homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bunnies, kittens, candyfloss and hope (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bunnies, kittens, candyfloss and hope
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More happiness! Upthread I mentioned the "Breaking Cat News" comic strip and that it was on hiatus. Well, the main reason it was on hiatus was that the cartoonist, Georgia Dunn, was reformulating it to fit a more traditional newspaper format. She explained that she could no longer continue the strip in the web format unless it started paying (and better than the occasional merchandise sale to fans--for example, my Christmas/Hanukkah cards this year will all be BCN cards). She needed it to be picked up by newspapers (yeah, okay, not exactly a growth industry).

Anyway, Georgia announced this week that her strip has been picked up by Universal/Uclick to be one of their new strips for 2017!!! [Yipee] The Uclick sales crew will be pitching it to newspapers and is expected to start in March/April of 2017.

It truly is a delightful strip, viewing the world from the cat viewpoint--and their world tends to be their house or backyard. It is warm, funny and family-friendly. The lead cats are based on Georgia's real cats: Elvis (a siamese who tends to dislike everybody except Georgia,whom he is devoted to); Lupin, an adventurous white who (because of any infection) is deaf; and Puck, a warm-hearted black who lost a rear leg in his youth.

So I will be sending e-mails to my local papers trying to get them to pick it up, but in the meantime I still am rejoicing that Georgia has got the Universal backing! [Axe murder]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... Organists Behaving Badly™ ...

Surely not!! [Angel]

An Organist's Wife Has Spoken. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... Organists Behaving Badly™ ...

Surely not!! [Angel]

An Organist's Wife Has Spoken. [Big Grin]

Years ago there was a wonderful thread about organists behaving badly. I looked for it in Limbo, but I couldn't find it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved that thread, Moo! Good times. [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I loved that thread, Moo! Good times. [Smile]

I found the press release but not the 2003 (!) thread. Nothing to stop us doing an update and including other church musicians. I'm sure people have got up to plenty of mischief since then. [Two face]

Tubbs

[ 14. November 2016, 13:17: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent the weekend at my brother's farm. They have a log burning fire. I really enjoyed setting it - very therapeutic [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very hygge .

Tangent: could the Ship be described as "hyggelig" I wonder?

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Very hygge .

Sounds very much like the German idea of "Gemütlichkeit."

(Sorry, hosts, I can't really translate "Gemütlichkeit" -- it's often cited as a word that cannot be translated into English, but it sort of means a feeling of coziness, contentedness, comfort, and relaxation.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Very hygge .

Sounds very much like the German idea of "Gemütlichkeit."

(Sorry, hosts, I can't really translate "Gemütlichkeit" -- it's often cited as a word that cannot be translated into English, but it sort of means a feeling of coziness, contentedness, comfort, and relaxation.

Also Gezellig in Dutch (cosiness of a sort).

I saw Arrival, the new Amy Adams film, last week. It's very sad in places, but an entirely uplifting experience. In the end,

[spoiler]when it's really necessary, the pen/tentacle/linguistic studies will be mightier than the sword [/spoiler].

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is so comforting!

Jenny, my youngest cat, has been suffering with bladder stones for a couple of weeks now. She was in such pain and misery at first and we didn't know what was wrong. The vet found stones and started treating it. Treatment has included subcutaneous fluids and heavy-duty pain killers. I have been giving her two shots a day. (We haven't had to give fluids for several days now.) Mostly she has been curled up in her bed.

I am delighted to report that she is now squirming like crazy when she gets her shot. (It now takes 2 of us to give it to her: one to hold, one to stick.) She is getting into everything and knocking things off counters and chasing moths. All of which means she is feeling much better. We'll go to one shot a day before bed time for a few days and then no more shots.

We have been so worried about her. It is good to see her being a little terror again.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been non-stop rereading some of my favorite books, Lois McMaster Bujold's fantasys set in the world of the five gods. They are very comforting.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curse of Chalion is one of the great fantasy novels of all time. Have you read her Sharing Knife series?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may have to reread the Chalion books too. I liked Paladin of Souls even more than its predecessor.

I read The Sharing Knife books, and liked them too. Still haven't got around to Vorkosigan, though.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda C, yes, I've read everything she's written. I have to say though, the Sharing Knife books are not my favs. Not that they aren't good, just that I don't like them as much as her other work.

Basso, did you know she has written three novellas originally only available in e-format set in the world of the Five Gods? Penric's Demon, Penric and the Shamen, and Penric's Mission. I just finished The Hallowed Hunt and am about to embark on rereading the Penric stories.

If I read I don't brood.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met a young Californian on the bus today. He told me that he had fallen in love with New Zealand and wants to move here. It turned out that he had been kayaking my favourite place on the West Coast, Lake Brunner. It was so lovely to have him share his delight in the place, almost as good as re-visiting it myself. Then he asked me to identify the photo of a bird he had taken (a kea).

I was sorry to get to my stop, and he carried on to catch his plane home.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A gentle reminder that we have several threads to discuss books and book suggestions in Heaven. This is a wonderful thread to let us know that you are getting lost in reading, but please make suggestions and queries about other books in the appropriate threads.

Thanks!

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm doing lot of sudoku and reading #bidenmemes. I am diligently avoiding the newspapers in favor of a new novella (Bujold's Penric's Mission) and a house-become-jungle. We had a frost and must now arrange all the six-foot tender plants in front of the inadequate windows.

The jungle invaded my living room (via Mr. Lamb) while I was out with a group of Boy Scouts freezing my butt off. The fire was lovely, though, and we had the least amount of kid bickering ever!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At work we have had a very keen work experience visitor from a school 25 miles away who is so enthusiastic that we've found ourselves smiling broadly and enjoying the mysteries of health care even more than usual.

Meanwhile I am also loving singing carols, even though it feels a little early before Advent really hits. We need to practice before some concerts next month.

Cattyish, Oh soul be thou as white as snow oh..

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things that make me feel good? My new wood-burning stove, set in the brick fireplace the installers built for me. The cats like it too.

Things that make me feel safe? In ascending order of stress management, golden age whodunnits, Georgette Heyer and closed world children's books such as the Chalet School series.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sitting here in an hotel room in the middle of a city [it is still early so the city is not yet much awake] I have just opened the window and I was serenaded by a little group of doves cooing away to one another. It is a lovely and comforting sound, so different from the crows we get at this hour at home in my little village.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cuddling Mollie and watching her play with my Tatze.

Great therapy!

Mollie and Tatze

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Mollie on those newly sanded and varnished floors!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'm doing lot of sudoku and reading #bidenmemes. I am diligently avoiding the newspapers in favor of a new novella (Bujold's Penric's Mission) and a house-become-jungle. We had a frost and must now arrange all the six-foot tender plants in front of the inadequate windows.

The jungle invaded my living room (via Mr. Lamb) while I was out with a group of Boy Scouts freezing my butt off. The fire was lovely, though, and we had the least amount of kid bickering ever!

The Biden memes have been the quinine in the epidemic of the last week. Love me some Joe.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doctor Who and kittens. What more could you want?

Yes, I know. They're born killers. Even if they appear to be friendly.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kitten Kong
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, they don't make them like that any more. [Big Grin] I used to love watching the Goodies.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Cuddling Mollie and watching her play with my Tatze.

Great therapy!

Mollie and Tatze

[Big Grin]

Tatze is such a loving, patient sweetheart -- and Mollie is absolutely adorable.

Dogs and puppies are the best stress busters.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat sleeps in a cardboard box in the garage. I know it sounds cruel, but it is entirely his choice. He loves to come inside but wants to leave after ten minutes and he sneers at all the fuzzy cat beds I've made for him.

Always, after about two months he will suddenly shun his cardboard box for mysterious cat reasons of his own, so I get him a new one. This week, all I could find in a hurry was a little box about the size of a large toaster. I thought he wouldn't fit, but put it out, temporarily.

At three in the morning I let the dog out and I could tell by her frenzy of delighted wagging that all 15 pounds of her cat was firmly stuffed in the box. Yes it's a square box of cat with eyes. Very cute.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Always, after about two months he will suddenly shun his cardboard box for mysterious cat reasons of his own, so I get him a new one.

I suppose it might smell a bit stale by then.

quote:
Yes it's a square box of cat with eyes. Very cute.
I'm imagining something along these lines...
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly! [Killing me]
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking after a friend's cat for the weekend, and she is an adorable little thing. Spent most of the first day under the bed, so I sat up there quietly doing some writing and she came out and had a fuss.
This morning she woke me for breakfast, did the classic walking over the computer keyboard bit, and has now retired to watch the world from the bedroom window.
I think I'll be volunteering to have her to stay again.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Always, after about two months he will suddenly shun his cardboard box for mysterious cat reasons of his own, so I get him a new one.

I suppose it might smell a bit stale by then.

quote:
Yes it's a square box of cat with eyes. Very cute.
I'm imagining something along these lines...

It's instinctive -- the same reason that mother cats will suddenly take it into their heads to move the nest of kittens. Moving to a new box or domicile leaves all the fleas and parasites behind. Even if you keep your kitty well and there are no fleas, they'll instinctively do it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably why my cat always chooses to sleep on the clean clothes [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Ah, that makes sense, Brenda. Now, if I could just move to a nice clean house every few months...
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Dumping the ingredients into the breadmaker and two hours later, the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the place as I take out a perfectly baked little loaf. This always makes me smile.

It sits there on the cooling rack looking plump and golden brown, and smelling so appetizing that I can almost never resist cutting a slice while it's still hot, watching the butter melt into it, and maybe spreading it with honey.

Sometimes the small pleasures are the best.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... cutting a slice while it's still hot, watching the butter melt into it, and maybe spreading it with honey ...

Absolutely. Or Tiptree raspberry jam. [Smile]

You're dead right - bread-making is one of life's most therapeutic little pleasures.

Must make a batch of loaves tomorrow. [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I also made bread this weekend. I prefer to use my fair hand (all that kneading is muchly therapeutic). This time I used half wholemeal flour (what the French call semi-complet) and added a load of poppy seeds. It was tasty.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tiptree raspberry jam is yet another proof that God loves us, wants us to be happy, and supports the sale of dental floss...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Oatmeal in a normal sense is not available here but we can get porage oats - and I have found a ridiculously simple recipe for making oatcakes from them!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We were in town the other day and on the way back to the car Himself spotted a bird in a tree watching us - I think it was a Montagu's Harrier.

These are by no means rare but this was right near the town centre and, like many raptors, they are very beautiful.

For some reason I cannot make the link but a quick search should sort one out for you.

Where Montagu was at the time I have no idea.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Oatmeal in a normal sense is not available here but we can get porage oats - and I have found a ridiculously simple recipe for making oatcakes from them!

[Yipee]

I wonder if we might trouble you for that recipe? One of my life's more frustrating failures is an inability to make decent oatcakes.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I shall place it in the recipes thread.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I shall place it in the recipes thread.

Thank you most kindly - will try it quite soon.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
AuthorDiva
Apprentice
# 18640

- Posted      Profile for AuthorDiva   Email AuthorDiva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good, flavorful, freshly brewed mug of coffee with half & half cream, cinnamon and a drop of vanilla extract = a little bit of Heaven on Earth!

Walking down the street and exchanging a smile with someone you have just almost collided with is another beautiful thing.

--------------------
I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy than a success at something I hate. George Burns

Posts: 2 | From: Bronx, New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lithuanian pea-and-smoked-flank soup....mmmmmmm...

Just the thing for warming up after a Winterfest shopping trip!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been a lot of talk of bread in this thread but a thick chunk of good seeded bread spread with salted butter is a thing of beauty by itself.
There's a bakery in Abergavenny which sells out of its multi seed bread by mid morning, it's the darkest bread I've ever had, really nutty.....I'm wanting some even as I write this.it also makes wonderful toast.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

On Dr's recommendation I have been avoiding anything with wheat in it for the last month or so but today is the day I can start eating bread again!

[Yipee]

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen to the Joy of bread.
Fresh baked white, nutty brown bread with flour on top, plenty of butter.....all good 😊

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There I was chewing at the bread machine's seedy bread when I noticed an odd thing at the back of my mouth, smooth and hard.

Detached crown, hanging on by a thread.

Dead tooth pulled loose as well. I'm going to have to have a special surgical procedure, under local anaesthetic, to remove the root.

It was my most hard working chewing tooth!

I'm going to have to be more careful with the bread.

[ 03. December 2016, 08:32: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I was feeling a bit grumpy when I exited the supermarket. A large van was parked outside with
Special Branch painted on the side.

A new firm of arborists in town.

Immediately lifted my grump [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016