homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Hollow Crown: BBC Shakespeare (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Hollow Crown: BBC Shakespeare
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watched the first hour or so of the second part of Henry IV last night (then fell asleep cos it was about 2am). Very, very good.

As someone said, it was easier to watch the scenes with the King or the rebels in the North than the Falstaff ones, because the Falstaff scenes are so utterly utterly sad (which seeing as the King's scenes are about a man who knows he's dying and fears his son will destroy his life's work, and the rebels a re centred about a man who is in despair because his sone was killed by the other bloke's son, that takes some doing)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golly, Henry V was a bit grim, wasn't it?
I went and looked at the play straight after watching the BBC version, and they'd cut out about 90% of the light relief scenes - and Henry himself was pretty savage. I was expecting stirring battlefield speeches and "Yay! We beat the French!" but this was all about the heavy responsibility of taking the decision to go to war.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a bit behind here, since we were away the last week or so, so I have H4 pt2 and H5 recorded for when we have time to watch 4 hours or so of Shakespeare.

I can see why - in the era of Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan - the aspect of Why go to war? looms rather larger than the for England and St George! of the wartime Olivier version.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We caught up with Henrys IV pt 2 and V, having been away for a few days.

Yes, Henry V was a bit grim. They cut out an awful lot, and I rather missed the scenes with Fluellen (eat the leek, look you!) and the Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman daftness.

Things that struck me: I noticed the expression of shock on Henry's face when he was told that it was Bardolph who had been hanged for looting. Also, the look on everyone else's faces when he was ranting and threatening before the gates of Harfleur - I think he may have also shocked himself by his vehemence. And the mud, the filth, the blood - realistic fighting, not heroic.

And Jeremy Irons, whose performance as Henry IV was again wonderful.

And finally, lovely John Hurt as the boy/chorus.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Top marks to the BBC, which should be doing productions like this. Come on, guys, how about doing all the plays?

Well they've done four, and there are four more to the end of the Wars of the Roses, so I can certainly feel a second series coming on.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016