homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Desert Daughter, you spout the most arrogant crap sometimes (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Desert Daughter, you spout the most arrogant crap sometimes
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
Don't tell me nobody else studies people and their ways. Some people study, and comment upon, others' dress, say. And they are not always charitable either.

Yes, and they're not usually liked very much. Nor are people who make a habit of laughing at others.

It's your life, but nobody likes to be made to feel as if they're some kind of creature in a zoo, where the attitude is "come and look at the funny monkeys". Whether you like it or not, these are discussion boards, there is a sense of community, the threads are mostly about discussion and conversation, and inevitably some kind of spin-off into community can and does happen. People do volunteer experiences, and share them: that's a normal part of human inter-relations.

You've said in previous posts a while ago, if I remember correctly, that you regard yourself as particularly introverted? Either way, I really think you'd benefit from leaving aside the detached, academic approach, and making a simple, unpretentious effort to get to know some real people. Of course they're going to be flawed and imperfect. And so are you. But I think it would do you the world of good to attempt to have an ordinary, non-academic conversation. Ideally a face-to-face one. It might make you a little more human.

And if you think I think you're coming across as suffering from being alone too much and its consequent detachment, yes, I do, that is how you're coming across from where I'm standing.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DD wrote :
quote:
In short, we try to underdstand why and how .....
See I hate it when shipmates do that.

"We think ......" is a subtle form of ganging up. Adding weight to your argument because there is a imagined many of you who think this way . Just make it what YOU think and remember that there are people at the other end for who it is not an intellectual exercise

A loled when you stuck your stick in the hornets’ nest of depression and now only the smoke of a deserved apology is going to work.

[ 09. February 2014, 17:11: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[QUOTE]But I don't see this as any excuse for writing hurtful, thoughtless, careless posts. Especially about such a difficult and painful topic.

DD has not chosen to reveal whether she has ever been afflicted with depression or not. (I'm referring to DD as "she" because it seems likely that someone choosing Desert Daughter as a screen name will not object, even though I realize DD could be a man).

Nonetheless, even if she has never had to fight depression-mild or severe-there is no guarantee she won't. Indeed, if she lives long enough she will almost certainly taste the age-related form, where the pleasure goes out of the things which once made life worth living. When her world slowly, almost imperceptibly turns sepia, perhaps she will have a better idea of why people have found her remarks so abysmally out of bounds.

To address Evensong's post for a moment, I'm not certain I know of a single person fighting depression who thinks pharmacology is the only tool they need. Rather like migraine sufferers, they learn their own specific triggers and how to avoid or ameliorate them. They often have a more disciplined thought process and higher degree of self-knowledge than those who have never suffered.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
DOEPUBLIC
Shipmate
# 13042

- Posted      Profile for DOEPUBLIC   Email DOEPUBLIC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DD, I am sure you are capable of deducing that not everything that fits in a box is a box. Also that 1% on a spreadsheet can be 100% a person's life.

My further observations are posted on the original thread.Where people may wish to reconvene.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me start this out by saying I'm one of the number. The Maudlin Majority™ on this thread. I'm diagnosed with depression and anxiety due to MS and I hate it. a lot. So, while mine is a little different, I do get it.

Desert Daughter has been insensitive. From my reading, it's insensitivity based on ignorance, not malice. As you all know, this happens a lot.

What also happens a lot is people carrying the particular weight we all carry take everything extremely personally. I speak from experience, here.

What i'm seeing in this thread is a whole giant helping of over-reaction.

Let's face it: everyone has something that makes us "different" - even DD probably has a misshapen head or a third thumb or the communication skills of a gnat. We all have our bears to cross. It does the community of Depressives no service whatsoever if every time someone says something out of ignorance we start squealing like we're bleeding to death. "Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!"

No. Someone who has never dealt with clinical depression will not understand. How is it even possible to put this giant sensation of drowning in viscous, dirty crude oil into words?

So often in our modern world I see people screeching about how they're not understood. Seems to me the first step is to step the fuck out of your own myopic little world and rather than demand to be understood, do your best to understand. Someone says something plug-ignorant, take a moment before you scream and consider where the fuck it's coming from. Can you help educate? can you shine some light into the dark cave they're speaking from?

or would you rather do what we all do so well and curl up into a little ball, lick the fresh addition to the wounds, and bite every hand that comes near?

Because the reality is, no one is ever going to get an understanding on how best to communicate and cope with our little Tribe of The Black Dog if we can't get over ourselves and actually attempt to communicate with the outside world.

When a dog is seriously injured, they are embodying the pain. They can't recognize help, or friendship, or understanding. they are just living the pain. and any open hand is just more possible pain, so they lash out. They run and hide. they bite those who would help them. At some point, the one who would help them is going to give up risking their own blood spillage and think, "fine. fucking suffer!" and walk away.

Depression is such a severe and relentless form of pain that we become that dog. Every offer of help is attacked. every attempt at understanding is met with great yowls and whines. It does us all no favors.

I see a lot of whining, and howling, and biting going on on this thread. But this is an opportunity, my fellow freaks. Doesn't it make a hell of a lot more sense to correct misunderstandings and be patient with the people who, in fact, do not understand, but could potentially be educated?

Frankly I'm sick to death of putting up with all the stereotypes and misconceptions around depression. All you bitchy little things are not helping.

Get off my team.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Desert Daughter has been insensitive. From my reading, it's insensitivity based on ignorance, not malice. As you all know, this happens a lot.

Yes, but what I think is rubbing salt in the wounds here is that ignorance has been trying to pose as intellectual superiority. There were some interesting ideas in there somewhere, but the sneer got in the way. And I don't mean that it prevented people hearing what DD was trying to say; I think a whole bunch of half-baked crap got mixed up with some genuinely worthwhile points for debate - all muddled together in a failed attempt to impress. Greater humility would have brought more clarity - and I can say this because I can recognise so many of my own failings there.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
what I think is rubbing salt in the wounds here is that ignorance has been trying to pose as intellectual superiority. There were some interesting ideas in there somewhere, but the sneer got in the way. And I don't mean that it prevented people hearing what DD was trying to say; I think a whole bunch of half-baked crap got mixed up with some genuinely worthwhile points for debate - all muddled together in a failed attempt to impress. Greater humility would have brought more clarity - and I can say this because I can recognise so many of my own failings there.

Most ignorance is remarkably un-self-aware.

Sounds to me like a place to start.

But, you know, calling names and throwing toys might work, too.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
quote:

1. It's a game.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Perhaps another trip into the desert to reflect on being a self centred, self deluded tub of lard would be appropriate

2.Oh, please. Do you, -and some previous posters- really derive pleasure from throwing out these insults?
1. Do you honestly see dealing with people's lives and commenting on it, as a game? If you do, then you really are disconnected from reality - life is a serious business.

2. No pleasure at all - simply gratuitous advice which may or may not be considered helpful.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doesn't it make a hell of a lot more sense to correct misunderstandings and be patient with the people who, in fact, do not understand, but could potentially be educated?

What, exactly, have you read by DD that indicates that she is in the least open to being educated on this subject? When called on it, she doubles down and insults us for not being able to see oursels as others see us. These are not the behaviors of a person who is merely ignorant but not malicious, and yet willing to be corrected.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a kind of willed, academic ignorance which feels a hell of a lot like malice and to which the only cure is howling etc. until this shatters the academic cocoon and focusses the relevant individual's attention on the fact that there are real people and raw emotions involved. Calm reasoning is no substitute for rawness under such circumstances, since it serves to reinforce the intellect.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hoped that the term ignorance could have given people a clue as to its nature. Ignorant people ignore things. Sometimes one can reason with them but mostly they will ignore that too.

I have some two-by-four that might help. Not as punishment you understand, just to get their attention. A rustic clue bat if you like.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
comet, I would be genuinely interested in knowing why you think DD might be educable, given the manner in which she has already slagged off the entire American Psychological Association.

I'll admit that raised my eyebrows--it's not as though ethnography is considered a universally respected science.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But, you know, calling names and throwing toys might work, too.

Certainly more fun.

I am not entirely disagreeing with your previous post, but QLib and mousethief have valid points in thinking DD not amenable to possible correction.

side note: It is rather amusing for the proponent of one soft science to so denigrate another.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is what someone says any less valid or worthy if it does not change the mind of the intended receiver?
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
AmyBo
Shipmate
# 15040

- Posted      Profile for AmyBo   Email AmyBo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a long-time lurker, I really do think that the depression-bashing assholes need it handed to them, since a lot of us black-doggers are lurkers. I first started reading the ship when I was recovering from a really bad episode, and every Boogie-type post that was supportive balanced off the fuck-ups spouting off about suck it up.

I tried replying on the Purg thread, but couldn't keep the "fuck you DD," out of it. I get that a lot of it is just not understanding the difference between a well person with a bout of sadness and a completely cut-off, physically unwell person sitting at her desk with a knife in her hand, but when that second person can be reading DD's fucking bile, it's time for her to crawl back under the rock she came out from.

Posts: 122 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I see a lot of whining, and howling, and biting going on on this thread. But this is an opportunity, my fellow freaks. Doesn't it make a hell of a lot more sense to correct misunderstandings and be patient with the people who, in fact, do not understand, but could potentially be educated?

Frankly I'm sick to death of putting up with all the stereotypes and misconceptions around depression. All you bitchy little things are not helping.

Get off my team.

No. And no.

There are places to educate, places to keep smiling and talking when people’s malice and ignorance gets behind your eyes and makes you want to lay down and cry. On the Ship, there’s Heaven and Purg.

But sometimes all the smiling and talking gets too much, especially when people don’t listen. And here, in Hell, there’s a place to howl.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Physician, heal thyself. In what way are you being patient with your "fellow freaks" who are not as enlightened as you are, and react to DD's cruelties with pain and vituperation and not with your studied aplomb?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet--

FWIW, people have explained to and tried to educate DD.

The glitch seems to be that she's stuck looking through a particular academic lens that even she thinks is crap, and not perceiving that her words and actions have real effects on real people--who are not her interview subjects.

DD--

Maybe you can turn your kaleidescope a bit, and see the *people* that the data is *about*??

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my lifetime, there's been a lot of change in discourse about cancer. Why don't we all have a good laugh about that?

That had actually been all I intended to say, but having thought about it further, there may well be an interesting discussion to be had on, say, what the consequences would be of cervical cancer being moved out of the cancer space and into the STD space. And perhaps on a discussion forum dedicated to epidemiology this could be discussed relatively bluntly. But on a general interest forum, most people posting would have some consideration for the feelings of people affected by the cervical cancer and would not see the question of how we talk about it as a purely academic discussion.

And most definitely not as something to be made fun of.

[ 10. February 2014, 12:29: Message edited by: Erroneous Monk ]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm reminded of gastric ulcers. You know, those things that, for goodness knows how many years, sufferers were told were stress-related. And therefore told to go and relax and have less stress.

Instead of being given antibiotics to get rid of the Heliobacter pylori that actually do cause gastric ulcers. Heck, they may well be encouraged to grow and multiply by the presence of stress, but if someone nowadays decided to ignore the modern discoveries about what's actually going on and to go back to a 'traditional' understanding of the condition, they'd be stared at by the medical profession with amazement.

If someone wants to ignore all the modern knowledge about what goes on with neurotransmitters and biochemistry during depression, allow me to stare at them with amazement.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the "Relatives" thread Comet wanted me to quit being such a delicate flower and stop thinking it was all about me and now she wants us all to stop whining and howling and throwing toys and just try to educate ourselves about how to get better gosh darn it!

Any minute now she's going to link us to a cheery version of Put on a Happy Face.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
On the "Relatives" thread Comet wanted me to quit being such a delicate flower and stop thinking it was all about me and now she wants us all to stop whining and howling and throwing toys and just try to educate ourselves about how to get better gosh darn it!

Any minute now she's going to link us to a cheery version of Put on a Happy Face.

Not here. "Calling Twilight to All Saints"?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I'm reminded of gastric ulcers. You know, those things that, for goodness knows how many years, sufferers were told were stress-related. And therefore told to go and relax and have less stress.

Instead of being given antibiotics to get rid of the Heliobacter pylori that actually do cause gastric ulcers ....
If someone wants to ignore all the modern knowledge about what goes on with neurotransmitters and biochemistry during depression, allow me to stare at them with amazement.

I'm not sure the implied analogy is apt, because although certain brain events are implicated in depression, I don't think that means we know that the cause of depression rests in the biochemistry of the brain, even though we have some insight of that kind into Seasonal Affective Depression. Nor are we particularly clear about cures for depression, though we can relieve some of the symptoms with varying degrees of success in some (most?) sufferers.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

Instead of being given antibiotics to get rid of the Heliobacter pylori that actually do cause gastric ulcers ....

I'm not sure the implied analogy is apt, because although certain brain events are implicated in depression, I don't think that means we know that the cause of depression rests in the biochemistry of the brain, even though we have some insight of that kind into Seasonal Affective Depression. Nor are we particularly clear about cures for depression, though we can relieve some of the symptoms with varying degrees of success in some (most?) sufferers.
No, that is true. But we are part of the way there to understanding, and we are further along than than we were.

In the last year or two I remember seeing a media report that someone had worked out why some antidepressants take a couple of weeks to work, ie what's happening during that period.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your mind arises from your brain, when your mind is depressed then your brain must be in some way different from times when your mind is not depressed. There is a correlation / cause issue. Conversely, people treated with talking therapy have been shown to have changed brain chemistry as they recover.

Causation is probably a complex combination of factors, but even if cause was purely psychological - that would not make depression somehow less of a significant illness / disability.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the last year or two I remember seeing a media report that someone had worked out why some antidepressants take a couple of weeks to work, ie what's happening during that period.

That sounds interesting but personally I'd settle for an antidepressant that actually worked without putting my life in danger or having embarassing side effects.

Huia - not holding my breath.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
]Conversely, people treated with talking therapy have been shown to have changed brain chemistry as they recover.

Really?! It is bloody hard to investigate human brain chemistry. What would we be talking about, MR spectroscopy? I'm too lazy to PubMed this, any refs at hand?

(It is also far from easy to investigate animal brain chemistry, technically speaking, and it is also difficult to establish decent animal models of depression - still, that sort of thing presumably can be done, and probably has been.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll dig out the reference for you when I get home, it was a small study but it makes sense to me for the reasons I explained above.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

This, is all I can find rapidly - link is embedded in the article (I appreciate is not a neurotransmitter study) - but I am sure I have seen a similar paper on serotonin levels.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

This is a good summary and includes some findings form SPECT analysis.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

OK--this is not related to depression, but it does illustrate just how delicate the balance of brain chemistry can be.

My partner is diabetic. In the 12+ years we have lived together, he has had some trouble with low sugars. Normally, he feels this and is able to treat before anyone would know. I know him well enough I can usually sense the subtle changes in voice and behaviour that tell me his sugar is dropping. Twice in those 12 years, though, as he has been sleeping, his sugar has dropped dangerously low. That will wake him up, but he has no real idea where he is. He is unable to balance himself, he does not know who I am, and he can even lose the use of language. He can start having involuntary muscle movements, and if it were allowed to go far enough he would undoubtedly go into convulsions.

We keep a glucagon kit handy, and on those two occasions when I've used it he hasn't even realized he was injected. Within ten to fifteen minutes, he is "back"--one minute there is no sense that the injection is working, and the next he is speaking and knows what is going on. The personality comes back as quickly as flipping a light switch. Even after all these years, that moment of immediate return to lucidity amazes me.

There is undoubtedly a lot we don't know about brain chemistry, but I am (anecdotally) convinced our personalities and minds are more dependent on it than we usually are willing to believe.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
There is undoubtedly a lot we don't know about brain chemistry, but I am (anecdotally) convinced our personalities and minds are more dependent on it than we usually are willing to believe.

Our minds and personalities are entirely dependent on brain chemistry, for the simple reason that brain chemistry is what those things are.

That doesn't mean we understand more than a fraction of the chemistry involved, of course.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Our minds and personalities are entirely dependent on brain chemistry, for the simple reason that brain chemistry is what those things are.

Since when did you become a materialist? [Eek!]

You don't believe in free will then?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
quote:

Actions are a consequence of free will. One's mind and personality underlie that.

Evensong, that was a "doh" moment, even by your standards.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Confused]

How can action (mind and personality?) be a consequence of free will if its nothing but chemicals making you act (or defining your mind and personality)?

My mind and personality most certainly are not just chemistry.

[ 11. February 2014, 13:30: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actions are a consequence of free will. One's mind and personality underlie that.

Evensong, that was a "doh" moment, even by your standards.

Not at all. Marvin is talking nonsense. And what he is saying does indeed lead to determinism.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It's almost like you think the brain chemistry that controls what you think and do is something independent of "you", to the extent that it can rob "you" of agency. But the brain chemistry is "you", and therefore "you" are the one controlling what you think and do!

As far as I'm concerned that is free will.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, your brain chemistry is NOT you. Category error.
What you are - your being - is not simply what you are made of.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Confused]

How can action (mind and personality?) be a consequence of free will if its nothing but chemicals making you act (or defining your mind and personality)?

My mind and personality most certainly are not just chemistry.

You know this how?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
No, your brain chemistry is NOT you. Category error.
What you are - your being - is not simply what you are made of.

What is it then? There's nothing else there...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strict materialism mandatory now? Really? Why? Exactly.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Wow! We've got people here who reckon we know how the mind works. Shit, we aren't even sure how the brain works, except that it doesn't give the same results twice.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think equating experience with chemical interactions isn't very useful, actually. It tends to erase experience, and then we are into a complete cul de sac.

In order to talk about our experiences, thoughts, feelings, and so on, we can discuss them as is, without having to say, oh they're chemicals.

In fact, of course, nobody does this, as life would be impossible.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How does acknowledging the brain works on a mechanical level erase experience? Simply because I know that careening around curves on a track at high speed releases adrenalin and dopamine to stimulate areas in my brain does not then mean I cannot say it is fun.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
How does acknowledging the brain works on a mechanical level erase experience? Simply because I know that careening around curves on a track at high speed releases adrenalin and dopamine to stimulate areas in my brain does not then mean I cannot say it is fun.

But then you are not erasing experience. But some materialists seem to do this, by arguing for example, that there is no self, or the self is an illusion, or that our thoughts have no meaning. But this is fairly extreme, and I would have thought, unlivable. I suppose you end up having to deny intentionality.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I also think that showing biological change that correlates with something, doesn't show it causes it.

London taxi drivers brains physicially change to accomodate their learning of the routes around London over at least two years. The changes in the brain do not cause them to learn routes, the need to store the information they are learning causes the brain to adapt to what they are doing.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

But saying experience is stored mechanically does not address that question at all.

Addresses to quetzalcoatl though DT answered better

[ 11. February 2014, 16:53: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't think the chemicals cause us to act. They enable us to act.

That is why depression can be so very debilitating - because the brain chemicals are often out of kilter.

I am sure most of this discussion can be filed under 'nobody knows' but Martin has a point.

It's hard to imagine our 'selves' free of the bodies which make us us.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen some data that indicate the at the level of neurons, when a chemical or ion is present, the cell membrane develops channels to receive them. Further, we have neurons which mirror what someone else's neurons are likely doing. The topic was pain, but the fundings are extremely interesting. They then showed how altering thoughts and perception altered the neurology. (This comes from "Explain Pain" from the Neuro Orthpedic Institute out of Australia.)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I think equating experience with chemical interactions isn't very useful, actually. It tends to erase experience, and then we are into a complete cul de sac.

In order to talk about our experiences, thoughts, feelings, and so on, we can discuss them as is, without having to say, oh they're chemicals.

In fact, of course, nobody does this, as life would be impossible.

Of course we can discuss these things without having to talk about the basic chemical interactions that are driving them. That's what we do with virtually everything.

I mean, nobody talks about muscle movements in terms of the biochemical processes that cause them to happen at a cellular and sub cellular level, but when it comes down to it they're just a bunch of chemical reactions causing muscle cells to contract.

It's the same with everything we do, from washing our hands to driving a car. We don't have to talk about the molecular-level science that's going on, but going on it is.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016