homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » London calling - the church is still growing

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: London calling - the church is still growing
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Overall numbers of church goers in London, still going up.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So why is this happening in London, and not in other C of E dioceses? (If, in fact, that is the case).

There does seem to be some (anecdotal?) evidence that, indeed, Anglican churches in London - or, at least, the evangelical and A-C ones! - are doing well.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is an intriguing question - possibly immigration related? Also the amount of cathedral and other 'landmark' churches in London probably helps...

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
So why is this happening in London, and not in other C of E dioceses? (If, in fact, that is the case).

There does seem to be some (anecdotal?) evidence that, indeed, Anglican churches in London - or, at least, the evangelical and A-C ones! - are doing well.

Ian J.

Not just evangelical parishes. There are a lot of Anglo-Catholic parishes in North London that had tiny congregations that have increased ten-fold.

Two recent examples - I was at St Mary Primrose Hill a few weeks ago, the church was full and the stewards even had to put out extra chairs. At Holy Trinity Sloane Square if you don't arrive by 11am, you have to sit in the side chapel (and this is a big church.

And weekday worship is much more popular too - we regulary get 30 plus at our Wednesday evening communion service.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ian J.

My apologies Ian - I see you mentioned A-C churches too in your original post.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do think that London is very different to the rest of the country and that there is a more transient and mobile population ... and transient or marginal communities are often those where church growth takes place.

I think the immigrant thing plays into this, but also the number of people living and working away from the areas they grew up in. People need community and churches can provide that.

I'm not suggesting that these are the only reasons and that God doesn't have anything to do with it, of course.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Peter Brierley large churches are increasingly important to church attendance. The largest churches in his list (1000 - 10,000 attenders each), which account for 5% of all churches in England, account for one third of all churchgoers in the country. The larger the church the greater the likelihood that it's a growing church, that young people attend, and that there will be a significant proportion of ethnic minorities.

All of these factors benefit London churches, because most of the country's biggest churches are in London. London is the most multicultural city in the UK, and it's the quintessential young person's city. In fact, nearly 60% of all English churchgoers in their twenties are going to church in London. This means that people in their twenties must be seriously underrepresented in churches outside London, but it also means that young people and young parents in London can more easily find churches where they'll find people of the same age range, and where their concerns might be listened to.

Large churches, whatever we think of them, have the resources, the energy, the manpower and the diversity that keep people interested and that potentially attract new people. That seems to be Brierley's message, anyway.

http://www.lausanneworldpulse.com/perspectives.php/1109?pg=all

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/a.wind.of.change.at.pentecost/10954.htm

[ 05. July 2013, 19:00: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The evidence in the article points towards the growth coming primarily from London's immigrant population.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
In fact, nearly 60% of all English churchgoers in their twenties are going to church in London.

Ooh, what an interesting little fact... I wonder how many of all English 20-29 year olds live in London, 20-30%

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
In fact, nearly 60% of all English churchgoers in their twenties are going to church in London.

Ooh, what an interesting little fact... I wonder how many of all English 20-29 year olds live in London, 20-30%
21% in 2001 according to the census.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The serious under-representation of that age group outside of London is a major concern.

On the 'big church' thing. 'Big' is relative. Hereabouts, a church of around 80-100 people would be considered large.

But in microcosm terms, it is certainly the larger churches around here that are doing the best in terms of attracting new people and keeping youth work going etc. So, whilst the numbers are different, Brierley's principle might hold outside London too, albeit on a much smaller scale.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The statistics in this part of the article:

quote:
◾Although 67% considered themselves Christian and 63% wanted Christianity to have a special place in the country, just 13% believed Christianity to be the only true religion, and 53% argued that Christians should not try to convert people, preferring to put pluralism above dogma – the lowest scores for Christian belief were for statements about the literal truth of scripture
probably would be very different in other countries. Is it true for the apparently-growing evangelical wing?

It does show that living in a multi-cultural setting affects one's view, either into fear (UKIP/BNP) or acceptance of the reality around one. The same effect colours attitudes to SSM - people who actually know out gay people are less likely to have problems with this.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
The serious under-representation of that age group outside of London is a major concern.

On the 'big church' thing. 'Big' is relative. Hereabouts, a church of around 80-100 people would be considered large.

But in microcosm terms, it is certainly the larger churches around here that are doing the best in terms of attracting new people and keeping youth work going etc. So, whilst the numbers are different, Brierley's principle might hold outside London too, albeit on a much smaller scale.

IME that is the case too, and it's not just con-evo places.

I would imagine that university towns do well.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is perfectly logical that the larger churches (whatever that looks like in your context) are able to attract more people. They are more likely to have a mix of ages and it is very hard to be both new to the church generally and the only person in your age range/social situation.

Also a group large enough to sneak in and out discreetly on initial visits is helpful and the congregation of 10-20 tend to notice a visitor!

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yes, I think all that is true and that it's true that university towns are doing better than those without ... although it's hard to find a sizeable town without a university these days!

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
The statistics in this part of the article:

quote:
◾Although 67% considered themselves Christian and 63% wanted Christianity to have a special place in the country, just 13% believed Christianity to be the only true religion, and 53% argued that Christians should not try to convert people, preferring to put pluralism above dogma – the lowest scores for Christian belief were for statements about the literal truth of scripture
probably would be very different in other countries. Is it true for the apparently-growing evangelical wing?

It does show that living in a multi-cultural setting affects one's view, either into fear (UKIP/BNP) or acceptance of the reality around one. The same effect colours attitudes to SSM - people who actually know out gay people are less likely to have problems with this.

These stats come from questionnaires completed by '1,151 attenders, of whom 460 were categorized as occasional churchgoers (attending less than six times a year)'. The services in question were 'two evening carol services in Worcester cathedral in 2009 and one afternoon and one evening carol service in Lichfield cathedral in 2010.' Some of these attenders might have been evangelicals, but many would have been 'ordinary' English people, some churchgoers and some not, turning up for a traditional Christmas service. The responses highlighted above and in the link don't look very 'evangelical' to me.

Coming from the West Midlands myself I should also say that Worcester and Lichfield aren't all that 'multi-cultural' compared to other parts of the region.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ian J.

You might want to check the figures for Exeter Diocese.

How much are the London statistics influenced by the fact that many people who move to London are already Christians and Churchgoers, I wonder?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

How much are the London statistics influenced by the fact that many people who move to London are already Christians and Churchgoers, I wonder?

I imagine that London churches benefit from the fact that Christians, like other people, have always had to move to London for their careers. Leaving aside various regional circumstances, churches elsewhere in the country probably haven't benefited so much in recent times from large numbers of people regularly moving in and potentially looking for a church to attend.

In fact, looked at this way the growth of churches in London must be occurring partly at the expense of churches elsewhere in the country, which is hardly a good thing to hear if you're a Christian in the provinces!

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

- Posted      Profile for DouglasTheOtter   Author's homepage   Email DouglasTheOtter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half full, half empty.

--------------------
Need writing or copywriting? Visit me at...

www.rjpmedia.net

Posts: 171 | From: Twickenham | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing that gets people to the church is that some schools check they are are at church and so they take the children. The children meet on morning services and that means many parents go to church with them.

Another thing that I reckon can't be useful to get more people, is that quite a lot of churches do not have Sunday evening services - though quite a few do have that,

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
One thing that gets people to the church is that some schools check they are are at church and so they take the children. The children meet on morning services and that means many parents go to church with them.

Are you talking about the cases where children have to go to church in order to get into particular day schools? If so, then I agree that this probably has an impact as well. Whenever I hear of parents taking their children to an Anglican church for this reason it's usually a story about London. It's never about Wolverhampton or Sheffield, or some such place!

quote:

Another thing that I reckon can't be useful to get more people, is that quite a lot of churches do not have Sunday evening services - though quite a few do have that.

Yet most churches that used to have Sunday evening services found that these were poorly attended. That's why relatively few churches have them now.

[ 08. July 2013, 18:25: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:

Are you talking about the cases where children have to go to church in order to get into particular day schools? If so, then I agree that this probably has an impact as well. Whenever I hear of parents taking their children to an Anglican church for this reason it's usually a story about London. It's never about Wolverhampton or Sheffield, or some such place!

quote:

Another thing that I reckon can't be useful to get more people, is that quite a lot of churches do not have Sunday evening services - though quite a few do have that.

Yet most churches that used to have Sunday evening services found that these were poorly attended. That's why relatively few churches have them now.

Yes, children and their parents have to go to church to get into the school which is CofE school.
We had at least 40 people at our evening services, and it went down to 20 after a while, and the morning was big and it went smaller and now it's got bigger and bigger again.

[ 09. July 2013, 00:45: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

I imagine that London churches benefit from the fact that Christians, like other people, have always had to move to London for their careers. Leaving aside various regional circumstances, churches elsewhere in the country probably haven't benefited so much in recent times from large numbers of people regularly moving in and potentially looking for a church to attend.

In fact, looked at this way the growth of churches in London must be occurring partly at the expense of churches elsewhere in the country, which is hardly a good thing to hear if you're a Christian in the provinces!

Generally, not only is it only true to say that what is true of That London is not true of the rest of the country (I hate the term "the provinces" like most of the country is just outliers), it's often true to say that what is true of That London is precisely what is not true of the country as a whole.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016