homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » U! G! L! Y! I don't need no alibi! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: U! G! L! Y! I don't need no alibi!
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
Not great literature by any means, but a book I used to love years ago was a novel called The Boyfriend School by Sarah Bird, whose heroine was a self-admittedly not very attractive woman who bemoaned not only being not pretty but having the horrible-sounding name of Gretchen Griner. Of course when this quite funny novel was made into a terrible, terrible movie, not only was she played by the quite conventionally attractive Jami Gertz, the character's name was changed to Emily Pear, and there was even a scene inserted with her love interest musing on what a beautiful name she had. Geez.

OMG, I loved that book too! Bought it in hard cover and still have it on the shelf. I didn't know it had been made into a movie. Cracks me up that they changed the character's name in the movie, just as in the book the editor wants to change the character's name in the romance novel Gretchen is writing, and of course make her more attractive. Too funny.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's so rare that I find anyone else who knows about that book, but it's one I reread several times. Don't ever look up the movie (not that it's likely to be findable nowadays) ... it was horrible. And, as you pointed out, basically did every egregious thing Gretchen was forced to do with her novel to make it more "romantic." Thus kind of missing the whole point of the book.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have any of you read "Dietland?" It starts out as a send up of the diet industry and then gets into some pretty hard core feminism about sexism, looksism and f**kability in general. Fun read!
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There is a saying that when you're twenty, you have the face nature gave you. When you're forty, you have the face you gave yourself.

Moo

And the wrinkles settle into the pattern of a person's most frequent expression. In the case of an aunt of mine, who was probably the least slim member of our family, they were "laughter lines". Not surprisingly, she was both very loving and much loved.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the bit about faces works if we're just thinking about habitual expressions and not, say, how fat one is (looks at self) or whatever random accidents of birth and time have happened (scars, odd nose, etc.). And IMHO the expression thing counts for more and more as the years go by and we all come to look more and more alike.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really believe "the face we deserve," saying much anymore. I look around my book club of people in their 70's and see us all, even our most cheerful members, looking very grumpy when our faces are in repose. Gravity and jowls have pulled the corners of our mouths down, our noses and ears have enlarged a bit, particularly in the men. We have frown lines and squint lines just from trying to see. The heavier ones are more jowly, but the thinner ones have more wrinkles. Hair is extremely unfair, some us still have very thick hair while others are almost bald. If this were Hell I would have some special words for aging.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rejoice ugly ones it appears according to Trump it would keep him from assaulting you.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[serious note] Actually, no it won't, it will just give him a cruel way to deny he did it later.

I've actually met a few guys in my life who seem to home in on the plainer, usually zaftig women at ( say) a bar, and after a lot of observation and a few unfortunate close encounters, my conclusion is that the kind of guy I am describing chooses these women so that he can basically do whatever the hell he wants with/ to her, and if she resists or reports, he can fall back on, "You really believe I would persue HER?"

"Obviously she's obsessed with me." [Roll Eyes]

Also from unhappy experience, I can relate that both men and women seem quite happy to leave the matter right there, when told this.

Back to my OP: the Ugly Movement isn't just about rejecting the idea of one version of beauty, it is about recognizing how people attach a woman's value to how many people she pleases ( visually or otherwise) rather than her character, or how people manufacture character assesments based on a single glance in order to gather justifications for denying them a voice. And if there is this tiny little window of pretty, no average, and a whole lot of ugly, that is a whole lot of voices that are shut up.

I'd rather be loud and ugly then have to jump through pretty hoops to prove my worth.

So, Twilight? Right there with you, in your post. It's not about begging people to see the beauty in old age, it's about " I still have a lot to contribute even when I have liver spots. Or cellulite. Or crow's feet."

And I don't want to leave the pretty people out of the dialogue, either-- they have to deal with people expecting them to stick with the pretty. Don't think too hard, girls, it will give you forehead lines. Start getting Botox at 22, you can't take chances.

Case in point-- Julia Roberts and Nichole Kidman. Both women were blown off as terrible actresses in their youth. Now they both basically kick all kinds of ass whenever they cross a screen. Some of that can be attributed to them growing their craft, but I was watching an older Kidman movie the other day, and it hit me-- she was always in close up, she was always exquisitely lit. Every millimeter of her face was accounted for in the frame. So, while everyone was trashing her for being wooden, her directors were probably telling her to keep her face really stil so they could get that perfect shot.

You can't be a great actor if your face has to be perfect all the time. Your face is what you act with.

[/end serious note, unless folk think this will do ok in Purgatory]

[ 16. October 2016, 00:48: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly Alves:
quote:
And I don't want to leave the pretty people out of the dialogue, either-- they have to deal with people expecting them to stick with the pretty. Don't think too hard, girls, it will give you forehead lines. Start getting Botox at 22, you can't take chances.
Another example: I saw Cindy Crawford making an address to a women's conference. She spoke of the time (having graduated valedictorian) she went into a calculus course she'd signed up for as a chemical engineering major, and the prof looked up and told her, "Honey, I think you have the wrong class.” She is still royally pissed off by the memory. Of course, the story is a bit spoiled by the fact that she then dropped out and went to New York to be a supermodel. But, hey, I guess she got the life she wanted. And at least she didn't give in on the mole thing.

[ 16. October 2016, 06:13: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I saw Cindy Crawford making an address to a women's conference. She spoke of the time (having graduated valedictorian) she went into a calculus course she'd signed up for as a chemical engineering major, and the prof looked up and told her, "Honey, I think you have the wrong class.”

To which the perfect rejoinder would have been, "No, sweetie, you've got the wrong bimbo!"

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People who are good at spotting such things will notice that I have very neat, barely visible, scars which start at my earlobes, run up in front of my ears, then go backwards into my hairline. Yup, facelift scars! I haven't had a facelift, though, but got my scars as a result of bilateral TMJ arthroplasty.

I look as though I've had a facelift, but it didn't work.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a senior now, and while some people say I don't look my age, I think I do. I claim the early-onset white hair (truly, all the women in my family go gray or white in their 20s or 30s), and really, once I stopped coloring it my high school red, I felt perkier and younger. I claim the wrinkles, the so-called crepe skin (and will never buy all the products for crepe skin that I've seen advertised).

But still, sometimes when I'm connected with a vision of my younger self, an event happens.

The other day, I found a standing lamp at a yard sale across the street from my place. It had a lovely, thick piece of glass around the middle, perfect for a coffee cup or phone or whatever. The woman who sold it to me said she would carry it across the street for me because "you won't be able to lift it."

I told her with a smile (and a bit of inner chagrin) that I had just come from the gym, and then I attempted to lift it.

Snap! She was right. I couldn't lift it. [Hot and Hormonal]

sabine

[ 17. October 2016, 14:48: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016