homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Spring is sprung... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Spring is sprung...
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cut the grass yesterday - lifted the blade just a touch - and the whole place looks a million per cent better [Yipee]

Definitely a sign of spring - 'and the voice of the lawn-mower is heard in the land!'

[Smile]

Mrs. S, who won't be half as happy to cut the lawns in a few months time [Two face]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No chance of that in this quagmire! However, yesterday we did see two more lambs - brand new, tiny ones this time. Most of the rest of the sheep around here are looking large and grumpy, so hopefully there will be more lambs very, very soon. [Big Grin]

🐑 🐑

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of daffodils by the roadside yesterday.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windchill below -20C all day today, and at least some snow in the forecast for 11 of the next 14 days, including 15cm one of those days.

Spring has not yet sprung.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a light jacket over thermals and well-padded leggings required for cycling today. Spring is springing! The garden is showing signs of still having life. The greenhouse hasn't been below 0° Celsius for three or four nights. The blackbirds already paired up and the robins are constantly shadowing me when I dig, looking for handy pre-chopped worms in my wake.

I'm starting seeds off in propagators and contemplating how to create proper paths.

Cattyish, constantly muddy.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I've seen Mr. & Mrs. Blackbird busily doing whatever it is they're doing, on my walk to the Bus Stop (which takes me along a footpath through a narrow belt of trees).

And my Cycling Men are taking a break, whilst some lovely Crow Cusses spring up among them!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still not much in the way of flowers here, but the sn*w on the back deck had receded enough that I could put some food out for the crows without having to put boots on. That's progress. [Smile]

No matter that the cat was having a prowl round the deck at the time and helped herself to the bits that fell off the fence-ledge. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very much looking forward to the approach of autumn here. It has been a long, hot, hard summer. Temps in high 30s and up to 45 here, Centigrade. Worse in many areas of the city.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
Just a light jacket over thermals and well-padded leggings required for cycling today. Spring is springing! The garden is showing signs of still having life. The greenhouse hasn't been below 0° Celsius for three or four nights. The blackbirds already paired up and the robins are constantly shadowing me when I dig, looking for handy pre-chopped worms in my wake.

10" of snow starting Saturday night. -20C in the morning. Riding with the 2.5" Ice Spiker tires (Schwalbe). I actually don't wear much more than you. Nylon wind pants over longjohns (thermals under nylon wind trousers), wind shell jacket and 2 upperbody under layers with toque and face tube (wool knit hat and neck gaiter; have I got lingo for UK right in parentheses?). More snow coming. The snow geese are coming to the river which is breaking up due to melting to the west. Took the dog skiing (XC), she had a wonderful time. Could leave right from the front door. She ran so fast down hill she somersaulted in a bundle of happy energy. Hoar frost means humidity is rising.

The days are getting longer, spring about 8-10 weeks away if weather is usual. My 90 year old father is going through seed catalogues in prep. There are 72 day beefsteak tomatoes on offer and the sweet 100s are 60 days to eating (cherry tomatoes). Bohemian waxwings are eating the mountain ash berries. The rabbits (snowshoe hares actually) are going a wee bit grey now from the snow white, getting ready to brown up. All signs of spring soon.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We could perhaps adopt US usage and say that fall has fallen. Since last Wednesday, we've had much cooler weather, along with a lot of needed rain.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are now moving into summer rather than spring but likewise we have had the rain - and doesn't it smell just wonderful! Another thunderstorm promised for late afternoon.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cat shedding her winter coat everywhere is a less welcome sign of spring [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recommend a Furminator. It is a grooming tool, with a blade in it. When I use it on my cat I get vast fluffy clouds of white fur, easily enough to upholster an entire separate feline.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or the President's head...

I'll shut the door on me way out.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went up to Oxfordshire to the induction of our ex-vicar into his new parish. There were swathes of hawthorn blossom along some roads, the churchyard of the new parish had masses of snowdrops. And I've seen my first lambs this year, near Gloucester.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spring has been put on hold here - we've just had a dusting of sn*w.

I lay the blame fairly and squarely on D., who's been saying to anyone who'll listen that we've had the last big sn*wfall of the winter ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O dear. Hopefully, your latest sn*w will soon go...

Here, it's very mild, with sunny spells and showers. Rather like an early April (which probably means frost, hail, sn*w, and other delights when April does arrive).

I recall a bitterly cold Easter Sunday (in April) a few years ago, when heavy sn*w (by UK standards) began to fall shortly before the 1030am Mass. Our then organist opined that the first hymn should be changed to 'Once in Royal David's City'....
[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaf buds have just turned green on the sycamores.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I recall a bitterly cold Easter Sunday (in April) a few years ago, when heavy sn*w (by UK standards) began to fall shortly before the 1030am Mass. Our then organist opined that the first hymn should be changed to 'Once in Royal David's City'....
[Eek!]

IJ

Perhaps "In the bleak midwinter"?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No, she reckoned on that for the Communion hymn!

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
O dear. Hopefully, your latest sn*w will soon go...

It did - it's been quite mild and wet today, which shifted it rightly.

However, there are some ominous-looking sn*wflakes in the forecast for the middle of next week - possibly the phenomenon known in Newfoundland as "Sheila's Brush" - a dump of snow around St. Patrick's Day.

I've no idea who the Sheila in question was - maybe St. Patrick's sister or cleaning-lady ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard my first ice cream truck as it passed by my house a little while ago, playing some sort of obnoxious, jangly tune. Not quite the same as hearing the first cuckoo in spring.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I heard my first ice cream truck as it passed by my house a little while ago, playing some sort of obnoxious, jangly tune. Not quite the same as hearing the first cuckoo in spring.

A couple of Punch cartoons from the late 60s or so. The first had a couple of women talking over the fence. One says to the other that the rain must be clearing as she could hear the chimes of the ice-cream van to the south east. The second had a couple of 7 or 8 year olds. The girl says of the passing ice-cream van that it's playing their tune.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local ice cream van was spotted yesterday, two miles away and loaded to it's ceiling with grey cardboard boxes. The sticker-signs on the windows have all been cleaned off.

Should i be expecting a refurbished service or mourning a regular visitor?

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the appearance of an ice-cream van presages the arrival of rain?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sincerely hope not, i have plans for tomorrow!
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All my washing dried on the line outside and we saw our first brimstone butterfly of the year. [Smile]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our spring is progressing differently. It was melty on Saturday at about +5°C, then the temp dropped 15° and the wind started up and we got almost 18" of snow all told. After the snow stopped, the temp dropped again to -20, and the wind absolutely howled. We ended up with lots of blowing snow and snowdrifts of biblical proportions*.

It's heading to -35 or so tonight; interestingly -35 and -40 are about the same whether in °F or °C. The prediction for temp is we will be melty again in 6 or 7 days.

*snowfall of biblical proportions: is there snow in the bible at all?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I was in my garden today checking the new leaves coming in on my fig tree and heard an odd chirpy sound -- a very small* hummingbird was slurping up ants that were milling around the damp spot around my sprinkler head. I had always thought that hummingbirds ate only nectar, but researching this today, I learned that they do eat bugs (and are perhaps attracted to nectar because there are insects in and around the nectar).

*Yes, all hummingbirds are very small, but this one was even smaller than most of the ones around here.

--------------------
~Tortuf

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

There was I, thinking that Spring had sprung, but today we've returned to winter [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I understand from the Telegraph that the north of England is bracing itself for "up to 10cm" (about 4 inches) of sn*w.

Amateurs. [Devil]

It actually did feel quite spring-like here today: the temperature got up to 9°, we have some visible grass and I'm out without a coat. [Smile]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a hard cold freeze, with snow, earlier this month and all the tips of the hydrangeas are frozen off. Probably no bloom this year.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Raining pretty well all day here, with a chilly easterly breeze springing up. I Said We Would Pay For The Mild Weather...But We Could Do With It, For The Garden..... [Disappointed]

And yes, I believe there is amateur sn*w in the Upper Parts of the country. [Help]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I shouldn't have been so smug. [Hot and Hormonal]

It was snowing quite determinedly this morning when I went downstairs to feed the cat, and although it didn't last (and didn't really lie), the wind has got up and it's jolly cold (currently -8° but feeling like -18).

As you were, chaps. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trees are all budding, the forsythia is close to bursting out, the birds are singing as they build their new nests in inconvenient places... And it snew an inch last night.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We have double digits! [Yipee]

It's currently 12° and feeling delightfully springish.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016