homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ye Olde NaNoWriMo - and beyond (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ye Olde NaNoWriMo - and beyond
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]

I am giggling at these posts. Y'all may be right, that I should be thankful that my peeps are at least talking! So thanks for cheering me up with shared tales of woe.

Now, back to work.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I have the opposite problem. My characters just sit gormlessly on the sofa and stare at each other and refuse to say anything.

I think they like companionable silences but those aren't very interesting to read about [Roll Eyes]

I can't get mine away from discussing medieval illuminated manuscripts. This is not what they're here for and I don't know why everyone is so interested in the lost devotional works of Adso of Melk. They bore me to distraction, but now my main character's even agreed to go to a bloody lecture on illuminated manuscripts next week in order to compare writing and illustration styles. What happened to saving the planet from the possible apocalypse? This is looking very likely to turn into "Let's Save the Planet from Illuminated Manuscripts Faked by Bruno of Basel", unless something can be done.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So far, the only real action comes when my protagonist is driving a pedal-car round the back garden with his little brother in tow. Another time, he climbed a tree in front of the house.

Later we shall see our then-14-year-old hitchhiking home for his girlfriend's house and being picked up by two girls in an MGB. Once he got the one in the passenger seat sitting on his lap, he probably told the driver that he was going to Colorado Boulevard and eventually points west. This was of course in the late sixties. I don't think young ladies would stop to pick up a teenage boy at the side of the road today!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've done with redrafting what I had written a couple of years ago and I'm into new stuff now, so I feel I am NaNoing again.

However, having started a fieldful of hares plot wise, I need to begin rounding them up - especially the one which left one of my characters 'orribly murdered quite some chapters ago.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Halfway! 25,000 words as of yesterday. [Big Grin]

How is everybody doing?

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was right up to date as of yesterday but got nothing done yesterday, won't today or tomorrow, and thus am burdened with the feeling of falling behind.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The hares are pairing up. You know that nice state where almost everything you come across, you think: I could use that.

Coupled with the sometimes faintly disturbing discovery that you think of some circumstance which you would like to have exist for the purpose of your plot, and then find it does. There actually was a temple of the Golden Dawn in Edinburgh in the 1890s. [Cue portentous music].

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Real Life suddenly got in the way earlier this week, I'm now 3-4 days behind and don't think I shall be able to catch up now. I'll have a think at the weekend about continuing.
kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

- Posted      Profile for kaytee   Email kaytee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes I am scared of getting much behind because I know I'll be too busy elsewhere to be able to catch up.

I made it over the 25K mark yesterday, but overslept this morning so have not even written 600 words today - although I hope to get a few more done in a minute.

The last few days I have felt like I'm treading water and just writing for the sake of my word count. It has occurred to me today how I can bring in one of the minor characters and get a whole sub-plot going so I feel better about carrying on.

--------------------
'Lying is a vital survival skill – and a terrible habit.' ~ The Doctor

Posts: 152 | From: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hit 29,161 words last night, but haven't yet managed a single word today [Roll Eyes]

I am hoping inspiration will hit me a bit later on, as it is now 4.30pm and time to start preparing the evening meal for the family......

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have made it over the 30K mark. And I realize that getting to 50K will mean the book isn't even half done. So I may need another Nanowrimo next month.

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's gone quiet.

With the next writing workshop on Saturday, I've been pushing on. Not so much on length, as dotting back and changing things in the light of the now dawning plot. But I need something to happen soon, as people are doing rather too much reading things aloud to each other.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going badly, well given up.

But have had time/inclination to mess about completing something else, so the novel should be out for kindle next week.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Dropped out - just have not had the time to be able to sit down and do this.

However, it can always be revisited at some more convenient point.

kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

- Posted      Profile for kaytee   Email kaytee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is very true - it's not all about November.

I'm still going. I'm on target with my word count at the moment but nervous that I might just miss out on 30th November for one reason or another. I have to work this weekend which really doesn't help. If only November ended on a Monday so I could have a final weekend to get this thing finished.

I had a rocky patch where I felt like I was repeating myself - my character has seizures, and it was hard work making the experience the same, but different each time. Then yesterday I had a random good day and wrote a scene that made me remember why I'm doing this. It also made me realise that once November is over I will have a lot of work to do to try to get that magical quality into more of the novel. Still, that's for December...

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by kaytee:

With that as a motto, what's the feeling for extending this thread for a while, to see if it can midwife any of these conceptions to term?

I'm interested, of purse, because the workshops I've signed up for run into the New Year.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

With that as a motto, what's the feeling for extending this thread for a while, to see if it can midwife any of these conceptions to term?

I'm interested, of purse, because the workshops I've signed up for run into the New Year.

Excellent idea

mr curly

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Not on my account, but if others think they'd find it useful, go for it. Don't wait for me. Could be several years yet before I get round to finishing my Nano novel.
kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

Yes I'm up for it. The 30 November deadline is keeping me going at the moment, but it would be a shame to lose the motivation to continue just because the month is over.

This is the first time I've written anything more than about 5000 words, and it's a story I want to tell, so I hope I can keep up the momentum.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm all for keeping it going. I know we had a private board for writers at one time and there wasn't enough activity keep that alive for a long time (I like to think that we are all too busy actually writing, but maybe not) ... but surely there are enough writers on the Ship that we could manage to keep a THREAD going if not an entire board?

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

That was my thinking, Trudy. Writing is a big topic - but work in hand, stemming from a particular approach ie the NaNoWriMo initiative, might be doable.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd like it, if you'd accept a NaNo Rebel. Mine's nonfiction, currently at 56 pages.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Oh, I think we'd want to be open to rebels and all.

After the bit of writing I did last night I feel like I actually understand what motivates one of my characters better than I did, which is actually a much bigger accomplishment than the number of words I got written.

--------------------
Books and things.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I'd be glad to keep this going too. I've realised that even if I do make it to 50,000, I still won't be nearly finished. And then there are all the plot holes to go back and plug.

My main issue at the moment is that my murderer has been so damn clever, I am not sure how anyone is going to work it out.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

At least you know who your murderer is. Nearest I've got is a manifestation of the goddess Sekhmet.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I slowed down, I suspected it might be the best way of getting me to do everything else that needed to be done - procrastination r us. I still have lots of ideas to get down on paper, but have found turning my inner editor off pretty impossible.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Second of the workshops today. Interesting people, but to me rather tedious proceedings - except when I got to read my stuff, of course.

I can't complain: the whole course is serving its purpose of making me actually work on the book, and the feedback was positive.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Five days to go and 9,500 words still to write. It should be possible, but I am sooo tired now. Especially now as I am wandering deeper and deeper into the darker reaches of the human psyche.

Cottontail, muttering distractedly to herself: I can do this, I can do this.

--------------------

kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

You can do it! I'm right behind you. See you at the finish line on Friday!

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I was keeping up well but got quite behind over the weekend and now have about 13,000 words to go.

I've already recorded my video blog for this Wednesday optimistically claiming that I have finished NaNoWriMo, so I either have to step it up and finish, or re-shoot part of my vlog so I'm not making false claims about myself. I have write-ins with my best writer friend planned for tonight and possibly tomorrow night too, so hopefully it can be done!

--------------------
Books and things.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd be interested in a writer's board as I hope to write the novel(s) of the PhD, after I've finished the actual PhD.

This is my most stress-free NaNo in years. I've spent the last three Novembers nagging my son to ignore NaNo, focus on his schoolwork, and go to bed before 3am. Not to mention the struggle to get him out of bed and onto the school bus after a NaNo all-nighter. Now he's at University, doing NaNo again, but what I can't see can't harm me. Bliss.

(He's also entered another writing competition - see my sig line.)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'm in a lull. Which doesn't need to go on too long, as I've to send the tutor an extract illustrative of 'pace' by Friday.
kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

After this morning's session I'm on about 48.5K words, so I should 'win' tomorrow [Smile]

I think I need a day or two to catch up on sleep. [Snore] My strategy of getting up an hour early to write has worked, but I am feeling very tired. Long term, I'm going to need a different writing schedule that allows me to sleep more.

Unfortunately, my cat has learned to expect his breakfast earlier, and wakes me by tapping me on the nose before my alarm clock has even gone off [Roll Eyes] I will have to get him out of that habit somehow!

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I reached my 50, 238 words on Monday evening.

The story is nowhere near finished, and I am exhausted, but it was wonderful fun and there is a certain amount of satisfaction in having completed it for 4 years running [Big Grin]
Good luck to everyone who is on the last lap!

--------------------

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Well done, BT.

I hope you'll stay with he thread and finish the story.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Son has just posted on FB that he has reached his 50,000. And this year I don't have to cope with the post-NaNo slump, as he recovers from serious sleep deprivation!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the end I'm glad I didn't join. I managed to get about 7000 words/1 chapter written, which on the one hand is kind of pathetic compared to some of you but on the other hand about 7000 words more than I would have written otherwise.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I am on the home stretch and have reached the predictable stage of hating everything about my story. Of course this is nothing like the end of the story -- this is probably about the first 1/3. But at least I'll have 50,000 more words of crappy first draft done.

--------------------
Books and things.

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have reached my goal of 50,000 words! Now on to my next goal of recovering my sanity. [Smile]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I won't be finishing tomorrow: I only have four pages and I need to expand the character set. I'll try to get off to a better start next year.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Congrats, all those who've made it!!

mr curly

--------------------

kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

It's done! [Yipee] Congrats to everyone.

I have a lot of work to come to make it into something that might actually be readable. Somehow I deviated from the planned ending that I had written about the main character's brother and now it's all about her best friend's father. I'm not sure I can integrate the two strands, so some serious editing is required, but that's okay. Now that November is over I'm looking forward to making it better rather than just focussing on the number of words.

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woohoo! I have reached my target word count and life is good. Now to make sure I sleep, and that the vivid dreams of all my characters doing truly daft things don't make me madder.

Well done to everyone who did a thing this November.

Cattyish.

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I made the goal last night too. I find that I work well with these artificial deadlines such as those provided by NaNo, so, in the interests of getting more of a first draft to work with, my next goal is going to be to get from my current 51,000 or so words, up to 75,000 by Christmas.

Congrats to all the finishers ... and really, to anyone who wrote anything in November that they might not have written otherwise!

--------------------
Books and things.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Utterly exhausted, I have crawled over the 50,000 finishing line - several hours behind the rest of you!

There's still far too much dialogue. My chapters are thoroughly uneven in size. My murderer still hasn't been unmasked, and I finished just there in utter incoherence.

But I made it! [Yipee]

Wow. Phew. Urgh.

Congratulations to all who have achieved their targets, whatever they were, and to all who have simply written more than they would have without this. We Are Writers.

--------------------

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

Well done everyone who reached their targets, and to those who did not, there is always next year !

--------------------

kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

*bump*

So now that we're a few days into December, what's everyone doing? Still writing, or taking a breather? I must admit I haven't written anything since 30th November...

I downloaded the free trial of Scrivener to play around with, do any of you use that? It seems helpful for the way I write, which tends to be whole scenes, in a random order, and then I put them together and adjust as necessary. I'm thinking I will buy it once I get the Nano discount code.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

After the exciting interval between workshops 1 and 2, in which I completely re-imagined the characters, saw shed loads of exciting interconnections and plot lines, and wrote a chapter which got pretty good reviews from the tutor/class - I've done sod all.

Workshop 3 is on Saturday AND I SHOULD WRITE SOME MORE.

Must. Can't. Must.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still plodding forward.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I am visiting my nieces house now; she did nanowrimo and her dad is a novelist. I shall getahead startonnextyear

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016