homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » At the movies - what are you watching? (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: At the movies - what are you watching?
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our church has a small social film group, in which we all (usually about a dozen of us) go to a particular film each month - at the cinema of course! - and then gather for cakes , and cocoa or wine afterward. The leader picks the films from what's on offer; she usually picks films slightly on the arty side of mainstream, on the grounds that we'd probably all see James Bond, Star Wars etc anyway.

Our last three were:

The Dressmaker. Comedy-drama about a woman (Kate Winslet) who returns to the very small Australian town from which she was driven out a few years earlier. Lots of laughs early as it proceeds to a denouement in which she gets engaged to another outsider in the village. Hollywood would have stopped there, but Australian film-makers love a quirky twist, so he dies in a silly accident, and she takes her revenge for past wrongs in another way. Suffice it to say that her dressmaking skills are a key part of how she conquers the town's harridans. Recommended.

Phoenix. German film about a woman who survives a concentration camp and returns home (to Berlin in 1946) only to find that her husband doesn't recognise her. Instead, thinking she is someone else , he gets her to pretend that she is the long-lost wife, so that he (through her)can claim a legacy that has come her way. Intriguing , with a brilliant twist at the end.

Carol. Critically acclaimed with Cate Blanchett starring as a New York lesbian in the 1950s. In one word: boring. [Disappointed] So painfully slow that I walked out and others in the cinema were snoring. Might have been watchable if it had been editted down from 2 hours to 30 minutes, but as it is, a waste of good acting talent.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a Series 7 back in the 1980s but I was more successful as a day-trader a few years earlier. I was rubbish as a stockbroker and supported myself before I was married as a day trader!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016