homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: I do not hope to turn again - Lent 2008 (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: I do not hope to turn again - Lent 2008
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is the trying that is important; keep trying!

[Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live with post traumatic stress disorder following rape, which limits my life to a certain extent and Lent is always a particularly difficult time as the anniversary day comes around then.

This year I though I might make a particular effort to do something that challenged my limitations, but couldn't think of how to do it. Last weekend I was at a Seminar about the 'other' gospels and at lunch-time discovered the speaker was organising a mini-bus trip through to the West Coast. The idea is to take 4 days, (it can be driven in 3 hours) with heaps of stopping off points and time for reflection, walking in the bush and staying 3 nights in backpacker accomodation.

I said that walking in the bush was one of the things I missed about living here, and it turned out that there was one space left. It was within my budget so I took it.

I know this won't sound like much to some people, but it pushes my self-protective boundaries. To be honest I'm still a bit worried about how I will cope, especially at night, but I am going to give it my best shot.

I think this is about living life in all it's fullness and I am hoping for a sense of resurrection from it.

That said I'd appreciate prayers for and during next week.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, that sounds like a great opportunity for you. Blessings on your Lenten spiritual journey.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's wonderful, Huia. I hope it goes well!

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Huia. It sounds like it will be a wonderful experience. Enjoy your bushwalking.

My original Lenten intention of getting up early in the morning for prayer has been a bit swamped by the fact that it's currently the end of summer semester and I have a pile of marking etc. to do. However, I've managed to do most of the reading I set for myself.

I'm just going to keep starting Lent again, every day until I get it right.

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
chasee#1
Shipmate
# 10909

- Posted      Profile for chasee#1   Author's homepage   Email chasee#1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
seeing as I'm looking into going into teaching eventually, and I've sent in applications for various day care jobs, i've decided also to give up swearing. I have a handy little rubber band on my wrist to snap as a reminder for everytime I cuss. My wrist is quite red... i'm afraid of a blood clot. But I actually think I'm learning. I've only snapped the rubber band about 7 or so times today, instead of the 40 something the other day...
Improvement? I think so...

--------------------
"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section..."-(Chasee Disclaimer)Not Chasee's quote...

Posts: 155 | From: Riverside, RI | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going to jump Ship for the rest of Lent. It isn't really part of a Lenten discipline, but more an disciple in getting all the work done for my preaching course.

Goodbye for now.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia

Prayers promised, now and next week.

Landlubber

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm finding it a little hard but worthwhile at the moment - the difficulty is mainly due to tiredness, but once I push through that I am getting the beginnings of an idea how these practices might change me.

PS Huia, you don't know me but I've been in a possibly similar situation PTSD-wise, so [Votive]

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Huia for enjoying the trip and all the opportunities.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Huia, I'll be praying now and through the trip.
Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Ash Wednesday, the homily was about "Telling the Truth." Seemingly, letting the Light of Christ shine upon us is an uncomfortable activity.

It pierced me to the heart (and scared the s*@t out of me). Over the years, I've gotten rather good at lying to myself.

This Lent, I'm trying not to run away from all the indications of ugliness in my life. I'm trying to own up to the lies I tell myself and those around me. At this point in the journey, I'm doing my best to avoid feeling shattered about how dishonest I've become, and how easy it has been to get to that place. How I have cooperated with sin and impeded God.

I'm trying to repent, and struggling with how unpleasant truth and honesty really are.

My prayer has become disturbingly semaphoric. Oh.God. God. Oh. God. OhGodOGODOGODOGODOGODOGOD. Mercy.

I really don't like Lent. I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally don't like Lent.

Thank God for Lent.

t

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may sound incredibly stupid, but not for me. I'm giving up angsting about Marvel Comics for Lent. Er, yes, really. The link explains it all. And debating about it, though I'll state my thoughts and concerns simply but without long arguments. It's been sucking up a lot of time and thought.

On an interesting note, I posted about that elsewhere on another comics site and wound up in a really long discussion on theology, prayer, and such with another poster (I tried to entice him to the Ship but he didn't want to come; he thinks he would not be able to follow the 10 C's re crusading, as he's rather zealous about his own take on such things, as I eventually learned myself) and I realized I really needed to come post more on the Ship than I have been...

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er... and also working on those new opportunities for negativity I've discovered. It's like playing Whack-a-Mole , I swear...

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, this is going to seem strange to many; but I have two things I am working on during Lent. One is the fact that because food is basically just fuel to me, I have never had problems fasting from it or eating on the run from one activity to the next. So my discipline is not to concentrate on getting things done, but to sit down and eat and fellowship with people. Lord knows I have enough friends and parishioners I've been meaning to catch up with. So the challenge is to concentrate on community rather than service to the community.

The second happened quite by accident. My spouse (referred to here as The Pole or TP) has been getting up promptly each morning when the alarm goes, and then bringing me in a pot of tea and disappearing for a little while. When I asked what he was doing, he said his discipline was to go through the morning and evening prayer book services each day of Lent. So we are now doing this together, and it is lovely. A wonderful way to start each day, and a wonderful way to end it. Why is this unusual? Well, TP is a Catholic, but has chosen to use my Anglican Prayer Book as his resource. Deo Gratia. [Smile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] from me too for this journey, Huia.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Another prayer ascending, Huia, for your trip.

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
My prayer has become disturbingly semaphoric. Oh.God. God. Oh. God. OhGodOGODOGODOGODOGODOGOD. Mercy.

That's been my default for quite some years now. Fasten your seatbelt.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to reduce my dependence on sugar and caffine to get through the day. No chocolate, biscuits, cake, sweets etc. I have cut down on the number of cups of tea I have in the day, and cut down the sugar in them. I am hoping to be completely off caffine by easter. Redbush tea is pretty good!

I am also trying to make my prayer time more regular and to retry "activity management" for my health. It sounds like a lot, but it isn't feeling too bad at the moment. All of these things (except the prayer time) have been recommended because of my health, so this is my attempt at treating my body well which I have always been pretty bad at.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often tried giving up alcohol for Lent. I've never succeeded. But I've never tried twice in the same Lent. I could give it another go. Three times even, maybe - but that's already anticipating a second failure. No. From Monday, I'm giving up alcohol - again - for the rest of Lent. I'll let y'all know how I get on. How we get on, that is.

[ 16. February 2008, 22:40: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
claudine
Shipmate
# 12441

- Posted      Profile for claudine   Email claudine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My second Sunday morning without coffee was not as bad as the first. I did dash across the road as soon as I was released from the sacristy, to get an espresso rather than cheap church coffee, but I didn't have such a painful caffeine-withdrawal headache, and I don't think I spent as much time thinking about the coffee I was missing. Perhaps by the end of Lent I'll approach the fast with joy!
Posts: 355 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought about giving something up for Lent but have decided not to. I am trying to be more like Jesus--this takes more time than just Lent. This is not a dig at people's Lenten sacrifices, it is rather a considered response to God's calling.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having had a poor week prayer-wise, I'm going to try to start again tomorrow with my getting up early.

Lord, help me and the others here to make the time (now and always) to go into the wilderness and rediscover that you were here with us all along. [Votive]

Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's amazing how bad habits and decisions which weren't a problem before Lent are coming back and having a go at me now. The moment I have cleared a space from some other things I'm not doing any more, back come the other "moles" popping out of their holes as ChastMastr said above.

And I thought I had picked do-able targets - last year I decided something along the lines of the old "if you can't say anything nice..." adage halfway through Lent, and this was so not my normal MO I had a really hard time with it.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

That's exactly it. Why is it that being more aware of yourself makes you do worse things rather than better things?

I remembered to spend some time in prayer this morning, but it felt more like a chore than true worship. [Frown] As the old adage goes, fake it 'til you make it. [Votive]

Flounder
Shipmate
# 3859

- Posted      Profile for Flounder   Email Flounder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always asked myself the same question. It seems that I am always at my very worst during Lent, no matter how much I try to clean up my act.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:
That's exactly it. Why is it that being more aware of yourself makes you do worse things rather than better things?

Posts: 1082 | From: Flounderland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flounder:
I have always asked myself the same question. It seems that I am always at my very worst during Lent, no matter how much I try to clean up my act.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:

I think James may be onto something. [Cool]

When one is young (Yes, I do remember Ultra C! [Snigger] ) I think it is easy to be too hard on oneself.

There are things one can 'give up' (girlie mags, booze et sim spring immediately to mind). Anything that degrades our human state and distracts from the main game.

Lent is preparation for Easter. The Ultimate Christian Paradox. Joy in seeming Sorrow.

I think a lot of the time we need to relax, let go, make what space and time we can, let go and let God.

It is really a time of focussing inward. Not just being dragged away by attractive girls, loud music, meaningless discussion and other such distractions.

Self-flagellation, whether mental or physical, is not called for.

We need to learn to love ourselves as God does. To let go of our delusions of how good or bad we are.

Let go and let God. [Smile]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Sir P. Thant's given me something to think about.

We set off in a couple of hours time and I'm a bit wound up. The whole 'new beginnings' thing seems a bit much right now, I want to go back to bed. Still I know there are people praying for me (thanks) and that makes it easier.

Huia

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lost a stone since Ash Wednesday. This could not, under any circumstances, be regarded as remotely healthy. I need to look at my Lenten fasting.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
rosamundi, there's a thread in Heaven about Lent recipes which has evolved into a discussion about healthy fasting; perhaps that would be a resource for you. Do take care of yourself.

And I broke down and had two glasses of wine last night. Feeling terribly ashamed today.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, have a really good and safe trip. [Smile]

Sounds like this could be a significant time for you.

God grant it all goes well.

May you feel safe and be protected. Always. [Votive]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
You should switch to an American doctor...

I just like the arithmetic. What she wants me to do is go from 211 to 175 pounds! It would probably lower my cholesterol too if I cut back on a lot of foods I like and actually stick to an exercise program. It's unlikely to be do-able in less than a year.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Huia for a time of renewal and enjoyment.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
I need to look at my Lenten fasting.

Actually, I think I need to buy new scales. I put half the weight lost back on in 24 hours, which seems unlikely (I weighed Xlb on Monday morning and weighed 7lb more than that on Tuesday).

[ 19. February 2008, 17:53: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I'm a bit tired to post more fully at the moment, but my time in the bush was a real renewal and the people were amazing.

Huia

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

I'm so glad to hear that Huia [Yipee]
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs after you..." only problem is, for the whole of Lent I am insanely busy at work with very stressful and time consuming things. I have spent so many nights recently getting home from work around 10ish then spending hours trying to wind down and stop thinking about work.

In order to deal with this overload I am trying:
prayer
Bible and commentary reading
Herbal tea
Herbal sleeping tablets
diarying (if that's a word)
Talking extensively to my husband and mother
A weekend away next week

I should exercise and eat better but stress and tiredness lead to pizza and the couch in my world.

I wish I could find a way of being calm and focussed on God and especially not worrying about things and trying to take on responsibility for more than I can manage. (Even if other people are happy to try and give me that responsibility!)

EJ

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

EJ Come down to the West Coast [Biased] . Or failing that Tiritiri Matangi.

Seriously though I hope you do get to spend some time just be-ing, rather than the frenetic doing.

Something weird happened to the time while we were away. Various people, who are usually very busy, commented that they felt they had been aways for a couple of weeks rather than just days. I felt it too, almost as though time expanded. We took double the time on some tracks, not because they were difficult, but because we stopped to look at the vegetation, or a bush bird gave us an aerobatic display followed by a concert.

Five out of the 8 (not me) are experienced bush walkers and were very good at offering assistance, but not overbearingly so, in fact I have seldom felt comfortable with a group of people.

The bush is technically rainforest and I was totally blown away by the density of plant growth. The phrase about life "in all it's fullness" kept echoing in my mind as did the bits of Genesis where God looked on Creation and said it was good.

I'm not explaining this as clearly as I'd like to, and I need to think it through more. Actually the whole time away left me with some important, possibly life-changing issues to consider, which I have tucked away in my mind until the end of the month when my cousin's house will have passed into other hands and I will again have some time and space to reflect.

The other thing I want to say is that at the most difficult time (during the second day) when I was feeling wound up about something, I remembered that there were Shipmates praying for me which helped tremendously.

Thank-you,

Huia

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
<snip>

I think the word you are looking for is "journaling".

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
EJ Come down to the West Coast [Biased] . Or failing that Tiritiri Matangi.

Ooh, I'd love that! I shall have to settle for boring old Mangawai (1 1/2 hrs north of Auck) as it's quick to get to and we have a parent's bach to stay in. At least it'll be away- fresh air, sea birds, walking etc...

I have actually been doing a little better since my small rant. It's nice to read about what other people are doing and feel a sense of world-wide community.

EJ

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
<snip>

I think the word you are looking for is "journaling".
Oh thank you! Actually as an ex-English teacher I've always been keen on neologisms and also very sloppy about spelling, grammar, punctuation and "good" literature. I like the thought of English being fluid, evolving and open to all to use, enjoy and interpret.

Anyway, all that's hardly Lenten so do feel free to ignore... [Smile]

EJ

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having decided to give up chocolate for Lent to break a nasty habit of raiding the Traidcraft boxes which live under my bed and finding that the hardest habit to break, I got really pushed this morning: we did a maths challenge with the kids at w*rk frequency plotting of the different flavours in their own packet of Revels Several of them refused to eat any, so I, also trying not to eat any, was cutting them in half to check the fillings so they could tally the results and passing the mangled remains to the co-w*rkers who were quite happy eating chocolate. It's a very subtle colour difference between the coffee and orange filling but they cut in half easier than the caramel did!

[extra morning]

[ 25. February 2008, 20:40: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having set myself some reading for Lent, and some other stuff that's not entirely relevant, I find myself in the somewhat difficult decision of having a significant downsurge in depression. This has made it almost impossible to concentrate enough to read anything and take it in. I'm trying very hard not to see this as me 'failing Lent' or being sinful which are both things that when I'm low I'm fairly liable to do. I also have to go to confession which will be a bit of a nightmare and a long drawn out process because at the moment I believe I'm the epitome of all evil. Perspective loss is fun. [Roll Eyes]

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could claw back some of my Lenten observance so I can keep the concept going but without it turning into the slough of despond at my inabilities?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
claudine
Shipmate
# 12441

- Posted      Profile for claudine   Email claudine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
chive,

Bearing in mind that: I don't know what your experience of depression is like; and I am not currently depressed; and if I were, I probably wouldn't follow my own advice...

I would suggest trying to allow yourself to put your Lenten discipline on hold for a while. It sounds as if you're getting caught in a trap where whatever you do or don't do, you will find a reason for beating yourself up. That is not going to bring you closer to God.

I often find that I need to learn to do less rather than more, and I think some of the other posts in this thread echo that. Think of Jesus going into the desert, not preaching, or reading, or taking study groups, but just being alone and quiet. Focus not on doing, but on being.

Posts: 355 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia - sorry, I didn't get a chance to pray for you before you went away (coz I've only just discovered this thread) but you were so brave to go and trust... I do hope you're having time to reflect now, praying for this. [Votive]

Chive - I don't know if this will help but years ago I went through a very bad time when any thought of 'doing' things in life was too much. Now I try to look at that period as being my own time in the Wilderness and although I don't remember it, I now believe very deeply that Jesus was walking with me in my big hour of need... and that he eventually led me (without me knowing) out of that time too. [Votive]

Looking back, it was a strangely very special time. (I am reminded of the footsteps in the sand poem - don't know if anyone has it to hand?)

To everyone else who has posted here, may your Lenten journey be one of truth and healing [Votive]

Harmony Hope

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Footsteps in the sand.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Auntenreith Road, I had forgotten just how beautiful that poem is.

Harmony Hope

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

I like this version better. [Two face]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by chive:

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could claw back some of my Lenten observance so I can keep the concept going but without it turning into the slough of despond at my inabilities?

Hi Chive,

first of all, I agree with those who've said "Go easy on yourself!" I know that's hard to do, but think of it like a physical illness- I hope you wouldn't beat yourself up for not observing spiritual practices if you were flat on your back with the 'flu, for example.

Another thought I had was if reading's too hard, what about listening? Some nice music or an audio book?

May God bless you this Lent. [Votive]

EJ

Churchy LaFemme
Shipmate
# 11884

- Posted      Profile for Churchy LaFemme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chive, I'm also having problems with depression this Lent. Lent is usually a great time of spiritual renewal, but this time it's just not happening. I'm trying to just sit in front of my home altar every day for fifteen minutes, even if I can't do what I would call prayer. I don't know if this is right for you though, and I would echo other posters' advice to go easy on yourself.

I was cheered a little by reading Jeremiah 17:8, about the person who trusts in the Lord being like a tree planted by the water which has no worries in the year of drought, and never fails to bear fruit. This is my year of drought, but I have to have faith that it will bear fruit.

--------------------
Bear and forbear (for a total of five bears).

Posts: 147 | From: Facing the sun | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
WatersOfBabylon
Shipmate
# 11893

- Posted      Profile for WatersOfBabylon   Email WatersOfBabylon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from Forgiveness Sunday services! (The official kick-off of Orthodox Lent.) I did enough prostrations to work off the annual Cheesefare ice-cream gorge. I have until midnight to finish off the rest of my milk jug, though.
Posts: 515 | From: I'm a nomad. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016