homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Spring is sprung... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Spring is sprung...
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are the signs that Spring has come/is on it's way?
I haven't seen any lambs yet, though it looks as if farmers are bringing their sheep to easily accessible fields. There seems to be more birds around, it doesn't seem to get dark quite so early, and I've seen lots of catkins.
What signs of Spring have other shipmates seen?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Encountered my first dead skunk of the year on the road yesterday - unusually early. A lot of poor creatures have been fooled by the warm spell.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's January. I'd give it another three months ... [Disappointed]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
It's January. I'd give it another three months ... [Disappointed]

Possibly 4. Or 5. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No signs of Spring here in Australia...

Spring in a Welsh valley sounds wonderful; dead skunks, on the other hand, I could do without, whatever the time of year.

Notionally, our seasons here are six months out from those of the northern hemisphere, but we would never have any sign of the approach of autumn in January. On the contrary, we haven't yet come to the worst heats of summer, which are normally in February and well into March.

We had a long winter last year, and spring was late and short. The jacarandas, which normally put on a stunning display through November, did not flower until December, and had only half the flowers of a normal year. Fortunately the summer has been mild, at least so far. Next week the schools go back after the summer holidays, and that is normally the time when the heat-waves start, and the lawns and the bush turn brown.

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tobias:

Next week the schools go back after the summer holidays, and that is normally the time when the heat-waves start, and the lawns and the bush turn brown.

There is a move here in NZ to shift the school holidays so that February, when the weather is usually hotter and more settled becomes the holiday time rather then back to school. The primary school where I volunteer starts back on Jan 30.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Sunday morning it was very cold but bright, and I noticed the birds wheeling over our house and thought, "Spring is on the way".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sign of spring - I cleared out the porch [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tobias, while your summer has been mild our part of Terra Australis is heading for the hottest summer in about 25 years. The news has just reported January nighttime temperatures have been about 3 degrees above average. Over the last month, we have had at least one day per week at 40degC or above.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Willow catkins, snowdrops, daffodils with tight buds, grape hyacinth stems poking through. No lambs, but the sheep are looking very large. Oh, and I've been gardening, that's a sure sign. [Big Grin]

We also have half a dozen rose bushes with flowers still out - actual flowers, not just tight buds that won't open. There's red campion out in the lane, too. I'm not sure what season these things suggest...

(Also Wales, but up a mountain rather than in a valley.)

[ 24. January 2017, 09:57: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Tobias, while your summer has been mild our part of Terra Australis is heading for the hottest summer in about 25 years. The news has just reported January nighttime temperatures have been about 3 degrees above average. Over the last month, we have had at least one day per week at 40degC or above.

The forecast for next Monday and Tuesday seems to be a repeat of yesterday and today. So glad when it rained. We could use much more.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No sign of spring here in southern England yet. As someone who likes to get out of the city when I can, I would say spring is when the ground is more firm underfoot, rather than a winter quagmire. One can walk through woodlands that are green rather than bare brown and the sound of birdsong makes for a pleasant natural soundtrack.

The smell of bluebells and wild garlic are an added bonus.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drifting Star, your mountain seems further advanced than our valley! I haven't seen much sign of daffs yet, although a local florist has some for sale.
(The 800' contour line runs through our house)

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my brother-in-law died eight years ago, we went over to Scotland for the funeral in mid-February. Newfoundland was still several feet deep in snow, but Spring was definitely springing back in Blighty. In the south of England, the daffodils were pretty much over; in Edinburgh (where the funeral was, on a beautiful, very nearly warm day) they were just past their height; and in Orkney (where his ashes were scattered) they were just coming into full bloom.

After the funeral, we went back south and joined D's parents who were on holiday in Devon, where it was, quite literally, shirt-sleeve weather.

We flew back via Ottawa, where it was absolutely baltic - it was so cold that when we went out in the evening to get something to eat, we ended up in the first restaurant we passed that was open (which was, as it turned out, very good indeed).

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Drifting Star, your mountain seems further advanced than our valley! I haven't seen much sign of daffs yet, although a local florist has some for sale.
(The 800' contour line runs through our house)

Your valley isn't much lower than our mountain (which, it is true, is a small one)! We're at 890 feet. We are only a few miles from the sea, and in sight of it, so we have quite a strange climate - we're just above the snow line (although haven't had much for a few years) but seem to get fewer frosts than other areas. It makes no sense to me!

Of course, facing west as we do, we get the sun shining on us for a good portion of any day when the sun does shine.

[ 25. January 2017, 09:15: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a few feeble snowdrops so far.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Primroses! And midges. Seriously.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am torn between wanting spring to come and being very very happy to get all the rain we can have. Tomorrow is Groundhog day in the states. Feb.2, so the truth will tell. Looks like Phil will not see his shadow, around my house anyway and go back into the den for another 6 weeks.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Tomorrow is Groundhog day in the states. Feb.2, so the truth will tell. Looks like Phil will not see his shadow, around my house anyway and go back into the den for another 6 weeks.

I thought if he did see his shadow he went back into his den for another six weeks of winter.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an interesting coincidence. A friend posted on Facebook the following:

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright,
winter will have another fight.
If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain,
winter won't come again.
If Candlemas Day be dry and fair,
the half o' the winter's to come and mair.
If Candlemas Day be wet and foul,
the half o' the winter's gone at yule.

Candlemas and Groundhog day are the same date.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Well so far, we've had torrential rain, cloud, and now some weak sunshine. I don't think the rhyme covers such a mixture!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few brave flowers have been seen (c 200' up in beautiful Newport). I'm looking for the daffodils along our bus route which have been seen in January, but not that early since the drains were replaced a few years ago.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, in most of Canada, spring is far away. Which is good, we're off to BC visiting one of my children and going downhill skiing in a couple of weeks. There's 5 metres of snow in the East Kootenay mountains. With more on the way. [Cool]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first snowdrops have appeared in my garden. [Yipee]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen a daffodil (on the Isle of Wight) and snowdrops (in Hampshire) in the past week...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, there are snowdrops in a garden in the village street here, too.

[Smile]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hellebores are in their full glory...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snowdrops, primroses which never went away, various things shooting in bare earth and daylight til nearly 6.00pm.
Lifts the Spirits, even though true Spring is a little way off yet.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our suburban London small garden this morning we had two goldcrests in the same bush (unusual for us, we only usually see one) and two robins (again, unusual for us) which were not aggressive to each other. This shows spring is on the way, birds looking each other over, seeking mates.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My allergies have been terrible this past week, so spring has definitely sprung.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

And a friend in Pembrokeshite posted on Facebook that they'd had snow!

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Denver, we get maybe six weeks out of the year where it is possible that the temperature might drop below freezing and stay there for a few days. I think we are safely out of that window, and nearer the time of year loosely called "spring" where it might snow a foot one day, but it will generally be 60 degrees and sunny the next. So there's that.

I've been on crocus countdown since Christmas, and it's good to know the first will be popping up in three weeks or so. I put a bunch down in the yard last fall, and I'm eagerly anticipating their appearance.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:

Awww - I like Pembrokeshire! [Biased]

There was a short blizzard on our mountain an hour or so ago, but it got rained away almost immediately.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:

Snow in February? Hold the front page! [Devil]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Darkened had quite a job scraping the ice off the car this morning, though by this afternoon, it was lovely and sunny and 7 degrees.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Here, it was lovely and sunny and -8°. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

"Only" 74F (23C) here -- I must get my jacket.
[Biased]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The American author Bill Bryson was highly amused the first time he went to the UK to see the following headline in one of the tabloid papers:
quote:
BRITAIN SIZZLES IN THE SEVENTIES!

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

The daffodil leaves are starting to show on the banking below our house.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some black heads on the black headed gulls.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Anemones in flower in a pot. Mind you, I have sweet williams in flower in a pot too, so maybe my pots have a microclimate all of their own.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went to Church yesterday (Our Place) - the bluebells are beginning to sprout up at the east end, and the celandines are appearing close by.

[Yipee]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Lambs! Just one group, but clearly a few weeks old and just let out into a bigger field. 🐑 🐑 🐑

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Lambs! Just one group, but clearly a few weeks old and just let out into a bigger field. 🐑 🐑 🐑

[Axe murder]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our garden now boasts three yellow flowers: one daffodil, one crocus and one dandelion. Guess which one is looking healthiest!
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

There are primroses in flower in our church grounds.
We went to Hereford on Saturday and there were hyacinths and crocuses (in pots) in flower in the garden outside the cafe.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suddenly, without warning, there are mini daffs in my garden - fabulous! I feel summer is just a hop & a skip away.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Although there are still huge heaps of sn*w all over the place, the temperature here has shot up today, and even hit double digits! It may not last, but it felt decidedly springy this afternoon.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was lovely to see all the catkins out on my drive to work this morning

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed tree branches budding like arthritic fingers.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016