homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cheeese plus ... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cheeese plus ...
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, in my area bevmo seems to be the goto place for such cheese research. Although I should probably check out Trader Joe's or a frighteningly overpriced market like Whole Foods are Mollie Stone to be sure. Ordinarily my wallet drags me forcibly away from such places.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Red Leicester is the best cheese for toasting IMO, and very underrated. Aged Gouda is a fancier alternative.

I'm very fond of Manchego and ewe's milk cheeses.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Red Leicester! Toasted, of course, but try it on a pizza. A little sprinkled just as it comes from the oven gives a nice extra bit of flavour.

ETA: Because Heaven is the place for cheesy humour...

[ 11. January 2016, 01:00: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My all-time favourite Cheddar is Barber's Cruncher. Fantastic flavour. I assume it got its name because it tends to develop little crunchy calcium deposits on the outside over time.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Red Leicester is the best cheese for toasting IMO, and very underrated. Aged Gouda is a fancier alternative.

I'm very fond of Manchego and ewe's milk cheeses.

Lancashire toasted suits my taste buds better.

Each to her/his own.

Alternatives are good. A ewe's milk Swaledale can be substituted from Wensleydale as an interesting twist. Or Sage Derby melted on chicken.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
This is not precisely true anymore. Like beer, Americans are beginning to learn how to make cheese. You are in California, peruse this list. They will not be found in the regular large market and the will not be cheap. But they are many times better than Kraft and Tillamook.
And, if you look in the right places, you can find UK exports.

Actually, Tillamook makes some aged cheeses that are better than decent. Their Vintage Extra Sharp White Cheddar (aged 2-3 years), while not as complex and well-rounded as a true English Farmhouse Cheddar, is much better than most of the ersatz stuff that gets imported to the US under that name.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is someone pointing out that in some classic novels all problems are solved with cheese.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mind you, Heidi is set in Switzerland, where they sort of invented the stuff. [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
... Sage Derby melted on chicken.

I'm not sure about that - I always think Sage Derby looks lovely on a cheese-board, but I imagine that if you melted it, it would look like a sneeze ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always wondered what kind of cheese it was that Grandfather toasted over on open fire and smeared on bread.
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
... Sage Derby melted on chicken.

I'm not sure about that - I always think Sage Derby looks lovely on a cheese-board, but I imagine that if you melted it, it would look like a sneeze ... [Eek!]
You can say that about a variety of cheeses, really...

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, raclette?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The toast or the sneeze?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gesundheit!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016