homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Sisters of Bethany (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Sisters of Bethany
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the question about the actual benefit to others is a very interesting one ... and it might account for why they were apparently cagey about giving you a straight answer on that one ...

But that might be doing them a disservice ...

[Biased]

I remember seeing a TV interview with an RC abbot once who give the 'reason' for monasticism being important as it's very 'uselessness' in pragmatic, practical terms in a society obsessed with pragmatism and utility ...

It's very 'uselessness' was what made it useful.

An interesting take, I thought, although it wouldn't wash, of course, if anyone were to assess it in pragmatic terms.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So there could be an 'arts for arts sake' rationality behind some of this ...

FWIW, and for my own part, I don't have a difficulty with monasticism nor do I feel the need to question its utility or relevance ...

I'd quite like to go on a monastic retreat at some point.

Of course, as I've already 'bought into' the faith aspects then this isn't a big leap or big issue for me as it would be for someone approaching it from a non-theist perspective - and I can certainly understand questions and objections that atheists, agnostics and Christians who come from traditions that make no provision for the monastic in a formal sense might have or the issues they might raise.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
The Monastery BBC show, 2005, in on Youtube (in USA anyway) here

There was another one I think called The Abbey, where half a dozen women stay in a convent for a month. I have always have trouble finding it, so I don't know if that one is still on line somewhere.

That youtube link is to the first of the four episodes (at least in the UK) of the series.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Retreats - several, only one that lasted a week.

The whole point of a retreat is to be set apart from the daily stresses of life to allow you to think about other issues - to give you space to listen to the still small voice of God. In my experience that's been to explore:
  • different aspects of Christianity,
  • prayer,
  • the future of a parish,
  • team building with a group of others from the same church,
  • not in my experience, but I know ministers who have all spent time on retreat before ordination or taking on a role.

They all had a structure of services - Morning Prayer / Matins, some had a mid morning communion, shared midday meal with grace (or picnic), shared evening meal with grace, evening and maybe night prayer. When the group has been there to understand something there were talks in the morning, with afternoons free or to go and try out ideas based on the morning's talk, or to pray together as a group and come to a consensus, or just to walk the island, explore the area - it depended on the purpose of the retreat.

Yes, retreats are to answer questions, but within yourself or the group you are with, not externally.

Open days are different - an opening up to show what is there and those on duty are willing to talk.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might add something to this thread to note that Abbot Jamison of 'The Monastery' fame wrote two books on the back of the series, which are short enough and, I find, digestible and useful. They're called 'Finding Happiness' and 'Finding Sanctuary'. I think I might read them in that order - the first describes a sort of conceptual framework around the kind of freedom that a monk might be seeking, and the latter is more a kind of practical guide to building prayer into ones life. I've re-read them both, and they continue to influence me.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone else mentioned up-thread that the OPer might consider visiting other, non-Christian, retreats. Buddhism was also mentioned. I think this is an excellent idea for the OPer - and everyone, I suppose - especially the Buddhist suggestion. Buddhism has supernatural accretions attached to it, but is basically non-theist in its philosophy. A person with no religious faith seeking answers to spiritual questions might benefit from a guided inward tour, before asking about other people's perceptions of this unbelieved in god.
Good luck and best wishes to SusanDoris and all seekers.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SusanDoris:
quote:
But no aspect of human evolution has direction, has it.
Well it would probably fall into DH territory to debate this. The point I was trying to make is, that if an atheist wishes to engage with me on why I am a believer (of sorts) I would not start at a point which makes no sense to argue unless the existence of God was already agreed. So I wouldn't start with things like prayer or eternal life or anything like that which makes no sense so long as someone is committed to the view that only beliefs that can generate scientifically testable hypotheses are worth entertaining. Which I suppose is where you are coming from.

Direction in evolution was believed by most evolutionists at the start, hence all the trees with humans at the top, due to our evolved ability to contemplate the cosmos et al. Now it is rejected generally as letting God in by the backdoor, although usually as a reified semi-God, as in the still repeated statements like "Evolution solved this problem" which even atheistic scientists find it hard to avoid. But I admit they would object to me reading into it more than a means of expression.

I see a direction, you don't. Fair enough. Like I said nothing's provable here. And there it should probably end, despite me admitting that it's bad manners trying to have the last word. But the knacker's wagon is surely trundling closer.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The clergy man who seemed flummoxed by the questions may have been there for retreat himself and therefore not obliged to answer questions from other guests. In fact, at retreat houses I have known and have helped run we used to ask guests to respect the fact other people were there for their own needs of retreat and not to question them!

Speaking personally, if I am in retreat I keep fairly strict silence and make sure to keep well away from other people. I certainly wouldn't be answering questions about the nature of prayer or the validity of the life of religious communities.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crunt:
Buddhism was also mentioned. I think this is an excellent idea for the OPer - and everyone, I suppose - especially the Buddhist suggestion. Buddhism has supernatural accretions attached to it, but is basically non-theist in its philosophy.

Obviously, Buddhism varies according to school and practitioner, but generally speaking, while it is certainly non-theist, it is every bit as 'supernatural' i.e. not capable of being explained in purely naturalistic categories as any theistic faith.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday morning, and apart from one small errand, I have the day free to be here!
quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
Nobody else has said this so I'll dive in: they might actually have some fatigue in dealing with being challenged. I've been all over the place faithwise, and went from being an atheist in my upbringing, to a fairly devout Christian, to someone who has become disillusioned and disconnected from faith for various reasons. When I first became a Christian certain individuals around me wanted to challenge me all the time. And faith is a peculiarly difficult human experience to justify. Nobody believes in God because they've been argued into it. They believe because it fits with their experience in some way. It is difficult and personal and wibbly wobbly faithy waithy. And it may be that these people have never been challenged by an atheist, or never thought about it, but in this day and age, for people as committed to faith as they are? It seems unlikely. I think it's mostly happened in some form every day for years. It's your mum or dad or Ricky Gervais or the opinion piece in the newspaper.

It's somebody getting up in your face and saying "But why do you love your husband? He seems like a monster to me.

The big difference being that the husband would be material, not an idea.
quote:
…] If he even exists. How do you know he does? HA! Oh and now that we've established my views on the matter, part II: tell me about your most intimate and vulnerable moments with him." If you go to a person of near infinite patience and politeness, and talk to them like that, the chances are they're going to be polite and patient and get away from you as quickly as possible because they've learned there's no point. In the meantime, you can go away with the smug satisfaction of thinking he has no answers and can't handle that he's wrong.
Yes, that could have happened, but, although I am a naturally confident person, my blindness means that I need help in unfamiliar places, which is a sort of vulnerability and balances out the confidence I think. (That is not well expressed.)
quote:
While the image of Christians in the media is of people who want to talk about Jesus all the time and share their faith whether you want to hear it or not, that is a particular subset. It's probably the more extroverted, people oriented, life and soul of the party type of Christian who wants to do this. People who join monastic orders? Not so many of them fit into this profile. They may be committed to faith, but they committed to a life of quiet contemplation rather than a life of loud argument. Are those of us who say "Nope, not doing this AGAIN!" failing to rise up to an evangelistic opportunity? Possibly, but like I said, people aren't argued into faith. Some people have experiences that bring faith to them and others don't. A particular brain circuit lights up, perhaps. But argument doesn't make it happen.

Going by your post history here, Susan, it seems likely to me that your basic premise was probably something along the lines of "I think God doesn't exist and Christianity is wrong and deluded and probably bad for the world. Explain to me why I'm wrong." Someone invites you into their house, and your response is to try and tear into their most cherished beliefs, their relationship with someone they love more than any other? What do you think they'll feel? Angry? Threatened? Insulted? Suddenly enlightened that the whole basis of their belief is a sham? My best guess is: tired. It is tiring. And like all tiring things, some people love doing it.

Yes, true, but I think and hope I make it clear that I really enjoy meeting people and find myself at ease with any and all.
quote:
There are the Christian version of ultra marathon runners, prepared to argue forever. It's a particular vocation within Christianity, but not everyone has it just because they're Christian. When you're in someone's house,
it's better to respect that.

Thank you for that interesting post and of course good manners always/.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
quote:
Buddhism was also mentioned. I think this is an excellent idea for the OPer - and everyone, I suppose - especially the Buddhist suggestion. Buddhism has supernatural accretions attached to it, but is basically non-theist in its philosophy.

Obviously, Buddhism varies according to school and practitioner, but generally speaking, while it is certainly non-theist, it is every bit 'supernatural' i.e. not capable of being explained in purely naturalistic categories as any theistic faith.
Yes - we are agreed that Buddhism, while non-theistic, does have elements of the supernatural included in aspects of worship and popular belief. I'm not denying these accretions, but I am saying that on an organised retreat in the UK (where the OP lives) a Buddhist retreat will probably focus on an inward meditation; a Christian one will obviously focus on Christ.
A lack of religious faith is not an impediment in a Buddhist retreat, but maybe not so helpful for a Christian one.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:

Susan, I've been to lots of retreat centres, run by Christians of different stripes, including Catholic and Anglican monastics. The atmosphere of a retreat house is very calm, peaceful ... and non-combative. I wouldn't expect (or want) the same kind of atmosphere that exists on a forum like this, where the discussions are high octane and fairly combative. I'm not saying that the opportunity for that wouldn't exist in the context of a retreat house. But when I go to a retreat centre, it's to get some peace, calm and quiet, not to engage in intense discussions about the existence of God. It's an introverted, contemplative form of spirituality. Heaven for an introvert like me. That might (or might not) explain what you perceived as the insulation of a 'soundabsorbing layer'.

I echo Barnabas's recommendation of 'The Monastery' - excellent and enlightening series. And its sister programme, 'The Convent' - a small group of women, most of whom had no religious faith, stayed with some nuns. The encounters were lively and thought-provoking.

I've not met many nuns but the ones I have met were very down-to-earth people, with a lot of wisdom and life experience.

Thank you - that is interesting. I think it is unlikely that I shall venture further at my age [Smile] , but will certainly take a look at those programmes (on the computer). I have in fact watched about a quarter of the men at the monastery one.

[code corrected]

[ 20. February 2016, 10:36: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I think the question about the actual benefit to others is a very interesting one ... and it might account for why they were apparently cagey about giving you a straight answer on that one ...

[Biased]

I remember seeing a TV interview with an RC abbot once who give the 'reason' for monasticism being important as it's very 'uselessness' in pragmatic, practical terms in a society obsessed with pragmatism and utility ...

An interesting take, I thought, although it wouldn't wash, of course, if anyone were to assess it in pragmatic terms.

I have also seen 'religious houses' described as power houses of prayer.

At one time, less so now days, they ran schools, hospitals, old people's homes and hostels for the traveller.

In medieval times they were some of the few places where you could find literacy!
Hence the copying of manuscripts.

Now days they provide retreat centres.

--------------------
It is better to travel in hope than to arrive?

Posts: 267 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Biased]

Hmm...yes, I vaguely remember seeing that one and can begin to understand what he's trying to say. Nothing that's quantifiable, the which likely causes a few scratched heads in a society, even in church circles. Not unlike trying to assess and measure the effectiveness of different modalities of therapy, but that's one for another thread, methinks.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

I cannot judge on such short acquaintance of course, but the impression keeps coming to mind - I've been thinking about the day all the time, except for tap time yesterday - that they insulate themselves with a sort of soundabsorbing layer.

In my busier days I would have loved the thought of such a life!

[Smile]

For me it was going somewhere new and exploring I think. Nowadays, there is too much calm at times!
quote:
If I was patronising towards SusanDoris, I apologise.

If you were, I did not notice!
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
I would think that living in religious community fosters the kind of interior life that is not easily communicated to an observer on the first meeting.
If you are still interested in what the Sisters of Bethany have to say to the questions you have, scheduling another visit might help.

sabine

Thank you for your post.

quote:
99% of Christians to whom I suggest Ship of Fools have zero interest in a discussion group about religion or Christianity (or whatever the Ship is).
"Ongoing discussions about what is the nature of Christianity? You really are weird!" [Smile]

Ah yes, I understand!!
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Belle has a good point. We are a pretty weird breed. Even among religious folk, dissecting theology is high level nerdania.

Others just do not know what they are missing. 
quote:

Thank you . I am able to watch and listen on the computer and have seen about a quarter of that link so far.
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Retreats - several, only one that lasted a week.

The whole point of a retreat is to be set apart from the daily stresses of life to allow you to think about other issues - to give you space to listen to the still small voice of God. In my experience that's been to explore:
  • different aspects of Christianity,
  • prayer,
  • the future of a parish,
  • team building with a group of others from the same church,
  • not in my experience, but I know ministers who have all spent time on retreat before ordination or taking on a role.

They all had a structure of services - Morning Prayer / Matins, some had a mid morning communion, shared midday meal with grace (or picnic), shared evening meal with grace, evening and maybe night prayer. When the group has been there to understand something there were talks in the morning, with afternoons free or to go and try out ideas based on the morning's talk, or to pray together as a group and come to a consensus, or just to walk the island, explore the area - it depended on the purpose of the retreat.

Yes, retreats are to answer questions, but within yourself or the group you are with, not externally.

Open days are different - an opening up to show what is there and those
on duty are willing to talk.

Many thanks for your answer which I have read through several times and think I have a much better idea of the whole subject as a result of this topic.
quote:
Someone else mentioned up-thread that the OPer might consider visiting other, non-Christian, retreats. Buddhism was also mentioned. I think this is an excellent idea for the OPer - and everyone, I suppose - especially the Buddhist suggestion. Buddhism has supernatural accretions attached to it, but is basically non-theist in its philosophy. A person with no religious faith seeking answers to spiritual questions might benefit from a guided inward tour, before asking about other people's perceptions of this unbelieved in god.

With a multitude of problems and worries to solve when I was in my twenties a, and having already come to the conclusion that, although there was
God/force/power somewhere, it did absolutely nothing, I relied on my own inner strength and my mind to get through. I think I can honestly say that I have never sought a spiritual answer, since I knew I could cope on my own. Support of friends helped of course.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by anteater:
SusanDoris:
quote:
But no aspect of human evolution has direction, has it.
Well it would probably fall into DH territory to debate this. The point I was trying to make is, that if an atheist wishes to engage with me on why I am a believer (of sorts) I would not start at a point which makes no sense to argue unless the existence of God was already agreed. So I wouldn't start with things like prayer or eternal life or anything like that which makes no sense so long as someone is committed to the view that only beliefs that can generate scientifically testable hypotheses are worth entertaining. Which I suppose is where you are coming from.
Yes, I think that is right. The more I have read, heard and learnt over the past thirty years, the stronger my total lack of belief in any gods has become.
The Theory of Evolution as I understand things has proved very durable and unshakeable in its basic form although improved knowledge has varied aspects of it, such as it might be more of a bush than a tree.
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
The clergy man who seemed flummoxed by the questions may have been there for retreat himself and therefore not obliged to answer questions from other guests.

They said that he is one of several local priests who help with taking the daily services.
It was his choice to come and talk to me!

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

I hope I have not accidentally missed something - please let me know if I have!

I think I'll go and listen to a bit more of 'The Mitford Girls' by Mary S Lovell now. The Moseley pre-war period was such a dreadful one, wasn't it.

[ 20. February 2016, 13:20: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

@Frankenstein and Miffy ... yes, indeed.

Interestingly, I once saw an online observation by a very 'hot Prot' whom one would have expected to be against monasticism in principle, to the effect that whether his co-religionists liked it or not, the fact remained that almost anything of any significance that happened in Christianity from around the 5th to the 16th centuries - including the Protestant Reformation* - happened with some kind of input from the monasteries.

*Luther being an Augustinian monk, of course.

Of course, as Frankenstein observes, now that health care, hospitality for travellers, education and so on is now carried out through other agencies, then the role of the monasteries and convents has had to change ...

I enjoyed both the BBC 'monastery' and 'convent' series but for a while back in the late '90s/early 2000s, I was concerned that monasteries might reinvent themselves as some kind of yuppy-haven for stressed execs ...

I think that would be a legitimate role, but I'd hate to see 'This retreat is brought to you by PricewaterhouseCoopers' ...

[Biased] [Razz]

I'd like to look up the books by the Abbot that Mark in Manchester cites, but I seem to remember that he ended up leaving the monastery after some tensions with the monks ... perhaps because they thought he was commercialising things ... I dunno.

Mind you, back in the day of course, monasteries were not averse to pinching one another's relics and so on in order to attract more pilgrims and more revenue ...

There's always going to be a tension between the simple monastic life and the need to pay the bills and keep the cloister roof over your head ...

I've always been struck by the irony that much of Glasgow's substantial drink problem revolves around Buckfast Abbey produce ... the notorious 'Buckie' ...

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine

Which doesn't stop me imbibing an occasional bottle of Belgian Trappist ale ...

So perhaps this resolves the conundrum of what monastic communities are 'for' ...

They can provide peaceful locations for retreat and contemplation, they can produce jars of artisan honey, they can produce deadly beverages to get you pissed ...

[Ultra confused]

Incidentally, as the TV series have been mentioned, has anyone seen the French feature film, 'Of Gods And Men'?

Marvellous film. All about those French monks who were abducted and killed by jihadist militants during the Algerian civil war of the 1990s.

It won the Grand-Prix at Cannes in 2010.

If you haven't seen it, do so. It's a real gem.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
With a multitude of problems and worries to solve when I was in my twenties a, and having already come to the conclusion that, although there was
God/force/power somewhere, it did absolutely nothing, I relied on my own inner strength and my mind to get through. I think I can honestly say that I have never sought a spiritual answer, since I knew I could cope on my own. Support of friends helped of course.

If you have continued to think of God as a genie who is supposed to be on call through prayer by those who cannot cope, it is no wonder you reject the whole concept of God and prayer.

Spiritual seeking is facilitated within a retreat, as is spiritual refreshment. I would have hoped that the facilitators of the retreat may have been ready to speak to you about their concepts of prayer and of God.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

Thank you . I am able to watch and listen on the computer and have seen about a quarter of that link so far.
As someone else mentions, there are 4 sessions in the series. Originally 3 -

First of the series Second of the series Third of the series of 3

Then 18 months later, a 4th, where they followed up with the men. Monastery Revisited

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
quote:

If you have continued to think of God as a genie who is supposed to be on call through prayer by those who cannot cope, it is no wonder you reject the whole concept of God and prayer.

I am going to admit I am going through a similar period of spiritual futility ( still believe in God, don't believe God gives a shit about me), and if I tried to be honest to someone about my struggles and recieved the above response, it might be just enough to tilt the balance toward, "Fuck it."

I don't expect God to be a genie that gives me a smooth ride through life, but yeah, since I am a Christian, I have been taught the third person of the trinity is called The Comforter, and when I pray for help and even that inner peace evades me, it is easy to feel like I have been abandoned.

The next step in this dance is someone telling me, " what have you done to distance yourself from God, then?" Right?

Please don't read this as a pitch for All Saintsy support, I am really concerned about how we, as Christians ( even half assed Christians such as myself) approach people who are in that space. The above response strikes me as catastrophically insufficient.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am going to admit I am going through a similar period of spiritual futility ( still believe in God, don't believe God gives a shit about me), and if I tried to be honest to someone about my struggles and recieved the above response, it might be just enough to tilt the balance toward, "Fuck it."

I don't expect God to be a genie that gives me a smooth ride through life, but yeah, since I am a Christian, I have been taught the third person of the trinity is called The Comforter, and when I pray for help and even that inner peace evades me, it is easy to feel like I have been abandoned.

The next step in this dance is someone telling me, " what have you done to distance yourself from God, then?" Right?

Please don't read this as a pitch for All Saintsy support, I am really concerned about how we, as Christians ( even half assed Christians such as myself) approach people who are in that space. The above response strikes me as catastrophically insufficient.

Thank you for your challenge to my challenge, KA.

No, I wouldn't have followed it with 'what have you done ....' I was addressing SusanDoris who is a confirmed atheist, and if this was and still is who she thinks God is, I'm not surprised. It strikes me that our own image of who God is and what prayer is supposed to do is what so often stands in the way of faith, particularly when it doesn't work the way we expect it to and we become disappointed and disillusioned.

I would be interested to hear what you think I might have said, instead. I can't and shouldn't promise anything from God, other than that we are all loved, that it is worthwhile speaking to God in prayer, in trust that we will be held through the hard times, (even though we sometimes feel abandoned), we will sometimes be knowingly blessed, and it will be a rough ride.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
The clergy man who seemed flummoxed by the questions may have been there for retreat himself and therefore not obliged to answer questions from other guests.

They said that he is one of several local priests who help with taking the daily services.

It was his choice to come and talk to me!

Fair enough. That wasn't clear from the opening post.

[ 20. February 2016, 19:54: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not trying to do All Saints here, but this spiritual futility/no-peace thing is a known stage of the Christian life. A very nasty one.

IMHO anyone who doesn't recognize that and says instead "what have you done to bring this on" or similar is simply making it clear to the world in general that they are too immature to have experience it themselves.
[Big Grin] [Disappointed]

Like two-year-olds giving teenagers advice on their love lives.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Thank you for your challenge to my challenge, KA.

No, I wouldn't have followed it with 'what have you done ....' I was addressing SusanDoris who is a confirmed atheist, and if this was and still is who she thinks God is, I'm not surprised. It strikes me that our own image of who God is and what prayer is supposed to do is what so often stands in the way of faith, particularly when it doesn't work the way we expect it to and we become disappointed and disillusioned.

I would be interested to hear what you think I might have said, instead. I can't and shouldn't promise anything from God, other than that we are all loved, that it is worthwhile speaking to God in prayer, in trust that we will be held through the hard times, (even though we sometimes feel abandoned), we will sometimes be knowingly blessed, and it will be a rough ride.

Well, for one, telling SusanDoris that she was expecting a genie God was a gigantic overstatement of what she actually said. Your last paragraph above is a lot more reasonable.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly Alves:
quote:
I tend to think of "Comforter" in an old-fashioned sense. The origin of the root of comfort is the Latin fortis- strength. I might not feel much better, but I am given the strength to hang in there. At least that is what I've told myself in my own darker moments.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
If you have continued to think of God as a genie who is supposed to be on call through prayer by those who cannot cope, it is no wonder you reject the whole concept of God and prayer.[//QB]

God was only ever a 'force/power', there to provide support, encouragement and help to those who helped themselves. I never 'rejected' God, the idea simply became less and less important and finally irrelevant, so I simply erased it from the minute space it occupied in my brain.
quote:
[QB]Spiritual seeking is facilitated within a retreat, as is spiritual refreshment. I would have hoped that the facilitators of the retreat may have been ready to speak to you about their concepts of prayer and of God.

Yes, that would have been most interesting.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Bell ringer
Thank you for the extra links.
quote:

There are times, aren't there, when you'd really like to lodge a very strong complaint against that part of the evolutionary process which provides us with an unexchangeable set of genes with which we have to face all life's circumstances. That sounds a bit flippant, but it's not at all meant that way.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my experience from attending a number of retreats, in a friary, in retreat centres and set up locally, within a day long retreat, there may well be sessions on prayer, planned for all, or sessions on the meaning of Christianity today. Usually those kinds of retreats are set up for a group, with speakers invited to lead sections of the day, and maybe available to chat afterwards, or group discussions afterwards, or a chance to try out the different forms of prayer and feed back when the group meets again.

This day sounds as if it was a retreat set up to ponder Lent, as that's what the talk in the morning was directed towards, and those there will be focussed on those ends, in community, contemplation and silence, from the description. The Julian Prayer group in the afternoon is a regular fixture, but the themes are likely to be Lenten on the first Wednesday of Lent.

When the group is there for a day with a purpose it isn't always appropriate to ask for your needs to be met, and there may not be people available to meet those needs.

A longer retreat gives more space for those conversations, possibly: many people on retreats choose to be completely or largely silent. The contemplation sessions may mean people read, draw, use clay, write ...

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are times, aren't there, when you'd really like to lodge a very strong complaint against that part of the evolutionary process which provides us with an unexchangeable set of genes with which we have to face all life's circumstances. That sounds a bit flippant, but it's not at all meant that way.

This is worth a thread of its own I think. I have my own inherited troubles (ADHD, dyslexia, psoriasis, arthritis) and very much see them as part of who I am - they are small things yet have shaped my life. But I meet a lot of VI and blind people in the course of my 'work' and I am totally in awe of how you/they cope.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The big difference being that the husband would be material, not an idea.

I was pretty sure you were going to say that. Normally I consider the "but God is real to this person" as a cop-out, as I'm sure you do. This is one situation in which it is important. God is real to this person. This person loves God more than anything, more than they'd love their husband if they had one. You can say that they're loving an imaginary friend. That's fine. The friend doesn't actually have to be real for the love, the commitment and the loyalty to be real. My point is that when someone interrogates you about love, it doesn't come across well. When someone has an intense, intimate relationship with a spouse, or God, or a particularly beautiful pet rock, it is an expression of entitlement to assume they owe you an explanation for that. It's an expression of entitlement to assume that somebody should be "interested in my opinions" at an event where that isn't the focus. To be frank: why would they be interested in your opinions? Do you think they've never met an atheist before? Do you think that they don't already know, basically, what your view is of their faith?

The denizens of SoF are, as others have noted, a particularly argumentative bunch. We like a good philsophical barney. But don't forget that whenever you jump in with your "I think you're a bunch of deluded idiots; discuss" posts, and a bunch of shippies do in fact discuss, there are an awful lot of others who've taken the opportunity to not have this dicussion. Not because they're wrong and they know it and they just don't want to face the truth, but just because there's other stuff to do and hashing out whether or not God exists isn't necessarily everyone's idea of a good time. When you corner someone at an event, you're not even doing something like posting here, where people can take or leave your OP. You're grabbing the most important relationship of their life, getting in their face and telling them to justify it. I'll grant you that there are some roles you shouldn't get into if you don't want to do that: you shouldn't be a hospital chaplain or a theology professor, for example. It doesn't matter that you don't think God is real: their relationship, their views of God do not follow the rules of what you think is real. I've seen so many atheists say versions of "Mr Christian over there has no right to be annoyed that I called his God the Psycho Sky Pimp because his God isn't real so it doesn't matter what I call him because he has no right to be upset or defensive over something that isn't real." As though anyone ever needed "a right" to feel the things that they feel.

I'm not going to quote the rest of your post because the gist of it seems to be along the lines of "this is the kind of person I am. I am confident in these respects, and I like talking to everyone about lots of things." Fine. We already know that. My point is that you're not the only person in these interactions, and when you treat the situation as though you are, it can come across as entitled. When you act as though showing respect for another person's beliefs will somehow make your argument less persuasive (something many, many people do when debating religion) you don't bring out the best in people. If you really want to know what makes a religious person tick, if you really want to understand their beliefs even while believing something completely different yourself, this is not how you do it. How you do it is invite them into conversation about the topic, specifically, on a one-to-one basis, when they're not trying to manage some other event. You respect their right to say that they don't want to have that conversation, but if they do, you listen more than talking, and you enable a relationship to build. And then you might eventually start to get it.

On the other hand, if what you actually want more than understanding is to score some cheap points against someone whose beliefs you don't respect, then go and take a bulletpoint list of why they're an idiot and expect them to respond on demand. Just don't expect others to thank you for that approach.

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

This seems like a good time to remind everyone of Commandment 4:

If you must get personal, take it to Hell

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Normally I consider the "but God is real to this person" as a cop-out, as I'm sure you do. This is one situation in which it is important. God is real to this person. This person loves God more than anything, more than they'd love their husband if they had one. You can say that they're loving an imaginary friend. That's fine. The friend doesn't actually have to be real for the love, the commitment and the loyalty to be real. My point is that when someone interrogates you about love, it doesn't come across well. When someone has an intense, intimate relationship with a spouse, or God, or a particularly beautiful pet rock, it is an expression of entitlement to assume they owe you an explanation for that.

You use the word 'interrogate' rather strongly here.

I think many Christians love being asked about their faith! It happens so rarely. Then they get a chance to 'witness' (I hate that word!). When I loved God with a passion there was nothing I liked better than to talk about him (what a bore I was).

Now I will talk about God when asked - but most Christians I know don't like my views and call them 'lukewarm'. Ho hum.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I think there are also assumptions being made here about the churchmanship of people who go on retreats. In my experience, those who choose retreats tend to be quieter, introverted Christians, who like silence - because that's what a retreat is all about.

If I am on retreat I've paid for silence and time apart to pray, maybe about a specific issue, maybe just to re-centre myself. I am really not looking for lots of chat and discussion. I would quietly find somewhere else to be away from anyone who was too chatty.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Normally I consider the "but God is real to this person" as a cop-out, as I'm sure you do. This is one situation in which it is important. God is real to this person. This person loves God more than anything, more than they'd love their husband if they had one. You can say that they're loving an imaginary friend. That's fine. The friend doesn't actually have to be real for the love, the commitment and the loyalty to be real. My point is that when someone interrogates you about love, it doesn't come across well. When someone has an intense, intimate relationship with a spouse, or God, or a particularly beautiful pet rock, it is an expression of entitlement to assume they owe you an explanation for that.

You use the word 'interrogate' rather strongly here.

SusanDoris really hasn't said much about the content of her discussions with the Sisters, if you go back and read the posts, but people seem to be deciding in their heads what the discussions must have been like and assessing the situation from there.

It's one thing to question someone's attitude and motivations- even vigorously--it's another to tell them what those are and to argue at them from there. Just seems like an unwise idea.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I think there are also assumptions being made here about the churchmanship of people who go on retreats. In my experience, those who choose retreats tend to be quieter, introverted Christians, who like silence - because that's what a retreat is all about.

If I am on retreat I've paid for silence and time apart to pray, maybe about a specific issue, maybe just to re-centre myself. I am really not looking for lots of chat and discussion. I would quietly find somewhere else to be away from anyone who was too chatty.

...though not all retreats are silent retreats, and not all retreat houses are silent places.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

No, I realise that not all retreat centres are silent and not all retreats are silent or even Christian or based on prayer.

Julian Meetings are contemplative - from the Julian Meeting site:
quote:
The main requirement for a Julian Meeting is that there should be a substantial period of silence. The most usual length is 30 minutes. It should not be less than 20 minutes and can be as long as the meeting decides. This is not interrupted in any way
And they also run quiet days as introductory days.

I would have expected a visit to the Sisters of Bethany on a Julian meeting day to be based on silence.

But I was really questioning Raptor Eye and Boogie who were saying but of course someone there would be happy to answer any queries, when on retreats. That isn't necessarily so.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelly Alves: SusanDoris really hasn't said much about the content of her discussions with the Sisters, if you go back and read the posts, but people seem to be deciding in their heads what the discussions must have been like and assessing the situation from there.
Several people have asked Susan what the content of her conversation was. Over the past couple of days she hasn't answered that question.

Given that she herself opened this topic in Purg, thereby indicating that she wants a discussion about this, I feel entitled to speculate by now.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

So, I scrolled back to the place where you did ask what she asked, and saw her prompt answer that seemed to indicate that she really didn't get the opportunity to ask much, but she briefly gave an example of asking about the benefits of monastic life. Some people ( quite reasonably) suggested reasons the nuns might not be inclined to answer questions-- it was a retreat, for goodness sake, they were "retreating";not everyone can or desires to field a religious debate; "outside of office hours"; etc. Other people seem to be assuming the tone of the questions were accusatory or superior or combatative, and responding from that premise. As there is nothing really to suggest that-- nothing on this particular thread, anyway--it reads odd to me.

You seem to be saying though that if you aren't answered your own questions in a way that you feel is sufficient, you are entitled to believe the worst. Since* I *don't roll that way, I will give you the opportunity to tell me I got that wrong before I argue with you from that premise.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what exactly are we supposed to discuss on this thread?

[ 22. February 2016, 10:56: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Discuss whatever you want, but your comments are just as up for analysis as anyone else's are. As are mine.

[ 22. February 2016, 11:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

As far as I can see, this thread is about Susan saying that a certain vicar was flummoxed by a conversation they didn't have. And saying anything more about it is unwise speculation.

Interesting thread.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

To put it another way, if I were going to speculate, I would say her brief conversation and her subsequent dissatisfaction suggests she felt uncomfortable about asking any more questions at all, and just stopped.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
As far as I can see, this thread is about Susan saying that a certain vicar was flummoxed by a conversation they didn't have. And saying anything more about it is unwise speculation.

Interesting thread.

I never said you had to agree with me, the "unwise" bit was my opinion.

--------------------

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may perhaps have got the wrong end of the stick, in which case I apologise. Susan has a particular kind of posting history on SoF. I must admit that I assumed a rather combative tone based on that, and on the "nothing to say to an atheist" thing.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I totally agree she made a few assumptions of her own.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

Here is the thread which SusanDoris started as she wanted to challenge the place of religious orders in today's society. This gives some background.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Thanks, that does help.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Apologies for not posting yesterday - I'd been listening to the videos, felt a bit odd so spent the rest of the day being checked over! All wel. [Smile]
I've read new posts quickly and will be back later.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I can’t rationally see the point of is human life at all.

They are two areas which indicate what it may be and both are areas the religious life witnesses to. Neither can be presented as a logical argument.

One is caring and being cared for by other humans as of infinite respect, without necessarily the complications of sexual involvement.

The other is silent prayer. When I am silent before God for a period, not trying to think or feel anything, then I know I, and all other humans, are of value just for being, not for doing or owning.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016