homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » One way trip to Mars (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: One way trip to Mars
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
According to the second document I linked to above, the cost is so low because they have not factored in the cost of additional launches to supply replacement parts - which is the chief reason for the 60 or so days' survival time advanced by MIT.

Given the ~ 50% success rate of not crashing unmanned craft onto Mars, 60 days is the madly optimistic figure.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up a space-age kid--watched the moon landing and other missions in class. They hauled in a TV (rarely done, then), and had it on all day. Had space stuff on my wall. Loved the "Mushroom Planet" books for kids.

I did sometimes dream of being an astronaut. Girls weren't even allowed to train; then they could train, but not go into space. IIRC, the first issue of Ms. magazine had a feature article about that. I was angry.

I wouldn't have been able to make it, though--claustrophobia, motion sickness, etc.

I've got really mixed feelings about humans going into space, especially permanently and/or commercially. We've got so many problems here to take care of. And if we're not mature enough to treat our own species well, and other Earth species, we're sure not mature enough to go looking for life out there.

OTOH, exploring... [Cool]

IIRC, the journey would take years? So:

--4 people,

--in a small space they couldn't leave (or even open the window!),

--with limited supplies and no way to pull over and get more, no handy service stations,

--traveling for years and years,

--possibly no sex--or a very limited choice (and no way to get away if someone tries to force you); and the possibilities of STDs, pregnancy, running out of condoms,

--on a very dangerous journey,

--to some place with no humans and who knows about any other life (and you just know we're gonna mess up any life that *is* there, because that's what we do),

--knowing you can't ever go back to Earth,

--knowing you're going to die sooner, rather than later (possibly VERY soon), you might wind up the one lonely survivor, you might go mad,

--and being under pressure from sponsors, governments, media, etc.

--oh, and you might run out of DARK CHOCOLATE!!!
[Eek!]

Yeah, I'll sign right up. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
IIRC, the journey would take years?

There are launch windows every two years where the journey time is minimised, which are of course when any missions to Mars will be launched (that's true of the robotic missions already launched and planned, as well as the Mars One missions and the NASA manned mission).

Journey time for those missions would be 150-300 days, depending mainly on launch velocity. Faster launch = shorter journey, but requires more fuel and hence cost. Forget about the graphics produced by Mars One of the transit ship with engines working all the time. It'll be a short burst of acceleration out of earth orbit and then coasting all the way with only a few burns to correct course if needed.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Golden Key has hit it about spot-on. When I first read about this, I thought that I'd somehow missed the second half of February and the whole of March and gone straight to 1st April.

I know death comes to us all, but really, why would anyone in full possession of their onions volunteer for a mission that's almost certainly going to expedite that death, and precede it with a few months of fairly intense discomfort and deprivation?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I think Golden Key has hit it about spot-on. When I first read about this, I thought that I'd somehow missed the second half of February and the whole of March and gone straight to 1st April.

I know death comes to us all, but really, why would anyone in full possession of their onions volunteer for a mission that's almost certainly going to expedite that death, and precede it with a few months of fairly intense discomfort and deprivation?

Think of it as the ultimate Big Brother, in which no one is ever allowed out of the house.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Piglet: I think Golden Key has hit it about spot-on. When I first read about this, I thought that I'd somehow missed the second half of February and the whole of March and gone straight to 1st April.
This isn't something that came up recently, Mars One exists for some time already. I'm not sure why it's hitting the news now, but I like reading astronomy blogs, and I've been reading about this for years.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

You'd have to be a very special person to take this on, but everyone is different. We don't all hope for a long life in comfortable, familiar surroundings. Not everyone has a loving family or gang of friends to keep them stuck on earth.

Moreover, some people just yearn for a great challenge, to be pioneers, or to commit themselves to a cause. They'll give up a nice life just to have a chance at that.

[code]

[ 20. February 2015, 15:50: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see that not everyone has a loving family. But if someone doesn't have a group of friends (assuming they are not ofgreat age and have outlived their friends, in which case they are unlikely to be fit enough to be selected for the Mars mission), are they likely to be the type of person who would thrive in a small claustrophobic colony trying to live together in an alien environment?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be a way of going down in history, spoken of in the same sentence as Niel Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. Who remembers the second Apollo astronaut's on the Moon?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or even who remembers who was the third member of the Apollo 11 mission who remained in the orbiting spaceship and didn't land?
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Collins [Big Grin]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
I can see that not everyone has a loving family. But if someone doesn't have a group of friends (assuming they are not ofgreat age and have outlived their friends, in which case they are unlikely to be fit enough to be selected for the Mars mission), are they likely to be the type of person who would thrive in a small claustrophobic colony trying to live together in an alien environment?

I have no idea about the psychology of this. But I suspect that being a typical 'team player' of the type loved by recruiters for 'normal' jobs isn't exactly what's required. Maybe it's more a case of hiring a bunch of fairly self-absorbed tecchies/dreamers/geeks/experts etc. who work well together because they're all so passionate about the project, not because they're naturally chummy people.

[ 20. February 2015, 16:50: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
... Who remembers the second Apollo astronaut's on the Moon?

Alan Shepard - the one who hit the golf-ball? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TIME Magazine just published the story of one woman and why she volunteered -- she's now one of the 100.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the finest books ever written.

There's a disturbingly beautiful short story by James Blish, as I recall, What Purpose?

And Boris and Arkady Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic. Spine tingling in it last sentence to this day 40 years after I read it.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Martin60: There's a disturbingly beautiful short story by James Blish, as I recall, What Purpose?
I'm familiar with Roadside Picnic, but I can find nothing about this one.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given reality TV is behind it, if I were along for the trip, I would rather worried about the outfit going bust when I was halfway between Earth and Mars. That would most certainly ruin the landing.

On the other hand, maybe they could generate more income by doing the BB thing or copying the SoF-project we had some years back by planking one of the travellers into outer space every week or so.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A more tinfoil hat theory emerged over dinner here yesterday evening: they are just going to pretend they are doing to Mars and film it all on a sound stage...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...which would revive the old theories that the moon landing was faked the same way...

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... as it was never really clear whether or not Elvis Presley actually ever did make it to Saturn ...

[ 23. February 2015, 06:43: Message edited by: molopata ]

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
A more tinfoil hat theory emerged over dinner here yesterday evening: they are just going to pretend they are doing to Mars and film it all on a sound stage...

They've obviously never watched the classic Capricorn One.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
molopata: Given reality TV is behind it, if I were along for the trip, I would rather worried about the outfit going bust when I was halfway between Earth and Mars. That would most certainly ruin the landing.
It would depend a bit on whether the landing depended on remote control or on auto-pilot. I think it is the former, so yeah. Not getting new supplies every two years would be a bitch too.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

With reality TV behind it, I suspect it would wind up like the mission in the "Hitchhiker's Guide" books, where all the most idiotic people on a particular planet were shipped off...and wound up on this strange little planet called "Earth"...

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

No, it wasn't all the most idiotic people. It was the people who had jobs that were considered less important. They were unqualified for the job, it didn't make them idiots. Indeed, those who sent them who subsequently died from an infection caught from, IIRC, an unsanitised telephone, were probably the bigger idiots. Which poses the question with reality TV. Who are the bigger idiots, those who sign up to go or those who sit on their sofa and watch them?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Yes, it was partly about jobs; but it seemed that the people in those jobs weren't very sensible, didn't use whatever brain power they had (idiotic), etc.. Remember the captain taking baths on the ship's bridge? And how much they all messed up Earth?

And yes, the remaining Golgafrinchans got their come-uppance for getting rid of the phone sanitizers.

(It's admittedly been a long time since I read The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, but I poked around online to refresh my memory.)

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<Hitchhiker's Guide tangent> It was about the people with jobs that *Douglas Adams* considered unimportant. And in some cases he might have had a point, but I don't think hairdressers should have gone on Ark B. If the remaining Golgafrinchans hadn't died from the telephone plague they would probably have suffocated in all that hair. </Hitchhiker's Guide tangent>

[ 23. February 2015, 12:36: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

(H2G2 tangent)

LOL, Jane, and aha re it being based on Adams' opinions. Though he did at least have the sense to realize there'd be consequences.

As I recall, the exiled Golgafrinchans were referred to as "bloody useless loonies" and were portrayed that way. I may not have questioned that. (Probably 20 years since I read it.)

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Golgafrinchans are alive and well, and organising the 'restack' of our office ...!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LeRoc. NO! Me not you. 'What Purpose?' isn't James Blish and it ISN'T the story, which IS James Blish's 'The Star'. 'What Purpose?' is a fine wee story but not a patch on the Blish one. 'What Purpose?' is about sentient trees on a world visited by human uranium miners ... Dunno who wrote it. One of the early 70's American near greats like Harlan Ellison or Gordy Dickson perhaps.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016