homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dawkins is a Fool. God says so! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dawkins is a Fool. God says so!
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The fool has said in his heart, there is no God.'

I am aware that Richard Dawkins is an educated man but he is a bloody idiot.

His latest outrage is as reported here and just goes to show what an insensitive, inhumane piece of heartless, callous crap he really is.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's nice of you to link his views with his atheism, when he didn't.

He is in fact correct that many fetuses/babies (choose your term) with Down's syndrome are aborted. I've read an article on that point within the last week.

He may well be an insensitive git for telling people they should be aborted. Criticising those parents who decide to continue a pregnancy is hardly nice.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

He may well be an insensitive git

He is an insensitive git.
However, this
quote:

is true.
Elsewise we can judge Christianity by WBC....

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, if Dawkins were a religious theist but acted the same way, it would be just as irritating.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

I'd have said judging atheism by Dawkins is more like judging Christianity by Rick Warren?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His comment

quote:
Apparently I'm a horrid monster for recommending WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS to the great majority of Down Syndrome fetuses. They are aborted.
makes no sense. He appears to be saying that you shouldn't call someone a horrid monster if they recommend something that actually happens. Rape actually happens. Murder actually happens. War actually happens. Yes, you can be a horrid monster for recommending something that actually happens. The question that determines whether or not you are a horrid monster for recommending something is not whether it actually happens, but whether it's an ethical thing to do.

For a supposed "bright" he's not very bright, at least in this twit. Sorry, tweet.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The reason why he fails, as I pointed out to him, why he is inferior to Christianity even if he is 110% right and God is a delusion, is that he doesn't love his enemies.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it's not just not loving his enemies, it's not respecting his enemies. He's an arrogant twat, but there are plenty of religious people who share his faults.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been wondering if the man is in early stage dementia; he's lost the bloody plot. He's made various tweets in recent months that have heated the water around him. Maybe he just has a new book coming out. His atheist gene must be so unselfish that it needs constant propagation.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an inverse correlation in his case between IQ and EQ. His frontal lobes aren't polarized which is most unusual (he can't be 'spooked') and one suspects that correlates with my correlation. If that had been detected amniotically, he should, of course, have been hoist with his own petard and aborted.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the same man who, after a female atheist/skeptic blogger (SkepChick) complained about an uncomfortable sexual advance, said that Western women have no right to complain about sexism as it's worse under the Taliban.

He also said that a Muslim journalist (Mehdi Hasan) was not fit to do his job because he believes that Muhammed flew to heaven on a winged horse.

His small-minded thoughts are not limited to Christians or the religious. And then he hides behind his scientific credentials to claim that those who don't like what he says aren't logical or rational.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I've been wondering if the man is in early stage dementia; he's lost the bloody plot. He's made various tweets in recent months that have heated the water around him. Maybe he just has a new book coming out. His atheist gene must be so unselfish that it needs constant propagation.

Lol!
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing is, I follow a few atheists on twitter. They are cringing and wishing he would shut up.

Like most Christians do when WBC talk.

It is an interesting learning experience for them. He is pretty much on his own, most of his natural supporters having abandoned him. Which is sad for him.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
The thing is, I follow a few atheists on twitter. They are cringing and wishing he would shut up.

Like most Christians do when WBC talk.

It is an interesting learning experience for them. He is pretty much on his own, most of his natural supporters having abandoned him. Which is sad for him.

I'm an atheist and I disagree with a lot of his opinions.

By the way Martin what's wrong with not loving your enemies?

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
There's an inverse correlation in his case between IQ and EQ. His frontal lobes aren't polarized which is most unusual (he can't be 'spooked') and one suspects that correlates with my correlation. If that had been detected amniotically, he should, of course, have been hoist with his own petard and aborted.

Hah - clever!

I agree with you, his emotional intelligence seems to be running on zero. I wounder if this is also the reason why he can't fathom religion and how good for us it can be?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief nailed it right here.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Dawkins Delusion" strikes again: "Sadly, many otherwise sane people are deluded into believing in Richard Dawkins and that he has something sensible to say. Unfortunately the existence of anything sensible coming from Dawkins cannot be proved and is almost certainly the product of his followers' imaginations. There is probably a genetic cause for belief in Dawkins, so one is forced on one level to have pity on those who have this affliction whilst also recognising that it has caused much harm over the years...." (contd for 94 pages)

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A substantial part of Dawkins problem is that he simply isn't as smart as he like to think he is. Really, he is no intellectual power house and I don't think he's had an original thought in maybe half a century now. Journalists look to Dawkins for the atheist view on everything, which annoys other atheists as he is ill-equipped to give them on many topics. Moreover, giving "The atheist view" is like giving "The Christian view". These things vary.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

He may well be an insensitive git

He is an insensitive git.
However, this
quote:

is true.

I understand what you say but WBC doesn't purport to speak for all Christianity and doesn't have a million adoring fans or followers on Twitter. Neither does WBC tap into the kind of 'right on' atheistic university culture that merely laughs at the stupidity of Christian belief and fuels so much of today's popular late night comedy on the TV.

Because Dawkins is the 'scientific' version of Stephen Fry, Frankie Boyle, Tim Minchin and Ricky Gervais, he retains popularity because the sheep who follow such opinion think he must be right because he uses big words.

As far as the atheism thing and whether I'm right to bring that up in a parallel comment I would defend myself thusly:

Some atheists claim that their moral compass is just as strong as that of people of faith. The problem is that, whilst most atheists - and I know some as relatives and friends - are incredibly lovely human beings just the same as the rest of us, when it comes to moral choices they have no fixed point. That's not to say they don't make the correct moral choices and that Christians always do - that's obviously not the case!

BUT I would adapt something Billy Graham said when he was speaking about the conscience: He said that most people treat their conscience like a wheelbarrow, they push it around wherever they want it to go.

It's the same with morality and ethics - a man like Dawkins has no objective moral code that he lives by, other than the one he has created for himself or decides to accept from the culture around him. He himself is the arbiter of what is good and evil, according to his own philosophy and opinion.

Therefore his dreadful opinion about killing Downs babies before they are born is entirely derived from his atheistic philosophy that tells him that because there is not objective truth, and no accountability to God who has declared what is right and wrong, he can say and do as he wishes as long as society allows it.

Yes, Christians increasingly do the same thing - but that doesn't make it right.
Behaving like there is no God while believeing in one is inconsistent to say the least.
Dawkins not only thinks there is no God, he behaves like it to - at least he's consistently foolish.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dawkins is successfully drawing attention to the hypocrisy that most of the voices outraged at his proposition are otherwise pro-choice. Infants without any apparent disability are already being aborted in huge numbers. Why is his latest proposition more of an outrage than this? Only those of a total pro-life position are morally able to challenge his opinion.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vaticanchic:
Dawkins is successfully drawing attention to the hypocrisy that most of the voices outraged at his proposition are otherwise pro-choice. Infants without any apparent disability are already being aborted in huge numbers. Why is his latest proposition more of an outrage than this? Only those of a total pro-life position are morally able to challenge his opinion.

That's not even close to what he did.

Someone posted to him that if she was pregnant with a DS child it would be an ethical dilemma for her.

His answer was that it's WRONG to choose to keep the pregnancy - his words were "It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice." That is absolutely the opposite of choice (regardless of his use of the word), it is an external male voice telling women what the right thing to do with our bodies and our pregnancies is. No different from the Pope, George W Bush, or anyone else.

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yea, I know what he said, but Dawkins doesn't decide what's right & wrong - so that's discounted. The hypocrisy still exists.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Many who have abortions don't want to do so. Circumstances drive them to it. How about doing or even advocating something practical instead of this callous holier-than-thou grandstanding?

I hope you feel good about it.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:

I'm not pro-choice!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Yea, I know what he said, but Dawkins doesn't decide what's right & wrong - so that's discounted. The hypocrisy still exists.

I don't know how you can say the hypocrisy exists without knowing the beliefs of the people who are outraged with Dawkins. Given that some of the people complaining have their own DS children that seems like a rather odd assumption on your part.

And again - being pro-choice does not mean you support telling women that they SHOULD have abortions in certain situations and that not doing so is immoral.

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm betting FC is right and he has a book due. Looking forward to FC's review of the book, because he's an excellent book reviewer.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dawkins is one of those people who thinks (and others think) that because he is expert in one field and can speak well, that he is expert about anything and everything. Dawkins knows genetics, evolution and science, but this hardly qualifies him to discuss as anything, but as an average person, ethics, religion, poetry, skeet shooting and bagpipe playing. My criticism goes beyond this particular article: I think he is irresponsible and as a professional scientist he should know better; when he comments like this, he is acting the publicity hound, and is merely a troll.

He is an ass because he enters into debates merely to enjoy controversy (and if you're right to sell more books with the same recycled ideas), when he is a know-nothing about the topic. He understands the genetics of Down's, full stop.

[ 22. August 2014, 15:09: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Some atheists claim that their moral compass is just as strong as that of people of faith. The problem is that, whilst most atheists - and I know some as relatives and friends - are incredibly lovely human beings just the same as the rest of us, when it comes to moral choices they have no fixed point. That's not to say they don't make the correct moral choices and that Christians always do - that's obviously not the case!

And when it comes to genocide what is your fixed moral point? Your fixed moral point cannot exclude genocide because your god has ordered and approved it in the past according to the Bible, which is where I assume you derive your boast that you have a superior moral compass. What happens if you hear a voice in your head saying: "This is God. Go out and massacre a people for me"? you cannot unequivocally deny it's God, because he's got form. So do you keep to your fixed moral point and obey orders, or do you cross your fingers and become a moral relativist?

To be blunt I am heartily glad that I don't have the same "fixed moral point" of someone who believes in such a god and yet still thinks him worthy of worship. That is a truly scary basis of morality, fixed or not.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:

Oh, I agree. The logic of his defense is flawed.

It's just not flawed because he's an atheist.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:

Oh, I agree. The logic of his defense is flawed.

It's just not flawed because he's an atheist.

True, although one could argue that Dawkins tries to make things like this about his atheism.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am pro-choice; and when I was pregnant with a handicapped child (not Downs) I chose to continue the pregnancy. Dawkins has said that he thinks that letting women like me choose what to do with our pregnancies and our bodies is wrong; we should have no choice, but should abort.

Altogether now, sisters! Not the Dawkins, not the state
Women should decide their fate!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am pro-choice; and when I was pregnant with a handicapped child (not Downs) I chose to continue the pregnancy. Dawkins has said that he thinks that letting women like me choose what to do with our pregnancies and our bodies is wrong; we should have no choice, but should abort.
While being stupid on Twitter, yes is looked like he did. Writing at greater length, not so much. FWIW, my own choice would be different to his, and I wish he would shut down his Twitter feed forever because he is becoming a liability to atheists.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Rational, fair, credible hindsight after the unwisdom of a private 'telegraphese' tweet going viral.

--------------------
Love wins

orfeo

# 13878

The only extra words he needed not to create a shitstorm were "I would" at the front of the tweet.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Rational, fair, credible hindsight after the unwisdom of a private 'telegraphese' tweet going viral.

And it is hindsight. How many words are needed to say that a single tweet can't cover the subtleties?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Hey, we all do that here all the time. He's just come down to our level.

--------------------
Love wins

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twitter: the clue is in the name, which start with twit, which is sometimes defined as 'a person who makes a dim monkey look clever'.

'Nuff said [Yipee]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet twitter can be used rather pointedly by someone who is light on their feet, witty, and/or charming. Dawkins is none of these; and maybe he is just getting too old for these capers.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

"Down's syndrome is natural, it has occurred since time began and we are all different, we all need support at different times and have our 'flaws', that is part of humanity and what makes society rich, what makes life interesting.

Our daughter is now seven and she has taught us so very much. She is an ambassador, a teacher, she makes us appreciate the details of life, learn in different ways. She intuitively watches out for the emotional needs of her classmates, always there for those who are upset, or the ones with a bumped knee. She is funny and bright and feisty. You see Mr Dawkins, this is someone's worth, this is what we put back. The only burden we have on our shoulders as parents is tackling the misinformed."

[Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a measly $100,000 you can have breakfast with the great man .

And to think dopey old Jesus actually cooked his followers their breakfast for nothing!! Doh!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

That makes Dianetics look cheap.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
While being stupid on Twitter, yes is looked like he did. Writing at greater length, not so much.

Reads as a notapology to me and he takes the time to blame the people who did not understand what he did not say.

Atheists liked having a celebrity and he likes being one. Too bad his ego is larger than his expertise. You are better off with a person with both more humility and the ability to speak from the correct orifice.

[ 24. August 2014, 05:03: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

And to think dopey old Jesus actually cooked his followers their breakfast for nothing!! Doh!

I love it. "At this point it is obvious to everyone except the participants that what we have here is a religion without the good bits."

--------------------

Figbash

The Doubtful Guest
# 9048

- Posted      Profile for Figbash   Author's homepage   Email Figbash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I find appalling is his contention that while Down's Syndrome makes one subhuman, Autism is an enhancement. Or, to put it another way, 'less empathic', in Dawkins-speak, translates into 'better'. So is his ultimate goal an emotionless robot? Like Data, only without the charm?

Or, to put it another way, he is introducing some kind of hierarchy of human behaviours that makes that in Brave New World seem kinda moderate.

Posts: 1209 | From: Gashlycrumb | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Figbash:
What I find appalling is his contention that while Down's Syndrome makes one subhuman, Autism is an enhancement. Or, to put it another way, 'less empathic', in Dawkins-speak, translates into 'better'. So is his ultimate goal an emotionless robot? Like Data, only without the charm?

Or, to put it another way, he is introducing some kind of hierarchy of human behaviours that makes that in Brave New World seem kinda moderate.

Or in other words, "loathsome little replicas of himself" to quote Screwtape.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Sounds like he'd be at home on the staff in a death camp in the Third Reich.

Once you start aborting babies that, in your estimation, are less than perfect, what do you do once they are here - if you had the power?

Would it be immoral to let them live?

[ 25. August 2014, 07:57: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

orfeo

# 13878

You know, one can really ruin a convincing argument by driving it into hyperbole.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

I'm aware of that. I know it's a ridiculous thing to propose but then...who would have thought that the stuff that went on in Germany would actually take place. That policy and those dreadful acts, started with privately held opinions and prejudices.

Once life is cheapened in any way, then it becomes progressively easier to dispose of it.
Just look at the discussions we now have about euthenasia - sorry 'assisted suicide'!
That which seemed so horrendous and beyond the pale 10 years ago is becoming more and more acceptable to contemplate and practice - celebrity endorsed even.

All I'm saying is that an attitude could one day become an action.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dawkin's tweet is outrageous because it is not pro-choice. It says DS foetuses SHOULD be aborted, that's as fixed a position as the pro-lifers. Stay out of women's bodies Dawkins it's the mothers' choice. [Mad]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016