homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Favourite classic fantasy novels (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Favourite classic fantasy novels
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I can't read either Eddings or Donaldson, I'm afraid. The first is so silly I suspect him of playing an elaborate practical joke on his readers,

Well, he managed to write the same story twice, in 16 books plus spin-offs, and get paid for it.

(Belgariad / Elenium: Oh no! big disaster! Our Hero (tm) and his gang of cardboard buddies (one representing each group of good guys) have to trek half way around the world to find a magic blue rock. Oh, and kill an evil god.

Malloreon / Tamuli: Oh no! Now there's an evil red rock! Our Hero (tm) and his cardboard buddies have to trek half way across the world with the magic blue rock to fight it. Along the way, we discover that the magic coloured rocks are even more powerful than we thought before.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the field, we have a term for this. It is Extruded Fantasy Product, on the analogy of Cheez Whiz.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lot of suggestions I agree with (and quite a few I don't). I second Bujold and will put in a mention for Patricia A. McKillip ("Forgotten Beasts of Eld", "The Book of Atrix Wolfe").

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While suggesting T H White and Mary Stewart, I kept having the feeling that somewhere in my memory was lurking something else really good.

I still can't find it.*

I have, however recalled Robin McKinley's YA reworking of old tales, and the first one of hers I read, "The Blue Sword".

*As it seems to be lurking in the same place that half forgotten dreams hang out, it may be one of those, and have no resolution.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chalice. Also by Robin McKinley.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's a degree level course, but Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, though ostensibly a chidren's book, is actually well worth examining. She manages to incorporate some tough concepts in physics e.g. what she describes as tessering in what scientists have called the best explanations ever of the process.

Nor would I exclude Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill and Rewards and Fairies. Not exactly mid 20thC, but Kipling's voice is individual. Definitely not mid 19thC!

Nicholas Stuart Grey wrote reworkings of fairy tales, notably The Seventh Swan,after the story by Hans Andersen, and The Stone Cage {Rapunzel. Grimm?} Both sadly out of print, but worth considering if you can find them.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
...The Owl Service which I remember being spooked by as a teenager. ...

Ditto. I've just about completed my Alan Garner collection in order to reread things from my youth, and I remember The Owl Service being strange and scary. Like Penny S I have Boneland waiting to be read, and I note Ariel's observations.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I know it's a degree level course, but Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, though ostensibly a chidren's book, is actually well worth examining. She manages to incorporate some tough concepts in physics e.g. what she describes as tessering in what scientists have called the best explanations ever of the process.

Nor would I exclude Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill and Rewards and Fairies. Not exactly mid 20thC, but Kipling's voice is individual. Definitely not mid 19thC!

Nicholas Stuart Grey wrote reworkings of fairy tales, notably The Seventh Swan,after the story by Hans Andersen, and The Stone Cage {Rapunzel. Grimm?} Both sadly out of print, but worth considering if you can find them.

Three I had not mentioned but two I thought of. I have recently given the Seventh Swan away to Oxfam! I think it was once done as a radio play.

And it reminds of Naomi Mitchison, since some of hers occupy the same Scottish territory. There was also "To the Chapel Perilous" which plays with the Holy Grail myths. Which leads me to Priestley's "The 31st of June" which I want a copy of, which does a sort of Yankee at the court of King Arthur stuff.

Back to Mitchison, I think "The Corn King and the Spring Queen" might have been the one lurking in my mind.

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
And, his stand-alone fantasy MISTRESS MASHAM'S REPOSE is a gem that should be far better known.

I came upon Mistres Masham's Repose quite by accident -- it was in a box of books I bought at auction. I loved it at first reading, and I re-read it often. The characterizations are superb, and the tropes from all over the countryside of literature are quite amazing. (The illustrations help a lot, too!)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is sad, if you are over at Goodreads, to read the evaluations of MISTRESS MASHAM'S REPOSE. People complain of the digressions. It is a style of fiction that alas is not very popular these days. OTOH it is surely just about ripe for rediscovery.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure how easy it would be to find - The Golden Key by Jennifer Roberson, Melanie Rawn, and Kate Elliott involves a sweep of history in a sort of parallel Spain with Moorish influence and a heroine trapped in a painting.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If you are willing to buy used it is possible to find almost any published book on the internet. After you work through Amazon and Ebay, go over to abebooks.com, the clearinghouse for used book stores. These resources have been my Apollyon for years. If these three avenues and a generalized google search fail you, then it is indeed unavailable. (And, of course, if money is no object. Shipping a book from over sea is spendy.)

The only irritation with this for the OP is that if you want a dozen or twenty identical books for a class to be available at the university bookstore. Do teachers send their students out these days into the web, with the instruction, "Go buy yourself a copy of WIVES AND DAUGHTERS by Elizabeth Gaskell!" (Which is available on Project Gutenberg, btw, another powerful resource for anything in public domain.)

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stephen Donaldson, if nothing else because of the twist that the (anti-)hero is from our world.

If I'm allowed an entry from the science-fantasy genre, then Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Stephen Donaldson, if nothing else because of the twist that the (anti-)hero is from our world.

Hardly a twist, since it's announced from the outset. I think it's more uncommon to have a protagonist from our world (especially in adult novels) than it used to be. But still one couldn't call it unexpected.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Which is available on Project Gutenberg, btw, another powerful resource for anything in public domain.

Are texts on Project Gutenberg properly edited?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I now recall Alison Croggon and the Pellinor Quartet. She uses the concept of documents found in our world and time (in Morocco, I think), which have been translated and revealed an earlier time in which magic was used. Her map*, at least, shows similarities with another, and there are other resonances. Her writing style is good. Like the Blue Sword, it has a female central character finding out about her gifts, and like many others it has a nameless dark personage who has to be defeated.
* Maps of Pellinor I can't see where this is supposed to be in the history or geological history of our planet.

[ 26. June 2014, 17:17: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Sorry about double posting, but I have just found that the map talks! And has a problem with east and west.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I don't know much about how Project Gutenberg selects its editions, but they are all public domain. In other words, if you want that enlightening 40-page foreword written by a prominent scholar, you have to go buy the Penguin Classics edition.

I'm afraid that a hero (or anti-hero) plucked from Earth is an extraordinarily common trope in the genre. OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET. THE WORM OUROBOUROS. JOHN CARTER OF MARS. Pellucidar. Narnia. RED MOON, BLACK MOUNTAIN. (There's one we haven't mentioned yet -- Joy Chant, an author who should have written many more books. Her GREY MANE OF MORNING is stupendous and should be far better known.)

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I think I mentioned Joy Chant above somewhere.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Because she had a busy personal and professional life Chant only wrote novels during vacations. Which means she only wrote 3 or 4 in her lifetime. Tragic.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

"The Crock of Gold" by James Stephens

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016