homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why should the image of Christ and the Church apply to husband and wife? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Why should the image of Christ and the Church apply to husband and wife?
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway in a Hell thread:
quote:
Posted by evensong:
Why should the image of Christ and the Church apply to husband and wife?

Because God has designed marriage to be a way in which the principle of Christ-like love and church-like submission is displayed. The husband represents Christ the bridegroom and the wife represents the Church his bride. Christ is the bridegroom. The church is the bride. The husband is the bridegroom. The wife is the bride.
Oh I see. So... marriage was created so people could understand the love of Christ and the submission of the church. That's.. interesting

Are there other things that God created in the world simply so we could understand him? Is it just me or does anyone else find this a tad screwy?

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Posted by the long ranger:

Oh I see. So... marriage was created so people could understand the love of Christ and the submission of the church.

Yes.

quote:
Are there other things that God created in the world simply so we could understand him?
Yes. Everything.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a loada crap.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the long ranger:
Are there other things that God created in the world simply so we could understand him? Is it just me or does anyone else find this a tad screwy?

Of course it is a biblical image:
quote:
Isaiah 62:11 Indeed the LORD has proclaimed To the end of the world: “Say to the daughter of Zion, ‘Surely your salvation is coming; Behold, His reward is with Him, And His work before Him.’”

Zechariah 2:10 “Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” says the LORD.

Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker is your husband, The LORD of hosts is His name; And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel

Jeremiah 3:20 Surely, as a wife treacherously departs from her husband, So have you dealt treacherously with Me, O house of Israel,” says the LORD.

Hosea 2:16 “And it shall be, in that day,” Says the LORD, “That you will call Me ‘My Husband,’ And no longer call Me ‘My Master,’

Revelation 19:7-9 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready;

John 3:29 ESV The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete.

Revelation 21:2 ESV And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Revelation 21:9 ESV Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, “Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.”

2 Corinthians 11:2 ESV For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.

Ephesians 5:25 ESV Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

Matthew 25:1-46 ESV “Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.

Revelation 22:17 ESV The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.

I think the emphasis of the imagery is the mutual love between God and humanity and their close relationship.

Since God is most commonly portrayed as male, it makes sense, and is most common, for humanity to be portrayed as female.

Specifically it refers to God's "marriage" with the "church" because this word describes those who supposedly love God more than others.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What a loada crap.

That too

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it is all about the trinity. God is ,love, flowing out.

We are made in the image of God so we, therefore, are at our best when involved in love.

Either celibacy - mainlining on God's love and pouring it out in selfless service.

or via a partnered relationship, still ultimately selfless.

But other contexts too - ministry, social work. teaching, looking after ageing parents, just being a neighbour.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I think the emphasis of the imagery is the mutual love between God and humanity and their close relationship.

Since God is most commonly portrayed as male, it makes sense, and is most common, for humanity to be portrayed as female.

Specifically it refers to God's "marriage" with the "church" because this word describes those who supposedly love God more than others.

Ahem, if you look carefully at what is being said, it is not just that marriage is portrayed as an image of God's love for the church, but rather than marriage itself was invented by God in order for us to understand God.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

Ahem, if you look carefully at what is being said, it is not just that marriage is portrayed as an image of God's love for the church, but rather than marriage itself was invented by God in order for us to understand God.
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Scotus
Shipmate
# 8163

- Posted      Profile for Scotus   Email Scotus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God created man and woman in his image and likeness. John Paul II argued (I'm summarising a rather detailed argument here) that the imago dei was found not only in each individual human being, but in the union-of-the-two in marriage - that is, the selfless, total loving gift of each spouse to the other is an image of the love that exists within the Trinity*. Thus marriage, which JP II described as the 'primordial sacrament' is not only an image of Christ's love for the church, but also of the Trinity itself.

If God has willed that his image should be found within creation in this way, then it's hardly a stretch to say that God 'invented' (though I would prefer to say 'created') marriage for this purpose.

Note that this understanding of the imago dei being present within each marriage does not imply anything about one spouse being subordinate to the other. Indeed, reading Genesis suggests that female submission to the male is a consequence of the fall and therefore not part of God's original design. Moreover, I would suggest that such submission is not what Ephesians 5 is actually about and over-emphasising this aspect seems to be missing the point.

*nb it's not about numbers - clearly marriage and the Trinity differ in that respect, but about the loving relationship that exists within each.

Posts: 422 | From: Diocese of Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Ad yet the Apostle Paul called the marriage relationship a mystery in a passage about marital submission.
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it is not just that marriage is portrayed as an image of God's love for the church, but rather than marriage itself was invented by God in order for us to understand God.

This seems a remarkably subtle distinction. If we take it that;

a) a deity who knows all designs something (i.e. marriage)
b) marriage is an image of his/her love for the church
c) the all-knowing God also wants humans to understand God

...then saying the deity did it *in order to* be an image of his/her love seems little different from simply saying that it was an image of his/her love. We don't have the option of saying that God did it for other reasons, and it just happened to be a useful image of his/her love with an all-knowing God.

So how fine is this hair?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

As I said, the Apostle Paul asserts that marriage is the public revelation (mystērion) of a cosmic secret. According to Ephesians 5:22 ff. that cosmic secret is the love Christ for his church, and the submission of his church to that love. Husbands and wives get to reveal that cosmic secret by relating to each other in a particular way. This is because God designed (my word) or created (Scotus's word) marriage from eternity to be a means by which his cosmic purposes in the gospel would and could be revealed.
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
According to Ephesians 5:22 ff. that cosmic secret is the love Christ for his church, and the submission of his church to that love. Husbands and wives get to reveal that cosmic secret by relating to each other in a particular way.

Does this mean wives are literally expected to worship their husbands?

Of course, I've known some husbands who expect to be treated like God incarnate just because they put in one weekend of hard work, so I guess that is kind of like Jesus! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scotus
Shipmate
# 8163

- Posted      Profile for Scotus   Email Scotus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ad yet the Apostle Paul called the marriage relationship a mystery in a passage about marital submission.

Or one could say that Paul called the marriage relationship a mystery in a passage about Christ and the church.
Posts: 422 | From: Diocese of Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
According to Ephesians 5:22 ff. that cosmic secret is the love Christ for his church, and the submission of his church to that love. Husbands and wives get to reveal that cosmic secret by relating to each other in a particular way.

Interestingly enough... no. But traditionally the husband said...

"With this Ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Scotus:
quote:
And yet the Apostle Paul called the marriage relationship a mystery in a passage about marital submission.

Or one could say that Paul called the marriage relationship a mystery in a passage about Christ and the church.
I don't think that's right. Ephesians 5 is a pastoral theological passage about different kinds of human relationships being transformed by the gospel. Christ and the church is the analogue, but the human marital relationship is the target subject.

[ 03. September 2012, 20:39: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Does this mean wives are literally expected to worship their husbands

Interestingly enough... no.
Then that's at least one way husband and wife are not like Christ and the church.

quote:
But traditionally the husband said...

"With this Ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

And abracadbra, with those words the wife "traditionally" became a non-person in the eyes of the law! "Tradition" is big on dressing up subjugation in pretty words and romanticized bullshit. Remember that the whole marriage-as-a-partnership-of-equals is a fairly recent social innovation. It's also one at odds with the hierarchical "Christ-and-His-church" model.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
quote:
Does this mean wives are literally expected to worship their husbands

Interestingly enough... no.
Then that's at least one way husband and wife are not like Christ and the church.
Yes. There are lots of ways that husband and wife are not like Christ and the church.

quote:
quote:
But traditionally the husband said...

And abracadbra, with those words the wife "traditionally" became a non-person in the eyes of the law! "Tradition" is big on dressing up subjugation in pretty words and romanticized bullshit. Remember that the whole marriage-as-a-partnership-of-equals is a fairly recent social innovation. It's also one at odds with the hierarchical "Christ-and-His-church" model.
I don't agree with your conclusion, but I'm sure that there's at least some truth in what you say about tradition being a major way in which unbiblical notions of submission are perpetuated.
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
I don't agree with your conclusion, but I'm sure that there's at least some truth in what you say about tradition being a major way in which unbiblical notions of submission are perpetuated.

Wait a sec, how is submitting to the will of Christ "unbiblical"?

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:

It isn't.
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
quote:

It isn't.
So if a woman is supposed to obey her husband as God incarnate, what kind of submission would be going too far or being "unbiblical"? [Confused]

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

Oh, I see! Sorry. Let me clarify.

There is the sort of submission which the bible affirms, and there are notions of submission which the bible doesn't affirm. I'm agreeing with you that tradition is one of the ways that the type of submission that the bible doesn't affirm is perpetuated.

I also suspect that your notions of submission cannot be found in the bible, and that you don't actually understand the passage from Ephesians you've quoted. However, you are ver welcome to read the thread in Hell where you will disabused of your ignorance. [Devil]

[ 03. September 2012, 21:27: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Oh, I see! Sorry. Let me clarify.

There is the sort of submission which the bible affirms, and there are notions of submission which the bible doesn't affirm. I'm agreeing with you that tradition is one of the ways that the type of submission that the bible doesn't affirm is perpetuated.

Right, but I'm not sure what kind of submission would be considered "out of bounds" if asked of you by God. Given that "murder your children" is considered to be on the acceptable side of the line when it comes to submitting to God, what does that leave?

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

That passage is a descriptive account of a unique test of one man's faith at a point in history when there was little or no formal revelation of God's character. It is not a prescriptive command with universal application in a time (i.e. now) when formal written revelation of God's character is available in the canon of scripture.

Now, are we going to have a grown-up conversation or do you want the parent-child dynamic to continue?

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
That passage is a descriptive account of a unique test of one man's faith . . .

Aren't all tests of faith "unique"?

quote:
It is not a prescriptive command with universal application in a time (i.e. now) when formal written revelation of God's character is available in the canon of scripture.

So what's the modern, post-revelation standard? Obey the commands of God, unless you know better?

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway in a Hell thread:
quote:
Posted by evensong:
Why should the image of Christ and the Church apply to husband and wife?

Because God has designed marriage to be a way in which the principle of Christ-like love and church-like submission is displayed. The husband represents Christ the bridegroom and the wife represents the Church his bride. Christ is the bridegroom. The church is the bride. The husband is the bridegroom. The wife is the bride.

If you believe God has designed marriage in this way, that is fine, but you still have not qualified on what basis and why God would design marriage this way.

Nor do you explain why this cannot be a social more, rather than God's will and universally applicable.

The passage in context describes women, children and slaves.

Submission to the superior (head - Christ) is present in all of them.

For slaves:

quote:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as you obey Christ
By your reasoning, the abolition of slavery is contrary to God's will.

Is this true?

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a DH, so down you go.

--Tom Clune, Purgatory Host

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
coniunx
Shipmate
# 15313

- Posted      Profile for coniunx   Email coniunx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
According to Ephesians 5:22 ff. that cosmic secret is the love Christ for his church, and [qb]the submission of his church to that love. Husbands and wives get to reveal that cosmic secret by relating to each other in a particular way.

To the same degree that husbands are expected to be crucified for their wives, yes.

(Why is it that people looking at Ephesians seem to get stuck on the bit about wives? Is it that they hear that bit and get so up tight they can't listening to the rest of it?)

--------------------
--
Coniunx

Posts: 250 | From: Nottingham | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coniunx:
(Why is it that people looking at Ephesians seem to get stuck on the bit about wives? Is it that they hear that bit and get so up tight they can't listening to the rest of it?)

Because it has been used for 2000 years to condone great evil against women.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
coniunx
Shipmate
# 15313

- Posted      Profile for coniunx   Email coniunx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

But isn't that just as much a result of ignoring the rest of it?

--------------------
--
Coniunx

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

True enough, but it would seem the damage is done.

--------------------

coniunx
Shipmate
# 15313

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

True enough, but it would seem the damage is done.
But the damage is surely exacerbated if the unbalanced reading of the passage remains.

But then I guess that's what leads to a lot of misinterpretation of Scripture, and of Tradition - people reading part of if and ignoring the rest...

--------------------
--
Coniunx

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If posters had kept to the question this thread would not be in DH.

So, OTOMH:

Running (particularly appropriate for (para)olympic games time.
Judges
(Absentee) Landlords and tenants
Chickens
Soldier's uniforms
Slaves
Monarchy
Prostitutes
Divorce
(Two edged) swords
Pottery

etc.
etc.
But that's enough to be going on with.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
But the damage is surely exacerbated if the unbalanced reading of the passage remains.

But then I guess that's what leads to a lot of misinterpretation of Scripture, and of Tradition - people reading part of if and ignoring the rest...

I think people say, "Oh this is the 'wives submit' thing" and skip the whole passage.

--------------------

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've long thought that the problem with this passage is that it's being read back-to-front. An existing institution is used as a metaphor for Christ's relationship with the Church. Marriage isn't being created to reflect the metaphor, the metaphor is created to reflect marraige.

The same as the metaphor of the Sacrificial Lamb. Its a great metaphor using an existing institution (temple sacrifice) but we're not expected to sacrifice a lamb everyday to reflect Jesus' sacrifical relationship with us - the metaphor works and the relationship stands even though the old institution of sacrifice has disappeared.

Same with marraige. Yes it used to be about submission of the socially inferior partner. We've moved away from that. Doesn't mean we should keep trying to force marrige into the old metaphor though. That's grabbing hold of the wrong end of the stick altogether. The metaphor isn't intended to tell us what marraige is like - it's intended to tell us what God is like. Paul finishes his passage by saying this explicitly in verse 32: "This is a profound mystery — but I am talking about Christ and the church."

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
If posters had kept to the question this thread would not be in DH.

So, OTOMH:

Running (particularly appropriate for (para)olympic games time.
Judges
(Absentee) Landlords and tenants
Chickens
Soldier's uniforms
Slaves
Monarchy
Prostitutes
Divorce
(Two edged) swords
Pottery

etc.
etc.
But that's enough to be going on with. [/QB]

These are all things that God specifically created to explain something about a profound spiritual mystery (over and above any other function they might have)..?

I don't think so.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are used in metaphors just as marriage is used in a metaphor, and all have the limitations of a metaphor.

I don't buy that marriage was "specially designed ... "

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
They are used in metaphors just as marriage is used in a metaphor, and all have the limitations of a metaphor.

I don't buy that marriage was "specially designed ... "

That was kindof the point I was making in the original post..

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
I've long thought that the problem with this passage is that it's being read back-to-front. An existing institution is used as a metaphor for Christ's relationship with the Church. Marriage isn't being created to reflect the metaphor, the metaphor is created to reflect marriage.

This. Hard.

It seems to me that Paul is saying "You want to know what God and the Church are like? It's as if the Church is the wife, and you know how wives are supposed to submit to their husbands. But here's the radical thing: hands up, you husbands, who'd be prepared to sacrifice yourself for your wife? That's what Jesus did for his bride."

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To the same degree that husbands are expected to be crucified for their wives, yes.

(Why is it that people looking at Ephesians seem to get stuck on the bit about wives?

Because Jesus went to crucifixion believing it was God's will.

But he did not submit to human authority.

There is a significant difference in the imagery.

They are not equal.

Submitting to God is one thing, submitting to humans and their institutions is totally different.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
It seems to me that Paul is saying "You want to know what God and the Church are like? It's as if the Church is the wife, and you know how wives are supposed to submit to their husbands. But here's the radical thing: hands up, you husbands, who'd be prepared to sacrifice yourself for your wife? That's what Jesus did for his bride."

This is what I refer to as the Titanic justification, and variations on it are quite popular among those advocating gender discrimination. It involves using something so rare it almost never happens (but is fairly extreme and dramatic when it does) as a reason to perpetuate everyday inequalities. Something along the lines of "If we were on a sinking steamship without enough lifeboats I, the man, would be expected to give you, the woman, preferential seating on the lifeboat. Therefore it's only fair that you serve and obey me in all situations that don't involve a sinking steamship with too few lifeboats."

You can substitute in "crucifixion" for "sinking steamship with too few lifeboats", mutatis mutandis, if you like.

[ 05. September 2012, 15:01: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

coniunx
Shipmate
# 15313

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

(Why is it that people looking at Ephesians seem to get stuck on the bit about wives?

Because Jesus went to crucifixion believing it was God's will.

But he did not submit to human authority.

There is a significant difference in the imagery.

They are not equal.

Submitting to God is one thing, submitting to humans and their institutions is totally different.

So is sacrificing yourself for them. Your point?

--------------------
--
Coniunx

coniunx
Shipmate
# 15313

quote:
quote:

This is what I refer to as the Titanic justification, and variations on it are quite popular among those advocating gender discrimination. It involves using something so rare it almost never happens (but is fairly extreme and dramatic when it does) as a reason to perpetuate everyday inequalities.
Good grief - you think sacrificing yourself for your spouse 'almost never happens' in marriage?

Not, I grant you, at the level of dying - but if a husband isn't sacrificing his own interests, his own comfort, and his own wishes all the time for the sake of his wife, he's not true to his marriage.

--------------------
--
Coniunx

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This is what I refer to as the Titanic justification, and variations on it are quite popular among those advocating gender discrimination. It involves using something so rare it almost never happens (but is fairly extreme and dramatic when it does) as a reason to perpetuate everyday inequalities. Something along the lines of "If we were on a sinking steamship without enough lifeboats I, the man, would be expected to give you, the woman, preferential seating on the lifeboat. Therefore it's only fair that you serve and obey me in all situations that don't involve a sinking steamship with too few lifeboats."

You can substitute in "crucifixion" for "sinking steamship with too few lifeboats", mutatis mutandis, if you like.

Er, no. The Birkenhead Rules kind of post-date Paul, and grew out of the expectation that the "weaker sex" needed protecting - look on it as chivalry, or romanticism.

That's not what Paul's saying. Women were, literally, worth-less. He was taking a commonly held fact (wives submit to husbands) and using it to illustrate the Church's relationship to Christ. But what's Christ's relationship to the Church? Is it one of patriarchal domination - the other side of the coin to submissive wives?

No. Paul says otherwise. He's not - at least in this instance - saying "because Christ died for the Church, wives have to submit to their husbands". He's saying "Christ is like a husband that died to save his wife."

Which would have produced all manner of WTF in his readership.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Women were, literally, worth-less.

On what do you base this? The Wikipedia article "Women in Judaism" says this:

quote:
Classical Jewish rabbinical literature contains quotes that may be seen as both laudatory and derogatory of women. The Talmud states that:

Greater is the reward to be given by the All-Mighty to the (righteous) women than to (righteous) men[3]
Ten measures of speech descended to the world; women took nine[4]
Women are light on raw knowledge — i.e. they possess more intuition[5]
A man without a wife lives without joy, blessing, and good; a man should love his wife as himself and respect her more than himself[6]
When Rav Joseph[who?] heard his mother's footsteps he would say: Let me arise before the approach of the divine presence[7]
Israel was redeemed from Egypt by virtue of its (Israel's) righteous women[8]
A man must be careful never to speak slightingly to his wife because women are prone to tears and sensitive to wrong[9]
Women have greater faith than men[10]
Women have greater powers of discernment[11]
Women are especially tenderhearted[12]

While few women are mentioned by name in rabbinic literature, and none are known to have authored a rabbinic work, those who are mentioned are portrayed as having a strong influence on their husbands, and occasionally having a public persona. Examples are Bruriah, the wife of the Tanna Rabbi Meir; Rachel, the wife of Rabbi Akiva; and Yalta, the wife of Rabbi Nachman. Rabbi Eliezer's[who?] wife (of Mishnaic times) counselled her husband in assuming leadership over the Sanhedrin.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:
Women were, literally, worth-less.

On what do you base this? The Wikipedia article "Women in Judaism" says this:

quote:
Classical Jewish rabbinical literature contains quotes that may be seen as both laudatory and derogatory of women. The Talmud states that:

Greater is the reward to be given by the All-Mighty to the (righteous) women than to (righteous) men[3]
Ten measures of speech descended to the world; women took nine[4]
Women are light on raw knowledge — i.e. they possess more intuition[5]
A man without a wife lives without joy, blessing, and good; a man should love his wife as himself and respect her more than himself[6]
When Rav Joseph[who?] heard his mother's footsteps he would say: Let me arise before the approach of the divine presence[7]
Israel was redeemed from Egypt by virtue of its (Israel's) righteous women[8]
A man must be careful never to speak slightingly to his wife because women are prone to tears and sensitive to wrong[9]
Women have greater faith than men[10]
Women have greater powers of discernment[11]
Women are especially tenderhearted[12]

While few women are mentioned by name in rabbinic literature, and none are known to have authored a rabbinic work, those who are mentioned are portrayed as having a strong influence on their husbands, and occasionally having a public persona. Examples are Bruriah, the wife of the Tanna Rabbi Meir; Rachel, the wife of Rabbi Akiva; and Yalta, the wife of Rabbi Nachman. Rabbi Eliezer's[who?] wife (of Mishnaic times) counselled her husband in assuming leadership over the Sanhedrin.

And if Paul's instructions were in a letter to Jews, you might have a point...

Greco-Roman culture had different ideas.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

There were no Jews in the church in Ephesus? Are you SURE?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
There were no Jews in the church in Ephesus? Are you SURE?

1. No. But that's not the point either.

2. You appear to be mistaking "worth-less" with "worthless".

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Well since the former appears to be a term you made up, perhaps you can explain the difference. I assume you don't mean "worth less," i.e. not worth as much, or you'd have written that. So what does "worth-less" mean in your idiolect?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016