homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Retirement (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Retirement
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My advice get a dog, it forces you to get out for a walk each day, and is a great way of making new friends young and old. I now have friends who are waiting for the school bus each morning and they are teaching me all kinds of new things such as why one kind of bike is so much better then the rest, and what TV shows I should be watching. I now have coffee with several other dog walkers. Invite friends over for for a visit on a regular basis. I have a standing gin visit with our neighbors twice a month. Volunteer where you feel useful and that you enjoy the work. if it is not fun for you do something else. I helped for a while with a feeding program, I enjoyed our guests but those that ran the program were filled with drama. I am to old to want to listen to drama at this stage in life and I moved on to help run the free library at the Senior Center. Make goals. I start each birthday by saying what new thing that I want to accomplish in the coming year. I have taken up painting, acquired and trained a dog, visited a distant city, and learned to play a dulcimer. Finally help others to learn that , "NO," is a complete sentence.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GI, you're on the Quotes thread in The Circus.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Graven Image: I am to old to want to listen to drama at this stage in life
And yet, you are on the Ship [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Make goals. I start each birthday by saying what new thing that I want to accomplish in the coming year. I have taken up painting, acquired and trained a dog, visited a distant city, and learned to play a dulcimer. Finally help others to learn that , "NO," is a complete sentence.

Yes...but... for someone whose working life was full of goal-setting, maybe the only goal in rertirement is to enjioy and savour being instead of doing.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My esteemed father's goal setting consisted of wanting to still be breathing the following morning!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
My advice get a dog, it forces you to get out for a walk each day, and is a great way of making new friends young and old. I now have friends who are waiting for the school bus each morning and they are teaching me all kinds of new things such as why one kind of bike is so much better then the rest, and what TV shows I should be watching. I now have coffee with several other dog walkers. Invite friends over for for a visit on a regular basis. I have a standing gin visit with our neighbors twice a month. Volunteer where you feel useful and that you enjoy the work. if it is not fun for you do something else. I helped for a while with a feeding program, I enjoyed our guests but those that ran the program were filled with drama. I am to old to want to listen to drama at this stage in life and I moved on to help run the free library at the Senior Center. Make goals. I start each birthday by saying what new thing that I want to accomplish in the coming year. I have taken up painting, acquired and trained a dog, visited a distant city, and learned to play a dulcimer. Finally help others to learn that , "NO," is a complete sentence.

[Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
I'm hoping for basic survival; never mind comfort!

In that case, you'll do just fine. Much better to expect to live simply and have a few lovely surprises than to live in resentment and eternal disappointment. I can think of people who fit into both these camps and know which are the happiest....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Much better to expect to live simply and have a few lovely surprises than to live in resentment and eternal disappointment.

Wise words and most definitely the kind of retirement I hope to achieve in four or five years time.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simplicity is what many of us will have no choice about. To me, the crunch point will be whether I can afford to run a car or not. The current thinking is that it costs £3,500 p.a. to run a car in the UK. Certainly, for that price you can get many, many taxis. And the occasional rail fare.

But I do like the freedom and independence of instant transport outside the door.

[ 10. April 2016, 11:42: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does that figure assume you are doing a huge mileage ?

I am not retired, but I spend less than half that on running a car, admittedly always an old one.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot depends on depreciation.

If you buy (say) a 3-year old car for £7k, keep it for 5 years and sell it for £3k, that's £800 p.a. before you've moved an inch.

If you buy a new car for £15k and sell it for £10k after 2 years, that's £2,500 p.a.

(If you have a Maserati, the depreciation may well be negative!)

Of course the old car may cost you more in maintenance and servicing!

And there's also tax and insurance: a little car like mine is in a low insurance group and road tax is only £20. All these costs come in before you've moved an inch.

In my congregation I had an older man who gave up driving and sold his car. He'd only been using to make two short shopping trips per week. He then used the bus, with his free pass. I suggested that he get a taxi as it would be easier: "Oh no", he said, "That would be extravagant". I tried to point out that this would still cost him less than his old car; but old habits die hard and he wouldn't shift his view. (Lack of money wasn't an issue here BTW).

[ 10. April 2016, 12:44: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL, some of my friends just bought a car for £200.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never had depreciation as such as I've never sold a car, only scrapped them.

I buy one for around £500, and as and when something big goes wrong with it that would require major maintenance, I scrap it and buy another one. Maybe I've been lucky but I've found this to be very cost effective.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

quote:
In my congregation I had an older man who gave up driving and sold his car. He'd only been using to make two short shopping trips per week. He then used the bus, with his free pass. I suggested that he get a taxi as it would be easier: "Oh no", he said, "That would be extravagant".
That's a generational thing, isn't it? Try to persuade my elderly mother to take a taxi to get to a hospital appointment - you'd think we'd all be heading straight for Carey Street.

That said, running or not running a car after retirement takes a bit of careful thought. At my last house move 7 years ago I deliberately chose to move to a place with excellent public transport links. After all, if you live long enough you're eventually going to have to stop driving anyway. Didn't want to be stuck is a lovely country village but with no way out once my driving days are done.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
running or not running a car after retirement takes a bit of careful thought

I'd love to be free of what I call the burden of car ownership. But where I am now, a car is a necessity. After my father dies, I hope to change residences to a place where I could do without a car.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I retired at the end of 2014; my DH in September 2015.

In a word, it's great. We have taken our time to adjust to retirement and did not immediately dive into activities like volunteer work that might not have panned out. At this point we have taken on some volunteer activities and we enjoy them a lot.

We set up a loose schedule to help keep us organized. I do think that some sort of structure to one's day is a good idea, but it certainly doesn't have to be a straightjacket. We are careful of our expenditures but allow ourselves a meal or two out every week as a treat.

So far no mental mushiness. We keep busy without feeling frazzled. We have plenty of time to run errands and do household tasks. We're also seeing more of our friends than we ever did while working. We're very grateful that we were able to retire and we are enjoying it immensely.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Merchant Trader
Shipmate
# 9007

- Posted      Profile for Merchant Trader     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I will retire from work at the end of this month. In a lot of ways this is definitely a Good Thing because for the last year or so I've been finding my job extremely draining and it hasn't left me any energy for anything else.

However, as the time approaches I've started to feel a bit anxious. What am I going to do with myself all day? Will my brain turn to mush? Will I become an obese couch-potato? Should I sign myself up for a course or some voluntary work or just hang loose?

How are other shipmates planning for or dealing with this big life change?

--------------------
... formerly of Muscovy, Lombardy & the Low Countries; travelling through diverse trading stations in the New and Olde Worlds

Merchant Trader
Shipmate
# 9007

- Posted      Profile for Merchant Trader     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, long time since I posted.

I just wanted to say I share the same anxeity as Chamois.

80% of friends seem much happier (and healthier) after retirement. Some seem active and I envy them. Others seem very inactive and I fear that will happen to me. Some seem to be doing really exciting things other seem content being in a much lower gear. Will I get bored?

I have put it off for now but even if I hang on in there the choice may be made for me sometime this year.

Still not sure whether I am excited or fearful. probably both.

I

--------------------
... formerly of Muscovy, Lombardy & the Low Countries; travelling through diverse trading stations in the New and Olde Worlds

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
running or not running a car after retirement takes a bit of careful thought

I'd love to be free of what I call the burden of car ownership. But where I am now, a car is a necessity. After my father dies, I hope to change residences to a place where I could do without a car.
Have a look at lease cars. Small cars can be leased for very good rates. It takes all uncertainty out of car owning - you pay **so much** a month and that's it - everything is covered, no extra or unexpected costs.

We went down to one car when we retired, but I get first dibs on it as Mr Boogs has a bike [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you live where they operate, there are ZipCars -- cars that you rent for just a few hours, often one-way. If I move to a community where there are ZipCars I plan never to own my own vehicle again. Between the purchase price, garage, gas, maintenance and insurance, it is a major expense.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since we gave up our car three years ago we've relied on a mixture of zip cars (very useful for times when you just need a car for an hour or two) and a very reasonably priced local car hire place. It's worked for us. Of course if you don't have either near where you are, or are likely to end up, not so good.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

We went down to one car when we retired, but I get first dibs on it as Mr Boogs has a bike [Smile]

We went down to one car when we retired, but I get first dibs on it as Mr C has a bus pass [Smile]

(pity there are hardly any buses....)

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

It would be rather difficult to take Twiglet with you on a bicycle.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I don't know: see this and this.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I retired in May 2014, just before my 63 birthday. I had no choice as the company I had been working for closed down due to the owners ill health. My prospects of getting another at that age were very poor.Here in Australia you able to collect your superannuation at 60 so I did. I have a small allocated pension from my super and it is enough to get by. When I turn 65 in June I can get the aged pension as allocated pensions are not classed as income. That is, not at this stage, but who knows with our present government!! Financially I am much better now off as I had been working casually for the last 10 years so money was not all that regular.

I have absolutely no regrets. I have joined a garden club, the National Trust and am on the executive committee for both. I volunteer at another church which produces Christmas puddings from July onwards each year as well as playing for a monthly communion service at a nursing home. Have lots of 'coffee and cake mornings as well as lunches with relatives and friends.

However, there are some days when I wish I was still at work! I miss the commaradre.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I missed the camaraderie, but then joined Facebook and found it still there, just on the internet instead. It's great to keep in touch with work colleagues online.

[ 18. April 2016, 20:38: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016