homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Celebrities in church (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Celebrities in church
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
At my previous parish, another city church, Hayley Mills turned up before Evensong one Sunday night, she was in Sydney doing a play and dropped in for a look.

At last, a way in for me on this thread: I used to deliver milk to her door when helping our local milkman during school holidays [Yipee]
Swooooon. I had such a girl crush on her.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my former London church the actress Mary Millar (RIP) who played Rose in 'Keeping Up Appearances' often attended. She was lovely.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Irish Olympic gold medalist Katie Taylor belongs to St. Mark's, the massive Dublin Pentecostal church I used to live opposite.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
At my former London church the actress Mary Millar (RIP) who played Rose in 'Keeping Up Appearances' often attended. She was lovely.

She was probably there to flirt with the Vicar.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Last Sunday we had Horseman's Sunday, and St John's has pictures of that and all sorts of happenings. But no picture of the Bishop of London who will be there this week (next Sunday) for confirmation for adults and youngsters.

Small tangent if I may, pleaase,

I have never heard is Horseman's Sunday.
What is it?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
What is it?

Google is your friend!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Last Sunday we had Horseman's Sunday, and St John's has pictures of that and all sorts of happenings. But no picture of the Bishop of London who will be there this week (next Sunday) for confirmation for adults and youngsters.

Small tangent if I may, pleaase,

What is it?

It comes every year, once a year, and we have the service outside the church, with food and all sorts of things, just before we have the service, hymns, Bible, prayer, and blessing of each one of the horses.
We always have the Leader of the Westminster in her special clothes and also many others, council ones, who also wear their formal clothes. We have a usual service inside before the outside one, and the front of the church service is reserved for the leaders.
We'll have the Bishop of London this Sunday, also as he dresses normally.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Back home I remember seeing a local celebrity in church, one of the news anchors in town.

We also have a local newsreader in our parish. He is semi-retired but very active at my parish: he is an adult acolyte and lector as well as attending meetings of the men's group. I think he is studying to be a deacon.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
OhSimone
Shipmate
# 16414

- Posted      Profile for OhSimone   Author's homepage   Email OhSimone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if an 80th birthday thanksgiving party/service counts? If so, notch two up for David and Carrie Grant (not that one), who I think go to a big church somewhere in Finchley normally.
Posts: 198 | From: The Black Country | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
In 1992 William Carey turned up at the Baptist church of which I was then a member.

At least, that's whom he claimed to be, and he was dressed appropriately.

Perhaps I should have posted this on the recent Ghosts thread.

1992 incidentally was the bicentenary of the founding by Carey of the Baptist Missionary Society,seen by some as the origin of the modern Protestant missionary movement.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a very starry wedding some years ago: the groom's mother was a famous theatrical Dame, his father a leading character actor. The bride's aunt is an older actress who, in her time, has been nominated for an academy award as Best Actress. One reading (Corinthians, I think) was given by the Earl of Downton, the other by a regular from Have I got news for you. Oh, and the ushers were all - ALL EIGHT OF THEM - people who'd been featured actors either in various episodes of Sharpe or in Four Weddings and a Funeral.
I have to say they all sang the hymns with gusto and the ushers even made sure all the hassocks were put back at the end of the service. [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church has been visited by Kathleen Ferrier a couple of times. No, not the English contralto singer, but the Dutch politician who has the same name (in fact, they are related).

In fact, I know the politician Ferrier also personally outside of church or politics, because we did some work together related to Latin America. She became quite famous two years ago when she was one of the two Christian-Democratic parliament members who were against forming a government with Wilders (good on her!)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church is next door to a county cricket ground, and from time to time we have had county and even international cricketers come to a service. Including links through our toddler group (which has had some of the wives of county players coming along with their kids), we could probably get over 200 international Test caps. If only we could persuade them to come along and play for the church cricket team...

The line up would include Marcus Trescothick, Sanath Jayasuriya, Zander de Bruyn, Graham Rose, Vic Marks, David Capel, John Barclay and Andrew Wingfield-Digby. I would play them against the local baptist church who once brought Peter Bowler (former Somerst captain) along to open against us in a friendly match.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:
My church is next door to a county cricket ground, and from time to time we have had county and even international cricketers come to a service. Including links through our toddler group (which has had some of the wives of county players coming along with their kids), we could probably get over 200 international Test caps. If only we could persuade them to come along and play for the church cricket team...

The line up would include Marcus Trescothick, Sanath Jayasuriya, Zander de Bruyn, Graham Rose, Vic Marks, David Capel, John Barclay and Andrew Wingfield-Digby. I would play them against the local baptist church who once brought Peter Bowler (former Somerst captain) along to open against us in a friendly match.

Did Rev. Andrew Wingfield-Digby preach? He's vicar of St.Andrew's, Oxford now.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My former parish numbered a well-known TV actor (female, now sadly deceased) and an as-yet-unknown but now powerful politician as regular worshippers.

And Jimmy Saville was a regular mass attender at Leeds RC Cathedral. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't seem to have done him much good.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Doesn't seem to have done him much good.

More a topic for Purgatory (in the theological as well as the Ship sense) I suppose. But religion isn't really about 'doing us good' but recognising the flawed mixed-up creatures that we are. God rest his soul.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016