homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Idiosyncratic Hymn Tunes (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Idiosyncratic Hymn Tunes
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else had that feeling that a certain tune *is* a hymn, but no-one else seems to know it?

For me, the most extreme example is FRANCK (as in Peter, the one that is 7.7.7.7), which I think is "For the Beauty of the Earth". After someone pointed out to me that that hymn is generally sung to DIX (which for me is so strongly "As with Gladness" that I think it's weird using that tune other than on the Epiphany), I checked a pile of hymnals, and only one even had FRANCK.

Anyone else run into similar issues?

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess that at first glance, I thought that this thread was to be about idiotic hymns... [Killing me]
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every single URC has its own set of "correct" hymn tunes for hymns. There is a lot of overlap, but there are always to idiosyncratic choices.

I blame the metrical psalms for this.

Actually has an odd effect. Although I have sung traditional hymns far more often than choruses. If a hymn has a variety of tunes that different congregations use, I have difficulty recalling any tune for that hymn. I do not have this problem with modern praise songs as they only have one tune.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have real problems with tunes in our church. It is both Baptist and URC, and the URC elements are both Presbyterian (with a strong Scottish emphasis) and Congregational. The organist is a historic Congregationalist.

There are frequent debates about what the "correct" tune is - sometimes decided by which of our three books we are using on a particular day. Some folk will say that "such and such" is the "only possible" tune while others will claim that it is unknown.

As far as "For the beauty of the earth" is concerned, we usually use "England's Lane" but have been known to have "Dix" or "Lucerna Laudionae".

Our organist likes "Duke Street" for "Jesus shall reign" - to me it is always "Fight the good fight". My Anglican heritage sets "Jesus shall reign" to "Truro", while many Baptists go for "Rimington".

And don't even start on the three possible tunes to "Love divine" or the four for "O Jesus, I have promised" ....

[ 03. September 2013, 20:11: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
England's Lane is clearly the only correct tune for "For the beauty of the Earth". [Two face]

Idiosyncratic is when you sing ATB&B to the tune of Puff the Magic Dragon.

Moving north has introduced me to the delights of "I heard the voice of Jesus say" sung to Rowan Tree rather than Kingsfold, and yet another tune for "Just as I am".

Being unobservant, for many years the Passion Chorale was just the tune for "We come as guests invited", and it was only when someone pointed it out that I realised the association with Passiontide and "O Sacred head sore wounded".

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four tunes for Praise to the holiest too.

As for Let all the world in every corner sing I know that one is meant to prefer Luckington but I have a hankering for Universal Praise (as in the old EH).

My finest hour (!) as a young organist was arriving to play for a neighbouring parish: asked the vicar which tunes they used and he replied "we always sing the best".

So I played all five hymns to tunes other than those either he or the choir were expecting.

Nice man - I still got the fee [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Our organist likes "Duke Street" for "Jesus shall reign" - to me it is always "Fight the good fight".

I tried fighting the good fight for SHEPTON-BEAUCHAMP earlier this year. Apparently I was idiosyncratic for that one too.

quote:
And don't even start on the three possible tunes to "Love divine" or the four for "O Jesus, I have promised" ....

So that's:
a) three of the correct [Smile] tune MORIAH, the popular tune BLAENWERN, the High-Churchy LOVE DIVINE (Stainer), and that weird American tune BEECHER
b) four of the guilty pleasure HATHEROP CASTLE, the boring WOLVERCOTE, the slightly too American ANGELS' STORY, the sadly-neglected ARCADELT and OFFERTORIUM, and the only tune some vicars know in that meter THORNBURY.

Which all goes to show that some hymns have far too many tunes...

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

CHORUS ANGELORUM, RICHMOND, BILLING, and (???) HACKNEY (ST MARY'S)?

quote:
My finest hour (!) as a young organist was arriving to play for a neighbouring parish: asked the vicar which tunes they used and he replied "we always sing the best".

So I played all five hymns to tunes other than those either he or the choir were expecting.

I'm sure if anyone would pay me to abuse a poor organ, similar results would ensue.

--------------------

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
and yet another tune for "Just as I am".

Any idea which one? AGNUS DEI? TANYMANOD?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Moving north has introduced me to the delights of "I heard the voice of Jesus say" sung to Rowan Tree rather than Kingsfold.

No, no: "Vox Dilecti"!!!

quote:

Being unobservant, for many years the Passion Chorale was just the tune for "We come as guests invited".

What about "Sally Garden"?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
perein

Other tune for Praise to the Holiest is Gerontius

On YouTube there is a particularly grisly version (organist wearing boxing gloves) being played on the organ at Oystermouth.

Couple of years ago was subbing for a mate and the PP asked for "something different" if possible for that evening's hymns: treated them to the delights of the pink-covered 20th Century Hymns (published 1958) tune for Through all the changing scenes of life - its in beguine tempo.. [Snigger] It grows on you ...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
quote:
And don't even start on ... the four for "O Jesus, I have promised" ....

So that's:
The guilty pleasure HATHEROP CASTLE, the boring WOLVERCOTE, the slightly too American ANGELS' STORY, the sadly-neglected ARCADELT and OFFERTORIUM, and the only tune some vicars know in that meter THORNBURY.

You forgot "Day of Rest" (I don't know three of the ones you do mention!)
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

CHORUS ANGELORUM, RICHMOND, BILLING, and (???) HACKNEY (ST MARY'S)?

It is common meter, how many do you want?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As for Let all the world in every corner sing I know that one is meant to prefer Luckington but I have a hankering for Universal Praise (as in the old EH).

Way back in the days of the Hymnal 1940 I was subbing for a colleague one Sunday. (As many of you know, in that hymnal the numbers referred to the texts, so that a hymn with 2 tunes had both numbered the same.)
Anyway, this particular parish did not list tune names in the service leaflet; there was no choir that August Sunday; and the rector was nowhere to be found before the service began.
Came the hymn before the sermon (don't now recall what it was). I played through the first tune for an intro, and the rector from on high in the pulpit, turned and said loudly 'We sing the other tune here.' So I turned the page and played the other tune, but they didn't sing (much if at all).
(I got my fee, too!)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Our organist likes "Duke Street" for "Jesus shall reign" - to me it is always "Fight the good fight".

I tried fighting the good fight for SHEPTON-BEAUCHAMP earlier this year. Apparently I was idiosyncratic for that one too.

quote:

So that's:
a) three of the correct [Smile] tune MORIAH, the popular tune BLAENWERN, the High-Churchy LOVE DIVINE (Stainer), and that weird American tune BEECHER
b) four of the guilty pleasure HATHEROP CASTLE, the boring WOLVERCOTE, the slightly too American ANGELS' STORY, the sadly-neglected ARCADELT and OFFERTORIUM, and the only tune some vicars know in that meter THORNBURY.

BEECHER isn't weird, particularly, but it belongs to 'There's a Wideness in God's Mercy.' 'Love Divine for USA Episcopalians has to be HYFRYDOL, lest someone think your a Methodist!

--------------------

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Quite. A bit like last Sunday when we had five well known tunes - Sandys (as in 'Teach me my God and King'); Melcombe (as in 'New every morning'); Repton (as in 'Dear Lord and Father'); Rockingham (as in 'When I survey') and Woodlands (as in 'Lift up your hearts') all to different words. The organist afterwards muttered that he felt as if he had just been in an episode of 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' ...
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we allowed to comment on hymn tunes that have the wrong words put to them?

Just this Sunday gone our recessional was... something or other sung to the tune of 'He who would valiant be'. It was very strange, having to sing some modern lyrics with refrains along the lines of 'We are God's people' when I wanted to belt out 'To be a pilgrim'.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There exist some books of hymn texts that intentionally pair new texts to old hymn tunes.

Songs for the Cycle is one example, available through Church Publishing. There is a text for each of the Gospels of the 3-year cycle, paired with a 'familiar' hymn tune. (Of course, 'familiar' to one doesn't mean 'familiar' to all!)

A Hymn Tune Psalter offers Psalms set to common hymn tunes.

In my experience, many of the common pewfolk prefer this to having to learn a new tune every Sunday.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
perein

Oh yuck, *that* tune. Makes me almost want to stop trying to persuade people to ditch the other two for Chorus Angelorum. (The thoroughly obscure no-one's sung it to that tune for at least a century Hackney suits the "And in the garden secretly" verse rather nicely though — it wasn't a totally random CM tune!)

quote:
Couple of years ago was subbing for a mate and the PP asked for "something different" if possible for that evening's hymns: treated them to the delights of the pink-covered 20th Century Hymns (published 1958) tune for Through all the changing scenes of life - its in beguine tempo.. [Snigger] It grows on you ...

You know I've just been downstairs bashing through some of the Church Light Music Group's finest now, don't you? [Smile] (Thank goodness for digital pianos!)

--------------------

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Are we allowed to comment on hymn tunes that have the wrong words put to them?

Yeah, although most of the time in my experience that is people trying to find English words to fit PANTYFEDWEN or BRYN MYRDDIN or one of those slightly too Welsh tunes.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
perein

Oh, Lord in heaven, no.

The best tune for that is Newman.

[ 03. September 2013, 23:25: Message edited by: Fr Weber ]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
BEECHER isn't weird, particularly, but it belongs to 'There's a Wideness in God's Mercy.' 'Love Divine for USA Episcopalians has to be HYFRYDOL, lest someone think your a Methodist!

Whilst I have no particular issue with Hydrofoil, surely it is only to be used when you can't be bothered learning another 8787D tune?
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gracious rebel scratches her head in frustration. [Confused] [Hot and Hormonal] I've been directed to this thread, by someone who knows that I do have thoughts and opinions on hymn tunes. And I am familiar with hundreds if not thousands of tunes. And I probably would be able to hum along to at least half the tunes being discussed here.

My problem is though, that I have an almost complete inability to remember the names of tunes, so I don't have the correct vocabulary to intelligently follow the discussion, let alone contribute. If I could see the sheet music, or hear the tune, I would know what was being discussed, but failing that I think I'd better bow out of this thread!

I've been racking my brains to see which tune names I COULD actually name. I think I am fairly confident about Repton and Blaenworn (sp?), I also confidently know which tune is 'Deep Harmony' (because I specifically learnt it to 'When I Survey' in my youth), and I am sure there must be a few others. But apart from that this discussion may as well be taking place in a foreign language. (Which is really frustrating when I know the hymns and the tunes, just don't have the words to describe them, without humming!)

I wondered if I was unusual in this respect for people who know lots of hymns? [Confused] [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 04. September 2013, 07:58: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

No, It is quite a challenge to find a hymn or tune I do not know, as I have sung so many in so many circumstances.

For me to name them, well I may recognise one or two. However as hymns are not announced in the way:

"No 358, 'When I survey' Eucharist"

Therefore,we learn to recognise the tune by the opening line. Unfortunately, I can not sing a tune from the music so I could not even write the notes out. Give me a piano and a piece of music and I can make a good stab at picking out the melody.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

No, It is quite a challenge to find a hymn or tune I do not know, as I have sung so many in so many circumstances.

For me to name them, well I may recognise one or two. However as hymns are not announced in the way:

"No 358, 'When I survey' Eucharist"

Therefore,we learn to recognise the tune by the opening line. Unfortunately, I can not sing a tune from the music so I could not even write the notes out. Give me a piano and a piece of music and I can make a good stab at picking out the melody.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O For a Thousand Tongues must be sung to AZMON.
Love Divine, All Loves Excelling must be sung to BEECHER.

Of course, Ken (and others) will disagree with me on the first, and georgiaboy already has on the second. [Biased]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I will disagree with both! Clearly there are both Denominational and Pond differences at play here.
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'O Little Town of Bethlehem' is sung to St Louis in the USA but to Forest Green in England. St Louis was written for it and suits the mood better; Forest Green is too jaunty.

'Faith of Our Fathers' is sung to St Catherine in the USA but to Sawston in England. Again, St Catherine wins - but in England that tune is used for 'O Bread of Heaven, on Thee We Feed'.

Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

So that's:

Would somebody please explain to the clergy that Thornbury really only fits "Thy hand O God has guided" - although the metre is that of a large number of hymns, the acclamation in the last line "One Church, one faith, one Lord" has a rhythm which does not occur in any other hymn.
Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moving on to Christmas, "While Shepherds watched their flocks by night" can be sung to any number of tunes. So why do we always have to sing it to Wincehster Old, which is the dreariest tune of Christmas. It is a great pity beacuse the words are a brilliant paraphrase of Luke 2:8 ff.

A few years ago I bought a CD with various other tunes to While Shephers watched, which was a revelation.

The current ediition of The Oxford Book of Carols has a tune called Old Foster, which is apparently still sung in the Sheffield area - it sounds very Handelian. And one of the original tunes for this carol is Cranleigh, which was sung in church long before some Yorkshireman went out on Ilkley Moor without his hat. Lyngham (the best tune for O for a thousand tongues to sing, metioned above) also fits While Shepherds watched.

So please, ask your clergy and organists between now an Christmas, to change their tune.

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
Lyngham (the best tune for O for a thousand tongues to sing, metioned above) ...

Agreed - but very tiring if you sing all nineteen verses!

Just to be awkward, "Rejoice & Sing" perversely sets this to "University".

[ 04. September 2013, 13:33: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This Anglo Catholic likes Lyngham for O for a K tongues.

Only time I've sung it in the last decade was at Walsingham as part of a procession of the Blessed Sacrament.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I will disagree with both! Clearly there are both Denominational and Pond differences at play here.

Me too - in fact I disagree with every assertion/suggestion made by the Americans on this thread, which perhaps just goes to show that familiarity and association are stronger than taste.

There are a number of hymns that are sung to different tunes and I feel a palpable sense of disappointment when the "wrong" one is played.

The one denominational difference that is most common is "Praise to the Holiest" which Anglicans always sing to Gerontius, and Roman Catholics to Newman.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:

Of course, Ken (and others) will disagree with me on the first, and georgiaboy already has on the second. [Biased]

Rank heresy! Azmon is a dirge... Lydia or Lyngham are much better and Love Divine - well Blaenwern or death! [Big Grin]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
Lyngham (the best tune for O for a thousand tongues to sing, metioned above) also fits While Shepherds watched.

[Smile] I got to sing that combination last Christmas. It was wonderful.

quote:
quote:
Lyngham (the best tune for O for a thousand tongues to sing, metioned above) ...

Agreed - but very tiring if you sing all nineteen verses!
I wonder when the last time was that these two verses were sung:

Awake from guilty nature’s sleep,
And Christ shall give you light,
Cast all your sins into the deep,
And wash the Æthiop white.

Harlots and publicans and thieves
In holy triumph join!
Saved is the sinner that believes
From crimes as great as mine.

quote:
Just to be awkward, "Rejoice & Sing" perversely sets this to "University".
And most American hymn books set it to AZMON. And to bring this post full circle, look what I've found...

--------------------

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
Would somebody please explain to the clergy that Thornbury really only fits "Thy hand O God has guided" - although the metre is that of a large number of hymns, the acclamation in the last line "One Church, one faith, one Lord" has a rhythm which does not occur in any other hymn.

[Shudder] "My ma! Stir and! My friend!"

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of O Jesus I have promised, the only alternative tune that I can’t stand is that silly, whoopsy tune which now sounds a hopelessly 60s period piece. I can’t remember the name.

Otherwise I rather enjoy having unfamiliar tunes. But then I don’t take hymns very seriously.

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

Only time I've sung it in the last decade was at Walsingham as part of a procession of the Blessed Sacrament.

Silly me. I didn’t mean O for a K. I meant All hail the pow’r of Jesu’s name to the tune DIADEM.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freudian slip there (Lyngham/ lingua)?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

quote:

Really? Even Mission Praise lists it as the default tune.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clavus:
'O Little Town of Bethlehem' is sung to St Louis in the USA but to Forest Green in England. St Louis was written for it and suits the mood better; Forest Green is too jaunty.

Interesting; this link has several comments from Americans saying they had never heard Forest Green and how much they prefer it. Certainly I wouldn't call FG "jaunty".

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Certainly I wouldn't call FG "jaunty".

Just about anything -- even "O Sacred Head" -- can be made to sound like a jump-rope jingle if the organist chooses to play it that way.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
quote:

Rank heresy! Azmon is a dirge... Lydia or Lyngham are much better and Love Divine - well Blaenwern or death! [Big Grin]
Azmon is NOT a dirge, if you play it correctly!

Although the Hymnal Commission dropped it from the 1982 Hymnal I still like Stracathro for that text.

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
quote:

Azmon is NOT a dirge, if you play it correctly!

Although the Hymnal Commission dropped it from the 1982 Hymnal I still like Stracathro for that text.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
quote:

[Shudder] "My ma! Stir and! My friend!"
I shall never be able to sing that again without giggling.

Just like the "Hallelujahs" of "All creatures of our God and King" after you've seen "Mr. Bean goes to church".

scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Our organist likes "Duke Street" for "Jesus shall reign" - to me it is always "Fight the good fight". My Anglican heritage sets "Jesus shall reign" to "Truro", while many Baptists go for "Rimington".

If you do west gallery you come to associate it with Gibraltar, where it is a standard startup tune alongside Come Sound his Praise Abroad to St Thomas.

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Really? Even Mission Praise lists it as the default tune.
The NEH and Common Praise (Blue AMH) lack Lyngham for some reason - another good West Gallery tune.

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will not sing "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken" to Austria because of its sad association with Nazi Germany. Abbot's Leigh is a splendid alternative.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scuffleball:
The NEH and Common Praise (Blue AMH) lack Lyngham for some reason - another good West Gallery tune.

Though the name always gives me palpitations

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
I will not sing "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken" to Austria because of its sad association with Nazi Germany. Abbot's Leigh is a splendid alternative.

IIRC we've had this one out on these boards before. Suffice it to say that many of us think that as this was the German anthem before the Nazi period and has been since then, and it was written by that most untotalitarian of composers Haydn, it's not a tainted tune.

[ 04. September 2013, 21:09: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by scuffleball:
If you do west gallery you come to associate it with Gibraltar, where it is a standard startup tune alongside Come Sound his Praise Abroad to St Thomas.

As it happens, we may be having "St. Thomas" on Sunday to go with a good new(ish) American hymn "Let justice flow like streams" - to link in with Racial Justice Sunday and Martin Luther King.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016