homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ladies and Gentlemen, the Santa Fe Meet PLUS (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen, the Santa Fe Meet PLUS
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, it is that time of the year, when our thoughts run to what do we do for a Meet in June?

This year, talked to Rugasaw and Pata and we decided that the Santa Fe Meet will start in Oklahoma City at the RED EARTH FESTIVAL in Oklahoma City, OK. from June 8 to 10.

Mark you calendars, save the date, check the plane fares and makes those plans! The Santa Fe Meet will commence after Red Earth ends.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I sent information to everyone who has expressed interest in the Meet, or who have come to a Santa Fe meet. Anyone who wants me to send information, please contact me via PM.

Thanks.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've already had a weird, barely-remembered dream about this -- I dreamed I heard from you & Pata that y'all had decided to shift the whole meet. Somewhere unrelated. Maybe New Jersey.

The FG & I are wrangling over Red Earth. Every time he worries about a budget matter he barks at me "And we're not going to Oklahoma, either!"

At which point I give him a Mona Lisa smirk and cock an eyebrow, as if to say, "Well, I can't make you go, but how ya plan to stop me? Got handcuffs?"

... which might not be a bad consolation prize [Snigger] , but it ain't no Red Earth.

I'll be checking out the budding plans!

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for keeping me informed... I live in hope! [Cool]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am sure we can find the FG cheap lodging if that is the concern.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, that's almost unfair, starting the meet in my hometown, then moving to my Other Home Neck of the Woods.
But still a good idea.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariston, IF and I are considering the Santa Fe part of the meet. School is still in session for me until June 9, so we'd have to miss the Oklahoma part, which is a shame.

You feel like a roadtrip? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm planning to be there. I'll hopefully arrive on time this year [Big Grin]

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
I am sure we can find the FG cheap lodging if that is the concern.

It's Oklahoma...housing is cheap. [Biased]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bless him, FG is never so much the stereotypical caricature of a Scot as when I propose to spend (*gasp*) MONEY (*eek*) on mere FUN (*shriek*, as of a vampire in the sun... a stingy stereotype of an extra-thrifty Scottish vampire...)

There'll be no flying. I don't think he'd fly if I paid him a zillion dollars. And frankly, I ain't eager to, either, these days. So that means driving up to Red Earth. Unknown if I will convince him to go on to further fun after that Red Earth weekend.

I bet the hotel rates won't be too bad. I hear there's a discount if you're there for Red Earth, at some hotels anyway. Will get that info from the contact guy for the festival sometime soon.

I wonder if the place we stayed at when I was there before would be good? Maybe we ought to get a big ol' suite together.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My plans are utterly uncertain right now.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Sister Belle,

This should be at the top of your "TO DO" list this year. You are not going to disappoint me, are you? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver's Apprentice:
I'm planning to be there. I'll hopefully arrive on time this year [Big Grin]

MacGyver, I hope that you aren't superstitious...All of the airports in OKC are named for people who died in a plane crash. (The same one to be exact.)

Oklahomans have a weird sense of humor.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Theory is, use up all the bad luck that way, so it won't happen to you.

--------------------

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
All of the airports in OKC are named for people who died in a plane crash.
That's cheerful!

I'm not sure if I'll be flying in or out of an OKC airport. I still haven't decided what I will visit before or after the Ship Meet.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For scenery reasons Eastern/Southeastern Oklahoma is the most scenic part of Oklahoma to drive through. The Talimena drive is considered a national scenic byway and goes through(and mostly on top of) the Ouachita mountains*. Thinking about it I might try to talk Pata into going through that part of Oklahoma on the way to the meet.

*For those in or around the Rockies these are like foothills but by definition they are mountains.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Just got off the phone with a lovely lady at the BRICKTOWN HOTEL in Oklahoma City. JB and I booked our room and held one for Macgyver and Mr. Sponge (when he sends an okay to the trip)
Prices were roughly 79 and 89, ask for the Red Earth Special pricing. At the moment, they have plenty of rooms, but it is never too early to make sure you have the room with confirmation.

The hotel has a shuttle to get us to the Convention Center, Zoo, airport or wherever we want to go. Rugasaw said Bricktown is the "Fun Spot" in OKC. with a Mickey Mantle's bar, Toby Keith's place and other restaurants, so we won't die from hunger! [Snigger]

Here's the webpage for the hotel

SO FAR, HERE'S THE OKLAHOMA/SANTA FE MEET LIST
Motherboard
JB
Rugasaw
Patalebon
McGyver's Apprentice

TENTATIVE:
Janine
daisydaisy
Mr, Sponge
Lynn Magdalene College
Belle Ringer

I hope that this will give someone the impetus to book this trip!, let's add YOUR NAME to either list soon! [Big Grin]

[edited to amend real-life name - WW]

[ 10. February 2012, 02:12: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Fantastic hotel pricing. Will tantalize FG tonight with visions of cheap-priced yet not-cheap-hotel vacationing. (Originally I had "will tantalize FG with visions of cheap hotel fun", but that didn't sound quite right.)

I want to drag him to Cattleman's for a steak, unless the Pata-Saw (Ruga-LeBon?) says somewhere else has even better ones.

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
About the hotel:

Here is a bit more information.

It seems to have some good reviews. I read the low ratings to reflect the exterior and surroundings.

And the prices on the confirmation were:
  • One King Bed $74+Tax
  • Two Queen Beds $84+Tax

Call directly (toll free number on web page) to book.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

The exterior and surrounding doesn't matter much to me. I expect to be off galavanting around with you lot. As memory serves the hotel is not within walking* distance to bricktown or the ford center but they have a competent shuttle. Bricktown may have the eateries and cowtown has the steak ( yes Janine we will eat there at some point on the trip) but i plan on having me an Indian taco.

*technically it is in walking distance for some but I have walked that area before and highly suggest taking the shuttle.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PEDANT ALERT:
Rugsaw, it's not the Ford Center any longer; it's now the Chesapeake Energy Center, or just The 'Peke.
Which is really ironic, since the Really Big Building looming over it is Devon Energy Tower . . .
(Also, a second to the Talamena Drive/Winding Stair Mountains. The Old Military Road through the mountains was a favorite Boy Scout training hike—as well as a chance to find out about bear season. You haven't lived until the guys in orange vests tell you that they shot, but did not kill, a bear—so you might want to keep an eye out and let 'em know if you see anything, okay?)

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Just be glad I didn't call it the Myriad. OK I admit it has been a while since I had to know the name of that place.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Hey, they Myriad's still across the street. Okay, the Myriad Gardens, new, revamped, and with a clean Crystal Bridge! It all gets renamed every few years anyway, and people will still know what you mean. Refer to something as the "Gaylord/Chesapeake/Devon" whatever, you've got a good chance of getting it right.

(Note to non-OKC-folk: the Gaylords were wealthy newspaper and hotel barons who basically dominated Oklahoma politics for decades, making sure about everything was named after them in the process. The other two are filthy rich natural gas companies, who are busy purchasing naming rights to all the new redevelopment in the City.)

--------------------

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

The hotel looks good.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly I have moved from being tentative to an absentee - I feel the need to keep my feet on terra firma for a while. All the same, I will miss seeing y'all and wish I was with you.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

And, we most certainly will miss you, sweetie. I had some fun things planned for us. AND, you haven't taken the new car for a spin. [Snigger]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Skeleton scribblings of Red Earth Plan... about 600 miles... rental car about $210... room (flex # nights, maybe 4?), king size non smoking about $300... about $100 in fuel if price stays $4 or less... tally @ $600 or so... @ least 2 or 3 meals "out" for supper/more expensive, $150-$200; then various other meals/snacks etc, another $100... might as well go for $1,000...

Yagh. Scary skeleton. Still putting flesh on them bones.

[ 22. February 2012, 20:42: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

I'm counting on you and the FG, Janine. Make it happen!

The list as of today:
SO FAR, HERE'S THE OKLAHOMA/SANTA FE MEET LIST
Motherboard
JB
Rugasaw
Patalebon
McGyver's Apprentice

TENTATIVE:
Janine
Mr, Sponge
Lynn Magdalene College
Belle Ringer ?

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Update:

According to FG, today marked the tipping point -- he's been forced to use up so much of his PTO that he can no longer take a vacation, not even just a week, in June. It's still looking do-able that I should go without him, though.

Still cooking plans.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

YAAAAH, Janine! Glad you could possibly make it. FG is going to be missed.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
YAAAAH, Janine! Glad you could possibly make it. FG is going to be missed.

AND FOR THE REST OF YOU STILL THINKING OF COMING:
you need to make a decision before MAY 1.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Just got off the phone with a lovely lady at the BRICKTOWN HOTEL in Oklahoma City. JB and I booked our room...

What dates did you book? 3 nights or 4?

It's back up to "maybe".

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
quote:
Just got off the phone with a lovely lady at the BRICKTOWN HOTEL in Oklahoma City. JB and I booked our room...

What dates did you book? 3 nights or 4?

It's back up to "maybe".

Arriving 6/7, departing 6/10

May is coming closer, so we should nail down who is coming - especially for the Red Earth in Oklahoma. Can we have the planed attendance by May 1?

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Ruminating. Also thinking about the days after, depending on plans for happenings after Red Earth.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

I just found out today I DO have a commitment here June 8 and June 10, so no Red Earth meet for me. Alas. CURRENTLY no plans after the 10th, which leaves open some possibilities I guess.
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Okay then, I won't have that many teeshirts to make this year for this group:

Rugasaw
Patalebon
Motherboard
JB
Macgyver

The rest of you will be missing out if you don't commit soon.
[Smile]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

*Sigh*.

Unfortunately, this "we're married we're partners we make decisions about big expenditures mutually" thing is NOT always fun. I just can't commit to the OK-Plus meet this year. I am devastated. Well, as devastated as my personality type ever gets.

*Sigh*

--------------------

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

I've booked my flights to and from USA. I will be flying in and out of San Francisco, and will have a little wander around Yosemite before flying to Oklahoma.

Is it just me, or has air travel changed from being expensive to being very expensive? [Frown]

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver's Apprentice:
...Is it just me, or has air travel changed from being expensive to being very expensive? [Frown]

And very crowded.
It may be a new use of the word, but "Enjoy" it.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[air travel tangent]

I managed to book flights from here to UK this year remarkably cheaply after trawling through the websites of ALL the airlines that fly out of here but trans-Atlantic may be another thing entirely.

[/tangent]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Only person who has not said anything is you, Mr Sponge. Any thoughts on the coming to the meet?

If that's all of us - PM me your teeshirt sizes, my fellow travelers , The logo is going to be really different this year, I hope you like it.

Thank you, MB

--------------------

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be able to make it for the Red Earth weekend. I hope you all have fun. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the new T-shirts!

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

Oh, pictures, yes, I'm been sniffing in self-pity about not having another SOF SF meet t-shirt for my collection. Ah well, at least we can see pictures, right? Yea!

[ 26. April 2012, 13:30: Message edited by: Belle Ringer ]

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

We wear the Hell out of the Meet T-shirts around here. Casual wear suitable for every conceivable occasion. [Big Grin]

FG looks good dressed in Santa Fe. Somehow, I've got to get him in Santa Fe.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Ordered the teeshirts today, so this will be the last call for the Oklahoma Meet.

JB and I have two trips before the OK/SF meet, so we may be a little tired. [Big Grin] Looking forward to driving and seeing the scenery, though.

--------------------

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

Bump.

I arrive in OKC at 10:00pm on 07 June, flying in from sunny Sacramento.

Not long now [Cool]

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Can't wait, MacGyver! Send the info and you will be picked up at the airport. We are coming in on the 7th.

Are you ready for us, Rug and Pata? As MG says, not too long now. [Yipee]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Conducting last-ditch Meet Plan Coercion tonight. So far so good. Good thing I made the (verbal) reservations with the hotel and the car rental company long ago. Costs me nothing if I have to cancel them, but they're there if all goes well and I actually get to go.

Will try to get a rock-solid agreement out of the FG ASAP. The way his mind works, he'd leave all the planning and commitment needed for a shuttle launch until the day before, just in case bad weather or a squeaky terrorist might scuttle the shuttle.

Too bad silver's gone up so much lately. Don't think I'll be able to score much this time around. Ah, well, the world doesn't revolve around silver. Turquoise, maybe...

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Very happy to see that Janine might be able to come to Red Earth.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

One week and a day to go! [Yipee]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016