homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Your least favourite English word (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Your least favourite English word
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If terms containing two words are included, I hate hate hate "no problem", when "you're welcome" should be said.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed. I hate "no problem" when clearly there was no possible problem.

"Would you like a carrier bag?"
"No, thank you, I've brought my own."
"No problem."

Seriously, did I look as though I thought there might be a problem in not requiring a carrier bag? Do I seem in need of reassurance that there is no problem with using my own bag?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
As soon as I saw the title and before I read the OP my choice was work - but then I've been retired nigh on two decades!

[Big Grin]

I consign all, or most, management speak to the bin but the word actualise used as management speak really aggravates me!

Speaking of which, when did we stop pressuring people to do stuff and start pressurizing them?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
If terms containing two words are included

No, this is about single words you don't like. You (or anyone else) are welcome to start an entire new thread for phrases you hate. I'm sure it'll get a lot of mileage, going forward.

[ 28. August 2016, 17:19: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smart. Such as he or she looks smart, meaning well dressed. It always strikes me as better then looking dumb I guess.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Ignorant"

As used in statements like "That was ignorant behaviour you displayed at the party", or "Your ignorance of history is quite shocking".

Look, if you wanna say I'm rude or stupid, just come out and say I'm rude or stupid. Don't try to pass off your animosity as some detached factual observation about the state of my knowledge.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question.

Does the phrase "go on-line" predate the emergence of the internet in the early '90s? I ask, because I'm reading a book about technology and resources, written about five years ago, in which the writer repeatedly says things like "After France announced its nuclear-energy policy in the 1970s, many new reactors went on-line". Meaning, the reactors were built and put into operation.

To me, that seems anachronistic, even if we acknowledge that "on-line" can be extended to non-internet stuff. It still shouldn't be used to describe things that predate the internet.

(And yes, I know the internet was invented in the late 60s, but I don't think anyone was talking about "being on-line", in a cyber-sense, until the early 90s.)

[ 28. August 2016, 19:42: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe I read about things going "online" before the internet. According to dictionary.com the term originated in the early forties. I remember hearing the term used about systems in the space programs in the sixties.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Smart. Such as he or she looks smart, meaning well dressed. It always strikes me as better then looking dumb I guess.

This pond difference works the other way too. In Canada I saw an advertisement which started with the statement, "I'm smart", meaning, I'm clever, which put my back up immediately; how arrogant!
For me, smart means either well turned out, or a stinging feeling.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I have a question.

Does the phrase "go on-line" predate the emergence of the internet in the early '90s? I ask, because I'm reading a book about technology and resources, written about five years ago, in which the writer repeatedly says things like "After France announced its nuclear-energy policy in the 1970s, many new reactors went on-line". Meaning, the reactors were built and put into operation.

To me, that seems anachronistic, even if we acknowledge that "on-line" can be extended to non-internet stuff. It still shouldn't be used to describe things that predate the internet.

(And yes, I know the internet was invented in the late 60s, but I don't think anyone was talking about "being on-line", in a cyber-sense, until the early 90s.)

Can't find a date for on-line, but off-line seems to date from 1926, originally used re. the railways (or railroad, if you prefer).

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"reach out" to someone, which apparently means "to talk to them"
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Worst word?

It's init, init?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Lyda and Thunder:

Thanks. Guess I stand corrected.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
I nominate all those meaningless corporate buzz-words that get thrown around and then picked up by churches to make us sound like we're actually doing something when we're not:

missional
visionary
collegial
networking
servant leadership
stewardship
study group
"smart" goals & objectives

Let them all be consigned to the fiery furnace. And "being church" along with them.
Or "doing life".

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A bit more delicate-- this is probably the only context in which I could mention it-- but I hate that suddenly "passed" is a substitute for "passed away". As in "grandma passed last night." It always makes me think of passing gas.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Bae." Really, was "Babe" (also obnoxious) so long you had to drop the freaking b to save time?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ignorance and stupidity are two very different things. Ignorance means lack of knowledge; stupidity means lack of ability to think.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:

This pond difference works the other way too. In Canada I saw an advertisement which started with the statement, "I'm smart", meaning, I'm clever, which put my back up immediately; how arrogant!
For me, smart means either well turned out, or a stinging feeling.

Growing up in the UK I always felt that the primary meaning of "smart" was well-dressed. Turns out that usage is a relative neologism from the early 1700s. The "clever" meaning is more than twice as old.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a particular loathing for the word DUDE. I find it low class, crude and disrespectful. It seems to have become a common form of address among the young men of my acquaintance, probably heard originally on tv, but once established it is hard to remove.
I also cringed during the Olympics to hear athletes described as MEDALLING rather than having won medals.
I also grieve the loss of the adverb eg a person is described as running slow instead of slowly. The examples of this change are legion.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Ignorance and stupidity are two very different things. Ignorance means lack of knowledge; stupidity means lack of ability to think.

Yeah, but in the common parlance, the two are often used interchangably.

The Irrefutable Stupidity Of Sarah Palin

The writer uses examples such as her not knowing what Hamas is, which, properly speaking, would be an example of ignorance, not stupidity.

I suppose that there are legitimate cases where you would sincerely call someone ignorant, meaning lacking knowledge, and not mean it with the same insulting connotations that go with "stupid". In my experience, however, the word is usually not used in such an objective manner.

Personally, for the meaning of "lacking knowledge", I prefer to use "uninformed", which I don't think carries quite the same baggage as "ignorant".

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Oh, and am I the ONLY person who has a major issue with infantile words used to describe bodily functions and discharge, and related matters?

For example, the word for urine that rhymes with "me", the word for feces that rhymes with "you", and the word for "toilet" that rhymes "naughty".

I just can't understand why adults insist on using those words(especially the word for feces, which, unlike the word for urine, can't even be justified as an onomatopoeia). Is it some desire to re-live their childhood or something?

I wish we could just remove the taboo against using vulgar slang for the same things(eg. the words that rhyme with "miss" and "pit"), so people who don't like using the formal Latin words could start using those instead. Though, if I my theory about infantile regression is correct, I guess it wouldn't have the desired effect.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I also grieve the loss of the adverb eg a person is described as running slow instead of slowly. The examples of this change are legion.

I am not keen on the use of "legendary" to describe a celebrated actor or musician, especially if they are still very much alive and kicking!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I am not keen on the use of "legendary" to describe a celebrated actor or musician, especially if they are still very much alive and kicking!

Well, maybe they are legendary. Have you ever met them? Can you be sure they are real?
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, the Prom concert I saw on the TV last week featured two "legendary" musicians, both of whom I've heard live and one of whom I've met (albeit many years ago).

Mind you, they could have been Doppelgangers, or very clever Virtual Reality holograms - but I doubt it! [Cool]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clocks are described as running slow, I think. Rather than slowly.

One of my ex-pupils, died in a road accident aged 12, was described on the funeral service sheet as a legend. I think the word has developed a side use which people not of the culture which uses it do not understand. It will probably die out. (He was a very lovely boy and a great loss to the world, don't get me wrong.)

And with regards to Palin's ignorance - she was ignorant of things she should have known about, if she had done the homework necessary for the job she was touting for, so her ignorance was evidence of her stupidity.

[ 29. August 2016, 11:10: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post 
'Iconic'; what's wrong with 'famous'?

And all olde worlde coinages, like 'Fayre' for 'fare' meaning food.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dartford Trinity Church is guilty of the 'Fayre' misnaming of their very nice little snack place. 'Fayre', to me, is a fake ancient spelling of 'Fair', and has its place on a Bank Holiday Monday or similar. But not for food. Even when partnered with 'Ye' and 'Olde'.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:

Thanks -- you just beat me to it!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I offer up banterbury, bant, and lege, as words I could happily never hear again and really hope never make it into the dictionary.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:

Thanks -- you just beat me to it!
One Direction are famous, they are not iconic.
Not expecting you to now like the word, but they are different.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

For example, the word for urine that rhymes with "me", the word for feces that rhymes with "you", and the word for "toilet" that rhymes "naughty".

Accents are weird. Next you're going to tell me that merry, marry and Mary all have the same vowel sound.

I don't particularly object to the words that you dislike, although to me, the word that doesn't rhyme with "naughty" refers to a portable device for small children, rather than to the porcelain throne.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Solutions' attached to each and every trade or business - I suppose to give an impression of daring and innovative plans fresh-minted just for you. I just passed 'Letting Solutions': listen, you're just common or garden letting agents pushing around the usual paperwork.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh, and am I the ONLY person who has a major issue with infantile words used to describe bodily functions and discharge, and related matters?

I just can't understand why adults insist on using those words(especially the word for feces, which, unlike the word for urine, can't even be justified as an onomatopoeia). Is it some desire to re-live their childhood or something?

I wish we could just remove the taboo against using vulgar slang for the same things(eg. the words that rhyme with "miss" and "pit"), so people who don't like using the formal Latin words could start using those instead. Though, if I my theory about infantile regression is correct, I guess it wouldn't have the desired effect.

We say "poo" or "poop" because there are WAY too many people out there, in way too many settings, who can't cope with hearing "shit" and don't have a clue what "feces" means. And "number 2" is even worse in the cutesy-twee sweepstakes.

Believe me, I loathe having to use childish words. But in many circumstances, it's that or lose my job/friendship/standing in that particular community/whatever.

Seriously, how am I to keep a straight face when I have to use circumlocutions like "The child used the f-bomb"? Among adults! But just try doing otherwise at a PTO meeting or similar.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
I offer up banterbury, bant, and lege, as words I could happily never hear again and really hope never make it into the dictionary.

I guess I've been fortunate. I've never heard those words.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
quote:

Yeah, but in the common parlance, the two are often used interchangably.

The Irrefutable Stupidity Of Sarah Palin

The writer uses examples such as her not knowing what Hamas is, which, properly speaking, would be an example of ignorance, not stupidity.

I suppose that there are legitimate cases where you would sincerely call someone ignorant, meaning lacking knowledge, and not mean it with the same insulting connotations that go with "stupid". In my experience, however, the word is usually not used in such an objective manner.

Personally, for the meaning of "lacking knowledge", I prefer to use "uninformed", which I don't think carries quite the same baggage as "ignorant".

Sarah Palin is stupid because she, even as a vice presidential candidate, never saw the point of becoming more knowledgeable about important policy issues. She wallowed in her ignorance.

[ 29. August 2016, 14:42: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The use of devastated when one has suffered anything short of a terminal diagnosis. Yes, anything. Loss of a job, lousy exam results, repossession, all bad, but you can recover from those. Believe me, you can.

I have heard athletes describe themselves as "devastated" when they have finished fourth in an Olympic final, albeit in a personal best time. Fine, you can be disappointed. OTOH failing to buy a lottery ticket, or changing the usual numbers and thereby missing the jackpot is just tough. Pull your big girl panties up and get with it, as Erin used to say (IIRC).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Sarah Palin is stupid because she, even as a vice presidential candidate, never saw the point of becoming more knowledgeable about important policy issues. She wallowed in her ignorance.

In electoral terms it was her greatest asset. Heck, look at Trump.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

We say "poo" or "poop" because there are WAY too many people out there, in way too many settings, who can't cope with hearing "shit" and don't have a clue what "feces" means. And "number 2" is even worse in the cutesy-twee sweepstakes.

Believe me, I loathe having to use childish words. But in many circumstances, it's that or lose my job/friendship/standing in that particular community/whatever.

Seriously, how am I to keep a straight face when I have to use circumlocutions like "The child used the f-bomb"? Among adults! But just try doing otherwise at a PTO meeting or similar.

Perhaps the circumlocutions allow people to have less vivid sensory images of what is being produced in the activity? Less disrupting to others' appetites and sensibilities.

Myself, I prefer that the waste substance produced isn't named, but to refer the location or activity instead. "Going to the potty" (or toilet), is specific but doesn't elaborate on what exactly is being done (in Boy Scouts, we called it the kybo). In my view, "turd" is the worst word as it conjures excessive floating vividness in my nerdy brain.

[ 29. August 2016, 15:53: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Many years ago, my grandfather (who has long since passed away) was required to give evidence in court against someone who had assaulted him. The magistrate would not accept "first he cast aspersions on my parentage" in his account of what happened, and required him to repeat the actual words used.

Even though, much to my grandfather's mortification, there were ladies present. He once told me that being forced to repeat those words in open court was among the most embarrassing incidents of his life.

He was well aware what the words meant - he'd done his time in the army in the war, and no doubt both heard and used much worse - but not in mixed company.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

In electoral terms it was her greatest asset. Heck, look at Trump.
sigh [Roll Eyes] If I gotta, I gotta.

[ 29. August 2016, 16:24: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stetson, you're confusing me. First you would prefer to be insulted with "stupid" instead of "ignorant." Then you say they mean the same thing. If they mean the same thing, why do you care which one is used to insult you?

Indeed, in your first post on the subject you say both that they are synonymous, and that someone calling you "ignorant" is making a comment on the supposed state of your knowledge. So does "ignorant" mean "stupid," or not?

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Accents are weird. Next you're going to tell me that merry, marry and Mary all have the same vowel sound.
If Stetson won't, I will. Those all have the same vowel sound in these parts.

quote:
I have a particular loathing for the word DUDE. I find it low class, crude and disrespectful. It seems to have become a common form of address among the young men of my acquaintance, probably heard originally on tv, but once established it is hard to remove.

This is interesting. Why do you find it low-class? In the US west it's a vestige of cowboy days and doesn't carry any class connotations at all, unless you think surfers are lower class.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I believe I read about things going "online" before the internet. According to dictionary.com the term originated in the early forties. I remember hearing the term used about systems in the space programs in the sixties.

I think it was used (and is still used, AFAIK) in relation to factory machinery starting up for production, too. As in the machines might have been functional for a long time before they actually went "on line" for production.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go-to. As in 'I'll reach out to Mike, he's our go-to guy for best-in-class feasibility analysis.'

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trending, or even worse, trending up. (Meaning gaining popularity, especially on social media.)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
I have a particular loathing for the word DUDE.

In the US west it's a vestige of cowboy days and doesn't carry any class connotations.
I've heard the claim that it's from the Spanish dudo, "I doubt", as in "Dudo que sea un verdadero vaquero" (I doubt that he's a real cowboy). In that context it carries the connotation of poseur, faker, dandy.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I don't like the sound of "oily".

Generally I prefer the sound of words with hard consonants. I love the sound of "cuckoo clock" with its four hard ks. Soft consonants are fine in longer words, but I don't like the sound of short words with a preponderance of vowels and only soft consonants.

Yes, but if the word for 'oily' was not that but a word with hard consonants, perhaps it wouldn't really make it sound like what it is, if you see what I mean. 'Oily' sounds like what it is.
Don't you think that marshmallow sounds like what it is, all soft and mushy? It wouldn't be the same at all if it were called a klink-klonk..you would expect that to be a word for nuts or bolts, or spanners or something.

Posts: 111 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

[Geek alert]

I believe this is what is called an 'adjectival resultative'. It is analogous to phrases like 'The grass grew tall' and describes what the subject was like as a result of the verb.

The grass grew tall = As a result of how the grass grew, it was tall.
The clock is running slow = As a result of how the clock runs, it is slow.

Granted, if a mechanical clock is running slow, then probably it's also running slowly, but the construction emphasises the result rather than the cause.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Dartford Trinity Church is guilty of the 'Fayre' misnaming of their very nice little snack place. 'Fayre', to me, is a fake ancient spelling of 'Fair', and has its place on a Bank Holiday Monday or similar. But not for food. Even when partnered with 'Ye' and 'Olde'.

"I suppose they think if they spell it with a y more people will come."

(Susie Blake's snobbish newsreader on Victoria Wood's show.)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

[Geek alert]

I believe this is what is called an 'adjectival resultative'. It is analogous to phrases like 'The grass grew tall' and describes what the subject was like as a result of the verb.

The grass grew tall = As a result of how the grass grew, it was tall.
The clock is running slow = As a result of how the clock runs, it is slow.

Granted, if a mechanical clock is running slow, then probably it's also running slowly, but the construction emphasises the result rather than the cause.

Ah, now that's interesting. In fact, is it the clock itself actually running slow or slowly, or is it the hands on the clock, or is it the mechanism whether mechanical or electical?
What, actually is a 'clock'?
I think we have to define exactly what we're talking about here before we can definitely say whether or not the 'clock' is running slow or slowly

cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

In fact, perhaps it would be simpler to rely on sundials..I don't suppose they run at all!?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016