homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 90% of the game is half mental: baseball 2014 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 90% of the game is half mental: baseball 2014
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pitchers and catchers report on February 8!

On the upside for my team, the Dodgers: they've renewed manager Don Mattingly's contract for three years, so he has some job security and the team has some stability.

On the down side: Yasiel Puig, the most popular and exciting player they've got, has now been arrested twice for reckless driving. According to what I've read in the local paper, the Dodgers have no intention of re-hiring the minder they had for him for a while last year, figuring he's got to grow up some time. Here's hoping he grows up before he crashes and kills someone.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW, thanks for starting this year's thread! Love the title.

Hall of Fame voting just finished. However, I have been listening to arguments over that procedure for, oh, two days now and don't feel like writing about it right now. Let me just say that the new inductees deserve induction.

And, yes, Puig is showing signs of being (if you pardon the expression) a classic case of crash-and-burn: lot of talent wasted on youthful stupidity. Cross-reference Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry. Let's hope he straightens out.

I have little hope for my Phillies this coming season. Last year we had our first losing season in years--and the biggest change that the team has made has been firing two of their TV announcers. Yeah. They were the problem. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I predict another season of the Rockies playing their way into fourth place in the division in front of crowds big enough to convince the owners that investing to improve the on-the-field product would be a waste of money. [brick wall]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There will be a good feeling hangover at PNC Park until about June when the awfulness of the record, brought about by some unsmart trades will dawn on people.

That said, the Buccos will eventually record a winning season, though I'm less sure about the play-offs. We over-achieved last year and I don't think we'll do it again, not to that extent.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There will be partying in the City of Palms when the Red Sox come back to town for spring training! [Big Grin] We have the Twins, too, and I think ST tickets went on sale today!

Now, if I can just manage a trip to see one or the other. Both might be asking too much.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just waiting to see if the Giants can recover from last year's bizarre decompensation (how do you go from World Champion to the cellar with essentially the same team? In the absence of a voodoo curse, anyway...)

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hoping that My Beloved A's have a healthy year - if so, they are in good shape to win the West again - and that the Giants do some rebuilding.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent timing on starting this thread, Ruth - in the middle of the NFL playoffs and other things going on in sports, the #1 sports headline today was A-Rod.

I thought his suspension was harsh when I first heard it but an author who wrote a book about him was on ESPN radio this morning and broke it down.

Definitely predicting that he'll pull a Lance Armstrong here.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So The Brat (a/k/a A-Rod) has now sued both MLB and his own Players Union. Which, if I understand it correctly, means that he has now waived the confidentiality agreement from the arbitration process--because he has chosen to go outside of that process. Apparently, the arbitrator found that the Brat had three established occasions of drug/PED use and two cases of obstruction of the investigation.

Those last two charges are the tricky ones. If it was just PED use, then his punishment would have been controlled by the union contract (50 games for a first offense, 100 for a second, IIRC). But there is no such limits on the obstruction charges. I gather that the arbitrator found that, while the suspension (162 games--or basically a full season) was highly unusual, the level of misconduct was also highly unusual.

I'm pretty certain his lawsuit will get thrown out. Which tickles me, too, because he will waste a ton of money paying his lawyers for a losing case.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Almost there! Pitchers and catchers for the D-backs will report on Thursday! (Feb. 6) The Dodgers will follow on Saturday, Feb. 8. These two teams get to start ahead of the rest because they will be doing the season opener games in Australia towards the end of March.

[tangent]And this coming weekend features the championship for the Australian Baseball League. A re-match of last year's championship: Perth v. Canberra.[/tangent]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
On the down side: Yasiel Puig, the most popular and exciting player (we've) got, has now been arrested twice for reckless driving. According to what I've read in the local paper, the Dodgers have no intention of re-hiring the minder they had for him for a while last year, figuring he's got to grow up some time. Here's hoping he grows up before he crashes and kills someone.

Why hell doesn't he just hire a driver and buy a go-kart if he insists upon driving? At least he'll have to wear a helmet and other protective gear in addition to sticking to the track!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
I'm just waiting to see if the Giants can recover from last year's bizarre decompensation (how do you go from World Champion to the cellar with essentially the same team? In the absence of a voodoo curse, anyway...)

I'm not putting any money on that one. The WS win was mainly down to the pitching rotation and Romo being great in the clutch situations. Plus some streaky at bats as well. Last year was a bad year for that rotation; Romo had a pretty good year but fell away a little.

I think some hard decisions may be needed about starting pitching, and then there will need to be some rebuilding. Don't think the batting is good enough to carry mediocre pitching; it wasn't even in the WS winning year.

It would be nice to be wrong of course!

Er ... Go Giants! (coughs nervously)

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Why hell doesn't he just hire a driver and buy a go-kart if he insists upon driving? At least he'll have to wear a helmet and other protective gear in addition to sticking to the track!

I wonder about this every time I hear about a celebrity getting a traffic ticket. Although as a car guy, you can probably get that the whole point of buying a fancy sports car is to take it out cruising- it would be a shame to finally buy that Maserati you've always wanted and never even rev the engine at a group of aspiring models in line at a club.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

I wonder about this every time I hear about a celebrity getting a traffic ticket. Although as a car guy, you can probably get that the whole point of buying a fancy sports car is to take it out cruising- it would be a shame to finally buy that Maserati you've always wanted and never even rev the engine at a group of aspiring models in line at a club.
Charlie Watts doesn't drive (on public roads anyway) but he has a fine collection of cars that must include a Maserati, probably a sixties Quattroporte. Then again he's a bit older, breeds horse, likes cricket and has Mick Jagger to sing along to his drumming.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Spring training games get fully underway today! [Yipee] I get to listen to (admittedly rather sloppy) baseball today!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grady Sizemore showed some good stuff in the Cards-Sox training game. Pleased to see that. Game was on ESPN in the UK, which was nice.

For the Giants, Lincecum continues to give the impression that his best years are behind him. It looks like there will be at least two changes in the SP rotation (and maybe more to come). I'm hopeful of a better year (but not too hopeful).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The season opens for real tonight at PNC Park where the Cubs provide the entertainment.

It's on TV too, here in Britain, on ESPN at 6pm, so I shall be there, annoying the kids.

Come on you Bucs!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

That is great! Unfortunately, my team is playing this afternoon (local time) while I am work, so I won't be able to see it. I will be able to listen on the radio, though. Fortunately, baseball is a good sport for radio.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

There a little yin-yang going on here: The Cubs-Pirates game (followed by Sioni Sais) has just gone into extra innings as a 0-0 tie. Meanwhile, I am listening to the Phillies-Rangers game, which is currently 10-8 in the top of the 6th inning...

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I thought the 9-7 Nats/Mets game was high-scoring; 14-10, no extra innings? What is this, football?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is where I enter the thread and make myself universally despised: Go Yankees!

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

I'm not sure if the legal requirement of all good Americans to hate the Yankees trumps my Nats fan requirement to hate the Phillies, but I'm thinking it does.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it help if I say that I prefer National League rules to American League rules? And that I'm really really really nice? I root for the Yankees because they're my hometown team.

OK, I have no idea why, if I prefer NL rules, and am from NY, why I don't root for the Mets. The idea has never occurred to me. I think I might have to eat my words: perhaps I am a prototypical nasty Yankee fan.

Hmmmm.

[ETA: prototypical nasty Yankee fan who can't type...]

[ 01. April 2014, 02:36: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

1. Preferring the rules of baseball over whatever they play in the American League is simply normal, sane, and rational.

2. Being from New York almost gets you a pass; I'll give you "not evil, just misguided" this once.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Does it help if I say that I prefer National League rules to American League rules?

I was born in the City of the Angels and lived three miles from Chavez Ravine until we moved away with our young family when our daughter was ten weeks old. I still root for the Dodgers, but if the Angels are in the playoffs, I cheer for them!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here is where I enter the thread and make myself universally despised: Go Yankees!

Ppthhhhh! (That's a Bronx cheer).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
There a little yin-yang going on here: The Cubs-Pirates game (followed by Sioni Sais) has just gone into extra innings as a 0-0 tie. Meanwhile, I am listening to the Phillies-Rangers game, which is currently 10-8 in the top of the 6th inning...

Followed .... from behind the sofa ....

Still, it worked out.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I hope the Pirates stop doing this to me. Went to pick up final score on TV and found it tied 2-2 in the eleventh! Sat there for an hour plus waiting for a decision.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

At least they are winning! The Phils have lost their last two games by blowing leads in the 8th and 9th.

It is the crazy logic of baseball: the Phillies won the first game when their starting pitcher was horrible; but they then lost the next two games when their starting pitchers pitched great.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
2. Being from New York almost gets you a pass; I'll give you "not evil, just misguided" this once.

Can I extend that "once" as an unbroken span until we win our next World Series? (I am too nice to mention which number that will be.) That will allow me to use the "not evil, just misguided" exception clause for, oh, a couple of decades at least, it looks like.

--------------------
Truth

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
And I thought the 9-7 Nats/Mets game was high-scoring; 14-10, no extra innings? What is this, football?

Real football would have been five-nil with five minutes of stoppage time!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Yesterday the Pirates made two homers scoring five in the one inning. We were 4-0 down at that stage and hung on.

It's early days, no long trips yet, but after a decent pre-season it's promising.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Yesterday the Pirates made two homers scoring five in the one inning. We were 4-0 down at that stage and hung on.

That was simple baseball justice. The Pirates were on the losing end of a call at the plate that allowed the Cubs to score. The tag play itself was close and probably could have gone to replay, but apparently replay was not allowed because the ump decided that the catcher blocked the plate...despite having the ball in his hand and tagging the runner out.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Where would pro sport be without marginal calls?!? From my limited viewing and knowledge there are plenty of tight calls in baseball and the officials get a hell of a lot of them right with (and this is an important sport and Pond difference) far less whinging about referees and umpires from managers and coaches in, I'd suggest soccer, cricket and even rugby.

But yeah, it was justice. And over 162 games class, form, team depth and talent should tell.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I went to a baseball game today. (Interleague play: Mets at Angels.) City solidarity overcame subway rivalry so I was rooting for the Mets. Only to be treated to the most ridiculous of ridiculous endings to a game: after intentionally walking two batters to load the bases with one out, the Mets pitcher got the count to 2 and 2... and then HIT THE BATTER. That's right, the Mets lost to a Walk Off Hit By Pitch that they themselves set up.

The only thing more ridiculous would have been if the Mets lost track of who was where and lost on a Walk Off Intentional Walk.

--------------------
Truth

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I've not been around this game long but the intentional walk is joining a short list of Things I Don't Like About Baseball. Some of the facial hair in the game is pathetic too.

In a game this crazy, I'm sure there have been all-walk runs.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I suppose (and this is coming from my Mafia alter-ego Ios who has spent the past six weeks thinking about various insane devious strategies) there could be an intentionally walked-in run. Suppose the bases are loaded, two outs, you're ahead by a few runs but not many, and Huge Slugger With Insane Batting Average comes to the plate. You might intentionally walk him and take the one run hit in order to get at Really Pathetic Batter following him.

Then if you're the No-Luck Mets, Really Pathetic Batter will turn out to be Madison Bumgarner and he'll hit a grand slam.

--------------------
Truth

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Back in the days when Barry Bonds was playing, I think there were one or two times when a team chose to intentionally walk him and force in a run rather than let him hit a grand slam.

The intentional walk is a strategy, of course. But there is also what is loosely referred to as the "unintentional intentional walk": A really good batter is up. The pitcher is trying so hard to make sure that the batter has nothing good to hit that, eventually, the batter is walked. The end result is the same as an intentional walk, but the pitcher has to work harder to do it. Easier to just do the intentional walk.

But deliberately walking two batters just to fill the bases in the hope of having a force at any base? That strikes me as really bad strategy. Walk one to set up a double play I understand. But walk 2? [Disappointed]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

My Dodger slaughtered the desert rats. We are still number one, I believe!

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But deliberately walking two batters just to fill the bases in the hope of having a force at any base? That strikes me as really bad strategy. Walk one to set up a double play I understand. But walk 2?

Barry is one of few to have been intentionally walked with the bases loaded, too.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I was almost late for choir warm-up this evening because I got caught up in the NPR summary of this article, which details the harrowing journey of Yasiel Puig out of Cuba to Los Angeles, by way of a fleabag motel on Isla Mujeres, with the assistance (sort of) of some really nasty human traffickers. It is definitely worth a read.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

All kinds of gloom in Pittsburgh, but it looks like some fans reckon one winning season gives the Bucs some divine right to the post-season. It was my first season but I wonder if there were others who should really have known better.

Some of our players aren't at the top of their game but many games are very close and there are now *four* competitive teams in the NL Central Division.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

We went to the Rockies-Phillies game yesterday afternoon with a friend from Philadelphia. It was interesting seeing her reaction to the more casual attitude taken to baseball in this football city. She was shocked at the small number of jerseys seen at the game, by the sheer number of people rooting for the other team, by the fact that the tickets only cost $5 a pop, and by the fact that most people seemed more interested in getting a suntan or a drink than in watching the game. It was a heck of a game, with lots of lead changes, and it probably came down to three bad fielding errors by the Rockies. Not that most of the crowd noticed, but it was nice sitting with someone who actually wanted to watch the game.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Og, thanks for posting the link to the article that the NPR report was based on. I too found myself sitting in the car to hear the end of the report.

--------------------
Truth

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Og, I think it is becoming a lot more common to have fans of the "other" team showing up at stadiums. The ability to watch games of any team all season has diluted the concept of a "local" team.

But it is tiresome to try to watch a game with people who aren't interested in the game. I have sat at games in Philadelphia where the people around me apparently came just to socialize with each other and had no interest in the game itself (and from their conversation, it was evident that they only had a rudimentary knowledge of baseball to begin with). I honestly don't get why anybody would pay for tickets (especially fairly pricey ones in Philly) for something that they don't have any real interest in.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
<snip>
But it is tiresome to try to watch a game with people who aren't interested in the game. I have sat at games in Philadelphia where the people around me apparently came just to socialize with each other and had no interest in the game itself (and from their conversation, it was evident that they only had a rudimentary knowledge of baseball to begin with).

Hands up all those who have been to church and wondered much the same!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
....I got caught up in the NPR summary of this article, which details the harrowing journey of Yasiel Puig out of Cuba to Los Angeles

I am still reading the v. long article from my hometown magazine and I noticed a big copy-editing error on the first page: Puig was not on a "cigarette boat", but aboard a CIGARETTE, arguably the fastest and most desirable offshore speedboat money can buy with at least 1000 horsepower between the two mighty V8s propelling it to a vey high speed!

It is a very long article and I shall finish it later today...

I don't care what he did to get here, he's still my favourite player today. (I just wish he would hire somebody to drive his cars!)

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

An hour and a half game delay followed by a long cold rain-soaked night results in a 6-1 win by the Mets at the Phillies. Cole Hamels helped the Mets greatly by issuing a large number of walks. Go Cole!

I have now acquired a Phillies stadium blanket to go with my Angels stadium blanket acquired on my previous business trip. Next business trip I take during baseball season I'm going to pack one of my two stadium blankets so I don't need to buy yet another one at whatever unexpectedly cold ballpark I find myself in next.

In the middle of the 6th inning one of the Mets fans in front of me proposed to his girlfriend and presented her with an enormous diamond ring. All their friends cheered. I wonder if they were in on the secret.

--------------------
Truth

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
An hour and a half game delay followed by a long cold rain-soaked night results in a 6-1 win by the Mets at the Phillies. Cole Hamels helped the Mets greatly by issuing a large number of walks. Go Cole!

Because of injury, it was only Cole's 2nd start of the year, so I don't think he has sharpened his aim yet. Add to that a cold night so that it is harder to get a good grip on the ball (without using pine tar!) and I can't say I am surprised that he was walking a lot.

But props to you for enduring the weather!

Tonight's game has already been called for rain--over 5 hours in advance.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The Giants are on an early season roll. Mostly through winning nearly all the many close games they've been involved in. Which happened last year, before they went into decline. Sweeping the Braves also seems to point to big trouble with Atlanta this year.

But I'm enjoying it while it lasts, hoping for the best. The difference between a winning team and a losing team can be pretty small. That pitching rotation still looks brittle to me, though Hudson looks like a good addition. And the objectively underpowered (but very smart) Romo continues to close well, even in clutch situations. The bats are hitting lots of home runs when it counts. Nice start.

[ 05. May 2014, 07:40: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016