homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Will there ever be effective gun control in the USA? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Will there ever be effective gun control in the USA?
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cross post

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
1. Universal background checks

So you mean require them when private sellers sell guns? You must as guns from dealers have been Federally registered since Form 4473 came into existence in 1968. And I can tell you from personal experience that failure to properly keep those records is HUGELY frowned on by the BATF and that you don't want to piss those people off.

Do you suppose your suggestion will limit gun crime appreciably? Do statistics support your assertion?

quote:

2. Limit ammo purchases and magazine sizes

Fail.

quote:
3. Eliminate concealed-carry permits
Fail.

quote:
Yeah, well, it's not working. You do know that the purpose of a gun is to infringe on someone's or something's freedom to live, right?
No - could you please explain how my guns infringe on innocent's right to live freely?
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Unfortunately, all the statistics show that your gun is more likely to be used to kill or injure an innocent than to prevent their death or injury.

Well, statistics would, wouldn't they. [Big Grin]

Maybe you could provide examples of laws which would work?

Please? Someone?

Well statistics would, because they accurately describe what happens when someone owns a gun - that it's more likely to be used in a murder, suicide, or accidental shooting than in defending the owner's life, or used by the owner to defend another.

And I genuinely don't know of any laws that would pass on Capitol Hill that would rein in this madness. But you giving up your gun voluntarily would be a start.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I genuinely don't know of any laws that would pass on Capitol Hill that would rein in this madness.

Thank you for stating plainly what has been obvious for decades.

Would that more would... and to Hell with 'liberal' coercion, in all its forms.

quote:
But you giving up your gun voluntarily would be a start.
A start to changing the balance of gun ownership from good guys to bad guys, making the US even more dangerous.

You'll understand why I'll keep mine.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A start to changing the balance of gun ownership from good guys to bad guys, making the US even more dangerous.

You'll understand why I'll keep mine.

I understand perfectly. You are the problem, not the solution.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
1. Universal background checks

So you mean require them when private sellers sell guns?
Let's say you want to sell one of your guns to your neighbour. Do you know if your neighbour has a criminal record? Do you know if s/he has a history of mental illness? Would you even ask? How would you know s/he told you the truth? Would you even care? Or would you assume your neighbour is a "good guy" because, hey, he's your neighbour?

As for statistics, it is very hard to obtain reliable statistics on gun violence. The main reason is that the gun lobby has been very effective in blocking data collection and research for decades. Another reason is the patchwork of federal, state and local laws. The ATF finally has a permanent director after years of congressional stalling. So it is disingenuous for the gun lobby to demand statistics when they simultaneously make every effort to suppress information.

quote:
quote:

Fail.

Please show your reasoning. "I don't like it" isn't reasoning. "It's unconstitutional" is incorrect.

quote:
quote:
Fail.

Again, show your reasoning. Why wouldn't you want to know that the asshole arguing with you is armed?

quote:
No - could you please explain how my guns infringe on innocent's right to live freely?

Your guns, and everyone else's guns, are a public health risk to everyone, including yourself. Just because nothing has gone wrong yet doesn't mean it won't. A great deal of gun violence is unplanned or impulsive. Anything that slows the process of buying a gun, loading it, and shooting it, will save lives.

And I almost completely forgot: the zeroth step to reducing gun violence in the USA would be to legalize and control recreational drugs the same as tobacco and alcohol.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot recommend this paper highly enough:

The Hidden History of the Second Amendment

It is long and dense, but it's totally worth it for its historical insights. The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with self-defense or resisting tyrannical governments. It was written to allow the Southern states to maintain their armed slave patrols - the militia "necessary to the security of a free state" - and also to ensure that the militia would never be called up to fight in another state, leaving the Southern white population defenseless.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
As for statistics, it is very hard to obtain reliable statistics on gun violence.

But of course those we do have indicate my ownership of guns is BAD BAD BAD. [Disappointed]

quote:

You are familiar with this, I suppose?

How well did that work? Would doing essentially the same thing again work better?

quote:
We conclude that Lott and Mustard have made an important scholarly contribution in establishing that these laws have not led to the massive bloodbath of death and injury that some of their opponents feared.

quote:
Your guns, and everyone else's guns, are a public health risk to everyone, including yourself.
My guns, at most, are a public risk to anyone who happens to be in their range which is not quite *koff* everyone. Hyperbole much?

And I'm well trained in their use and care, TYVM, so your scenario is little more than ill-informed scare mongering.

quote:
Anything that slows the process of buying a gun, loading it, and shooting it, will save lives.
Can't remember who posted this originally but it makes a good point: 12 shots using a 6 chamber revolver in under 3 seconds

My own experience with speedloaders back in the day demonstrate Jerry is a bit more skilled than I am. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
And I almost completely forgot: the zeroth step to reducing gun violence in the USA would be to legalize and control recreational drugs the same as tobacco and alcohol.
Amen, sister, and not a minute too soon. May Harry Anslinger rest then.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
My guns, at most, are a public risk to anyone who happens to be in their range which is not quite *koff* everyone. Hyperbole much?

You realise that's like saying "my bomb, is at most, a public risk to anyone who happens to be within its blast area, which is not quite everyone"?

It's not a good argument to use, given the deep penetration of guns within US society. An individual gun - including yours - is a risk to everyone around it - including you. You are not the only one with a gun, so your local situation is replicated somewhere south of 270 million times.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
It's not a good argument to use, given the deep penetration of guns within US society.

You seem quite confident about argument quality.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:
It's not a good argument to use, given the deep penetration of guns within US society.

You seem quite confident about argument quality.
You seem entirely unconcerned.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
... And I'm well trained in their use and care, TYVM, so your scenario is little more than ill-informed scare mongering....

Well-trained, experienced police officers regularly miss their targets and/or hit the wrong targets. That's not a scenario, that's real life.

You probably consider yourself an awesome driver, but I'll bet you still buy insurance, and it would be silly to brag that you will never, ever have an accident because you're so tremendously skilled. So why is your gun different than your car?

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well-trained, experienced police officers regularly miss their targets and/or hit the wrong targets. That's not a scenario, that's real life.

The following is an actual question, not some kind of rhetorical debating point. I am, of course, aware that the police on a fairly regular basis manage to shoot passers-by, houses, and other things that are not their target.

Do you know what kind of training and experience these inaccurate police officers have? Do they train every week, or qualify with their service weapon twice a year?

How do their scores compare to the set of all police officers? Does a higher score on the test correlate with a reduced likelihood of shooting old ladies out shopping, or is it random?

Do any states require CCW holders to take the same test? If so, how do CCW-holders' scores compare to those of police officers?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:

Why would I concern myself with you overstating your case?
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:

Why would I concern myself with you overstating your case?
Call me old-fashioned, but when presented with good evidence that my owning a gun puts mine and my family's lives in greater danger than if I didn't own a gun, it behooves me to at least consider my previous pro-gun attitude.

YMMV.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
The following is an actual question, not some kind of rhetorical debating point. ... Do you know what kind of training and experience these inaccurate police officers have? Do they train every week, or qualify with their service weapon twice a year? ... Do any states require CCW holders to take the same test? If so, how do CCW-holders' scores compare to those of police officers?

Cops *have* to do the training to get the job. They *have* to recertify to keep the job. I`m going to turn the question back at you: find me one jurisdiction in the USA where an ordinary citizen is required to meet the same (or higher) standards to own a gun as a police officer must to keep her or his job. And where if they fail to meet those standards, they have their gun taken away.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Call me old-fashioned, but when presented with good evidence that my owning a gun puts mine and my family's lives in greater danger than if I didn't own a gun, it behooves me to at least consider my previous pro-gun attitude.

YMMV.

I consider that my personal experience with guns trumps your 'good evidence'.

To your credit you have the integrity to acknowledge that further restricting human freedom won't appreciably reduce gun violence in the US.

And Olivia: knock yourself out believing otherwise - I'm sure you'll have your reward.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you know what kind of training and experience these inaccurate police officers have?

Or could it be that they're the best-trained gun users in the general population, and it simply isn't possible for humans in a high-pressure situation (such as, say, one where someone else is shooting at you) to achieve anything like perfect accuracy?

Humans that aren't in a movie, anyway. Dirty Harry or James Bond may never miss, but that's because they've got scriptwriters telling every single bullet they fire exactly where to go. It's scary to think that people might base their knowledge of guns on what happens in the movies, but that often seems to be the case.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:

YMMV.

Well, of course you do. If your personal experience is your father smoked until he was 92, and it didn't do him any harm, you're at perfect liberty to believe that all the epidemiological studies about smoking causing lung cancer, heart disease and strokes are flat wrong.

Like I said. You are the problem. There's a good chance I'll be invited to attend a US SFF convention as a guest of honour in a year or so. I have to decide whether I want to be in the same country as people who think just like you.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
There's a good chance I'll be invited to attend a US SFF convention as a guest of honour in a year or so. I have to decide whether I want to be in the same country as people who think just like you.

Do they have any openings for guests of dishonour?
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
... And Olivia: knock yourself out believing otherwise - I'm sure you'll have your reward.

#1: I've changed my displayed name. I hope you're more observant when you're shooting.
#2: I have no idea what you're talking about.
#3: You didn't answer my question. Why is your gun different than your car?

Your only argument appears to be "trust me, I know what I'm doing" repeated over and over and over. Public policy has to address what happens when people make mistakes and when they don't know what they're doing. Because they will and do. Tens of thousands of your fellow citizens die or have their lives forever changed every year, all while you and millions of other gun owners bleat "trust me, I know what I'm doing."

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Do you know what kind of training and experience these inaccurate police officers have?

Or could it be that they're the best-trained gun users in the general population, and it simply isn't possible for humans in a high-pressure situation (such as, say, one where someone else is shooting at you) to achieve anything like perfect accuracy?
Yes, it could. That's why I asked the question. Are officers with low qualifying scores more likely to miss in action, or not? Are officers who train with their weapon regularly more likely to hit the target than those who qualify twice a year?

Basically, how much effect does training have on performance in the heat of the moment.

My naive expectation would be that someone with a minimum level of training is better than someone with nothing, and then there's a plateau until you reach a fairly intensive training regimen, where performance will improve again. But that's basically a guess - I was hoping that someone might have some actual facts.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The gun situation in the USA (where I lived for nearly three decades) is so depressing.

And yet, in Britain, gun crime is dropping and guns are (relatively) scarce. Tracking guns and bullets is helping to further reduce and prosecute gun crime.

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21587270-small-police-agency-helping-keep-gun-crime-low-guns-hire

The end of the article states how hard it would be to track guns in the same way in the USA, because they are so easily available, people just buy new ones.

But it does show that it gun control laws and surveillance can and do reduce gun crime.

As I see it, the problem in the US is not just the crime but the enormous public health impact of all these guns. As is well-known--and statistics are easy to find--the number of children killed by gun accidents in the US is appalling.
Likewise the number of firearm suicides.

I will never forget the testimony of an elderly American man (now dead) who was in favour of stricter gun laws because of his own story. As a young teenager he became plunged in despair over something, took his father's or grandfather's gun, and ran off to kill himself. Luckily he was found and stopped just in time. Of course the despair passed, and this man went on to be a productive citizen, marry, have children, and die at a ripe old age. It could so easily have been otherwise. And it has been, for countless "successful" suicides.

It's so much easier to do fatal and irrevocable damage to oneself or someone else, instantly, with a gun than with other weapons or pills or whatever. This is common sense.

As everyone has said, the problem is the American mythology of independence and the distaste for governmental "interference."

Luckily there are many Americans, some of who have spoken on this thread, who are trying to do something about this scourge on American life. I hope they will prevail. But I've no idea how it could happen without an enormous psychological shift in attitudes towards gun ownership.

This kind of shift has happened with attitudes to smoking, and we have seen it happen. So perhaps all is not lost.

--------------------
Pondering.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
I've changed my displayed name. I hope you're more observant when you're shooting.

Would you mind if I use SM?

quote:

#3: You didn't answer my question. Why is your gun different than your car?

Will 'my gun(s) are much smaller and designed to project small projectiles at high velocity rather than transport humans' work?

And the more I think about the more odd I reckon it is: you insist on me answering your questions when you haven't answered mine. Why is that?

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Will 'my gun(s) are much smaller and designed to project small projectiles at high velocity rather than transport humans' work?

Not really, you then have to answer:
Why is (a particular method of) transporting humans at high velocity a right that can be curtailed, and the (a particular method of) projecting projectiles at high velocity not (to the same extent).

Possible answers, for the general case would be focusing on:
Relative lack of harm to the user or others.
Relative difficulty to use improperly.
Lack of alternatives combined with relative need.
(compared against the costs of safeguards.)

And I'm pretty sure none of these apply trivially in this case.

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
Would you mind if I use SM?

Yes.
quote:
And the more I think about the more odd I reckon it is: you insist on me answering your questions when you haven't answered mine. Why is that?
I just answered one. Now it's your turn: Why do you buy insurance for your car but not for your gun? In other words, why do you believe that there is a possibility you may be in a car crash one day but there is ABSOLUTELY no possibility you will ever misuse your gun? And why should anyone else believe you?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet again

I gather the police were a bit edgy because of a school incident earlier.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Now it's your turn: Why do you buy insurance for your car but not for your gun? In other words, why do you believe that there is a possibility you may be in a car crash one day but there is ABSOLUTELY no possibility you will ever misuse your gun? And why should anyone else believe you?

Why do you assume I don't buy insurance for my guns?
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until the 2nd amendment is scrapped, no. And that won't happen US Congress would not let
that happen.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
Until the 2nd amendment is scrapped, no. And that won't happen US Congress would not let
that happen.

Rather, the NRA wouldn't allow it to happen. They pretty much own congress where guns are concerned.

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
Why do you assume I don't buy insurance for my guns?

I'm not talking about insurance for loss or theft. I'm talking about liability insurance. If someone comes to your house for dinner, and gets shot accidentally with your gun, do you have insurance for their medical expenses, lost income, disability, and/or death?
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
I'm talking about liability insurance. If someone comes to your house for dinner, and gets shot accidentally with your gun, do you have insurance for their medical expenses, lost income, disability, and/or death?

I might as part of homeowners insurance but am making a point of NOT finding out as, just like my auto insurance (I ONLY buy liability rather than comprehensive), I rely on knowledge and skill more than insurance.

Your turn: when will you admit you've lost the argument for more 'gun control'?

Hmmmm?

By my reckoning this thread has killed at least three perfectly healthy horses. [Razz]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
moron

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Here's the funny thing about the personal experience of people who accidentally shoot or kill the wrong person. It's usually the first time that's ever happened.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
moron

Come off it, Martin, you've been warned before about pushing the limits to the 10C's. In this case, C3. No more.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posting as a Shipmate. The insurance principle assumes that policy holders will take all necessary steps to avoid the events for which we have cover. Indeed, carelessness may invalidate the cover. Being careful, having good skills and experience, minimises risks but does not eliminate them.

If any of us decide not to insure, that means we accept full liability for what happens. For the gun risk, moron clearly does that. That's his choice. It wouldn't be my choice if I had a gun and lived in the US.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we go again...
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
moron

Which I interpret to mean 'moron, by a TKO!' so it seems harsh it might end this way...

but it does raise a Styx type question for someone: does merely repeating someone's chosen moniker constitute an insult?

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and again
And yet again the same similarities again.

A licenced gun owner (like Moron's personal example of himself of a responsible owner*), albeit for once the action was with an illegal gun.

Legally required to keep his gun even safer than Moron is legally. Practically we can't be sure (Moron's comments are inconsistent with the legal reqs this guy had, but we also know this guy didn't live up to them).
And until yesterday with a personal experience like Moron's (ok, I'm assuming this, I know nothing of the guy or area).

Moron might know his awareness and discipline levels to know he'd be different, but if you'd asked me last week I wouldn't be able to tell.

*and hence used as a comparison throughout the rest of the post. There's no particular reason why him and not any other owner.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it considered safe firearm storage to have it hidden in your pocket in the USA? which is generally a criminal offence in Canada, 6 mons to 5 years Please remember to leave them at home if you travel here or Mexico where the penalties and restrictions are more severe. Your friendly neighbours to the north and south.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'm not sure where I should respond moron, Styx, Hell or Heaven! I was playing by repeating your moniker admittedly, I couldn't resist, for which I have been rightly warned.

So, not only did I disrespect the hosts, I did you too.

Please forgive me.

--------------------
Love wins

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
I couldn't resist

Busted, by moron... well, THAT'LL larn you!

quote:
Please forgive me.
I have a hunch I'll get over it [Biased]

having been insulted here by entities I respect much less.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I listened to a rebroadcast of CBC's The Current on
Gun Rights or Gun Control today. Quotable;

quote:
CBC The Current:
Many Americans seem to have an almost religious devotion to gun ownership; the tools that are believed to ensure their safety and freedom. But the gun culture did nothing to protect the victims of Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Sandy Hook or anywhere else. Makes me rant. I don't think it is a legitimate argument that "I am a good gun owner and safely store and use my guns". I think that is complete B.S. Because when you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, and you're exporting your morally bankrupt and ethically vacuous worship of your erections to us. It takes no more than closet Freudianism to understand the masturbatory trigger happy jack off artist gun shooting hick stupid circle jerk of this. Go out and love someone. Quit shooting them. And quit supporting "rights" that are plainly ridiculous and promote killing people. You guys don't have freedom, you have an armed camp. You don't have rights, you have death.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

quote:
CBC The Current:
Many Americans seem to have an almost religious devotion to gun ownership; the tools that are believed to ensure their safety and freedom. But the gun culture did nothing to protect the victims of Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Sandy Hook or anywhere else. Makes me rant.
You don't say!
quote:
... you're exporting your morally bankrupt and ethically vacuous worship of your erections to us.

So when was it that Canadians lost their moral agency and ability to think for themselves? It must be terribly frustrating to live in a society consisting of such inherently good yet tragically weak-willed inhabitants...
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

quote:
CBC The Current:

Sandy Hook or anywhere else. Makes me rant.
You don't say!
quote:
... you're exporting your morally bankrupt and ethically vacuous worship of your erections to us.

So when was it that Canadians lost their moral agency and ability to think for themselves? It must be terribly frustrating to live in a society consisting of such inherently good yet tragically weak-willed inhabitants...

Living on a continent with the USA is like sharing a bed with an elephant. When it twitches or snores you worry and try to get out of the way. It has nothing to do with reasoning. It has to do with you having 10 times the population. And yes we live in igloos.
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It comes from too much poutine. And Molson. Add a few hockey concussions, and what do you expect? [Biased]

[ 07. November 2013, 13:41: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

It comes from too much poutine. And Molson. Add a few hockey concussions, and what do you expect? [Biased]
Well, as long as they don't try to export it to the US, I suppose that's OK...
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Too late. The company is Molson-Coors and headquartered in Denver in the Excited States. So you're swilling it already. Poutine? That's an eastern thing, never tried it. I understand all of you, or in USAian speak youall, are busy drinking corn beer, eating grits, shooting possums for supper and marrying your cousins.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by no prophet:
and you're exporting your morally bankrupt and ethically vacuous worship of your erections to us.

You've got plenty of time. Marion Barry got caught doing coke in 1990. A Canadian mayor of a major city didn't get caught doing coke until 2013. Canada is over 20 years behind the times. Who even smokes crack anymore?
Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:
originally posted by no prophet:
and you're exporting your morally bankrupt and ethically vacuous worship of your erections to us.

You've got plenty of time. Marion Barry got caught doing coke in 1990. A Canadian mayor of a major city didn't get caught doing coke until 2013. Canada is over 20 years behind the times. Who even smokes crack anymore?
We'll do some drive by knifings while we're waiting.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016