homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Peradventure there shall Leo be found there (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Peradventure there shall Leo be found there
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
The answers were directly to Chesterbelloc above and to another of his in Eccles.

He seems to be obsessed with issues of authority (presumably because he hasn't internalised his yet and needs others to tell him what to think).

Well ISTM that you missed Chesterbelloc's point. It's one thing to avoid suggesting someone reconnects with a church which they find to be toxic, it's a very different thing to suggest, as you appear to be doing, that they connect with Buddhism instead, unless, perhaps, they are coming to you as an interfaith spiritual director.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's like a salesman who doesn't believe in his own product.

I suppose there could be some cunning reverse psychology involved: wow, this guy is HONEST! I can obviously believe him, he's sincere!

And then as the next step you've signed them up to donate to your personal side venture. Very clever.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The issue of toxic church is endorsed by the Jesuit with a doctorate and many highly regarded university and cathedral posts under his belt - yet you know better as a recently converted RC.

The qualifications for SD vary - in my case a two-year course.

I am with my guru, Fr. Ken Leech,

quote:
He seems to be obsessed with issues of authority (presumably because he hasn't internalised his yet and needs others to tell him what to think).

Projection, m'lud!

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It's also an old-fashioned belief in teaching he's modelling here: that the students are empty vessels to be filled with the teacher's knowledge, not people to be enabled to access knowledge and understanding as the current OFSTED guidelines would suggest.

Paolo? Is that you?

quote:
You seem very threatened by ideas that are new to you and very dogmatic about what you consider to be the truth.

The irony! it burns! AUGHAUGHAUGH!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Plique-à-jour:
quote:
The issue of toxic church is endorsed by the Jesuit with a doctorate and many highly regarded university and cathedral posts under his belt - yet you know better as a recently converted RC.

quote:

Projection, m'lud!

Exactly. And it's as ironic as the post mousethief notes, as leo is forever treating the rest of us as students at his feet in need of his authoritative instruction.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]I am with my guru, Fr. Ken Leech, in regarding any SD who charges a fee as being 'a charlatan'.

Mmmmm I wonder what Ken Leech thinks of you especially your use of "guru?"

Ken Leech has always taken strenuous steps to avoid this kind of hero worship - sadly, in your case the spiritual direction hasn't worked, has it?

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]

1. Why do you regard Jesuits as 'dodgy'? Do you not accept the authority of the current, Jesuit, Pope?

2. The issue of toxic church is endorsed by the Jesuit with a doctorate and many highly regarded university and cathedral posts under his belt -

1. Well, like other people, some of them are. It all depends on what they're writing about. Dodgy inherently? Nope.

2. We're not impressed by you parading your latest reading list, Leo.

3. Get out of role and off your high horse for once. Stop playing teacher and some people might actually listen. Goodness only knows what your sermons must be like but perhaps they resonate with the intelligentsia and the many PhD's (as you have told us before) in your church.

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
I'm surprised he didn't recommend Islam, as they also seem to be able to do no wrong in his eyes.

He seems to be able to see fault only in Christianity, I often wonder why he doesn't convert to a different religion?

He's a devout Marxist, and wouldn't convert to any religion that would accept him as an adherent.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

I suppose there could be some cunning reverse psychology involved: wow, this guy is HONEST! I can obviously believe him, he's sincere!

And then as the next step you've signed them up to donate to your personal side venture. Very clever.

SD is not about a product.

It is non-directive, a listening ministry which seeks to avoid asking leading questions or short-circuiting the directee coming to her own conclusions.

Spirituality as a product is something I associate with evangelical mega-churches.

[ 23. September 2013, 18:24: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
[QUOTE]I am with my guru, Fr. Ken Leech, in regarding any SD who charges a fee as being 'a charlatan'.

Ken Leech has always taken strenuous steps to avoid this kind of hero worship - sadly, in your case the spiritual direction hasn't worked, has it?

You are taking a word (guru) too literally. I have known Ken for many years and know exactly where he stands on that.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are taking a word (guru) too literally. I have known Ken for many years and know exactly where he stands on that.
This may come as news to you leo, but you can't rely on your own understanding of a word, unless you want to be regarded as some kind of Humpty Dumpty.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
The answers were directly to Chesterbelloc above and to another of his in Eccles.

Well ISTM that you missed Chesterbelloc's point. It's one thing to avoid suggesting someone reconnects with a church which they find to be toxic, it's a very different thing to suggest, as you appear to be doing, that they connect with Buddhism instead, unless, perhaps, they are coming to you as an interfaith spiritual director.
SDs don't 'suggest' - they might resource and they/we certainly work in an interfaith 'market.

I have dealt with quite a few who already go to Buddhist meditation sessions alongside or instead of church.

The original toxic thing in the Eccles. thread was in response to St. Bacchus's assertion that church wasn't toxic for gays. I later discovered that he's in his 20s. It certainly is the case that many churches other than conevo ones turn a blind eye to official church teaching but most people who seek SD are in the second half of life. For many, if not most of them, things were very different in their formative years and many still bear the scars.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]

1. Why do you regard Jesuits as 'dodgy'? Do you not accept the authority of the current, Jesuit, Pope?

2. The issue of toxic church is endorsed by the Jesuit with a doctorate and many highly regarded university and cathedral posts under his belt -

1. Well, like other people, some of them are. It all depends on what they're writing about. Dodgy inherently? Nope.

2. We're not impressed by you parading your latest reading list, Leo.

3. Get out of role and off your high horse for once. Stop playing teacher and some people might actually listen. Goodness only knows what your sermons must be like but perhaps they resonate with the intelligentsia and the many PhD's (as you have told us before) in your church.

You can read many of them in my two blogs and decide for yourself. The fact that they are mostly preached in a university chaplaincy church doesn't mean that they have to be academic papers. Indeed, preaching is not the same as delivering a paper.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Plique-à-jour:
quote:

quote:

Projection, m'lud!

Of course, projection works both ways. Every time Chesterbelloc weighs into Hell 'against' me, on four separate occasions, regardless of the topic, he has the same concern, that i am somehow damaging vulnerable people. Apart from that being unfounded, I might wonder what projection is going on from him, what his vulnerabilities are etc.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
It's not so much the tone of statements presented as 'fact' that irritate me, it's the merciless mauling you get when you say something he thinks is not correct. As an example, a year or two ago he was going on about CCJ (Council for Christians and Jews) and as a passing comment I relating my interactions (as someone who was trying to co-ordinate a city group in the UK) at the moment when the dialogue was being opened up to Islam and the debates initiated regarding the change of name to Council for Christians, Muslims and Jews. (see here ; the last point in 'recent activities').

The link you provided is not about CCJ. it is about ICCJ - in my opinion a far more exciting and dynamic organisation, but not CCJ.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It's also an old-fashioned belief in teaching he's modelling here: that the students are empty vessels to be filled with the teacher's knowledge, not people to be enabled to access knowledge and understanding as the current OFSTED guidelines would suggest.

If that were true, then i would have been unable to teach secondary. Level 4 (average 11yo) tends to be about 'facts'. Anything beyond that - up to Level 8 and EP required pupils/students to think for themselves and evaluate.

If you look back on any education discussions on The Ship. people like Marvyn the Martian accused me of NOT being interested enough in facts.

Sadly, Michael Gove is seeking to return to facts - anyone who has read my posts where he is concerned knows that I hate that man with a vengeance (and feel slightly guilty about 'hating' anyone!)

--------------------

Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, projection works both ways. Every time Chesterbelloc weighs into Hell 'against' me, on four separate occasions, regardless of the topic, he has the same concern, that i am somehow damaging vulnerable people. Apart from that being unfounded, I might wonder what projection is going on from him, what his vulnerabilities are etc.

I suspect you didn't intend how you're making yourself sound with this paragraph. Putting aside your not quite getting the concept of projection, your reaction to his concerns here leads me to share them.

[ 23. September 2013, 20:14: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It is non-directive, a listening ministry which seeks to avoid asking leading questions or short-circuiting the directee coming to her own conclusions.

Spirituality as a product is something I associate with evangelical mega-churches.

If it's non-directive, I suggest you stop directing people to avoid the church and be Buddhist.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Pommie Mick
Shipmate
# 12794

- Posted      Profile for Pommie Mick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiritual direction is non-directive? That makes sense.
Posts: 185 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, it's assistive.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Leo:

quote:

....non-directive, a listening ministry which seeks to avoid asking leading questions or short-circuiting the directee coming to her own conclusions....

You're quoting this from 'A Ruach Journey' I presume? At least you have learnt from past mistakes in quoting verbatim.

quote:

I have dealt with quite a few who already go to Buddhist meditation sessions alongside or instead of church.

...and they haven't discovered yet what the majority opinion among Buddhists is in regard to homosexuality; let alone the place of women?

quote:

The link you provided is not about CCJ. it is about ICCJ - in my opinion a far more exciting and dynamic organisation, but not CCJ.

ICCJ is the umbrella organisation, you twit; of which CCJ is a member. Yet again you demonstrate your ignorance.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
We're not impressed by you parading your latest reading list, Leo.

It wasn't there to impress you or anyone else. it was to show chesterbelloc that the RCC has a wider viewepoint than his very narrow knowledge as a recent convent.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
You're quoting this from 'A Ruach Journey' I presume?

...and they haven't discovered yet what the majority opinion among Buddhists is in regard to homosexuality; let alone the place of women?

ICCJ is the umbrella organisation, you twit; of which CCJ is a member. Yet again you demonstrate your ignorance.

Never heard of ruach... so not quoting it. Could, of course, be that we are both quoting the concensus view.

FWBO is pro-LGBT and pro-women - 'The majority' of Buddhists may be homophobic, just as the majority of Christians are homophobic.

The ref. to ICCJ was about some link you'd posted i which you said something about its policy. CCj may be affiliated but its own policies come from its own executive and constitution. On the issue that you were going on about, CCJ does not agree with ICCJ

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Pommie Mick:
Spiritual direction is non-directive? That makes sense.

Most SDs dislike the word 'direction' (its origins being from a different age before modern psychological understandings) and prefer 'spiritual companion', 'guide', 'soul friend.'

The move back to direction in evangelical circles is 'mentoring' and 'coaching', which many of us think is damaging.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm late to the party. But from the last ten posts or so it looks like:

leo 1000

the rest of you losers 0

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
quote:

If it's non-directive, I suggest you stop directing people to avoid the church and be Buddhist.
That's like encouraging an abused wife to stay in her marriage.

Plus it IS non-directive but SDs are also resource persons who can point directees to consider directions/paths they previously hadn't considered.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Someone counselling an abused wife might say 'you should leave your husband'. But I doubt they'd then say 'you should then shack up with Mr Dharma down the road.'
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who is also known to beat his female companions from time to time. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

leo. Chesterbelloc is secretly, painfully and desperately in love with you. Haven't you figured that out yet?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

leo. Chesterbelloc is secretly, painfully and desperately in love with you. Haven't you figured that out yet?
LOL - bit too immature, dogmatic and right-wing for me. His avatar is quite repellent too.
I think you're more my type bit distance relationships are hard to sustain. [Big Grin]

[ 24. September 2013, 13:45: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, projection works both ways.

Not really, Leo.

Transference can work both ways, with transference and counter transference causing all sorts of complications.

Projection is a one way street.

It is possible for more than one person can engage in projection at one time, and for each to project his or her own inadequacies onto the other, but this does not make it a two way street.

Imo, to be a good spiritual director to anyone, it is very important to be aware of one's own inadequacies, one's own issues first, and to be particularly careful not to project them away. A good SD needs to be aware of, and own his or her own problems.

A professional (by which I mean competent) response to comments about shortcomings would be to consider how valid they might be. A less satisfactory response is to say you are not perfect either.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is projection a one-way street? I would say that two people always make unconscious projections on each other. Normally, it's not a problem, and can in fact facilitate intimacy.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Why is projection a one-way street? I would say that two people always make unconscious projections on each other. Normally, it's not a problem, and can in fact facilitate intimacy.

I am not sure what you are describing, but it is not projection, imo.

Projection involves my putting that which is inadequate within me onto you, and despising you for it. It is about problems with the self, and it is not done consciously.

It is also not a normal feature of relationships; we do not all go around projecting on one another all the time. It is a highly dysfunctional behaviour, and it does not facilitate intimacy, it is always abusive.

It is possible for more than one person to engage in this behaviour at once, but each person is responding to what is within themselves. It is nothing to do with the other person at all; they are very much a blank or unknown, upon which the failings are projected. Intimacy calls for a certain mutual knowledge of the other. Projection does not allow for intimacy at all.

Transference is to do with the other person, and it can bounce back and forth; it is far more complex. When you get an interplay of complicated mixing of relationships, it is far more likely to be transference than simply projection.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
Imo, to be a good spiritual director to anyone, it is very important to be aware of one's own inadequacies, one's own issues first, and to be particularly careful not to project them away. A good SD needs to be aware of, and own his or her own problems.

Totally agree, which is why SDs have to be in direction, should have done a 40 day retreat and, ideally, psychotherapy.

--------------------

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

leo 1000

the rest of you losers 0

Now that we've talled the word count, how about a score for post quality?

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
I'm surprised he didn't recommend Islam, as they also seem to be able to do no wrong in his eyes.

He seems to be able to see fault only in Christianity, I often wonder why he doesn't convert to a different religion?

He's a devout Marxist, and wouldn't convert to any religion that would accept him as an adherent.
And the church may be a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution? [Biased]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

leo 1000

the rest of you losers 0

Oh, look, Evensong is sticking up for the underdog without really understanding what's going on. Must be a day ending in Y. No homework tonight then?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SDs have to be in direction, should have done a 40 day retreat and, ideally, psychotherapy.

The last two are quite difficult to achieve in practice, for people with busy lives and/or family responsibilities, not to mention lack of funds. It would rule out me and most of my colleagues in our SD team.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

I am not sure what you are describing, but it is not projection, imo.

Projection involves my putting that which is inadequate within me onto you, and despising you for it. It is about problems with the self, and it is not done consciously.

It is also not a normal feature of relationships; we do not all go around projecting on one another all the time. It is a highly dysfunctional behaviour, and it does not facilitate intimacy, it is always abusive.

It is possible for more than one person to engage in this behaviour at once, but each person is responding to what is within themselves. It is nothing to do with the other person at all; they are very much a blank or unknown, upon which the failings are projected. Intimacy calls for a certain mutual knowledge of the other. Projection does not allow for intimacy at all.

Transference is to do with the other person, and it can bounce back and forth; it is far more complex. When you get an interplay of complicated mixing of relationships, it is far more likely to be transference than simply projection.

Well, we are obviously using the term in different ways. I was trained in psychoanalytic therapy, and the term 'projection' is also used of positive things, which leads to idealization. Hence, falling in love often involves huge amounts of mutual projection, which is actually very beneficial. Eventually, these projections fade, and then the real challenges begin. Basically, the stuff which you admire in others, can be withdrawn, and owned by oneself.

Of course, in therapy, some clients make massive idealizations of their therapists, and others make massive negative projections.

However, we are going o/t.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
I saw a little bit of this year's Pride march in London. I remember seeing some gay Christian groups and a Moslem group marching. Don't remember seeing any Buddhists though...

Next year, look out for our flag and tick your I-Spy book.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
FWBO is pro-LGBT and pro-women - 'The majority' of Buddhists may be homophobic, just as the majority of Christians are homophobic.

In other words, your suggestion to avoid the church and try Buddhism is poorly thought out.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
No homework tonight then?

Lots. But I"m tired of being a good girl. I figured my gargantuan halo needed a bit of tarnishing so I headed for the ship.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
[QUOTE]I"m tired of being a good girl.

Were you ever? Now that must have been interesting: perfection!
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

leo 1000

the rest of you losers 0

Oh, look, Evensong is sticking up for the underdog without really understanding what's going on. Must be a day ending in Y. No homework tonight then?
There ought to be a version of Godwin's Law about it, but I can't work out which way it should be formulated:

"As the number of posts Evensong makes in support of someone in Hell increases, the probability of that person being a tedious waste of space, entirely deserving of a Hell call approaches 1"

or

"As a Hell call grows longer, the probability of Evensong turning up to provide clueless misguided cheerleading for whoever she perceives as the underdog approaches 1"

As far as I can see, both are valid. Maybe in the interests of the Hellhosts' sanity, we could adopt and adapt the old Usenet tradition, and say that whenever Evensong posts in support of someone in Hell, the thread is instantly over, and that person loses the argument.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In your analogy, I assume the abusive husband is the homophobic church you refer to. But where is Jesus, the person, in your analogy?

Jesus is the woman's home and it is her abusive husband who should be evicted and placed under a restraining order.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Maybe in the interests of the Hellhosts' sanity, we could adopt and adapt the old Usenet tradition, and say that whenever Evensong posts in support of someone in Hell, the thread is instantly over, and that person loses the argument.

That's a brilliant idea! [Yipee]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]I"m tired of being a good girl.

Were you ever? Now that must have been interesting: perfection!
Perfection thy name is Evensong?

I'm up with that. Seems legit.

[ 25. September 2013, 14:34: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
In your analogy, I assume the abusive husband is the homophobic church you refer to. But where is Jesus, the person, in your analogy?

Jesus is the woman's home and it is her abusive husband who should be evicted and placed under a restraining order.

Yes but if the husband is squatting in the marital home and refusing eviction, it is only sensible to provide a safe refuge for the abused wife.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
SDs have to be in direction, should have done a 40 day retreat and, ideally, psychotherapy.

The last two are quite difficult to achieve in practice, for people with busy lives and/or family responsibilities, not to mention lack of funds. It would rule out me and most of my colleagues in our SD team.
To put the record straight, different SD courses have different entrance requirements but I suspect all are flexible and are more concerned with the life experience and maturity of the applicant than with rules.

Our course accepted, as a substitute for the big 40 days, a 9 day Ignatian retreat topped up by a 19th Annotation Retreat done at home, in the midst of ordinary life, over 30 days with a director. (You get a day off! - and it costs less.)

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

On past experience, the time will soon come before this thread descends into various people slagging each other off without any reference to the OP.

Before it does, I note that the two people who seek to rubbish all that I stand for, S. Bacchus and Chesterbelloc, seem to have been too cowardly to respond to my refutations of what they say. They probably haven't even read them because they may have moved on to rubbish someone else.

[ 25. September 2013, 18:28: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016