homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 'Souls don't rise'

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 'Souls don't rise'
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During the vestry prayers after tonight's mass for S. Bartholomew's Day, most of the servers responded to the petition 'May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace' with the response 'and rise in glory!'. Our celebrant, a young priest visiting from London, gently corrected them, saying 'souls don't rise'. This is, of course, theologically correct and of no small importance.

How, I wonder, did this 'custom get started'. Was the response originally added to the petition 'may they rest in peace', where it fits more accurately, and only later extended to this less opportune place? Perhaps more interestingly, how did a response that is — as far as I know — sanctioned by no authority find its way into the collective vernacular of so many parishes?

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by (S)pike couchant:
During the vestry prayers after tonight's mass for S. Bartholomew's Day, most of the servers responded to the petition 'May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace' with the response 'and rise in glory!'. Our celebrant, a young priest visiting from London, gently corrected them, saying 'souls don't rise'. This is, of course, theologically correct and of no small importance.

How, I wonder, did this 'custom get started'. Was the response originally added to the petition 'may they rest in peace', where it fits more accurately, and only later extended to this less opportune place? Perhaps more interestingly, how did a response that is — as far as I know — sanctioned by no authority find its way into the collective vernacular of so many parishes?

Here's a thread about it from Oblivion.

I wonder the same things about it. But I hadn't heard the counter-statement, "Souls don't rise." I'll have to think about that...
[Angel]

[ 24. August 2012, 22:26: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to rest in peace and then rise in glory, and I'd like people to pray for me when I die that this may happen. [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a recollection that Bishop Tom Wright has suggested that it is the reference to 'souls' that is misleading and should be dropped from this exchange, i.e.
'May the faithful departed/Granny/X, through the mercy of God, rest in peace' with the response 'and rise in glory!'

I'd certainly be very happy that when the time comes, people should pray both those prayers for me.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The prayer is not about the resurrection of the body but an entreaty for the rest of the soul until the resurrection. Simples.

I suspect the rather stupid "and rise in glory" is more to do with being uncomfortable with the notion of an intermediate state.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it too. Often from the same folks who add "alleluia, alleluia" after every dismissal throughout the year. Many people don't think about what they say.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Our celebrant, a young priest visiting from London, gently corrected them, saying 'souls don't rise'.

He was trained under Robin Ward at St Stephen's House.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

- Posted      Profile for (S)pike couchant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
Our celebrant, a young priest visiting from London, gently corrected them, saying 'souls don't rise'.

Thurible

Nice guess, but no. This particular priest didn't go to Staggers (nor was he ever a regular at Pusey House, which is more unusual!)

--------------------
'Still the towers of Trebizond, the fabled city, shimmer on the far horizon, gated and walled' but Bize her yer Trabzon.

Posts: 308 | From: West of Eden, East of England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I did not join SoF until the year after the discussion now in oblivion took place, I had never heard of this "rise in glory" bit until reading this thread. In my Anglican days, all I ever heard was:

Eternal rest grant to them, O Lord
And may perpetual light shine upon them
May the rest in peace
Amen.

This, or similar, is also what I have always heard as an RC over the last several decades.

Most of my Anglican involvement was in Anglo-Catholic settings. But in my experience, TEC parishes of whatever churchmanship either prayed for the dead using the above, or they did not say anything, at all.

I agree that souls do not rise, and wording that suggests otherwise is theologically inaccurate. However, if the prayer or ejaculation does not specifically refer to souls, then the "rise in glory" bit is perfectly acceptable.

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure my more erudite Shipmates are all very accurate in this point. But if 'souls don't rise' I'd rather remain bodily unrisen; for a body without a soul seems rather redundant. Though a great plot for a horror movie.

I've always liked the Hebrew idea of humans being embodied souls, but maybe that doesn't work for the purists.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too like that idea. I think Bishop Tom Wright's point is that 'we' rest, not part of us, and 'we' who hope to rise bodily in glory.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I'm sure my more erudite Shipmates are all very accurate in this point. But if 'souls don't rise' I'd rather remain bodily unrisen; for a body without a soul seems rather redundant. Though a great plot for a horror movie.

As I understand it, the idea is that souls don't need to rise because they have, in a sense, never fallen, whereas the body does fall (in death) and does (according to Christian domga) rise again in glory.

I suspect that part of the confusion is the result of the sheer popularity of this prayer, which extends well beyond those Anglo-Catholic parishes that have a clearly defined view of a Christian's journey after death. The prayer really does assume some concept of Purgatory, and I think that there may be some attempt to rid of it of that assumption, resulting a general muddle.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is nonsense, for souls not to have fallen they have to not be created. So you are arguing that souls don't exist.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I understand it, the idea is that souls don't need to rise because they have, in a sense, never fallen, whereas the body does fall (in death) and does (according to Christian domga) rise again in glory.

Ah, Manichean dualism. How I love a Sunday lunchtime heresy.

quote:
I suspect that part of the confusion is the result of the sheer popularity of this prayer, which extends well beyond those Anglo-Catholic parishes that have a clearly defined view of a Christian's journey after death. The prayer really does assume some concept of Purgatory, and I think that there may be some attempt to rid of it of that assumption, resulting a general muddle.
I reckon that's probably spot-on.

--------------------

(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
That is nonsense, for souls not to have fallen they have to not be created. So you are arguing that souls don't exist.

Jengie

I wasn't talking about 'the Fall', I was using 'fall' as the opposite of rise.

The body dies. It descends into the grave. Death is not an illusion. It is simply that Christ has conquered death. The body is, eventually, resurrected, but this does not happen immediately — even Our Lord's body was in the tomb for three days.

The soul does not, cannot, die. In death, body and soul are separated as the body decays and soul continues its journey. In the Resurrection, the soul is reunified with the glorified body. I'm not a trained theologian, and it may be that I'm not expressing myself well, but I am confident that this is not heresy, it's Catholic doctrine (e.g. Catechism of the Catholic Church, 996).

[ 26. August 2012, 13:01: Message edited by: (S)pike couchant ]

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

Thank you for the clarification. Indeed, I think you are correct.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except if they fell in the Fall then they surely can rise? The language is metaphorical but to rise is towards God and to fall is away from God.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Actually what is wrong with that statement is not that souls don't rise but the implication that they do in the absence of the body.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wasn't talking about 'the Fall', I was using 'fall' as the opposite of rise.

The body dies. It descends into the grave. Death is not an illusion. It is simply that Christ has conquered death. The body is, eventually, resurrected, but this does not happen immediately — even Our Lord's body was in the tomb for three days.

The soul does not, cannot, die. In death, body and soul are separated as the body decays and soul continues its journey. In the Resurrection, the soul is reunified with the glorified body.

I'm certainly happy to go with this as a theological explanation of the non-rising-ability of souls. But there'll always be a part of me that feels it's all a bit literal. I mean, my body rises every morning without dying (though not without a great deal of reluctance). Surely, a soul may 'rise' to its new stature in the resurrection life?

As I say, it all seems a bit too literal to be useful. To me the phrase of souls rising in glory is more poetry than an attempt at doctrine.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Actually what is wrong with that statement is not that souls don't rise but the implication that they do in the absence of the body.

Jengie

Ah! What an excellent point, hadn't looked at it like that. Thanks Jengie.

Is there a good modern ending to use instead - or is it best just to miss out the word 'souls' as has been suggested.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

Percy B, the best ending to the prayer, I would suggest, is the original ending: Amen.

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Ho no Trisagion!

I actually meant, and sorry if I wasn't clear, is there a better traditional end of Mass prayer that avoids the contentiousness of this prayer.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The version I am most familiar with is:

V: May the souls of the faithful departed, in the mercy of God, rest in peace.
R: Amen

When I was growing up the local Spikes were Kelham (or Mirfield) men, which might be of some relevance.

PD

[ 26. August 2012, 21:12: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm most familiar with it being used this way. When the intentions are being announced (just before the Prayer for the Church Malignant) the priest will request prayers for the sick or afflicted, and if anyone has died in the past week prayers will be asked for the repose of his soul, ending with

V. May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God rest in peace :
R. And may light perpetual shine upon them.

I've never heard the "rise in glory" bit in our churches.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the one we use in my Episcopal Church parish.
Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

Fr Weber, are you sure. It seems a confusion of the traditional prayer. I may be mistaking Roman practice for the norm but since the prayer comes from the Roman tradition, it might be worth reflecting on how it goes there. It goes as follows:

V/. Requiem aeternum dona eis, Domine
R/. Et lux perpetua luceat eis.
V/. Fidelium animae, per misericordiam Dei, requiescant in pace.
R/. Amen

This is usually translated as:

V/. Eternal rest grant unto him (her), O Lord
R/. And let perpetual light shine upon him (her).
V/. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
R/. Amen.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely sure. It's certainly a confusion or rearrangement of the prayer you cite, but it seems to have become its own thing.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trisagion's version (or sometimes just the first V & R) is what I am familiar with as a response to a bidding. But the 'rise in glory' thing seems to have crept in as a semi-private prayer to conclude the liturgy.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often heard it frequently "may the souls of the faithful" never mentioning the word "departed."

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea of a disembodied soul or spirit surviving death is a little bit dodgy. We are raised as complete people with new bodies.

Souls don't rise, people do.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Is there such a thing as a disembodied soul, my father (in this case as a point of interest) would maintain not and that soul is more than the body, the total of being a person including social and other material realities, not apart from the body.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Holy Smoke
Shipmate
# 14866

- Posted      Profile for Holy Smoke     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My memory might be faulty, but I think I recall the response being used at Evening Prayer at Magdalen College, Oxford - possibly also full evensong, but of that I'm less sure. But at the end of Evening Prayer (the shorter of the two services) the minister says "May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace", and the congregation answers "And rise in glory", that being just about the only contribution made by the latter, apart from 'amens'.

I would therefore hazard a guess that the practice goes back to the days of the founder, William of Waynflete, in the fifteenth century, I believe, hence pre-Reformation.

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
(S)pike couchant
Shipmate
# 17199

quote:
Originally posted by Holy Smoke:

I would therefore hazard a guess that the practice goes back to the days of the founder, William of Waynflete, in the fifteenth century, I believe, hence pre-Reformation.

I would be very much shocked if that turned out to be true.

--------------------

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The phrase is found all over in "high" places, because it sounds a bit Catholic, but it's a bit wrong till corrected. Places where they know what it means don't make the mistake.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think it probably owes more to Fr Piret than to Old Bill.

Thurible

--------------------

Holy Smoke
Shipmate
# 14866

- Posted      Profile for Holy Smoke     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I think it probably owes more to Fr Piret than to Old Bill.
Quite possibly. [Big Grin] But it does at least have the feel of Ancient College Tradition, for those of us who don't know any better.
Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also a discussion about this on the GSS forum where it is suggested:

'Rest in peace' was traditionally a prayer for the soul in purgatory. The response was simply 'Amen'. Substituting 'rise in glory' (which must refer to the body) turns the prayer into a more general one for the deceased. It's certainly not unsound in itself - if the word 'soul' is omitted - but would appear to represent a step away from traditional catholic teaching.

The 'rise in glory' response seems to be an unusual example of an Anglican 'use' that is creeping into RC worship.

[It possibly] originated out of a pastoral desire to pray for the dead without a commitment to the doctrine of purgatory. The response turns a specific prayer for the soul into a more general one for the 'whole person'. In that sense it could be used more widely - but less precisely - by non-Catholic Christians (as it is for example in the Methodist Service Book).

The new response doesn't seem to appear in any authorized liturgy and is largely unknown in the Roman church. It probably originated in a 'middle of the road' Anglican context which was not unwilling to pray for the dead, but did not want to appear committed to the catholic doctrine of 'where' they are and how they might actually benefit from our prayers.

In an earlier discussion here (which I cannot find) I think the earliest example quoted was at Cuddesdon under Robert Runcie in the 1970s. It's certainly creeping in everywhere. When a lay intercessor used it at our church and the Vicar objected he was told "but it's used at All Saints' Margaret Street".

[ 30. August 2012, 08:46: Message edited by: Corvo ]

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:

In an earlier discussion here (which I cannot find) . . .

Here it is : http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=015360
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Used this one in vestry prayers this morning! Sadly didn't get the chance to raise a discussion about it; maybe next week.

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A soul is a whole person, body and spirit, so could it not be that the word soul in this context refers to the psychosomatic unity that constitutes a whole resurrected person?
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vaticanchic:
The phrase is found all over in "high" places, because it sounds a bit Catholic, but it's a bit wrong till corrected. Places where they know what it means don't make the mistake.

It has something of a Franciscan ring to it, but I don't know why.

It seems to be more a growing MOTR to moderate to AffCath thing. Very High and Trad seems to say 'Amen' after the 'rest in peace'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
infoleather
Apprentice
# 17335

- Posted      Profile for infoleather   Email infoleather   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer to keep the body unrisen body without a soul seems rather redundant. Although a great horror movie plot.

--------------------
the sunset of life gives me mystical lore, And coming events cast their shadows before.

Posts: 3 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Robin Ward
Apprentice
# 13032

- Posted      Profile for Robin Ward   Email Robin Ward   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are two problems with this: First, souls don't rise, people do. S. Thomas says 'my soul is not me' in his commentary on I Corinthians, and Dante mentions the souls of the blessed desiring reunion with their bodies, 'The lustre which already swathes us round/Shall be outlustred by the flesh, which long/ Day after day now moulders underground.' Second, prayer for the departed can assuage whatever sufferings they may undergo in preparation for the beatific vision, but cannot affect the ultimate fate of the individual given at the particular judgement immediately after death (the success of Pope S. Gregory the Great in releasing the emperor Trajan from hell is the exception that proves the rule here). So it is redundant to pray that people might rise 'in glory', when that judgement is already settled.

--------------------
Robin Ward

Posts: 2 | From: Oxford | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

quote:
quote:

See.

Thurible

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin Ward:
There are two problems with this: First, souls don't rise, people do. S. Thomas says 'my soul is not me' in his commentary on I Corinthians, and Dante mentions the souls of the blessed desiring reunion with their bodies, 'The lustre which already swathes us round/Shall be outlustred by the flesh, which long/ Day after day now moulders underground.' Second, prayer for the departed can assuage whatever sufferings they may undergo in preparation for the beatific vision, but cannot affect the ultimate fate of the individual given at the particular judgement immediately after death (the success of Pope S. Gregory the Great in releasing the emperor Trajan from hell is the exception that proves the rule here). So it is redundant to pray that people might rise 'in glory', when that judgement is already settled.

Brilliant - please post more often if you can find the time. What I have read of yours, elsewhere, has the sort of insight we need here.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

I would still be interested to know when and how the phrase entered Anglican (liturgical) vocabulary.

In the earlier earlier discussion we found some examples from C18 and C19 gravestones, but no memory of it being used as a vestry prayer (or whatever) until the 1970s.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016