homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fuck Fear and Fearmongering (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuck Fear and Fearmongering
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet wrote:

quote:
I think those mandalas are absolutely gorgeous; how can the Almighty possibly disapprove of people using the skills He gave them to produce a thing of beauty?
Well, I might think that there are some pretty delicious wines, which may serve as testimony to the God-given talents of the winemaker.

On the other hand, I can respect it if someone's conception of God tells him to forego alchohol. I guess it's not MY conception of God, but I don't think I can really rebut his conception simply by saying "Oh, come on, winemakers have God-given skill!"

(Actually, I'm an abstainer, though not for religious reasons. But I thought alcohol made a better example than pork, which doesn't acquire its basic taste from the skills of the chef.)

[ 03. March 2016, 16:55: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I wonder if Escher had it in mind when he did "Angels and Demons"?

I think you'll find that it was the famous book writer Dan Brown that did Angels and Demons.
The famous book writer may have got the idea from Escher since it would be not unlike the FBW to be a tad derivative.
H'yeah, right.

Next you'll be saying the phrase "This Side of Paradise" wasn't created by Ric Ocasek.

[ 04. March 2016, 10:25: Message edited by: dyfrig ]

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons":

Actually, he played with ambigrams.

"Ambigrams: the upside down imagery of the artist who inspired Dan Brown: The author of The Da Vinci Code named the novel's hero after a mathematically minded typographer" (The Guardian).

Escher was probably in the general mix for doing that kind of morphing, though.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew there was something spooky about Hildegard.

Hey, what about those 'christian' churches that install circular walking paths for meditation and prayer? Labyrinths. Clearly, demons are at work. You're doomed if you go all the way and win the lolly-pop, or if you fall out and leave early.

Great find, MT. I was running short of things to fear and worry over. I'll be on watch for devilish attempts to steal my pathetic soul.

G.M.Hopkins was so damn right when he wrote "No worst... there is none."

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What kind of daemons? Maxwell had a friendly and helpful one.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 89 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To paraphrase Turkish from Snatch - Fuck me, mt, what have you been reading?
I stopped reading the linked blog a few seconds after it became clear to me that it was actually making me stupider.
I did note that someone has responded to the Last Hiker's inanity with a post about stained glass windows in cathedrals being pretty aces. And the ultimate pedestrian has in turn responded with something about the window being connected to the Templars, who apparently had something to do with the occult.
[Roll Eyes]
Oh brave new world, that has such fuckwits in it ...

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016