homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The millstone that is S**** L****** (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The millstone that is S**** L******
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Mmm, yes please! And I like my steak rare.

So that's me fucked under the OT then.

Can't help you with the black pudding, but the red oozing from your steak is myoglobin, not blood.
Yes. If it were blood, then cooking your steak would give you steak with cooked blood, not steak without blood.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
But we ignore those as well don't we? Black pudding anyone?

"We" yourself. I don't eat black pudding.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
it's rare to see women, especially younger ones, wearing hats or scarves in church, outside of certain conservative Protestant (the Church of Christ springs to mind) or African-American circles.

Once again, the Orthodox are chopped liver.

[ 25. February 2016, 04:04: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Jane R wrote "I do not eat shrimp, but if I did, I could quite easily justify it by referring to Peter's dream in Acts 10." No she can't.

You can't read Acts 10 and conclude that God only lifted dietary bans through this dream. The chapter literally says that God did more than that. Period.

I don't understand what is being argued about. It seems to me that it isn't possible to take at least some of the New Testament teaching on face value. For example, does anyone think it appropriate/proportionate to lop off your own limbs to avoid sin?

I don't see that one is forced to accept from Acts 10 that all foods are acceptable to eat to make the allegory work.

In reality, I think that the best argument the against the application of food requirements for the Christian is that they only ever applied to the Jewish covenant people - and as most/all of us are Gentiles these things never applied to us in the first place anyway.

Incidentally I think this is basically applies to all of the OT laws including the Ten Commandments, given that these were only given to Moses and the people rather than to the whole world in the first place. Our status of being excluded from the provisions of the first covenant is nothing to do with our failure to live up to the law and everything to do with the fact that we're not Jewish. It seems fairly clear that even if we did follow the Law to the latter, it'd make absolutely no difference if we have the wrong parents.

The nature of the NT and the Kingdom is to sweep away all that stuff. But then the struggle is understanding how to understand and contextualise the OT for the Christian.

--------------------
arse

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:

Can't help you with the black pudding, but the red oozing from your steak is myoglobin, not blood.
Yes. If it were blood, then cooking your steak would give you steak with cooked blood, not steak without blood.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
But we ignore those as well don't we? Black pudding anyone?

"We" yourself. I don't eat black pudding.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
it's rare to see women, especially younger ones, wearing hats or scarves in church, outside of certain conservative Protestant (the Church of Christ springs to mind) or African-American circles.

Once again, the Orthodox are chopped liver.

Ugh, I've even been denounced as a backslider by a would-be orthodox woman who sported short hair, 'to her shame' and the great scandal of angels in heaven.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, that's a relief than. Still not giving up my BP mind...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How much longer until we get to the number of angels pleasuring themselves on a pinhead argument?

Surely the point is that the generally-perceived great good that can be distilled from the bible does, in fact, require some degree of distillation. The descriptive power of allegory is a power that can be used against the fundamental purpose of the bible. Is it not meant as a guide to set human hearts free, leading us through the shadows of our fumbling Old Times and into the light of the god of love's hope for us? Isn't it our duty to open our hearts to that message to see how it can imperfectly be so for us and those we affect?

No, wait, a quick internet search shows that I'm wrong. It's mostly about the begetting, the badness of some arbitrary things, and Judgement™. Fuck.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a judgement fuck.* Strange as hell it was.

*Well, if you are going to get all pedantic about word usage and original meaning being PIV, it was judgmental sex, but it was weird as fuck.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
How much longer until we get to the number of angels pleasuring themselves on a pinhead argument?

Surely the point is that the generally-perceived great good that can be distilled from the bible does, in fact, require some degree of distillation. The descriptive power of allegory is a power that can be used against the fundamental purpose of the bible. Is it not meant as a guide to set human hearts free, leading us through the shadows of our fumbling Old Times and into the light of the god of love's hope for us? Isn't it our duty to open our hearts to that message to see how it can imperfectly be so for us and those we affect?

No, wait, a quick internet search shows that I'm wrong. It's mostly about the begetting, the badness of some arbitrary things, and Judgement™. Fuck.

Preach."Jesus wept" was definitely not an allegory.

[ 25. February 2016, 17:56: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've had a judgement fuck.

It is not surprising to hear that your judgement is fucked.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, we can all only hope to be the beacon of insight and discernment you are, RooK. Give us mere mortals a chance.

On the other hand, the phrase "judgemental fuck" calls to mind pictures of the Soviet judges at gymnastics competitions holding up signs.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
I've had a judgement fuck.

It is not surprising to hear that your judgement is fucked.
It is not the insult which is hurtful, but the lack of effort in crafting it.
You damn me with faint damns.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

The crafting of abuse I outsource to Hellhosts - it's why I hire them for the fantastic salaries they demand.

Besides, I couldn't do much composition with all the chuckling you induced. It was a funny, and I could merely Hell-bow to you for it.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm interested in hearing about this judgement fuck.

I'm a terrible, terrible person.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joesaphat:
Ugh, I've even been denounced as a backslider by a would-be orthodox woman who sported short hair, 'to her shame' and the great scandal of angels in heaven.

What the fuck does this have to do with anything on this thread?

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Same as women not wearing scarves or hat in church, Mr Mouse, as per 1Cor11, or men having long hair.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I really want to know is why no one seems to advocate nailing slaves' ears to doorposts? Both Ex 21.6 & Deut 15.17 require it. How much more biblical precedent does one need?

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this meant to be taken literally or does it refer equally to servants and employees? If so, I might give it a try at the office today...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is this meant to be taken literally or does it refer equally to servants and employees? If so, I might give it a try at the office today...

Ah, now you are getting into interpretation. What was a slave in the ancient near east? How does it equate with the slavery of office work today (I am slumped over sage accounting)?

Tricky thing the Bible.

--------------------

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

Same as women not wearing scarves or hat in church, Mr Mouse, as per 1Cor11, or men having long hair.
If those have already been mentioned on this thread, I apologize, for I missed it.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:

Tricky thing the Bible.

Not tricky at all. It is a magic mirror that reflects your heart's desire.
So yes it is strictly literal,
Yes, it requires discerning interpretation,
And yes, you are a pretty, pretty princess.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I really want to know is why no one seems to advocate nailing slaves' ears to doorposts? Both Ex 21.6 & Deut 15.17 require it. How much more biblical precedent does one need?

Because I'm in a mood to be literal--

They don't require it, they offer the option (to the slave, people, NOT the master). I wish we had the option of nailing this thread to the door.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

They don't require it, they offer the option (to the slave, people, NOT the master). I wish we had the option of nailing this thread to the door.

Do any of us live in Wittenburg?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I really want to know is why no one seems to advocate nailing slaves' ears to doorposts?

Just can't get the right sort of doorpost these days ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

Ok, just read them both. Can you explain how the contextual version is any less fucked up?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Do you really want to know, or is it just another chance to fuck around?

Want to know and I'll meet you in Kerygmania.

Fuck around, and I'll see you in Hell.

Er. Um.

[Razz]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wild guess, but was that just the preferred method of making pierced ears in those days? They didn't have Piercing Pagoda, after all...

[ 27. February 2016, 20:08: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Do you really want to know, or is it just another chance to fuck around?

Want to know and I'll meet you in Kerygmania.

Fuck around, and I'll see you in Hell.

Er. Um.

[Razz]

Here is fine Not that I want to get rude, but Kerg is likely going to be too civilised. And I really do want to know how a passage condoning slavery can be considered at all justified.

[ 27. February 2016, 20:25: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I'm not going into all the whys and wherefores here, as I said--Keryg is the spot. But I will note that this passage does not justify slavery. What it does is allow those who wish to remain enslaved, to do so--and prescribes a procedure.

(and if that doesn't spark your curiosity enough to look it up, nothing will)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, I figured it was that verse, lil b, every seven years slave owners were required to release their slaves. On rare occasions, a slave would decide he was comfortable where he was, and would go through the ear piercing ceremony to identify himself as a voluntary servant.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I'm not going into all the whys and wherefores here, as I said--Keryg is the spot. But I will note that this passage does not justify slavery. What it does is allow those who wish to remain enslaved, to do so--and prescribes a procedure.

(and if that doesn't spark your curiosity enough to look it up, nothing will)

Already told you I looked them up. Checked a few other references as well. Still fucked up in my eyes. But, I added post in Kerg , though I am not wagering against you calling me back here before too long.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

You should have wagered, you'd have made money. I see no reason to call you to Hell, though I'm frankly bemused by the deep, dark motives you seem to imagine I have for moving the discussion to Kerygmania. I'm not up to being shifty today, I'm one sick puppy (bronchitis) and it's all I can do to be a lazy bum and type on the computer.

So see Keryg for your answer, and then mock on.

[ 28. February 2016, 01:43: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I presume your deep dark motives reduce to not wanting the Hell hosts to gnaw on your ass, LC, and I would further add I can't think of anyone on the Ship who would be less interested in gaming folk. LilB, LC just happens to know her shit in this department. Including where to have discussions of Biblical text.

(Sorry for junior hosting, ye demonic ones, if it comes out that way.)

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes]

I have plenty of doorframes y'all can nail bits of yourself to. Levitically, or otherwise.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

Sorry I brought up the whole nailing slaves to the doorpost thing. I guess I was just trying to point out that there is a lot of stuff in the Bible which requires contextualization if it is to make any sense. We are not living in the Ancient Near East. Some people really do seem to have trouble grasping that.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly, which is why "the plain teaching of Scripture" can often be anything but that!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd need a *lot* of contextualisation for nailing slaves to the doorpost to make any sense.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Villz
Apprentice
# 15365

- Posted      Profile for Villz     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say that I'm shocked at the vitriol and bad language poured out in various threads at Steve Langton. Whilst I don't agree with his views, there are plenty in the church who do and I would defend their right to say what they believe.
It seems to me that anyone who posts on SoF who disagrees with SSM etc is attacked with real hate. That's hardly Christian.

Posts: 3 | From: South Shields | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I be the first? Please? Please?

ITTWACW!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

At the risk of being accused of Junior Hosting, let me say:

- the criticisms of Steve do not come from disagreements with his views per se, but with the facts that (a) he seems to be unaware of points of view other than his own and (b) brings every conversation back to 'Constantianism' or the 'Establishment' of the CofE.

- while I think it's true that the majority of folk posting on the Ship are in favour of SSM (and inter alia can be dismissive of those who hold more traditionalist views), I think it's a bit strong to say that they use the language of 'hate'. I would hope that a better term would be 'robust disagreement but I realise that we can all go too far at times!

[ 28. February 2016, 14:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Villz:
I have to say that I'm shocked at the vitriol and bad language poured out in various threads at Steve Langton. Whilst I don't agree with his views, there are plenty in the church who do and I would defend their right to say what they believe.
It seems to me that anyone who posts on SoF who disagrees with SSM etc is attacked with real hate. That's hardly Christian.

It is hardly that he was attacked, but rather that the loathing of his posts built up over time. There are others with the same view who are not treated with the same disdain.

[ 28. February 2016, 14:57: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You are a n00b, and therefore deserve leeway.

This is Hell. This is where we corral vitriol and bad language so that the other boards are free of them. We have, over many years, decided that this is the least worst mechanism to allow Shippies (and welcome aboard) to vent when, inevitably, things sometimes get heated. A brief perusal of the past Hell threads directed at particular shipmates include such joys as imperialism, islamophobia and a tendency to gnomic utterances.

Whether it is Christian or not is moot. Not everyone here is a Christian. Not everyone here thinks that everyone here who says they're a Christian is a Christian. Some of the Christians even doubt they're Christians if they're having a bad day. This is not a Christian Website (as LeRoc alludes to).

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

All true Doc Tor, but Villz did say that s/he was "shocked at the vitriol and bad language poured out in various threads" - i.e. not just in Hell, where gloves are always off.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thing is, though, SL doesn't seem to be around to receive or respond to the 'vitriolic' comments, either here in Hell or elsewhere aboard Ship.

Perhaps we should be grateful for that?

If he were, then I think I could anticipate what his response would be ...

Something with a C, an N (well, several actually) and a T in it ... (well, several of those two ...)

I spy with my little eye, an Emperor beginning with ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Wooh hangman!

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fairness to Steve - and yes, I too am extending fairness to him, even in Hell - I agree with the comment a while back that SL doesn't seem to have anything personal against gay people - but believes his hard-line stance is where the scriptures lead him ...

Equally, his offensive thread about willies and where they might be placed struck me as a pretty cack-handed attempt to call a spade a shovel and be as blunt as some other posters can be ...

And without the self-awareness or fellow-feeling (ooh, matron ...) that might strike warning bells that this wasn't a particularly appropriate way to frame the issue on a thread where people were discussing complex and nuanced positions and moral/ecclesial dilemmas and so on ...

That doesn't let Steve off the hook, of course - but it's an attempt to understand where he was coming from ... but then, that's not difficult as he's got 'fundamentalist', 'binary' and 'single-issue' stamped all over his posts.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Can I be the first? Please? Please?

ITTWACW!

Villz, welcome. So you know:

ITTWACW stands for "I thought that this was a Christian website." It is an inside joke that a certain number of people who come here find things they don't approve of, and make the complaint that they thought it was a Christian website. It is in some senses a Christian website, to be sure. The Ship of Fools is, after all, the "Magazine of Christian Unrest." But also there are things that go on here that can seem less than entirely Christian to people unfamiliar with the culture.

But the website has settled into this particular pattern, and it's unlikely to change anytime soon to something less offensive to those not accustomed to this level of rough-and-tumble.

Not all websites are for everybody, and if the MO here isn't to your liking, that's perfectly understandable and no blame to you. But it won't change for complaining. I'm afraid your only options are putting up with it, or leaving.

There's so much good here that many of us feel it's worth putting up with the bits that we don't particularly like. And it grows on you.

So anyway, welcome to the SOF. Be sure to go over to the All Saints board, where there is a welcome thread for noobs and you can wave hello and receive warm greetings in return.

We now return to our usual vitriol.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Viliz, I see that you have been a shipmate for over 6 years, although only 2 posts to your credit so far. SL has a very idiosyncratic interpretation of scripture and of the proper organisation of the church; like many others who have such an individual approach, he does not seem capable of understanding that there just may be some other perspectives. All the ills of the world and the church in particular flow from the establishment of the C of E, ignoring that the vast majority of the world's Christians do not belong to an established church.

Baptist Trainfan - Viliz's profile gives a occupation of housewife, so I assume that "she" is appropriate.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Not just the vast number of the world's Christians, but also the vast majority of the world's Anglicans ...

Steve doesn't just have it in for the CofE either, but for any group that isn't as Anabaptist as he thinks they should be ... so whilst Baptists are closer to the New Testament, in his view, they still don't go quite far enough because not all Baptists are pacifists and not all of them are quite as 'separate from the world' as he'd like them to be - without actually defining or setting out what that means in practice - other than not joining the army or the police or engaging in politics in any way ...

And whenever anyone asks him what 'being separate from the world' in practice actually means in a modern, globalised economy and mutually interdependent society he can't or won't answer or engage but instead lobs out a few proof-texts as if that settles the matter ... all the while apologising that he can't reply right now because it's late or he has to go to a model railway club meeting or there's an 'r' in the month ...

Whilst the real reason is that he doesn't have a fucking clue but hides behind proof-text mantras, a woodenly literal approach to scriptural interpretation and indeed a virtual denial that he is engaging in interpretation in the first place but only presenting us with the 'plain meaning of scripture' which Anglicans, Orthodox, Catholics and others disregard because they aren't as obedient to the NT as he is ...

It's giving me a headache just thinking about it.

I need an aspirin.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Oh, I don't know ... a nice glass of something-or-other would be better
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

It's Lent ...

No doubt an evil Constantinian practice ... something extra-biblical and not derived from the plain-meaning of scripture ...

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

But it's not the Orthodox Lent yet ... which is another nail in the coffin for nefarious Big T Tradition ... you see the Big T Tradition people can't even agree among themselves on the precise date of Easter.

How then can we trust them on anything else?

Far better to rely on the plain-meaning of scripture as understood by Steve Langton ...

No Christmas, no Easter, no fiddle-faddle or fol-de-rol ... just plain and simple NT Christianity which is so easy to observe, implement and practice if only we were to give ourselves to the plain-meaning of the text and keep ourselves separate from all worldly systems save that of the local model railway club because that is chaste, innocent and above board whilst everything else is compromised, Constantinian and yea verily beareth the marks of Iniquity ...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016