homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fuck Fear and Fearmongering (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuck Fear and Fearmongering
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you color a circular pattern with a colored pencil, demons will enter your body.

What kind of a dickless wimp must God be if his followers can become demon-infested by coloring in a coloring book?

Is it just me, or has a good proportion of the so-called Christian world lost its mind?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Jesus H. Pete.

(Grabs fearmonger by lapels and snarls in his face)

Did you know that the basic mandela shape is one of the first graphic symbols childern all over the goddamn world make when they are learning to draw? Since the fucking dawn of time? No? Crack a book sometime, asshole, and stop picking on innocent line drawings.

(Shoves fearmonger back so he falls on ass.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for posting this, MT.
I am now seriously concerned by the rosettas we have in the walls of our old churches.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right? And the Rose Window at Chartres?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose if I put "you're out of your fucking mind" as a comment on her blog post, it would be deleted. They all seem to be pretty supportive.

If my child's coloring book has a picture of a daisy, or God forbid a chrysanthemum, should I burn it, bury it, or take it to the priest to be exorcised? I'm so confused. And don't even get me started about sunflowers.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG. I just bought one of those. Specifically mandalas. I love mandalas! And I find coloring them relaxing.

I was tempted to leave a comment noting that the dollar bill is full of Masonic [Eek!] symbols and to ask if she was going to toss out all her singles. Can't be having all those pagan images in her wallet, ya know. Maybe she could insist on using dollar coins.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nice one, Lyda. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Case proven - Chartres is a Catholic cathedral, not a Christian worship space.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The port holes on a ship! No wonder some ships sink. Has the SoF portholes? Abandon Ship, take to the lifeboats.......

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume this idiot moderates his comments section. Because only that would explain the complete absence of posts telling him he's an utter cockwomble and visiting his blog measurably lowers IQ.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you notice that the default image that would attach to a comment, and the images many of the people commenting have used, are also geometric patterns ... not mandalas, but probably close enough.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The picture in the Jung quote about mandalas looks VERY much like a stained glass window.

Honestly, there is no limit to the level of stupid that people are capable of. None.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This sort of paranoid spirituality used to be fairly standard in Charevo groups in the 80s. In a fit of soundness when I was one I once got rid of my AD&D stuff. So fuck fear and fearmongering indeed!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose the Spirograph must be responsible for most of the ills of the world - since 1965 at least.

I also notice that the associated text for the image at the top of that blog is 'Joy Cropped'. One lonely (and presumably inadvertent) piece of self-awareness.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I heard about this, I tried to work our where I'd first come across the use of mandala as a technical term......

It was in a book discussing icons. The circle of light around Jesus in the icon of the Transfiguration, and the coloured one in some Pantokrator icons, symbolising universal power, were both described as mandalas.

I guess this is no crazier than the thing in the 80s where someone proved the wickedness of having an aromatherapist by putting a space between the "a" and the "t" and another one between the "e" and "r". Try it, and see what you get. EVIL!

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
When I heard about this, I tried to work our where I'd first come across the use of mandala as a technical term......

It was in a book discussing icons. The circle of light around Jesus in the icon of the Transfiguration, and the coloured one in some Pantokrator icons, symbolising universal power, were both described as mandalas.

I guess this is no crazier than the thing in the 80s where someone proved the wickedness of having an aromatherapist by putting a space between the "a" and the "t" and another one between the "e" and "r". Try it, and see what you get. EVIL!

That one works for all therapists of course, and is the basis for a number of jokes.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
I suppose the Spirograph must be responsible for most of the ills of the world - since 1965 at least.

I also notice that the associated text for the image at the top of that blog is 'Joy Cropped'. One lonely (and presumably inadvertent) piece of self-awareness.

And now I want a Spirograph. Must be demons.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And anyone with pierced ears is in thrall to Satan, and anyone with a contactless payment card bears the mark of the beast...there's no end of this stuff around. One reason why I stopped going to evangelical churches and avoid websites like the one linked in the OP.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The demonic* can enter our world in many ways:

• Millions fleeing civil war not given refuge
  • 30,000 Americans killed by guns each year
  • Millions work for next to nothing (many literally enslaved) to put cheap trainers in our shops
  • Donald Trump
  • Jeremy Hunt

Colouring in geometric shapes isn't on my list

* this may be taken figuratively

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Amen.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doilies. They're circular, they're intricate, they exist for the sole purpose of making cake (and we all know how evil that is) even more attractive.

And don't get me started on crocheted circular tablemats.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Doilies. They're circular, they're intricate, they exist for the sole purpose of making cake (and we all know how evil that is) even more attractive.

And don't get me started on crocheted circular tablemats.

Heck yes. For decades, maybe centuries, lacemaking was popular especially in Mediterranean countries. Still, they were mostly Catholics so what do you expect.

Where's Rosamundi when you want a view on this?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say I'm disappointed in the quality of the demons generated by mandalas. We have two Tibetan painted mandalas hanging on our walls and somewhere in my husband's study a packet of sand he brought back from the American Academy of Religion conference last November, where a group of Tibetan monks created a sand mandala and then destroyed it and handed out packets of the sand it was made from. You'd think we'd have demons all over the house, running up and down the stairs, teasing the cats, grinning at us from dark corners, smashing the china in the kitchen - but no. Not enough demonic activity to worry the most anxious Christian. I'm disappointed, I tell you, seriously disappointed in mandala demons [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
OMG. I just bought one of those. Specifically mandalas. I love mandalas! And I find coloring them relaxing.

I was tempted to leave a comment noting that the dollar bill is full of Masonic [Eek!] symbols and to ask if she was going to toss out all her singles. Can't be having all those pagan images in her wallet, ya know. Maybe she could insist on using dollar coins.

She would definitely have to moderate your negative demon-supporting out. Probably feels attacked by demons if too many negative people did comment.

Besides, you are clearly an unsound person as everyone who's seen your ship icon should have known.

[ 01. March 2016, 12:44: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Especially Devil's Food cake!
[Devil]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of all sorts of reasons why adult colouring books should be abjured, but letting demons in isn't one of them.

I look at them and think "you should be drawing your own patterns and colouring them in if that's what you want to do".

I remember, for they got a few things right, the Exclusive Brethren's concerns about computers - not the one about the demons, but the one about taking up time that should be taken up with better things.

But, O my goodness, demons!

Do you think I should exorcise my Nana's crochet milk cover, with its lacy edge and the beads to hold it down?

I'm doing some colouring tomorrow - because I can't take my knitting into the cabin, I'm translating the to and fro patterns into circular ones, and colour seems the best way to do it, but it's squares, so that's all right. Although squares are a bit Masonic, aren't they?

I feel that these people don't live in my world, they live somewhere much more like Harry Potter's universe, which is not where Christians should be.

[ 01. March 2016, 13:18: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A writer friend of mine (who should know better) alleges that it is possible to slip a sentence, oh, say 200 pages along into a novel, that when read will undermine your faith. I told him that if his faith was so fragile that one sentence could do it he needed work, and accused him of being a delicate daisy. He still has not forgiven me.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

But, Harry Potter encourages experimentation with witchcraft and magic. So, we should be out burning those demon-infested pages and DVDs.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
But, Harry Potter encourages experimentation with witchcraft and magic. So, we should be out burning those demon-infested pages and DVDs.

Hey! Leave Hogwarts alone -- or I'll send you a Howler!
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Some time ago I saw an arts programme that claimed that the vesica piscis, which is the () shape of the burst of light you see round some images of the saints, is actually supposed to represent a vagina.

[ 01. March 2016, 14:08: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And notice its alternative name, the MANDORLA !!
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I presume this idiot moderates his comments section. Because only that would explain the complete absence of posts telling him he's an utter cockwomble and visiting his blog measurably lowers IQ.

If you click on the "other comments" at the bottom of the page, you will find some more critical ones - and some people address the writer as sister, despite the piccie.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

That one works for all therapists of course, and is the basis for a number of jokes.
I remember that as a gag on Three's Company. Janet was in a moralistic panic because she thought that some sex therapist they knew was having sex with her clients, and, when shown the woman's business card, pronounced "therapist" as two words.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, this blogger would go to Carl Jung to prove how dangerous mandalas are. I love the quote provided: the circular image represents the wholeness, or to put it in mythic terms, the divinity incarnate in man.

Heaven help us if we have any symbol that might refer to. . . um. . . Jesus!

sabine

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Sandemaniac;

quote:
Some time ago I saw an arts programme that claimed that the vesica piscis, which is the () shape of the burst of light you see round some images of the saints, is actually supposed to represent a vagina.
I will never look at the Church of Scotland logo (the burning bush within a vesica piscis) in the same way again.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
sabine: Of course, this blogger would go to Carl Jung to prove how dangerous mandalas are. I love the quote provided: the circular image represents the wholeness, or to put it in mythic terms, the divinity incarnate in man.

Also known as the divinity incarnate in man.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am full of demons and I recruit for ther devil - because I often used mandalas and colouring in when I found it difficult to poray. And I have commended this practice to many others.

How much does it cost to get an excorcism? And do they do 'Buy one get one free'?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

quote:
sabine: Of course, this blogger would go to Carl Jung to prove how dangerous mandalas are. I love the quote provided: the circular image represents the wholeness, or to put it in mythic terms, the divinity incarnate in man.

Also known as the divinity incarnate in man.
[Big Grin] My point, exactly. This blogger is way too intent on seeing evil.

I feel sorry for people whose faith puts them in a position of constant vigilange against demonic powers to the point that they forget about grace. It must be a very high-anxiety life.

Maybe a little time with a mandala coloring book can help. [Snigger]

sabine

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Every time I read that kind of crap, I think, "You have a really puny God, if you think he can't handle the teeny-weeny obstacles that loom so large for you." Not a lot of trust in God's power, eh?

I tend to think the same thing in a much more serious mode when radical Islamists attack cartoonists and magazines. Allah is in charge. And if he is as incensed by these little scratchers as you are, the blasphemers will have it coming in bigger measure than you can dole out. And just maybe he he doesn't like you hogging his prerogatives in the matter of divine justice. Hmmm?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I suspect that if one spends so much time dwelling on the immanence of evil, then evil will be attracted. Though I'm not convinced of demons existence at all.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Every time I read that kind of crap, I think, "You have a really puny God, if you think he can't handle the teeny-weeny obstacles that loom so large for you." Not a lot of trust in God's power, eh?

This is precisely my response. Some people will find X or Y problematic, but that is more likely to be a problem with that person than X or Y. Some people are susceptible to being influence, that may give them spiritual problems. To say that X or Y is dangerous is to miss the point.

In the end, the basic Adam Hills response is utterly appropriate: Don't be a dick. Whereas some Christians seem to take "being a dick" to new heights.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The demonic* can enter our world in many ways:

• Millions fleeing civil war not given refuge
  • 30,000 Americans killed by guns each year
  • Millions work for next to nothing (many literally enslaved) to put cheap trainers in our shops
  • Donald Trump
  • Jeremy Hunt

Colouring in geometric shapes isn't on my list

* this may be taken figuratively

This. I'm dedicating my spirograph to you.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steam locomotive enthusiasts are notably sensitive souls and open to all kinds of suggestions that ordinary mortals are spared. We must now be careful to say a suitable prayer before daring to gaze upon that wondrous mandala-like pattern of spoked driving wheels moving under an invisible power, lest the devil make us even worse than the wretched deviants that we already are. I thank you, MT, for the warning. But it may be too late, though perhaps there is an appropriate service of exorcism that may be held over a locomotive before the public is allowed to see it?

Have I woken up in the wrong century after taking a nap?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Have I woken up in the wrong century after taking a nap?

No, this level of idiocy occurs in every century.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I look at them and think "you should be drawing your own patterns and colouring them in if that's what you want to do".

Not everybody can draw beautiful shapes worth coloring in. But it's not nearly so difficult to color in somebody else's drawing. This is just snooty.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

From my Facebook feed on this subject, I present Hildegard von Bingen.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

My girl! [Yipee]

(Well, but she was one of those Romans you know, worshiping images. Even worse, she actually created images with a bunch of Romish secret messages hidden in them. No wonder the Reformation broke out a few centuries later. [Disappointed] )

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
From my Facebook feed on this subject, I present Hildegard von Bingen.

Wow, that "All Beings Celebrate Creation" is downright Escheresque. I wonder if Escher had it in mind when he did "Angels and Demons"?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Case proven - Chartres is a Catholic cathedral, not a Christian worship space.
Not quite proven - St. Magnus Cathedral in Orkney is used by the Church of Scotland, and has two. [Big Grin]

I think those mandalas are absolutely gorgeous; how can the Almighty possibly disapprove of people using the skills He gave them to produce a thing of beauty?

If I had any artistic ability whatsoever (which I haven't) I'd be tempted to give it a go myself.

[ 03. March 2016, 01:10: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I wonder if Escher had it in mind when he did "Angels and Demons"?

I think you'll find that it was the famous book writer Dan Brown that did Angels and Demons.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I wonder if Escher had it in mind when he did "Angels and Demons"?

I think you'll find that it was the famous book writer Dan Brown that did Angels and Demons.
The famous book writer may have got the idea from Escher since it would be not unlike the FBW to be a tad derivative.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016