homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Teufelchen (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Teufelchen
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
What? Because I think it is a good thing to pray for their conversion? If you think this is a bad thing then I say this is a betrayal of the gospel. This is essentially what it boils down to. I haven't and never will condone violence against anyone but it's not the fault of the prayers. If we as a result a abandon our prayers and believe that they need not convert then we have betrayed our faith.

To quote you from the Purgatory Thread;
quote:
I don't accept that argument and never will. How about we don't poke our noses in each others prayers?

Your prayers are that the prayers of others change to be your prayers. And you ignore that your prayers have a history of being associated with violence. "Well, we don't do that much anymore" is hardly an excuse for the blood.
How about you not poke your nose in other peoples prayers?

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It's not that often you get people calling themselves 'motherfucker'.

That's not right, is it? AO said he fucked Teufelchen's mum, not his own. I mean, I always assumed...

Oh dear. Have I really been misinterpreting that insult for the last, oh, let's say, thirty-five years?

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's just say it suits him (while doubting he's ever had sexual congress with anything other than the odd sock).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My deepest sympathy to the sock.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not sure that God listens to non-Christian prayers. Certainly not of pagans. The example that was given was that of scientologists, and I certainly don't believe that God listens to their prayers. They're a weird cult.

Okay, what about the rest of them?

quote:
Um... just wondering... in your belief, whose prayers do have any value? Do those of (non-Christian) Jews? Muslims? Protestants? Roman Catholics?

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
I'm not sure that God listens to non-Christian prayers. Certainly not of pagans. The example that was given was that of scientologists, and I certainly don't believe that God listens to their prayers. They're a weird cult.

Okay, what about the rest of them?

quote:
Um... just wondering... in your belief, whose prayers do have any value? Do those of (non-Christian) Jews? Muslims? Protestants? Roman Catholics?

I don't know. Obviously I'm willing to give more leeway to those who believe in the triune God.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very noble of you. Of course, what actually matters is how God responds, not how you respond.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Fuck off you cunt. You don't get to make such accusations. Oh yeah, and I fucked your mum.

Whereas you couldn't possibly call this a betrayal of one's faith.
Go ye unto all nations and insult them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, calling them by lewd names, yea, and saying unto them that ye went in unto their mothers. For such is the Kingdom of God.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:

I don't know. Obviously I'm willing to give more leeway to those who believe in the triune God.
Actually, I'm sorry, but it's not obvious to me after some of your posts I've been reading. [Frown] And if I am reading your response incorrectly, I apologize, but are you in genuine doubt about the value of prayers by Roman Catholics or Protestants?

A second but not identical question--do you see the prayers of Roman Catholics and/or Protestants as less valuable than those of Eastern Orthodox?

And a third, do the prayers of different kinds of Orthodox have different levels of value, simply by being by Greek or Russian or other?

[ 01. March 2015, 04:19: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Go ye unto all nations and insult them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, calling them by lewd names, yea, and saying unto them that ye went in unto their mothers. For such is the Kingdom of God.

That's some funny shit right there.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am wondering what Ad Orientem hopes to achieve here. It should be obvious that neither 'because we've always done it', nor 'bollocks I fucked your mum', nor 'your brand of Christianity deserves to die' are going to persuade undecided doubters of the licitness of praying for the conversion of the Jews.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just have a problem with Western, in particular American, hypocrisy

But clearly no problem with whatever flavour of hypocrisy it is that combines foul-mouthed insults with defending authentic faith in Christ.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ad Orientem. How are you feeling mate?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
My deepest sympathy to the sock.

Apparently it goes by the name of 'Ole Crusty'. Or 'Trusty Crusty'. I forget.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
t.

All YOU've got to do, regardless, is unconditionally apologize for the last sentence of this:

quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I still think modern Christianity is generally supportive and friendly toward Jews. However I've never met anyone like Ad Orientem in my daily life, and I don't think his attitudes are particularly typical.

I'd like to think you're right. But I'm also concerned that our preoccupation with appearing to have a rational, civilised debate gives the appearance that we at least tolerate vile antisemitic ethnonationalists like Ad Orientem.

t

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin: Is the apology necessary because you don't believe A.O. is a vile anti-Semitic nationalist or because being an anti-Semitic nationalist is just fine with you?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Palimpsest. Have you stopped beating your wife?

--------------------
Love wins

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
All YOU've got to do, regardless, is unconditionally apologize for the last sentence of this:

quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I still think modern Christianity is generally supportive and friendly toward Jews. However I've never met anyone like Ad Orientem in my daily life, and I don't think his attitudes are particularly typical.

I'd like to think you're right. But I'm also concerned that our preoccupation with appearing to have a rational, civilised debate gives the appearance that we at least tolerate vile antisemitic ethnonationalists like Ad Orientem.

To whom should I apologise for the suggestion that tolerating fascists is at best unnecessary?

Because whoever it is is going to be disappointed.

t

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Jesus.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016