixed URL. Goddammit Tubbs...)

[ 13. September 2017, 11:58: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you. [Hot and Hormonal]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The large “Donate” button on every page of the website must be a coincidence then. Every page.

I don't think this disproves what I've said: namely that the funds they raise are relatively small, their costs are limited and they're not a wealthy organisation with palatal offices. The purpose of taking on cases is not to raise funds - and they make limited efforts to raise money.

quote:
You’re right, this is a crusade. If they win a case, it proves that Christians’ are being persecuted. If they don’t, it’s because the law is unfair and discriminatory. They totally have an agenda.
Right, but as I was making the case above, the agenda is not about anything other than signalling to a particular constituency.

Winning or losing is less relevant that being seen in the national media standing up for biblical values.

quote:
But I think you're wrong about the potential impression they give clients.

All the accounts of cases suggest that the client is completely blameless. Just innocently going about their Christian business. Inconvenient facts are glossed over. Such as the claimant ignoring requests to stop the behaviour after complaints from other staff / clients.

Everything suggests that the cases have a reasonable chance of success. (Just donate so they can fight on!)

I don’t believe they say anything different to clients. Even when it's glaringly obvious there is little chance of success.

OK, well that's not the impression I get. But you're going to have to read between the lines to get to what I think because I'm not prepared to spell it out here.

--------------------
arse

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Maybe the real reason the boy was upset was because he wanted to wear a dress too. [Devil]

Huia

I wouldn't be surprised. Many's the time I've strolled through Marks', envious of the clothing choices women have. Men's clothes are so dull, and...

... and I'm saying this in public, aren't I? [Hot and Hormonal]

Hey, I'm as straight as a Roman Road but totally agree.
Blimey, what are you two like. The two biggest complaints I hear from women are a) high heels and b) inadequate pockets. If I had to dress like that I'd start thinking that Valerie Solanas was onto something.

And I speak as a man who begins wedding rehearsals with the line - you're a modern woman and I am an Anglo-Catholic clergyman so I can say with confidence that I have more experience of wearing a long white dress than you do.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half a million quid a year. Make of that what you will.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Interesting definition of small ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Interesting definition of small ... [Big Grin]
That's quite impressive. They see more money than my Grade 1 listed church does which has had the roof fixed at the governments expense and added an extension in the last couple of years and by several orders of magnitude to the PTA, whose accounts I am currently trying to sort out. I bet they are not in the same league as, say, the RSPCA or the British Legion, but half a million is a tidy sum of money for bringing frivolous lawsuits against the government.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Often RSV ime.

I'm not sure anybody over here still uses the RSV. Maybe the United Methodists.

Spotted last week in the pews of our Lutheran congregation.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the stupidity of such people that amazes me. The father said that trans kids weren't bullied or rejected, which of course, is what he is doing. They said that other parents should be consulted - why? They said that boys wearing skirts is not Biblical - really? So kilts are from Satan?

Why is there so much stupidity in the world? Has Satan poisoned them?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Logical, joined-up thinking is not to be expected from 'we-as-Christians' types, IME.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
They said that boys wearing skirts is not Biblical - really?

Jesus always seems to wear a skirt as here

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
quote:
They said that boys wearing skirts is not Biblical - really?

Jesus always seems to wear a skirt as here
(this link auto-plays god-awful Christian music from the off - my ears are bleeding, so yours don't have to - DT HH)

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy Crap. That is really, really bad. [Projectile]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From that bl**dy link:

'The friendliest little place on the
web for Christian Music, Worship CD's and Instrumentals. We make it easy to enjoy our Praise Music, just Click and Listen!'

DO NOT DO IT!

You. Have. Been. Warned.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's the stupidity of such people that amazes me. The father said that trans kids weren't bullied or rejected, which of course, is what he is doing. They said that other parents should be consulted - why? They said that boys wearing skirts is not Biblical - really? So kilts are from Satan?

Why is there so much stupidity in the world? Has Satan poisoned them?

My father always said to be wary of men wearing skirts - they played the bagpipes. Hard to disagree with that.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Holy Crap. That is really, really bad. [Projectile]

Really sorry - I had my computer on mute and didn't realise!

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:
quote:
Often RSV ime.

Go to.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mr cheesy--

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
This isn't entirely related, but this weeks episode of This American Life gave a thoughtful angle on a difficult issue. It's about a programme where a group of black students were recruited and placed in white majority schools with the deliberate intention to challenge racist attitudes.

Another one that deals with some similar issues is "550: Three Miles".

quote:
There’s a program that brings together kids from two schools. One school is public and in the country’s poorest congressional district. The other is private and costs $43,000/year. They are three miles apart. The hope is that kids connect, but some of the public school kids just can’t get over the divide. We hear what happens when you get to see the other side and it looks a lot better.
It's been a couple of years since I heard it. But IIRC some of it is wrenching. The African-American kids had a rough time. But it's a really good episode.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:
quote:
Often RSV ime.

Go to.
Er...? (Not quite sure what you meant there...)

In any case, I was not quite correct - they use the New Revised Standard Version.

[ 18. September 2017, 15:01: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously there are no Muslim boys at the school as they can wear BOTH concurrently!!!!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and I was a teenager, we regularly cross- dressed in school for things like Spirit Week -- the male athletes would come to school in drag, somewhere between Mismatched Sock Day and School Colors Day. I'm sure that kind of thing could never happen now without some triggered Christians losing their minds.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or possibly fluidly gendered people who might see it as cultural appropriation.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016