homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » The modern Lord's Prayer (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The modern Lord's Prayer
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Each to his or her own, but I don't think Mr Cotter's version will be supplanting Cranmer in my own prayers any time soon.
Apart from else, it's terribly wordy, isn't it?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Each to his or her own, but I don't think Mr Cotter's version will be supplanting Cranmer in my own prayers any time soon.
Apart from else, it's terribly wordy, isn't it?

That may be true, but it is appropriate to its context, the meditative office of Compline.

I found it relatively easy to memorise, simply as a result of using the office more or less every day, but it is definitely a meditation on the prayer as well as a translation of it.

Still my favourite version, and still a modern version, which is why I offered it.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
This is my favourite version, and the one I use whenever invited to use the Lord's Prayer in my preferred version or language. It was actually originally written by Jim Cotter, whose Prayer at Night was incorporated into the NZ Anglican Prayer Book (apologies for the omission of the Maori) entirely by agreement, but which incorporation obscured its origins. The version of its trinitarian formula I know is "Life-giver, pain-bearer, love-maker".

I have to admit that I'm really not comfortable with that. It's quite nice as a meditation inspired by the Lord's Prayer, but as an approved version for liturgical use, no. It's moved on from being an attempt to translate the original to what the person who put it together wish it said. It can't even be defended by the need to make compromises to fit it to metre, because it isn't in metre.

I know people vary in how much importance they attach to this, but to me, fidelity to the original text really matters.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Enoch said.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RdrEmCofE:
Jesus spent extended periods in prayer, many hours, according to the evidence in scripture. He did not just keep reciting this 'formula' in 'vain repetition'. His own advice was to avoid that mistake. Matt. 6:7.

Ttat’s a mischaracterization of his advice, though. He was not counseling against fixed formulae or texts for prayers; such prayers were a staple of the Judaism he observed. He advised the disciples to avoid saying the same thing over and over “as the Gentiles do.” In other words, get to the point; be direct. Don’t think your prayers stand a better chance of being heard if you keep repeating yourself, or if you “pile it on.” Talk to God like you would talk to your father (or mother), not like you would talk to a king you’re trying to flatter so he’ll look kindly on your request.

I agree that Jesus was providing a model for prayer. But that’s not inconsistent with it being used as a prayer itself. Indeed, one way we internalize the model is to to pray the model. That’s how it shapes us.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
AFAIK rhyme was not a feature of prayer or teaching in Jesus’ day. The prayer certainly is poetic in form (in the same way as the Psalms), and fortunately it, parallelism, is a form which is capable of surviving translation.

(Was rhyme a thing in the ancient world at all?)

For more on the poetic structure of the Lord's Prayer you might like to look at this. Here is the 'minimlist version' of Michael Martin which Ian Paul quotes:
quote:

Our Father in the heavens,
hallowed be your name,
come be your reign,
done be your aim,
as in heaven, so to on earth.

Give us this day
our bread for the coming day,
and forgive us our debts,
as we forgive our debtors,
and see us not into trial,
but free us from Evil.

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a bit of a red herring, consider this: I'm saying compline at 10 in the evening -- how is a petition to "give us today our daily bread" anything other than a piece of meaningless ritual?

Personally, I use "give us each day...".

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the contributions. To clarify, by the traditional version I mean:
quote:
Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.
(as in the BCP)

or this:
quote:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.
very slightly modified version of BCP)

And by the modern:
quote:

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours
now and for ever.
Amen.

I prefer either trad version for all sorts of personal reasons, but I feel it is best for evangelism because it is well known and familiar. For many people, entering church at all is a brave step, and the whole experience is confusing (and therefore embarrassing). To have something around that they know (and schools, cubs, brownies etc. all seem to have stuck with the older form) is reassuring. When something you think you can finally relax with turns out to be strange as well, that further underlines the message that you're a stranger and not welcome here.

[Related tangent. When I was a curate, in the 80s, I had a vicar who wanted everything to be modern and relevant. Therefore, every Harvest, we sang, "We plough the fields with tractors". Many times I saw visitors smile when the familiar tune was played, and then looks of horror came over their faces with the fifth and sixth words.]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way back when, I remember there was a competition on the Ship to come up with a modern version of the Lord's Prayer. Not sure if anyone kept copies of the entries, some of them were rather good I recall.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Thanks for all the contributions. To clarify, by the traditional version I mean:
quote:
Our Father, which art in heaven, . . . (as in the BCP)

or this:
quote:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.
very slightly modified version of BCP)

I know I’m being pedantic, but that would be “as in the English BCP,” or a slightly modified version of the English BCP. What you call the “slightly modified version of BCP” has been the American BCP form since at least 1928. (The 1979 BCP gives that form as the “traditional languate” form, but also gives the contemporary language option.). Which highlights that what the “traditional” form is depends on the tradition we’re talking about. [Biased]

The evangelism angle will vary too. In the States, no one will have learned the Lord’s Prayer at school (unless they go to a private religious or parochial school) or through a group like Scouts. It’s learned at church and/or at home, or it’s not learned.

[ 06. January 2018, 21:13: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread grows at an alarming pace, and it’s hard work trying to keep abreast ...
Some penniesworth:

1) Epiousion is not merely rare, but is I believe unknown outside this one instance, making it very difficult to interpret, as Jerome and the Fathers before him recognized.

2) Supersubstantial (Jerome’s first solution): I have never myself encountered this outside serious discussion contexts (this thread included!), and never in liturgical use.

Superessential is an attractive amendment to St Jerome’s term. In any case, I have always understood this term to refer to spiritual ’bread’ - rather like Jesus’ references to ’living water’. It does, frankly, seem a much more plausible translation of epiousion than ’daily’.

3) There are several alternative versions of the ’modern’ version of the Lord’s Prayer in use in different churches / countries / traditions.

Just as the meaning of epiousion is (seriously) unclear, so also there are ambiguities relating to eis peirasmon, conventionally translated as ’into temptation’ but arguably closer to ’to testing’, and apo tou pone:rou, which could equally well mean either ’from evil’ or ’from the Evil One’.

Perhaps the most striking variation is the C of E’s retention of ”Lead us not into temptation”, where many other churches use ”Save us from the time of trial”. I note that this is the phrase in the Prayer that Pope Francis commented on recently as problematic. Personally I far prefer ”Do not put us to the test”.

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Nick said, so in New Zealand.
As there is no religion in (State) schools, and most parents weren't even sent to Sunday school, I don't know how many kids would have heard the Lord's (or any) Prayer.

A pity; in the Linguistics for Kids I did for some years it would have been a useful comparison with an even older form.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I have been told that it is actually grammaticaly incorrect to say 'as we forgive those who sin against us' For that reason I always say 'as we forgive them'.

"Those who sin against us" is not grammatically incorrect.

In our (TEC) church we use the modern version, which I'm fine with, but we have a handful of die-hards (including Mrs. Eluia) who continue to say the old version. They have to hurry a bit through "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" in order to finish at the same time as the rest of the congregation.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Way back when, I remember there was a competition on the Ship to come up with a modern version of the Lord's Prayer. Not sure if anyone kept copies of the entries, some of them were rather good I recall.

Are you thinking of this?

Lord's Prayer in text message form

The most out-there version may be in the LOLCat Bible:

Ceiling Cat, who r watchin us, u can has cheezburger. Wut yu want, yu gets, srsly. Let us dis day has our dalee cheezburger. And furgiv us for makin u a cookie, but eateding it, same as we furgiv teh kittehz taht maked us cookiez, but eated tehm. An leed us not into teh showa, but deliver us from teh wawter. Cuz all our base n teh pwnage n teh +1s r belong 2 U 4eva&evah, srlsy kthxbai.

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Matthew_6

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nick Tamen:
quote:
I know I’m being pedantic, but that would be “as in the English BCP,” or a slightly modified version of the English BCP. What you call the “slightly modified version of BCP” has been the American BCP form since at least 1928.
My apologies; I am a Brit. I'm writing as a Brit and have no idea about the American situation. The Ship is good at challenging my parochialism.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Why? Do you perhaps revert to 1662 BCP if there are a lot of visitors?

(That's not a snarky question, BTW. The late +Michael Perham opined that, if the old rite i.e. 1662 had failed to 'grab' people, the newer Rite A - I'm going back a few years! - should be given a chance).

IYSWIM.

IJ

Pastoral, especially at funerals - it might be the only prayer they know throughout the whole service.

(Also weddings carol services)

We are the established church so nobody should feel like an 'outsider'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
This is my favourite version, and the one I use whenever invited to use the Lord's Prayer in my preferred version or language. It was actually originally written by Jim Cotter, whose Prayer at Night was incorporated into the NZ Anglican Prayer Book (apologies for the omission of the Maori) entirely by agreement, but which incorporation obscured its origins. The version of its trinitarian formula I know is "Life-giver, pain-bearer, love-maker".

Love-maker??!

Oy.

Sex as sacrament - with my body, I thee worship?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough Love-maker is probably fine, pain bearer has more theological problems. It is not a doctrine I feel that is an adequate witness to God's self revelation but I do know it exists.

Jengie

[ 07. January 2018, 18:40: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my neck of the woods (I’m in England ) the new version is only known inside churches

The traditional version is the one known by the ‘outsiders’ who learned it at school and who are in fact still learning it in school.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm out of touch, but do non-church primary schools in England still use the Lord's Prayer? I'm pretty sure the one my daughters attended in the 1990s didn't, and the secondary school where I taught in the 1970s didn't either.

The law about 'daily Christian act of worship' is honoured more in the breach than the observance. Not that I bewail the fact; I just think we should be honest about the fact that we are a secular (or post-christian if you like) society.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I'm out of touch, but do non-church primary schools in England still use the Lord's Prayer? I'm pretty sure the one my daughters attended in the 1990s didn't, and the secondary school where I taught in the 1970s didn't either.

The law about 'daily Christian act of worship' is honoured more in the breach than the observance. Not that I bewail the fact; I just think we should be honest about the fact that we are a secular (or post-christian if you like) society.

This. Our local Primary is CofE, and I see the religious stuff up on the walls, and I'm thinking "you don't really believe this stuff any more than the people down at the non-CofE primary in the next village, do you?". Perhaps it's unfair, perhaps some do, but save the previous headteacher I can recall seeing many of them at church; then again, you wouldn't see me either because I gave up trying to coral three bored children through a tedious hour and go Elsewhere.

OK, I'll shut up now.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angloid asked:
quote:
I'm out of touch, but do non-church primary schools in England still use the Lord's Prayer?
Depends on the school - more specifically, on the head teacher / principal / CEO. Locally where I currently am, the C of E primary uses the modern version and the County school uses the trad. The County school takes Christian festivals at least as seriously as the Anglican school does.

But neither of the local secondary schools can be said to engage in religious activity except sporadically. Collective Worship (= what used to be called Assembly, in my experience) seems to be predominantly universalist / humanist wellmeaningness.

--------------------

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
The URC modern form given in Rejoice and Sing is:
quote:

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed by your name,
your kingdom come
your will be done
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil
<snip>

This is the ELLC version.

(Those who mention it being the ICET version: this was true until 1985, but remember that the ICET hasn't existed for over 30 years.)

It is the version that I grew up with in the Anglican Province of the West Indies in the 90s, and which is still in use there today. Like mr cheesy, I default to modern language in prayer and worship. I can understand a desire on the part of some Anglicans to use older forms of English in public worship, as it is part of Anglican heritage, but the insistence of some Orthodox to do the same is a mystery to me.

The Church of England adopted the ELLC with the modification that "Save us from the time of trial" was changed to "Lead us not into temptation". I would be interested to learn why. "Save us..." avoids the problem mentioned by Gramps49, which seems to be reinforced by the CofE amendment.

I'm currently in the process of rendering the services of my church into English and the Our Father is proving to be complicated. I intend to use the ELLC version as a base but there are concerns to be addressed.

In particular, the document Praying Together gives different possible understandings of the line "give us today our daily bread", but makes no mention of the eucharistic connotations of epiousios (above the essence/substance/nature), which is of particular concern from an Orthodox perspective.

The French version used in our church is "Donne nous aujourd'hui notre pain substantiel", which is best rendered as "Give us today our substantial bread" but this seems wanting as it only conveys half of the meaning of the Greek of the Gospels. The sense of the Greek would be better rendered as "our supersubstantial bread" but that raises questions of whether such an invented word is "prayable". Though, as keibat mentioned above, the Greek word was itself a neologism, so perhaps supersubstantial or superessential might be apt after all. Supernatural is an existing English word that literally translates the Greek, (super + natural) but sadly this has other connotations in our language.

What do others think?

With regard to the discussion over "deliver us from evil" versus "deliver us from the evil one", my church already seems to have settled on the former for liturgical use in other languages, while recognising that either understanding can be extrapolated from the Greek and that both have their place in patristic writings and in the traditional understanding of Christians through the ages. So I shall stick with "deliver us from evil".

My bishop wrote an article some time ago on the Our Father, and one of his concerns with common French translations (which is mirrored in English translations, but seemingly in very few other languages), is the reversal of heaven and earth. In the Greek of the Gospels and in almost every other language into which the prayer has been translated, the realisation of God's Kingdom in heaven is mentioned first, establishing it as the measure against which the following mention of the establishment of God's Kingdom on earth is to be measured.

"On earth as it is in heaven" doesn't do a terrible job of conveying the meaning but it does seem to weaken it by reversing the structure given to us by the Saviour, so I have attempted to resolve this by placing heaven first.

As for sins/trespasses/debts the matter is settled for us and there's simply no question. Both established liturgical usage in our church and patristic writings make "debts/debtors" the only reasonable option for me.

With all of that in mind, here's what I've come up with so far:

quote:
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed by your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
as in heaven, so on earth.
Give us today our substantial bread.
and forgive us our debts
as we forgive our debtors.
and deliver us from evil.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally like it, and would pray it, but you'll forgive me if I accidentally say "the evil one" at the end as Antiochian parishes here do.

Old habits die hard.

What a task...translation. Best wishes. I've often thought I wouldn't mind doing it (especially when coming across the phrase, "Let the nature of disembodied minds..." in a hymn; better, see Ode 9 below), but it must be a very tough, and thankless, task. Expect some 110 yo babushka or male equivalent to take issue with your word selection. [Biased]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, I meant "hallowed be your name". [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I personally like it, and would pray it, but you'll forgive me if I accidentally say "the evil one" at the end as Antiochian parishes here do.

It's what I'm accustomed to as well. [Smile] In fact, for years I was under the impression that it was the correct rendering, and that the western churches didn't use it because their liturgical tradition has its basis in the Latin ("sed libera nos a malo"), which doesn't have the definite article.

While there's almost certainly truth in my reasoning, the underlying assumption was flawed.

quote:
Old habits die hard.
Don't they just!

Over this past weekend I have found myself standing out like a sore thumb as an ex-Byzantine because of some things I instinctively did, despite my efforts to unlearn them. On the other hand, there are some things I have always done almost alone which now I find every around me does, such as adopting the orans position for the Our Father and crossing myself at "deliver us from evil", which appear to be standard practice in our church but not where I used to be.

quote:
What a task...translation. Best wishes. I've often thought I wouldn't mind doing it (especially when coming across the phrase, "Let the nature of disembodied minds..." in a hymn; better, see Ode 9 below), but it must be a very tough, and thankless, task. Expect some 110 yo babushka or male equivalent to take issue with your word selection. [Biased]
Hehe. I'm sure. Still, our church doesn't really exist in the English-speaking world so I kind of have a blank slate. I have a reasonably good, Orthodox translation of the psalms from the LXX, and the Mass has already been translated. It's the office and associates prayers that are my focus. Much of the material already exists in some form of English so it's just a case of tidying it up, compiling it, translating what doesn't exist, and ironing out some problems with existing English texts. The biggest task is adapting all of the music from the French to the English.

All in time.

[ 09. January 2018, 02:59: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The traditional Welsh-language version refers to Debts rather than either Sins or Trespasses, and I'm fine with that, so much so that I generally use the Debt form when speaking the prayer in English.

I see that no-one's suggesting a literal translation of the first words in the Greek as Our Father in the sky...

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by andras:
The traditional Welsh-language version refers to Debts rather than either Sins or Trespasses, and I'm fine with that, so much so that I generally use the Debt form when speaking the prayer in English.

St Cyprian's treatise on this prayer expounds on the "debt" meaning well. As he's my patron saint, I have a certain fondness for his understanding of this.

quote:
I see that no-one's suggesting a literal translation of the first words in the Greek as Our Father in the sky...
The Jordanville translation renders it as:

quote:
Our Father Who art in the heavens

The word is translated in the same way in the Jordanville text of the Creed.

--------------------

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I personally like it, and would pray it...

After submission for episcopal review, some alterations have been made.

The bishop acknowledged that line 6 is very problematic to translate and that the solution in our French translation is inadequate, in that "notre pain substantiel/our substantial bread" only conveys half of the meaning.

"Our supersubstantial bread" (our bread above the essence) is a literal translation, which has its downsides. However, although it doesn't exist as a word in English, it does seem to be the most accurate way to render the Greek.

We considered that the Greek epiousios seems also to have been an unknown word when it was coined by the Gospel writers, and that we shouldn't be afraid to follow them in using a word that best expresses a specifically Christian doctrine, even if it is otherwise unknown in the language. After all, where else in life do people encounter Sabaoth, consubstantial, Paraclete, Theotokos, and numerous other words from Christian theological and liturgical jargon? Proper catechesis can remedy this, as familiarity with the theological concept of substance should result from any basic Orthodox catechesis about the Trinity and the Incarnation.

Regular use of these words in prayer makes them sound normal, as I discovered when the new English translation of the RC creed came out, and the Catholic blogosphere was up in arms about "consubstantial with the Father". I thought it unremarkable, but then realised that I had grown up since childhood singing hymns that ended "consubstantial, co-eternal, while unending ages run", and that maybe not everyone had this experience. My guess is that those people now say those words Sunday by Sunday without giving them a second thought.

Supernatural literally means the same thing as Supersubstantial and has the benefit of being an existing word in English. However, it already has connotations that would be unhelpful here, and might cloud rather than clarify the meaning.

As for "Save us from the time of trial", the bishop feels it departs too far from the received text and that of the Gospels. (Incidentally, the ELLC website suggests that this line was the most problematic in terms of the feedback they received from churches considering adopting the ELLC.)

The current rendering follows the French in use in our church in avoiding the suggestion that God would lead us into temptation.

The result is here.

[ 10. January 2018, 17:01: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------

AndyHB
Apprentice
# 18580

- Posted      Profile for AndyHB   Author's homepage   Email AndyHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
Reading between the lines, I get the impression that one is trying to recite the modern Lord's Prayer from memory - a bit like running before you can walk. The printed words should be proveded and for all I know, there may be more than one version.

I have the opposite problem to the initiator of the thread. Whilst I was brought up with the BCP version of the prayer, I was also brought up with a couple of 'modern' versions even before the ASB and other newer liturgies came into existence. I struggle with the idea that an exemplar prayer that originated in Aramaic, went through Greek and Latin before getting into English 400 years ago isn't regularly used in a modern language form.

--------------------
TWAM is always on the look-out for unwanted tools. Check-out website - www.twam.uk - for 'tools wanted' lists and collector contact details.

Posts: 17 | From: S.Wales | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
The Church of England adopted the ELLC with the modification that "Save us from the time of trial" was changed to "Lead us not into temptation". I would be interested to learn why.

To put it bluntly - General Synod of the C of E thought (and as far as I know, still thinks) that it knew better than any one else.

In the Companion to Common Worship, edited by Paul Bradshaw, you can find this comment:

quote:
"The ecumenically agreed version had not met with general acceptance in the Church of England in 1980 (when the ASB was produced) and the same was true in 2000."
This seems to suggest that an attempt was made to introduce the full ELLC text. But actually no such attempt was made - certainly not in the lead up to Common Worship in 2000. General Synod made the decision that the C of E would go their own way, regardless of what other denominations did and even regardless of what other Anglican provinces did. I thought it was a foolish and vain decision then and I still do.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, a serious attempt was made to get the ecumenically agreed version into Common Worship, but General Synod decided not to give it a place which would lead to it being normally used. It can be found on p. 106 in the Common Worship ‘Main Volume’, and can be found more or less obscurely buried on the website

[ 10. January 2018, 22:17: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

A short period of collective silence is more likely.
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In The Salvation Army I don't think you'd hear the new form.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else noticed that the traditional Lord's Prayer is truncated for Evensong? 'For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever' is omitted. Why is that?

[ 14. January 2018, 20:31: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, the Lord’s Prayer appears twice in each of the BCP Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Communion services - in each case once with and once without the concluding doxology.
Gottschalk
Shipmate
# 13175

- Posted      Profile for Gottschalk   Email Gottschalk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Has anyone else noticed that the traditional Lord's Prayer is truncated for Evensong? 'For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever' is omitted. Why is that?

That's how the Lord's Prayer appears in the old Breviaries and in the Roman variants of the Divine Office.

In the East, afaik, only the Priest/Bishop says the doxological ending, though it is still printed in prayer books, etc.

--------------------
Gottschalk
Ad bellum exit Ajax

Posts: 157 | From: The Kingdom of Fife | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may have mentioned this before ,once when visiting an old woman in a nursing home I found that she was unable to form words - all that came from her mouth was simply drivel All of a sudden when I said the Lord's Prayer it was as though her lips had been unsealed, as she was able to say the prayer perfectly. For 0 seconds I thought it must be a miracle, until I realized that she must have said it so many times throughout her life that it just came out automatically. Miracle or not ,it was a wonderful moment.
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's neurological -- the things you memorize are stored in a different brain file than extemporaneous speech. You might also have found that she could sing a familiar hymn or song perfectly well.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
John3000
Apprentice
# 18786

- Posted      Profile for John3000   Email John3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

On the live radio Nine Lessons and Carols from King's Cambridge this year the Dean leading the congregation in the Lord's Prayer proclaimed "for thine is the kingdom" while the congregation, paying attention to their service booklets, said "amen". Rather deftly he stopped there and moved on to the next prayer.
Posts: 29 | From: England | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This frequently happens in ecumenical gatherings with Roman Catholics. Does anyone know when protestants began to add the doxology, and why?
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And don't even mention the Church of Scotland, with its single "for ever"!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
I prefer

Save us from the time of trial and deliver us from evil (or the evil one).

Mainly because I do not think God ever intentionally tempts us. We do have trials most of our life but we can turn to God during those times for salvation, not in the sense of pulling us from the waters but in the sense of seeing us through those times.

But is that really what the original text states? The Greek text says, μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν (mē eisenégkēs hēmas eis perrasmón, ‘lead us not into temptation/testing’). That doesn’t translate as ‘do not tempt us.’ But it does state that God can lead someone into temptation or testing, and that is exactly what he dod with Christ, as we see in Matt. 4:1: “Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.” When we pray ‘lead us not into temptation/testing,’ we are asking God not do do with us what he did with Christ.

/Small rant/

I would also add that in 2005, the Norwegian Bible Society came out with a new translation of the Lord’s prayer. Many people in the church praised it, and thought that it would make almost everything better. As a priest I talk with a lot of parents who are coming for baptisms, and where I am that is almost everybody. The membership rate in my neck of the woods is 80-90 percent, and 93-95% of the children of members are baptised. So not only the ‘inner core.’ And we often talk about the new translation. I have yet to meet a single person who likes the new version. One factor here is that in my parishes, the written language is what we call ‘nynorsk’ (‘new norwegian’), as opposed to ‘bokmål’ (‘book language’), and it seems pretty obvious that the translators translated into the latter first, and then translated from that into the former. The result is a mess, where simple things like word order is just wrong. And they even managed to remove any trace of poetry and they made it into an elaborate office memo.

/Small rant over/

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gottschalk
Shipmate
# 13175

- Posted      Profile for Gottschalk   Email Gottschalk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
And don't even mention the Church of Scotland, with its single "for ever"!

Ha, never heard of that. Was it part of their traditions from Knox onward or is it a new thing?

--------------------
Gottschalk
Ad bellum exit Ajax

Posts: 157 | From: The Kingdom of Fife | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

The Church of Scotland traditional form of the Lord's Prayer exactly follows the text of Matthew 6.9-13 from the King James Translation of the Bible
quote:
Our Father which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm inclined to think that slight variations in the Lord's Prayer really don't matter as the intent and meaning of the prayer are the same. What does concern me when some visitors to church for wedding or funeral services are completely bamboozled when it comes to the Lord's Prayer as they obviously have never been exposed to it before - kids at school these days never hear the Lord's Prayer and their parents who never attend church are just as ignorant. Maybe printed copies should always be available rather than just expecting people to know what to say.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Readers in the Church of Scotland are advised to carry a copy of the Lord's Prayer with them whenever they go to lead worship. There is always the occasion when your mind goes blank. I really like to have a printed version in front of me simply so I know which version is expected (yes I am quite capable of deliberately doing my own thing if I want to).

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Maybe printed copies should always be available rather than just expecting people to know what to say.

I could point out that the BCP does contain a printed copy, so all we need is for visitors to be able to navigate it [Two face]

But really what I'll do is say that for services that are likely to attract a significant number of those who aren't so familiar with church, we do print everything. Baptisms, weddings, and some funerals get this treatment.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Readers in the Church of Scotland are advised to carry a copy of the Lord's Prayer with them whenever they go to lead worship. There is always the occasion when your mind goes blank. I really like to have a printed version in front of me simply so I know which version is expected (yes I am quite capable of deliberately doing my own thing if I want to).

Jengie

On one occasion I led worship and had dutifully written out the Lord's Prayer in full... which meant I confused everyone because I'd missed a line when typing it out. For every plan there is a numpty who manages to muck it up.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

This, he tells us, was the Scrumpmeister’s penultimate working version of the Lord’s Prayer :

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed by your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
as in heaven, so on earth.
Give us today our substantial bread.
and forgive us our debts
as we forgive our debtors.
and deliver us from evil.

I’m glad the typo in line 2 has been corrected, or an errant school of doctrine might have grown up around the theology of the Creator being sanctified through the agency of their own Name.

I have another quibble with modern versions, which is the replacement of 'IN earth as in heaven' by 'ON earth'. Paradoxically, 'on earth' makes more sense in a preCopernican understanding of the universe, where heaven is firmly located up there along with clouds etc. Surely we should now understand earth to refer here to the entire created universe, not just our little planet Sol III; and to my mind, 'IN earth' expresses that better. So I persist in saying 'in', not 'on'.

I’m also bothered by what seems to me to be the implication in 'the time of trial' that this is (specifically) about the End Times. Conceded, 'peirasmos' can indeed refer to that; but the Greek word doesn’t seem to have a necessarily temporal reference. 'Testing' seems a closer approximation to the meaning-cluster of the Greek, and retains relevance for our current troubled existences.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I wonder if using 'sustaining' rather than substantial?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016