homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Le grand tour d'orfeo (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Le grand tour d'orfeo
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I said backstage at some point I'd mention this, so here goes.

I'll be in Europe for the whole of April, or very close to it. I'm going to a conference for work in the middle of April (in Edinburgh) but holidaying on either side of it.

The itinerary is: Amsterdam, Paris, Dunstable, London, Edinburgh, Reykjavik, Copenhagen.

In terms of meeting anyone, the most likely bets are Paris (which I'm in for the Easter weekend) and Edinburgh the day after the conference (Saturday 18th) about which there's been some noises back in the Host's lounge.

I know there's folk in London but I might be a bit busy - possibly could squeeze something in on the weekend of 11th/12th if demand is high but not certain.

I've got time in Amsterdam, Reykjavik and Copenhagen but I'm not sure we even have anyone in those places.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be up for a meet in Edinburgh.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to be up for a meet in Edinburgh.

I might well have a two week old baby (plus toddler) at that point, in which case I would have to ask my wife very nicely if she could spare me.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one for Edinburgh!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I (possibly we) could probably be there for Edinburgh too.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunstable? You must have done something pretty bad to be sent to Dunstable.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunstable Downs are lovely! (*and* they have wild wallabies there)

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be up for a London meet

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be up for a London meet too. What would you like to fit into your London visit?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

What makes you think they're especially wild?

As I recall, they have albino wallabies. Assuming it's the same place.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Dunstable? You must have done something pretty bad to be sent to Dunstable.

I befriended a boy when I was 12. Little did I know.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Nothing, I've barely given it a thought other than noting their existence. But they're not in the zoo (from which, presumably, they originally escaped) so living free and unenclosed. That's all.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

orfeo

# 13878

Oh, right! NOT the ones in the zoo. Well, that's exciting.

Well, it's "exciting" if they bounce across the road like the kangaroos do around here...

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We also have quite a few parakeet flocks around here which can surprise visitors but I'm guessing you'll be used to those too.

If you are visiting Holland with time to spare can I recommend Keukenhof gardens and surrounding tulip growing areas, should be amazing at that time of year.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

ooh... well, there are buses for day trips from Amsterdam...

Will have to think about that one!

PS Here is home to the largest flower show in the *southern* hemisphere, so it takes a bit for me to go ooh.

[ 15. March 2015, 12:57: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright Britain's Wild Wallabies. I am not sure how many there are at present. Though you'd be fortunate to see one.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Nothing, I've barely given it a thought other than noting their existence. But they're not in the zoo (from which, presumably, they originally escaped) so living free and unenclosed. That's all.
I used to work in Dunstable as a teenager and often saw wallabies in the Downs [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might be up for a London meet.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could be up for a London meet, more likely the Saturday sometime

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can do London and possibly Dunstable. If it's Dunstable, I may have company, depending on the times.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Alright Britain's Wild Wallabies. I am not sure how many there are at present. Though you'd be fortunate to see one.

Jengie

Ladies and gentlemen, I think it's safe to say my purpose in travelling to the other side of the world is not to see how my local wildlife is doing once transplanted. Thanks all the same.

If you lot had understood their capacity to evade fences...

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easter weekend in Paris doesn't look good for me. [Waterworks] But I do hope to be in Sydney in September.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not in the Netherlands in April, otherwise you'd be welcome. Amsterdam and the Keukenhof are nice, but if you want to sample something of the 'real' Netherlands, also try to go to another city, like Haarlem or Utrecht.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
do we have a quorum for setting up of an Edinburgh meet thread yet ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We might be interested in an Edinburgh meet (she says without consulting her diary) if that makes you quorate.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got something on in the morning of April 18th , but could hot foot it over to Edinburgh immediately afterwards. At a guess could be across for about 13:30...
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make it at around 6 to 8 for Edinburgh at least.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Sorry London folk, I just don't think I can confirm my availability. Murphy's Law says that I'll then end up having plenty of time, but at the moment with personal meet-ups semi-planned with uncertain timing, I couldn't say for sure when I'd be free.

Edinburgh I'm pretty sure I can do, although I do have to double-check because apparently there's going to be some sightseeing type stuff associated with the conference, and if there's anything I'm really keen on there might be a conflict. But last I heard there was talk of a trip to Stirling and I've already been to Stirling - and remember enough to not feel the need for a repeat.

I'll should be able to check for Edinburgh within a couple of days.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Hello Edinburgh.

So, Saturday 18 April would clearly be my best day (could do something like brunch on Sunday 19 at a pinch before flying to Reykjavik!).

Apparently someone from the conference is planning a walk up Arthur's Seat on Saturday morning, which'd be nice (I didn't go up there on my only previous visit), so afternoon or evening would be best.

Apparently there is also a plan for golf on Bruntsfield Links in the afternoon but not sure exactly when, but I'm less fussed about that. I suppose Saturday evening might be better than afternoon but I'm happy to do the afternoon if that's suitable for more people.

Oh, and I'm staying in the Old Town (South Bridge) if that helps with options for venues.

[ 23. March 2015, 00:08: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golf on Bruntsfield Links won't be "Real Golf"™
It's a pitch-and-putt course on a piece of land no bigger than 2 footbal fields, with various paths across it with people waking past.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

^ I know. That's exactly how they're selling it - for those people who don't normally play golf but will go OMG I'm in Scotland.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were you planning to stop off in York at any point?

[ 23. March 2015, 12:07: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Only if the London-Edinburgh train slows down a lot.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Cool]

I'd come to the Edinburgh meet, but we're going to be away that weekend.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm near Dunstable and could meet, depending on the day and time.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Well, anything in Dunstable would have to be during the week (I'm there Tuesday 7 - Friday 10 April), and would have to work around my best friend and his family... which isn't impossible, as I may want a break from his two darling little girls at some point...

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life's gone a bit crazy for me as I'm organising my father in law's funeral along with everything that goes with that.
So if you and Tubbs organise a Dunstable meet I will happily join you if I'm free!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Edinburgh meet. Saturday 18 April, afternoon or evening. Somewhere convenient for South Bridge. Can we fix a time and place? Suggestions?
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be more disposed to an afternoon - which suggests a pub or cafe drop by structure.

My favourite Old Town pub is the Bow Bar in Victoria St - but the furnishings/layout doesn't lend itself very well to casual agglomeration - though the beer is good.

In cafes, there's the Dovecot Studios in Infirmary St. Biblios, on the corner of Chambers St - anyone been there? Or the Revolution Bar at the other end of Chambers St? Actually, if it's casual eating, the Nando's on George IV Bridge is pleasant (I have a high tolerance for piri-piri chicken wings). The Elephant House has the big table - but the queuing up for food makes for very disjointed proceedings IMO.

Back to pubs - I like The Doctors on Forrest Road. They had some good ciders on when I was last in.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a clergy-type with a long journey home, I'd prefer an afternoon too, or early evening. And also thinking about how incredibly busy South Bridge will be come Saturday evening ...

I like Firenze's idea of a drop-by. Doctors' would get my vote for that, as it is big enough, and you can order some nachos'n'stuff as-and-when, and not worry about booking or all arriving at a specific time. Biblios might be similar, but I've never tried it. And it is close to Nandos if people want to progress to there. Maybe we could suggest a window, such as 4-7pm, or something like that?

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Afternoon would suit me better, as a late evening meet would mean having to stay over. I'm not a fan of Nandos, but would go if that was the popular choice.

I haven't been to the Doctors, but am always keen to try out somewhere new.

I'm hoping that both Full of Chips and myself might be there.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't be able to do late afternoon or evening. I might be able to do mid afternoon, depending on Dafling jr.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Here's a link to The Doctors website for them as don't know it.

I would favour an earlier kick off than 4 - say 2.

Orfeo - when do finish clambering over extinct volcanoes?

Also, a start at the Doctors still leaves plenty of options for migrating to a restaurant at some point later on. I was very taken with the Japanese one - Tang - at the top of Candlemaker Row. And the Namaste Kathmandu is always reliable.

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Doctors has Shipmeet pedigree, having been a stopping point for one of the Mad Tours years ago.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

I'm not sure now if I can make this meet. The Elf Lass is at that age now where she needs a bit more entertaining, so a pub/restaurant meet might just be a bit stressful (she's usually good, but I don't want to inflict a bored baby on the group!). If she was a bit older we could nip out to the National Museum if she'd needed a change of scene and a runaround, but I don't think she'd appreciate that just yet. I'll keep an eye on the thread and if she's OK on the day then might head on over to Edinburgh and pop in if it's just a pub meet, but probably best to assume we're not coming for now.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
Doctors has Shipmeet pedigree, having been a stopping point for one of the Mad Tours years ago.

I remember we went to Edinburgh as part of the Mad Tour but couldn't have told you the name of the pub. Whoever would have thought that just a few years later I would have moved to the other end of the country and ended up working just over the road from there! Funny old world.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I'd be fine to start at 2pm. Would probably suit better, in fact. Or if Orfeo will still be hitting wee white balls around Brunstsfield, we could split the difference and go for 3pm.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I think the clambering over extinct volcanoes starts at 10, so it's not a factor for anything in the afternoon. If it's not over in time for lunch I will be creating a diplomatic incident.

Hitting white balls... No idea. Don't worry about it. I'll see if I can find out more but I wouldn't wait on that information.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exceedingly shocked that you're being so skimpy with your London availability, though I guess I shouldn't mutter too much about it seeing as I'm away the weekend you mentioned.

You'll just have to pop over and visit some other time! [Razz]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll watch and see what you decide and maybe join you - I've got to be north of the river for a service at 1pm (who thought services on a Saturday were a good idea?!), but as far as I know scz and the sczlet have no plans. I presume that as you can reserve a table including children Doctors is licensed for small ones (if that's the final decision on location).

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016