homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yoked together with unbelievers...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Yoked together with unbelievers...
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the last two years I have been attending a wonderful group in Henley that meets monthly to discuss 'big issues'. The twist is that both Skeptics and Believers are invited to speak, and take part in the discussions. I have met many lovely people from both sides or the argument during these evenings, made friends and had my thinking challenged!

I also take part in a local Sharing of Faiths dinner party where people of all faiths (and none) are randomly allocated to a dinner party. Always great fun, great food and again thought provoking.

What 'interfaith' (for want of a better phrase) are you involved in, what are your experiences?

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How is it a "twist" to have a discussion group containing sceptics and believers?
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
How is it a "twist" to have a discussion group containing sceptics and believers?

Well, in my experience Christians tend to have discussion group own their own, as do skeptics.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it depends on where the social group originated from. If it was an environment where there are likely to be roughly equal numbers of believers and unbelievers, I could easily see the discussion group being balanced. If it was the bright idea of somebody in a church setting (or the local atheist equivalent, whatever that might be), I wouldn't expect a balance. Groups tend to perpetuate whatever culture they came out of.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

This group was set up by both an atheist, and his best friend who is a Christian. The balance in number swings towards the unbeliever, but only just.

I think it is a great thing to bring people together and break down the demonising tendencies of both sides!

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, one of the places where believers, atheists and sceptics can have discussions together is called Ship of Fools.

However, my experience with these discussions have been mixed (why this is so would be more Purgatorial than All Saintsy).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Of course, one of the places where believers, atheists and sceptics can have discussions together is called Ship of Fools.

Amen to that!
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

Although a face to face conversation is very different to an online one, there was one person who online seemed quite aggressive, but when I met him in person he was very gentle and nice... like Jekyll and Hyde!
Agnostic Believer
Apprentice
# 18566

- Posted      Profile for Agnostic Believer   Author's homepage   Email Agnostic Believer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
Although a face to face conversation is very different to an online one, there was one person who online seemed quite aggressive, but when I met him in person he was very gentle and nice... like Jekyll and Hyde!

Putting someone behind a computer screen often has much the same effect as putting someone behind a car windscreen.....they suddenly sprout devil's horns.

--------------------
Saying what I think I might know, helps me to know what I ought to think.

Posts: 22 | From: Holt, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing organised, although I have always felt it to be too claustrophobic to only mix with other Christians, so have tended to make friends with all sorts of people, whatever their personal beliefs (or none).

One of my best friends / discussion partners described herself as a 'white witch', another as a 'new age believer'. We had some great discussions about all sorts of things and I felt the richer for these insights. I hope they felt the same.

Sadly, they have both now moved away (and online communications tend to be more of the grandparent and fluffy kitten variety).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the closest Quaker community is 2 days train ride away and I am surrounded by Muslim & Hindu neighbours, with the odd Christian household here and there, most of my life is spent in a sort of interfaith manner - it is fun.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016