homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Please remind me why the taxpayers should stump up your rent (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Please remind me why the taxpayers should stump up your rent
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
This has been done before on here, but I'm still none the wiser. If the council owns a house (rather than a private landlord) and Mr Jones has been living in the house for the last 30 years, how does that affect Mr Smith's ability to find a place to live or the rent he has to pay?

A friend in council housing wants to move area. To do so, she has to find someone in another area to swap with. Our area is undesirable so few people want to move here. Those who do generally want something better than they already have, which means she will have to downsize. She is already in a 2 bed house with 2 children. Downsizing is not really an option. So she can't move to another area unless she goes into the private rental market. This would cost her a significant amount more. So she isn't moving.

It isn't a simple thing to do.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ianjmatt:
I was simply trying to suggest a way of incentivising landlords to keep rents low, by providing a tax break to keep rents at a certain level.

Ah yes, seen this one before. Incentivise the poor by paying them less, incentivise the rich by taxing them less. Different stimuli for the same response. Thus demonstrating that they really are different species. Or something. Really, there's nothing new under the sun... did anyone say 'entitlement mentality'?

[ 26. April 2012, 08:23: Message edited by: anoesis ]

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I don't think Stoker has any right to have the rent paid for an eight-bedroomed palace in stockbroker belt either, but it makes sense to pay that rather than expect him to move at his own expense to accomodation more befitting his reduced circumstances, as these may be temporary. It's a utilitarian thing, for the most part.

So if one of these rich bankers whom all the lefties so despise should finally get his comeuppance and be left without job or income, you think the government should step in to pay the rent on his massive house?

Yeah, I can see that going down well. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
But must the taxpayer pay for Stoker to live in such expensive accommodation? Putting another way, what right has Stoker to insist on living somewhere at the taxpayer's expense that's too expensive for the taxpayer to live?

Now and again (and again) we are inclined to forget that taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed!

I don't think Stoker has any right to have the rent paid for an eight-bedroomed palace in stockbroker belt either, but it makes sense to pay that rather than expect him to move at his own expense to accomodation more befitting his reduced circumstances, as these may be temporary. It's a utilitarian thing, for the most part.

Yep, no problem with that being on a temporary basis eg: 6-12 months, but not when it becomes semi-permanent. The rest of us have to downsize effectively (either smaller house or cheaper area) when our financial circumstances change so I'm not sure why this particular group thinks they have a God-given right to be exempt from that. I have several clients on my books who are having to do just that, either because one in a couple has lost his or her job or because they've had to accept a pay cut etc.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
But must the taxpayer pay for Stoker to live in such expensive accommodation? Putting another way, what right has Stoker to insist on living somewhere at the taxpayer's expense that's too expensive for the taxpayer to live?

Depends how many kids he has, where his friends and other family are.
Why should where friends and other family are make a difference?

quote:
Before this dreadful government, it was already the case that NEW claims only paid enough rent to suit the person e.g. if a single person claimed fort a 2 bedroomed flat, s/he only got the price of one-bedroomed flat and was expected to move or pay extra.
Good as far as it goes, but still doesn't justify living in a pricey area.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:
... No-one has the 'right' to live in the same area all their lives - we all have to go where the work is, where the housing is that we can afford (or, if we are asking taxpayers to pay for our housing, where the taxpayer can afford), etc. If either or both ain't there, then we can't afford to live there. I don't see why one group of us should be exempt from that basic fact at the -literal - expense of the rest of us.

The problem my town has is that the work is where no one can afford to live, result being a labour shortage. Because of inaction at every other level of government, the city has stepped in to support more affordable housing for people that they want to stay in the city: paramedics, nurses, firefighters, police, city engineering employees, etc. Lots of small service businesses have a hard time finding staff - no one is going to commute 2 hours each way for a 4 hour shift. So if the taxpayers want functional cities and economies, they'll want to make sure there is a range of housing available for every level of income and employment and type of household. OliviaG
Businesses will typically in such situations relocate to where labour is cheaper; one of the factors driving their labour costs down is cheaper housing. Add to that the fact that there is quite a bit of social housing building going on - certainly round my way which is fairly expensive in terms of housing, and is one of the few things, together with the sort of clients referred to above, that is keeping my ailing conveyancing practice going - and these things tend to even out relatively quickly.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Before this dreadful government, it was already the case that NEW claims only paid enough rent to suit the person e.g. if a single person claimed fort a 2 bedroomed flat, s/he only got the price of one-bedroomed flat and was expected to move or pay extra.

Let me get this straight.

If someone who has never worked or contributed to society is living in a 3-bed house, they should have the absolute right to stay there regardless of the cost because that's where their family and friends are.

But if someone in the same house has worked all their life and falls on hard times, they have to sell up and move to a one-bed flat regardless of whether their family and friends live nearby or not?

You can understand why people get resentful when they see that government will give thousands of pounds of support to people who've never given anything back, but if they fall on hard times they'll be stripped of everything they have and left in a scummy bedsit.

If we can't afford to live near our family and friends we just have to bite the bullet and move to somewhere we can afford. We don't get any help to enable us to live where we like. Where's the fairness in that?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Exactly.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Tina:
c) is generally paid to landlords, not into the 'scrounger's' hands.

This is completely irrelevant, because a significant proportion of most working people's income goes directly to their landlord/mortgage provider as well. But if any of us started claiming that only the part of our salaries that doesn't go on rent/mortgage payments should be considered as income we'd be told where to stick it.

Personally, I'd love to only be taxed on that part of my income that I have after my mortgage payment goes out. It'd save me a fortune.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Businesses will typically in such situations relocate to where labour is cheaper; one of the factors driving their labour costs down is cheaper housing. Add to that the fact that there is quite a bit of social housing building going on - certainly round my way which is fairly expensive in terms of housing, and is one of the few things, together with the sort of clients referred to above, that is keeping my ailing conveyancing practice going - and these things tend to even out relatively quickly.

Money isn't easy for anyone but, provided it is a going concern, a business can make a better case for the finance to relocate more easily than an unemployed person can, whether they are in rented acccomodation or attempting to pay a mortgage. The business remember is there before and will be in a better position afterwards. By moving from a high-cost area will an unemployed person be moving away from work? Moving can also affect one's entitlement to JSA and other benefits.

eta: where has stoker gone? One angry post and he's gone.

[ 26. April 2012, 10:40: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Point taken to an extent.

[Slight tangent] I'm always both amused and annoyed about the sort of comments I hear at the school gate when I do the school run from mums complaining about the development going up near to the school which contains - quelle horreure! - quite a bit of social housing/ shared ownership properties, the presumption being that all these properties will be inhabited by feral burberry-clad chavs breeding like rabbits and causing their precious little ones to turn to drink, drugs and prostitution. Having acted for a large number of purchasers of these properties, I can count two teachers, a nurse, a newly-qualified electrician, an architectural technician, and other professionals among their number, scarcely would-be corrupters of the young; I point out to said mums that maybe one or two of these owners may up teaching their precious charges, or they might fix a wiring fault in their house, etc, and perhaps they would prefer that their children didn't have teachers who lived locally etc, and watch their faces.... [Devil] [/tangent]

--------------------

ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:
I was simply trying to suggest a way of incentivising landlords to keep rents low, by providing a tax break to keep rents at a certain level.

Ah yes, seen this one before. Incentivise the poor by paying them less, incentivise the rich by taxing them less. Different stimuli for the same response. Thus demonstrating that they really are different species. Or something. Really, there's nothing new under the sun... did anyone say 'entitlement mentality'?
Bullshit.

The government as limited powers when dealing with private business transaction (and rightly so). Taxation is one of them. We ask people to act in a certain way by offering them an incentive, in exactly the same way we tax more efficient cars less. Makes perfect sense

--------------------
You might want to visit my blog:
http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

Posts: 676 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Let me get this straight.

If someone who has never worked or contributed to society is living in a 3-bed house, they should have the absolute right to stay there regardless of the cost because that's where their family and friends are.

But if someone in the same house has worked all their life and falls on hard times, they have to sell up and move to a one-bed flat regardless of whether their family and friends live nearby or not?

You can understand why people get resentful when they see that government will give thousands of pounds of support to people who've never given anything back, but if they fall on hard times they'll be stripped of everything they have and left in a scummy bedsit.

If we can't afford to live near our family and friends we just have to bite the bullet and move to somewhere we can afford. We don't get any help to enable us to live where we like. Where's the fairness in that?

Oh, put like that, I agree with you.

If the rules were applied retrospectively, everyone would be on an equal footing. But we don't pass laws retrospectively in this country because to do so is seen as 'unfair'. In this case it seems fair to me.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Sorry, being a bit dense here (long day) but can you clarify what you just said please?

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a fundamental problem with this whole discussion. It is customary for the two groups - those who pay their own rent/mortgage and those who get assistance - to be depicted as stable and opposed groups. It is possible to pass, suddenly and without notice or consultation, from one to the other. The process can be very sudden and very painful. Well, that's how it s from paying your own to getting help. Mostly equally painful but infinitely slower going the other way.

I'd rather pay for the help than experience the need for it.

Unhellish, I know, but there we are.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ianjmatt

Well if you get your wish and they all move out I suggest you keep spare buckets of water around the house in case of fire because no one else is going to be close by to put it out.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoker
Shipmate
# 11939

- Posted      Profile for Stoker   Email Stoker       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Now and again (and again) we are inclined to forget that taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed!

What's behind my angst is the expectation that a lot of people have and not just about housing. The culture is one of a demand that the state will provide and taking offence when it is pointed out that in fact maybe the state shouldn't provide as much as you think. If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs.

Who said the taxation system doesn't exist for the benefit of the taxpayers? What a pious load of crap! Of course it does - armed forces, police, healthcare, council services, infrastructure, roads even government are all provided by taxes. Taxation exists to benefit and run the country.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's behind your angst is the whole idea of other people. Maybe you can handle redundancy, but others can't. Maybe if it does strike, you'll find that you can't either.

btw, 'Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed' was conjured up by Robert Heinlein. Sometimes it's necessary to be more than superficial when you read something.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Course everyone pays tax, including the unemployed and homeless - for some reason whenever people start bandying around the term taxpayer, they always mean income tax payer.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
Course everyone pays tax, including the unemployed and homeless - for some reason whenever people start bandying around the term taxpayer, they always mean income tax payer.

But some people will be net recipients and others net contributors - that is, I think, what people mean by this shorthand.

--------------------

But maybe not

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed - but I'd be interested in knowing whether as many people are net contributors as they think they are. The state provides you with education (cheap cos of ecoomics of scale and lAck of profit margine) mat pay, sick pay, pension- health care also on the same basis as education.

I wonder what it is worth (if you paid yourself) vs your tax contribution.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoker:
What's behind my angst is the expectation that a lot of people have and not just about housing. The culture is one of a demand that the state will provide and taking offence when it is pointed out that in fact maybe the state shouldn't provide as much as you think. If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs.

I'm assuming you're single and if you were redundant would be able to move in with family or friends. If you had no alternative accommodation you wouldn't get much in the way of support anyway - something in the region of £65 a week unemployment benefit plus a fixed amount of housing benefit to pay for one-bedroomed accommodation. If you were below a certain age - it used to be 26 but it's over 30 now, you'd get housing benefit for a bedsit in a shared house. If you'd rather sleep on the streets that would be your choice.

It's a completely different situation for people with children. If parents haven't the means to support their children what are they supposed to do? Abandon their children? Seriously, what do you think should happen to children whose parents haven't the means to pay for adequate housing?

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bringing back rent controls which That Woman did away with, would solve much of the problem. The buy to rent market would collapse and those dwellings would be sold at a reasonable price and greedy landlords would cease making their obscene profits.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
quote:
Originally posted by Stoker:

I'm assuming you're single and if you were redundant would be able to move in with family or friends. If you had no alternative accommodation you wouldn't get much in the way of support anyway - something in the region of £65 a week unemployment benefit plus a fixed amount of housing benefit to pay for one-bedroomed accommodation. If you were below a certain age - it used to be 26 but it's over 30 now, you'd get housing benefit for a bedsit in a shared house. If you'd rather sleep on the streets that would be your choice.

It's a completely different situation for people with children. If parents haven't the means to support their children what are they supposed to do? Abandon their children? Seriously, what do you think should happen to children whose parents haven't the means to pay for adequate housing?

As a parent with three children who has been made redundant and relied on housing benefit I'll tell you what you do. Move to a cheaper area if you cannot find work to pay for your house after the 9 month 'grace period'. That is surely enough time to decide if you can afford to stay in an area, or move if you cannot. It is difficult, but people move to take new jobs all the time.

--------------------

But maybe not

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As a parent with three children who has been made redundant and relied on housing benefit I'll tell you what you do. Move to a cheaper area if you cannot find work to pay for your house after the 9 month 'grace period'. That is surely enough time to decide if you can afford to stay in an area, or move if you cannot. It is difficult, but people move to take new jobs all the time.

So you rely on housing benefit. And if you can't find a job even after moving you still rely on housing benefit. Or, more to the point, your children rely on it.
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

quote:
quote:

So you rely on housing benefit. And if you can't find a job even after moving you still rely on housing benefit. Or, more to the point, your children rely on it.
Yes - at a level that is appropriate.

--------------------

But maybe not

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What level do you deem to be appropriate?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
quote:

Yes - at a level that is appropriate.
The number of children in a family, their ages and sex will determine how many bedrooms are needed and the cost of providing enough bedrooms will determine an appropriate level for housing benefit.

Stoker is objecting to anyone at all having their rent paid. I'm interested to know how he thinks children would live within the kind of system he advocates.

Children have to be provided for whether or not their adults are earning enough to support them.

[ 01. May 2012, 07:52: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
The number of children in a family, their ages and sex will determine how many bedrooms are needed and the cost of providing enough bedrooms will determine an appropriate level for housing benefit.

There's another fact that determines how much a house costs (and thus the level of housing benefit) - location. The key part of ianjmatt's post was "Move to a cheaper area if you cannot find work to pay for your house after the 9 month 'grace period'."

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Precisely. Same as everyone else has to. Plus, if there are better job opportunities elsewhere, you also go where the work is.

The basic point is one of fairness: a cap of £26000pa grossed up amounts to a figure of approx £35000. That has been my earnings for the last two plus years. There is therefore no way in a million years that I could afford housing costs of £26000pa, so - der! - I don't live somewhere where my housing costs are that high. For the record, I have wife and three children, so relocation would not be as easy as it would if I was on my own, but it can still be done. I don't see a jot and tittle of fairness why money should be taken from me to pay for someone to live somewhere where I can't afford to live myself.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

There's another fact that determines how much a house costs (and thus the level of housing benefit) - location. The key part of ianjmatt's post was "Move to a cheaper area if you cannot find work to pay for your house after the 9 month 'grace period'."
'Cheaper' is still relative. A large family in a cheaper area may still need a level of housing benefit higher than an average mortgage payment for that area.

Adequate social housing is what's needed. It's only because of the shortage of social housing that private landlords have come back on the scene. Unlike earlier times however there is no security of tenure, no system of rent control and very little monitoring to ensure basic safety.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
'Cheaper' is still relative. A large family in a cheaper area may still need a level of housing benefit higher than an average mortgage payment for that area.

That's not the point. The point is that it's the cheapest available suitable housing.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

It might not be your point but it is Stoker's point.

quote:
If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs.
Stoker favours a system where if he had a wife and three children and was made redundant there would be no benefit available to house his family.
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Well, don't assume that we all have the same view as Stoker.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Precisely. Same as everyone else has to. Plus, if there are better job opportunities elsewhere, you also go where the work is.

The basic point is one of fairness: a cap of £26000pa grossed up amounts to a figure of approx £35000. That has been my earnings for the last two plus years. There is therefore no way in a million years that I could afford housing costs of £26000pa, so - der! - I don't live somewhere where my housing costs are that high. For the record, I have wife and three children, so relocation would not be as easy as it would if I was on my own, but it can still be done. I don't see a jot and tittle of fairness why money should be taken from me to pay for someone to live somewhere where I can't afford to live myself.

I don't know what difference it makes, but on the info you've given here about your family and income, from a quick and dirty calculation, if you were renting you would actually be entitled to Housing Benefit of up to about £90 a week, depending on whereabouts in Hampshire you live.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Well, I guess that's nice to know, but I still think it would be unfair on the rest of you to have to stump up for us to continue to live in the manner to which we have become accustomed when there is perfectly adequate but cheaper accommodation to rent available locally.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt:
quote:
if there are better job opportunities elsewhere, you also go where the work is.
Several people have said this, and also said unemployed people should move to areas where housing is cheaper.

Setting aside the question of how to fulfil these incompatible objectives simultaneously (because housing is generally more expensive in areas of low unemployment), moving is not as easy as it sounds. Jenn has already pointed out that if you are in council housing you do not have an automatic right to be housed by another council, so you would either have to find another council tenant to swap with (easier to say than do) or look for private rented accommodation (considerably more expensive, probably wiping out the financial gain of the job you were hoping to get). If you own a house you have to sell it or rent it out to someone else before you move, neither of which can happen overnight. In fact if you start trying to sell your house at the beginning of your nine-month so-called 'grace period' you'll be lucky to get everything completed by the end of it. My parents have been trying to sell their house for several years; every time they think they've done it the chain falls apart and they have to start again.

Besides, moving is expensive unless you can fit all your worldly possessions in the family car or can borrow a van from a friend. Last time we moved it cost us several thousand pounds in lawyers' fees and removal van hire. It's not something you would do on the offchance of finding work in the area you're moving to; you move to a new area *after* you've got the new, highly lucrative job.

And job-hunting costs money, too. A lot of employers and recruitment agencies have stopped paying travelling expenses for candidates to attend interviews. Back in the 1980s when I was unemployed for a while, the government would pay your travelling expenses if the organisation inviting you for interview didn't, but I don't know whether this still happens. Probably not.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Well, don't assume that we all have the same view as Stoker.

It's obvious that most people don't have the same view as Stoker but most of the argument is around the system as it affects adults. When looked at from the view of the best interests of children the situation may not be so simple.

Children are not 'scroungers'. Children are not 'workless'. But they get included when politicians talk about 'workless families' and the popular press talks about families who rely on benefit as 'scroungers'.

From the link Stoker gave in the OP a table shows a loss of 800,000 available homes as a result of the benefit cap. That could be 800,000 families in need of a home. The Borough of Newham has 32,000 families on a waiting list for houses and in the meantime cannot afford the cost of emergency accommodation. Nothing has been said about the effect of putting children into emergency accommodation, such as hotel rooms, which often breaks housing authority regulations on overcrowding and safety.

Where large numbers of families have been living in areas now deemed outside the benefit range there will be an infrastructure which supported them, schools, medical services etc. Areas where there is housing available may not have the services to support a large influx of children. It could take years to sort this mess out and in the meantime it's children who are suffering the consequences.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Matt:
quote:
if there are better job opportunities elsewhere, you also go where the work is.
Several people have said this, and also said unemployed people should move to areas where housing is cheaper.

Setting aside the question of how to fulfil these incompatible objectives simultaneously (because housing is generally more expensive in areas of low unemployment), moving is not as easy as it sounds. Jenn has already pointed out that if you are in council housing you do not have an automatic right to be housed by another council, so you would either have to find another council tenant to swap with (easier to say than do)

It's not council housing we're talking about, as that is relatively cheap; it's the much more expensive private rental sector where the high costs are
quote:
If you own a house you have to sell it or rent it out to someone else before you move, neither of which can happen overnight. In fact if you start trying to sell your house at the beginning of your nine-month so-called 'grace period' you'll be lucky to get everything completed by the end of it. My parents have been trying to sell their house for several years; every time they think they've done it the chain falls apart and they have to start again.
That sounds fairly exceptional

quote:
Besides, moving is expensive unless you can fit all your worldly possessions in the family car or can borrow a van from a friend. Last time we moved it cost us several thousand pounds in lawyers' fees and removal van hire.
You need to find new lawyers! The standard rate I charge is £540 on a sale and £550 on a purchase.
quote:
It's not something you would do on the offchance of finding work in the area you're moving to; you move to a new area *after* you've got the new, highly lucrative job.
Or you rent in the new area first until you're sure that your new job is working out; only then do you start putting down roots like buying a house there.

quote:
And job-hunting costs money, too. A lot of employers and recruitment agencies have stopped paying travelling expenses for candidates to attend interviews.
Yes, I know. I've done it myself quite a few times. But I don't expect the taxpayer to sub me for it.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I don't know what difference it makes, but on the info you've given here about your family and income, from a quick and dirty calculation, if you were renting you would actually be entitled to Housing Benefit of up to about £90 a week, depending on whereabouts in Hampshire you live.

quote:
Matt Black
Well, I guess that's nice to know, but I still think it would be unfair on the rest of you to have to stump up for us to continue to live in the manner to which we have become accustomed when there is perfectly adequate but cheaper accommodation to rent available locally.

There probably wouldn't be 'perfectly adequate but cheaper' accommodation available locally because housing benefit levels are now fixed at the rate of the cheaper available housing, not the median rate as before. So if you were in circumstances which meant you had to house your family in a private rented house you would need the housing benefit.
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Yes, but that would be in the cheaper accommodation, not maintaining us in our 3-bed detached house in its semi-rural location.

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Children are not 'scroungers'. Children are not 'workless'. But they get included when politicians talk about 'workless families' and the popular press talks about families who rely on benefit as 'scroungers'.

Agreed. And all children are entitled to secure, appropriate housing as a matter of right, not charity. No child should be expected to feel grateful for being shown a basic level of concern for their wellbeing.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Yes, but that would be in the cheaper accommodation, not maintaining us in our 3-bed detached house in its semi-rural location.

I don't think Albertus' quick calculation was based on maintaining you in your present style of house but just on what a three bedroomed house would cost to rent in Hampshire. It could be that renting a three bedroomed terraced house would still cost more than the mortgage on your present home and that you might need to claim some housing benefit.

[ 01. May 2012, 11:49: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt:
quote:
You need to find new lawyers! The standard rate I charge is £540 on a sale and £550 on a purchase.
Perhaps I should have been more precise, but I can't remember the exact cost breakdown. I do remember the estate agents' fees, lawyers' fees and removal-van costs together came to several thousand.

If your fees are about average, the lawyers would have been about a thousand (we were selling one house and buying another).

People moving into rented accommodation don't have to pay these costs, of course, but most private landlords expect you to stump up a deposit equivalent to a couple of months' rent. For anywhere in the South-East with more than one bedroom that would probably be over a thousand; when we rented our first flat it was £400 per month and we had to give the landlord three months' rent as a deposit. And it only had one bedroom, and this was 23 years ago. I'm guessing rents have gone up slightly since then.

The point I'm trying to make is that whether you stay where you are or move, you are going to incur some costs. If you are moving you need to have some ready cash so you can pay fees/deposits/van hire upfront. Or somebody needs to give it to you.

If you are in an area with plenty of jobs available then it might actually work out cheaper *for the taxpayer* to pay your current accommodation costs until you get another job, rather than helping you to move to the other end of the country so you can remain unemployed for several years. The longer you are unemployed, the less chance you have of getting another job.

Of course this doesn't solve the problem of the long-term unemployed, but creating a ghetto for them in Stoke-on-Trent won't do that either.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

justlooking:
quote:
It could be that renting a three bedroomed terraced house would still cost more than the mortgage on your present home and that you might need to claim some housing benefit.
Depends. Interest rates are so low at the moment that Matt's mortgage might be cheaper than the rent on a smaller house in a cheaper area.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Oh, and my parents do not live in the South-East of England, so whatever the housing market is like in Hampshire it's not moving very fast where they are. They really have been trying to sell their house for several years and are on the point of giving up.

[ 01. May 2012, 12:10: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Not really: £1036pcm mortgage. Just had a quick browse of but one local (school catchment area) letting agents and you can rent a 3-bed detached bungalow for £995pcm; if you're willing to really 'slum it', you can get a decent 3-bed semi for between £800-900pcm round here.

[Reply to your middle post]

[ 01. May 2012, 12:10: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

So about £900 rent against £1036 mortgage? Not a huge difference, although the DSS would want to keep costs as low as possible if they have a lot of families to house. I bet your house is about twice the size of the three-bedroom semi, as well.

I realise you're all talking about private rented accommodation, but it's all part of the bigger problem of shortage of housing. If only somebody would listen to Sioni Sais' suggestion and allow the councils to get back into the business of providing social housing directly, we (the taxpayers) could save a fortune. Any profits on renting it out that weren't needed to maintain the properties could go into the general budget and be spent on useful stuff such as social care, or Surestart programmes, or libraries... you know, the things that are being cut back because there's no money for them.

Stoker
Shipmate
# 11939

- Posted      Profile for Stoker   Email Stoker       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It might not be your point but it is Stoker's point.

quote:
If I was redundant, I would not expect the state to stump up my accommodation costs.
Stoker favours a system where if he had a wife and three children and was made redundant there would be no benefit available to house his family.
I do have a child. The state is not responsible for raising her, my wife and I are.

Just looking, I feel you are misrepresenting my position. From my OP:

“The welfare state is there to give strugglers a leg up, not a blanket bloody free for all.”

Which I again use to re-iterate the main point. The welfare state should be there to help people in difficult circumstances – unemployment, housing, healthcare, security etc. What I am object to is the culture that has developed whereby people expect that ‘the state’TM to pay for them. Getting back to the Stoker redundancy scenario, I might expect some intermediate help, while I recalibrated my family’s circumstances, but I would not make long term plans and expectations based on an ongoing contribution from the government. Indeed I have done this with unemployment benefit for thankfully short periods of unemployment in the past. This not the case however for many people who are institutionalised benefits recipients. Is it right that people choose to receive money from taxpayers instead of going to work? Let me give 3 real examples of my family members or friends:

1.) A family with 4 children where the father is unemployed, so the mother has to commute approx 150 miles and work away for 3 days per week. This is very disruptive for their family life and circumstances.

2.) A young relative of mine in a rural area who despite having a degree does not expect a high paid job, he works as a minimum wage caring job for adults with learning difficulties. It is shifts and is disruptive to his personal and social life.

3.) A mum with 2 kids actively looking for work and doing courses to get on and try and find a job as she doesn’t want to be unemployed.

The point is that these 3 examples are people who don’t want to be in long term receipt of state benefits and make the sometimes harder choice to work at a personal cost.

--------------------
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
So about £900 rent against £1036 mortgage? Not a huge difference, although the DSS would want to keep costs as low as possible if they have a lot of families to house. I bet your house is about twice the size of the three-bedroom semi, as well.

Er...no; Mrs B and I have often talked about 'upgrading' to a semi as you tend to get more square footage for your £ round here with a semi than you do for a detached property.

quote:
I realise you're all talking about private rented accommodation, but it's all part of the bigger problem of shortage of housing. If only somebody would listen to Sioni Sais' suggestion and allow the councils to get back into the business of providing social housing directly, we (the taxpayers) could save a fortune. Any profits on renting it out that weren't needed to maintain the properties could go into the general budget and be spent on useful stuff such as social care, or Surestart programmes, or libraries... you know, the things that are being cut back because there's no money for them.
Agreed completely with you there.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016