homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » You didn't REALLY write that, did you? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: You didn't REALLY write that, did you?
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While creating a service sheet for Evensong (properly spelt!) a previous vicar included a rubric to the effect that:

'The collection will be taken and presented by the congregation'

Unfortunately he omitted the letter 'p'...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite was not a typo but a mis-read: congregation member reading from Genesis...

The spirit of God was hoovering over the waters....

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, my then parish had a note in the bulletin telling us that the Lenten Array was of unbleached muslim.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Years ago, my then parish had a note in the bulletin telling us that the Lenten Array was of unbleached muslim.

Whereas we were urged to Pray for the Muslins last week.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
My favourite was not a typo but a mis-read: congregation member reading from Genesis...

The spirit of God was hoovering over the waters....

My favourite misread came a week or two before Christmas:
quote:
Mary said to the angel, ‘How can this be, since I am no virgin?’
Probably more accurate than the orthodox view. [Razz]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I may have mentioned this one on the Ship before but it still makes me smile to remember when my company was looking for a cleaner we got loads of CVs where the applicant had experience at "hovering". Sometimes auto-correct is not your friend.

Edited to correct spelling. Preview Post is always your friend but you do have to use it properly.

[ 23. July 2015, 12:20: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then there's the Adrian Plass story of the Sunday School kids doing a presentation to the church about their lessons from Titus, in which five of them are supposed to hold up cards spelling out Titus, but the one holding up the U has slipped out for a pee.

Yeah, well it ought to be true.....

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly a typo - but when I was teaching, I got tired of groping my way through documents with piles of miscellaneous attachments for data, code etc. I decided to insist on submissions in the form of 'one Word document'.

I may have used a lower-case 'w'; one wag emailed to say that he had got his submission down to two words, so would it be OK if he hyphenated them?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I think I may have mentioned this one on the Ship before but it still makes me smile to remember when my company was looking for a cleaner we got loads of CVs where the applicant had experience at "hovering".

I think you should have given them the job. It would have been a really useful ability for mopping floors with soap and water (no footmarks) and dusting high shelves and cornices (no step-ladders needed).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
My mother the school teacher was happy to tell the time her less than impressive principal made a P.A. statement warning students not to conjugate in the halls.

Were they studying Latin? I usually conjugated in the classroom!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just saw this gem, from the files of Captain Obvious:

quote:
A new report shows that sexually active women have a much better chance of getting pregnant than those who remain abstinent, a press release from Eurekalert reports.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just today I read the Minutes of our local URC area meeting held the other night. The writer has written about one church's mums + tots group which she has mistakenly called "Tay and Play".

I presume that it is twinned with a drama group in Dundee.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016