homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Sir Patrick Moore RIP

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Sir Patrick Moore RIP
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just seen this: Sir Patrick Moore has died today aged 89.
And I thought heaven was an appropriate place for all of our memories of him....

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
I have just seen this: Sir Patrick Moore has died today aged 89.
And I thought heaven was an appropriate place for all of our memories of him....

I thought of Sir Patrick this morning when I heard someone mention that forty years ago Apollo 17, the last moon landing mission, was on its way to the moon.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're a little too frivolous...

All Saints is our usual gaff. Posting you there now.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to watch The Sky at Night a lot when I was younger and really into astronomy.

How sad. RIP Sir Patrick, among the stars [Votive] .

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sky At Night was always way past my bedtime but even then I absorbed some of the Moore magic.

Tonight we went out with the binos, found somewhere I could prop them firmly on, and ogled the Galilean moons of Jupiter (brightest light in the Eastern sky, unless you live west of an all-night garage). I've not seen them since a schoolmate showed me them through his telescope back when God was a boy, but tonight there they were, showing off in tribute to Sir Patrick.

RIP, and may you love the celestial harmonies as much from your place amongst the spheres as you did on this sphere.

AG

[ 09. December 2012, 17:46: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the first ever "Sky at Night", thought, "that's a good idea!" Little did I know.

R.I.P Sir P.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in the astronomy society at Newcastle University a few decades back, we invited him several times to come and do a guest lecture. He always declined, with elegant and gentlemanly excuses, that in retrospect probably meant "have you any idea how far north you people are?!"

I remember his excellent, enthusiastic tv presence during the Moon landings. They really don't make 'em like him any more.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you weren't there at the time its impossible to describe how important Patrick Moore was to curious English kids growing up in the 1960s. And The Sky at Night was and is arguably the greatest popular science programme on TV. May you rest in peace and rise in glory, you curmudgeonly old right-wing scientific hero. And may your telescopes ever shine. Even if you told me bollocks when I met you on a radio show when I was twelve. I'm gutted. I somehow hoped you'd make it.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shit. I'm genuinely upset. I know people die every day. I know famous people die every day. And its always a tragedy when anyone dies. But this hurts a little. Even though he's been seriously ill for decades and was very old and it was obviously about to happen. Which is egotistical really because he was part of the formation of my mind. That sounds more pompous than I meant. I think I know what I mean.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw him on TV a couple of times when I was young, I'm not sure if they showed his program on Dutch television or if it was on BBC.

Respect for this man. Rest in peace.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aggie
Ship's cat
# 4385

- Posted      Profile for Aggie   Email Aggie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP Sir Patrick [Votive]

--------------------
“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.”
(Joseph Mary Plunkett 1887-1917)

Posts: 581 | From: A crazy, crazy world | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP indeed. A great scientific character. Not many in that mold left, alas...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016