homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Really? The Loch Ness Fucking Monster?? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Really? The Loch Ness Fucking Monster??
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wilfried:
Dawkins has an audience because the straw man he sets up as religion is the religion people actually see around them.

Doesn't that mean that it's not actually a straw man?

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty:
God knows what stupid things I've said in ignorance, when I think I know but actually don't. But I refuse to say stuff that I know I don't know.

Charles Williams wrote a prayer for St. Thomas' day which included the line, "Lord, confess we never, not knowing, swore we knew."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
quote:
Originally posted by Wilfried:
Dawkins has an audience because the straw man he sets up as religion is the religion people actually see around them.

Doesn't that mean that it's not actually a straw man?
It's a straw man in so far as it's the easiest sort of religion to attack, and they project it be the essence of all religion. People see this sort of religion around them because this sort of Christianity has the PR upper hand. If shrill con evos didn't own the name Christian, there wouldn't be so much shrill anti-Christianity. I know because when I tell people I'm Christian, I get a reaction to the effect of, "Really? But you're not like like them." And mind you, the influence of militant atheists is non-existent compared to evangelicals (in the US certainly).
Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty:
I also seem to remember him saying something about how the human appendix is not at all vestigial as vegetarians would die without it.

Here are some researchers' ideas about the possible *current* function of the appendix, via Wikipedia.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016