homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Getting Hitched 2015 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Getting Hitched 2015
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You look lovely LMM [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for the lovely comments!

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a classy but simple wedding LMM! [Overused]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frocks! frocks everywhere!

The dresses for my grown-up bridesmaids have turned up in the post (ordered from the UK because attractive, tasteful, made to measure dresses here start at about 400€ each [Eek!] ). They are very golden and shiny and I was worried I was going to get upstaged but I think it’s going to be ok. Guess it would have been my own fault anyway, seeing how I picked them [Biased] They are 1950s style peplum dresses, not big skirts because my own dress is huge and I was thinking of the photos – acres of poof and somewhere underneath we think there might be some people…

I also went to pick up my small bridesmaids’ dresses this lunchtime. They have frills and bows and froof and they are cuteness itself. Their dresses are poofy (frilly petticoats and all) because I figure that at that age, wearing a big poofy dress is kind of the whole point of being a bridesmaid. The two little girls who are going to wear them are Malagasy and they are going to look adorable with their dark skin and black hair and black eyes and red bows.

My dress is also ready and I am going to go and pick it up from mother en rouge this weekend.

To be honest I’ve spent the month of March feeling horribly stressed out and fed up and having a fit of the blues. At least the house move is over now (and I no longer live with the housemate from hell [Yipee] ), so I’m hoping it’s going to get more enjoyable from hereon in. Six weeks to go…

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay, dresses! I am frankly envious of LMM's sewing ability and dress, it looks fab. I have an appointment next week with these people and despite the rather un-me sounding name, I'm very much hoping that will be fun.

Bonne chance, LVER!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those dresses are very pretty.

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
Yay, dresses! I am frankly envious of LMM's sewing ability and dress, it looks fab. I have an appointment next week with these people and despite the rather un-me sounding name, I'm very much hoping that will be fun.

Bonne chance, LVER!

I had the Fairygothmother dresses in mind when I was choosing the pattern for mine! I loved the dresses on their website but simply could not have afforded or justified the expense on such a small budget. They are simply beautiful though, so I hope you find the right one for you. I'm a tiny bit jealous!

I loved making my dress, and am totally pleased that I did, but it had some stressful moments! People kept asking me when I was going to get on and do it (I think I started it with about 3 weeks to go, and sewed the buttons on the back the night before the wedding!). I was confident enough in my own sewing ability to not be concerned, but other people who don't sew were concerned for me and their concern ended up stressing me out!

I think my one regret of making my dress was not going and trying on wedding dresses! I was worried that i'd see something I couldn't afford but fell in love with and then have second thoughts about my choice. I never had regrets about my choice, but I have a slight twinge about not getting to play dress up for a day!

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
(NB, I am familiar with the Crappy Choruses etc thread and none of the horrors feature in our possibles list, especially not that awful one which appears to confuse Jesus with Michael Flatley)

But isn't it a good idea to choose the obvious (and possibly crappy) hymns simply because your non-churchgoing guests might actually know them?
Of the last few weddings I have attended, only one would have had more than a fifth of guests with _any_ knowledge of church services. With people meeting their mates at the workplace and voluntary activities, only a very few people are marrying within their religious tradition and, of course, likely it is only a minority of the (Ontario) population which is religiously active, and that's spreading it between various Christian tribes, several sorts of Muslims, a range of South Asian traditions, and two sorts of Jews. I think it's safe to say that almost nowhere -- saving church groups or the miitary- could one assume any hymn knowledge at all, with the exception of Abide With Me, which folks know from Titanic reruns.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely ideas for frocks ScotsLass. From the name I was expecting black bin bag type ones. I think I'd be very tempted if I was getting married again.
I love your frock LMM, the colour is one of my favourites.
I'm really looking forward to the photos of your LVER. I hope M.LVER is recovering from the flu.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LMM I'd've been very concerned if you hadn't made your own dress! Somewhere I still have the bolero-jacket you made to go with mine - it might even have been worn again since, unlike the dress. You look stunning, and the dress is so very you [Smile]
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
quote:

I had the Fairygothmother dresses in mind when I was choosing the pattern for mine! I loved the dresses on their website but simply could not have afforded or justified the expense on such a small budget. They are simply beautiful though, so I hope you find the right one for you. I'm a tiny bit jealous!

I'm not sure they're in my budget either! I just couldn't resist going and trying them on... My mum has actually offered to pay, so will see how I get on. I'm also debating Kitty & Dulcie, who do lovely things for significantly less cash!
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

This baby has also arrived (in white, not ivory). I’m chuffed. It’s from a previous season and was out of stock everywhere but someone has finally found me one. I couldn’t find anything else that I liked so much/worked so well with my face.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So how is it all going?

Anyone else planning on getting hitched this year?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our youngest daughter is getting married in October and we will take our annual leave and return to the UK two weeks before so we can be involved in the final preparations.
Thank goodness for email, Skype etc. so that we can be in communication, otherwise it could be stressful.
She has just changed her choice of colour for the bridesmaids dresses as the men are now going to be in blue morning dress so waiting to hear which colour she chooses to put her sisters and friends in. She has found a style which will flatter all the different shapes and sizes which is good!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I am back as Madame [Smile]

Don't have the photos yet but they shall be forthcoming once we've got them from the various people.

Everything went extraordinarily, surprisingly well with basically no hitches - all the providers (florist, caterer, venue) were amazing and the sun even shone. They had been forecasting rain the whole week but in the end it was fine all day. We even put the aperitif outside. Then on Sunday there was an apocalyptic storm when all the rain fell that had been waiting in the sky and not falling on Saturday. My Mum's dress was much admired.

I think everyone had a good time.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulation Madam and Monsieur LVER. Sounds lovely, and I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. I was so blitzed by the whole thing that the day went by in a haze. My husband and I wrote notes shortly afterwards that we still look at now and again to remind ourselves about the day.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huge congratulations, Madame & Monsieur en Rouge! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Huge congratulations, Madame & Monsieur en Rouge! [Smile]

Amen! I'm so very happy for you!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Madame et Monsieur en Rouge [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I am back as Madame [Smile]

OMG, I didn't realize that was coming up so soon - congratulations, and yes do post pics, would love to see them!

Glad all went well. Your descriptions earlier sounded sumptuous.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent Madame, so pleased all went well. Congratulations!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Felicitations LVER!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

Congratulations Madame LVER!
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Madame and Monsieur.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and belatedly from here, too.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Madame et Monsieur Rouge

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking forward to some pictures.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably not getting hitched in 2015, but I proposed to Callanish this weekend and she accepted!

My side of things (basically, how to persuade a chocolate cake to do the hard work).

Her side of the story and a plethora of soppy pictures of us.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations! [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations To The Pain & Callanish, from a very occasional poster. Those are some truly lovely soppy photos of you both.

[Soppy not sappy. Learn to type Jt9]

[ 23. June 2015, 21:32: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
Probably not getting hitched in 2015, but I proposed to Callanish this weekend and she accepted!

My side of things (basically, how to persuade a chocolate cake to do the hard work).

Her side of the story and a plethora of soppy pictures of us.

Congratulations!
[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations TTP and Callanish. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Brilliant! Congratulations.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations!
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woohoo to all celebrating weddings! Much flag waving from me.

I have a question on wedding etiquette (where's Sine when you need him?).

Two weddings this year in my family, both events relayed by my eldest sister during a recent visit. One is a nephew's second marriage (to a Buddhist in an Orthodox Church - still trying to work that one out). And the other is a great-nephew's first marriage by a marriage celebrant. No invitations came our way - which is fine - we live a couple of thousand kms away and are not a close family.

I was able to send a card and an antique bible back with my sister for the great-nephew's wedding in August. But the other one (nephew's second marriage) occurred last month, and the bride and groom are currently honeymooning. Should I send them anything other than a belated card? If so, what?

Lord, these things can be complicated!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations TTP and Callanish.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

Congratulations! That's v exciting news!

Tip for relatively stress free wedding planning: be as organised as you know how, and don't care about small details. That's getting us through it at the moment (18 weeks to go!).

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations TTP and Callanish

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations!!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
... No invitations came our way ...

I'm no expert, but I'd have thought that if invitations weren't forthcoming, a card is quite generous enough.

Just my 2p.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I agree with you Piglet. Anything more would be coming from your generosity, not from an obligation.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rule of thumb in my family is that you give a present first time around, not second - and that the rule applies to people who're invited to the bash, not others who are 'aware' but NFI'd.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister is getting married for the 2nd time next month. She is a banker, and essentially owns everything she could possibly want; it is not possible to buy her anything that she actually needs. I can't think of even a token present to buy her. Was in a hardware store yesterday and found myself contemplating gourmet wooden spoons.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bottle of wine to be drunk on a 5th/10th wedding anniversary is now my default gift. Which reminds me, can any Australians recommend a wine company who could send something like that in Melbourne.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

We're at two months to go. We think most things are in order (although musicians are proving difficult, as one of them is being elusive and he's MCing that bit, so delaying everything else). What might we have forgotten?

Also, it turns out that a pixie cut looks ridiculous with a classic veil and a birdcage veil doesn't work either. What else can I try? It's acceptable to just have nothing on my head, isn't it?

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course it is acceptable to have nothing on your head, Scots Lass. You are the bride, you make the rules!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or have something on your head that is not a veil if that doesn't work - flowers, tiara, hat, - whatever you like!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I had very short hair when I got married. I wore a tiara which I think looked fine with the haircut. My mum's suggestion that I got hair extensions was firmly ignored.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016