homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » NEW SHIP NOW OPEN (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: NEW SHIP NOW OPEN
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The new Ship of Fools forums are now open. Please follow this link:

https://forums.shipoffools.com

Everyone will need to register to join the new forums. Your old login on these boards will not work in the new place. Here's how to register in four easy steps:

1. Register button – On the new forums homepage, click the 'Register' button on the right, which goes to the Register page.

2. Register page – On the Register page, there are several fields to fill in, including:

Email: use a working email address.

Username: you only have one shot at this, because once you've entered your Username, it can't be changed. So choose wisely and check you've entered it correctly. There's a maximum of 20 characters.

Password: you'll be asked for a password which has at least 15 characters.

3. Confirmation email – Once you've completed the form, click the 'Register' button. An email will be sent to your email address asking you to confirm your registration. Please click the 'Confirm' link in the email.

4. Approval email – Once we receive your email confirmation, an Admin will approve your registration. You'll then receive a second email inviting you to sign in.

That's it.

You might find it helpful to look at these three FAQs pages, which explain registration and login, your forum identity and how to post messages.

From 5pm UK time today, we'll be closing the old boards here and setting them to read-only. The Styx alone will remain open. Please post on this thread any problems you have with registration.

Thanks, welcome to the new Ship of Fools, and farewell to our old online home, which has served us so well since 2001. My grateful thanks to every shipmate who has helped make this happen.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<crashes bottle of champagne on the bows>

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off we go! Bracing for the gangplank.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm losing the comma in my name. No one get thrown off...

[Biased]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mind how you go...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was painless!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed!

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eutychus - last 0ne to post on the old Ship (apart from here, of course ) [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I swear it wasn't intentional. I obviously saw the timestamp after posting [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Registered and awaiting approval.
Thank you very much, looking forward to exploring.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in!
Say goodbye to OtG and hello to Rufus T Firefly!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was simple - even for a non-techy Luddite like me [Big Grin]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know if anyone's reading this, but I'm in on the new ship and am Mr Smiff over there.

'Tis very nice and shiny and clean - well done and thank you to all who made it happen! [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A fifteen-character password? That’s ridiculous.
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know if I have clicked on the right thing for the 'security check'.
I have clicked on 'register' a couple of times, but nothing has happened.
I tried clicking in the Female' box but nothing showed up.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

The security check is a visual reference. Could that be the issue?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FYI, I got onto the new site earlier, but now my local network is blocking it. I’m getting a message that the site's certificate isn’t valid and that "attackers" may be trying to steal personal information.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

The security check is a visual reference. Could that be the issue?
What does that mean? With the magnification high, I could see the letters of 'I am not a robot' but no picture.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Also I couldn't see what to do with 'I accept terms and conditions' which seemed to have a link which needed to be clicked on, but when I did, a panel came up which I couldn't get rid of.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm now Priscilla, which was my original first choice of ship name. It wouldn't accept St. Gwladys, unfortunately

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

By the way, I couldn't ask my friend next door to lend a hand, as she has yet another chest infection and must not set foot outside her door in this icy wind. (No snow yet here.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lept, somewhat ungainly, aboard [Smile]

[ 28. February 2018, 18:28: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

- Posted      Profile for magicroundabout   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
FYI, I got onto the new site earlier, but now my local network is blocking it. I’m getting a message that the site's certificate isn’t valid and that "attackers" may be trying to steal personal information.

Hi Nick,

Can I ask what web browser you are using? We've upped the security on the site, which is a good thing for everybody. But the certificate should be valid.

I'll need a bit more detail to check this out.

Thanks

Posts: 28 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very stupidly I hadn't realised that the user name was the board profile name and not just for signing in.

Looking for a safe secure sign in I have ended up with the random name glover - I don't recognise myself

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
By the way, I couldn't ask my friend next door to lend a hand, as she has yet another chest infection and must not set foot outside her door in this icy wind. (No snow yet here.)

I'm going to try a back-door member registration, using the email address on your profile here. It should send you an email telling you something useful (I've not done it before, so I've no idea what'll happen!)

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by magicroundabout:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

Hi Nick,

Can I ask what web browser you are using? We've upped the security on the site, which is a good thing for everybody. But the certificate should be valid.

I'll need a bit more detail to check this out.

Thanks

Sure. I’ve tried on Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer, and it's blocked on all three. It seems to be the network firewall that’s blocking the new site. If I turn my phone's WiFi off, I can get to the new site without any problem, but when I’m on the network WiFi, I can't.

The strange thing is the network wasn’t blocking the new site at first; I got on and was able to register. But after an hour or so, I couldn’t get through anymore.

Thanks, and let me know if you need more info.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

- Posted      Profile for magicroundabout   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Also I couldn't see what to do with 'I accept terms and conditions' which seemed to have a link which needed to be clicked on, but when I did, a panel came up which I couldn't get rid of.

Yeah, I'm really sorry about this (I'm the developer who helped make the new forums). I'd not really seen the registration screen before today and I should have tested it better. I hope the rest of the forums are OK for you to navigate. I do have some accessibility improvements to make, but the zoom at least should work nicely. Be SURE to let me know if you have any other problems with it. We really don't want anyone left out.
magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

quote:

The strange thing is the network wasn’t blocking the new site at first; I got on and was able to register. But after an hour or so, I couldn’t get through anymore.

Would you be willing to tell me who your ISP is - i.e. who you get your broadband or internet connection from? I'll see if there's some kind of blacklisting happening.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why do I keep being asked to confirm my email? I have clicked on that about six times.
Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only reason I've ever seen for getting that repeated message is that the software thinks your email address is in some way not valid. In my case, that's happened a few times because of an inadvertent typo.

But I doubt that's the reason in your case. Have you got a back up email address you can use? (I've got two).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trying to board, did my registration etc, got an approval but seem caught at the confirmatory email stage - I received a box on the screen asking me to confirm my email address, I clicked the button but 90 minutes later there's still to be the promised email back. Probably a busy period, and given time zones etc there's a bit of a hold-up.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another one getting the repeated email request here.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by magicroundabout:
Would you be willing to tell me who your ISP is - i.e. who you get your broadband or internet connection from? I'll see if there's some kind of blacklisting happening.

In this particular case it’s not my network—it’s an office network, so I don’t have that info.

--------------------

magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

Can I just check, you're doing the registration, and seeing the Thanks You screen, and you have the pop-up that says "You need to confirm your email address" but you've got no email. Is that right?

Can I ask if you have a spam email box (most online email services like Outlook/Hotmail, Yahoo Mail and GMail have this. And if so, have you checked in there? Sometimes automated emails like this get classed as spam.

If you are getting the email and clicking the link and it's the link in the email that's not working let me know as that's a different problem.

Sorry for the difficulties. We'll do all we can to get you in.

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I attempted to register, got the confirmation email, clicked the link but now am getting permission denied when I try to log in

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Solved it myself - needed to wait to be approved. Sorry, and thank you

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

<bump>

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a delay because an admin will need to approve each registration. We've been trying our best to keep that delay as short as possible.

I can confirm that everyone who has posted problems with the "confirm email" page has been approved. Can you please try again, if just to confirm it's not just that there was an approval delay causing the problem. Let us know if it works, as well as if it doesn't.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got in.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
Very stupidly I hadn't realised that the user name was the board profile name and not just for signing in.

That wasn't stupid at all. For years we've been accustomed to them being two separate things and there's nothing in the registration on the new forum that explicitly indicates that they are now one and the same.

I only happened to notice that there was no way to choose a separate display name and guessed that they must have been merged into one, but it would be useful, I think, to make that clear.

I now use my Christian name, which is Cyprian, after the sainted bishop of Carthage.

[ 28. February 2018, 22:10: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whoops - I thought I was on the new ship only to find myself on the old. What did I do?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Whoops - I thought I was on the new ship only to find myself on the old. What did I do?

Either you used the "forum" URL instead of the new "forumS", or you used the community link from the home page which still points here. For now.

https://forums.shipoffools.com/

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Why do I keep being asked to confirm my email? I have clicked on that about six times.

Same thing happened to me. I ignored it.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Yeah, I ran into that, too. It's actually a copy of the Ship's 10 Commandments. (Cute that it's the Terms Of Service.)

The only way I could find to get rid of that was the Escape key. The panel had no other way of closing.

Glitch, I think...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still no further down the track - I have yet to receive the confirmation email promised?????

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Either a) check your spam folder or b) wait for an admin to wake up.

(Or c) recall whether you put the correct email address in your registration...)

[ETA you are showing up as registered on the new boards]

[ 01. March 2018, 05:36: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cheers, Alan and magicroundabout, the return email was nestling in the spam folder.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

I'm going to try a back-door member registration, using the email address on your profile here. It should send you an email telling you something useful (I've not done it before, so I've no idea what'll happen!)
Thank you very much. I have received an e-mail with the info in it and several other e-mails with notifications of private messages. I will settle down to work it all out this afternoon. The computer-generated password has only about 6 characters so that was slightly puzzling, but I'll see how it works.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016