homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » English Spoken Here: 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: English Spoken Here: 2013
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The thread for those in the British Isles, and beyond the seas, and indeed anybody...

Firenze
Inclusive All Saints Host

[ 13. February 2013, 07:27: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm gonna hang out here until the colonies have officially seceded. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All this talk of new threads reminded me I needed to do something about my dilapidated sewing box... so, the contents of the 25 year old chocolate box, have been transferred to a new biscuit tin.

No, I've still not done the sewing that needs doing, but I have a splendidly tidy box now.

Happy New Year [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very wise. This whole independence thing could well fizzle out.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year! [Big Grin]

I, too, have a brand new biscuit tin and an overflowing sewing basket that needs tidying. The only snag is that I'll need to eat up the biscuits first.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd eaten the biscuits.

This gave me incentive to finish them.. though, I may need a label on the tin to remind me there are no biscuits there.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something of a tragedy to go to a biscuit tin expecting a swift (if illicit) snack and find only the indigestible ... [Snigger]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
Something of a tragedy to go to a biscuit tin expecting a swift (if illicit) snack and find only the indigestible ... [Snigger]

Particularly had they been digestive biscuits.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We drove to Mass last night only to find the church all closed up and no preparations or anything so we contemplated going to another church but eventually just came home and went to bed instead - and I'm still tired now!

Frankly I wonder about all the fuss as we change from one arbitrary time period to the next, surely it's just another day.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
... transferred to a new biscuit tin ...

Do you need any more? I discovered four Quality Street tins and two Other tins when clearing a set of shelves we're ditching ...

Just back from taking in the New Year with friends from the choir - jolly evening had by all.

Happy New Year to all my chums Over There (and in Wodders' case, Really Far Over There).

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Turned on my mobile phone last night just after midnight to find it had reset itself to 1980 and lost connectivity. Half a searing hour later it was sorted out, but by that time I had the beginnings of what felt like a migraine and the fireworks were going off.

Looked out of the window to see my neighbours setting light to a huge Chinese lantern in the car park, which drifted erratically just over the roofs of the parked cars, threatening to settle. However it gained height and drifted off in the vicinity of the railway station - there are fields around there - a beautiful burning light in the sky, but so dangerous for anything underneath.

Dawn now - you can already see that the nights are shorter, and believe that spring will come; the sky is already paling. The stars are still out and it looks like clear skies so far. The birds are alive and very vocal, next door's cat is exploring the car park, and the world is still. Happy New Year!

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, Wodders! Just another day. In Canada, it is the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, one of only two Holy Days of Obligation in Canada (The other being Christmas*). So an almost full set of masses, starting with last evening. I'll be off to the 9 am Mass in a few hours.

Greetings to ex-pats and pats. And Maureens too! [Biased]

*I think they've forgotten Easter. [Frown]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year all!

There is something pale and yellow in the sky, so I'll take that as an omen for better weather this year.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year to all!

I don't post that often on this thread, but I enjoy everyone's witty/erudite/informative/just plain daft comments. So thank you all for sailing with me on this Ship of Fools!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year from the soggy South-West coast of England. Although today looks to be quite - dare I say it? - DRY! Thank You, Lord, after the continual depressing grey soaking we've had for the past weeks. I'm actually sitting in our living room without having to put the lights on! [Yipee]

[ 01. January 2013, 08:44: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Not that inclusive, given the implied moratorium on Welsh and Gaelic speakers. [Razz]

Bliadhna mhath ůr!

Blwyddyn newydd dda!

[ 01. January 2013, 08:52: Message edited by: Arethosemyfeet ]

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year, from the soft embrace of my beloved duvet (start the year as you mean to go on, I say!). Thinking about a trip to the Natural History Museum today if the boy wakes in time. His bedroom window and vent is right next to the noisiest part of the pub so I'm not banking on him waking early this morning.

Wodders, I tend to agree with you about the arbitrariness (is that a word, and if so, did I spell it correctly, I wonder?) of the new year. (Now there's a start to the year which won't continue long, me agreeing with Wodders!). But it is a good excuse for having a quick audit of your hopes and dreams for the months to come.

Mine are to get a new job, preferably earning a bit more to make month-end slightly less stressful; to have a holiday seeing as for a long time we haven't managed a proper one which was not based around visiting people and either staying in their homes or *shudder under canvas; and to get my Smudgelet sorted with his college plans for next year (how can he possibly be that old?). And definitely I am intent on being more sociable this year - there are far too many people on my "must get together for coffee sometime" list.

So, my friends, while we can't in all honesty expect a completely good and trouble-free year any more than we can expect sun every day (with the exception of smug ex-pats), here's to some excellent moments for each one of us in 2013 [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

Not that inclusive, given the implied moratorium on Welsh and Gaelic speakers. [Razz]

Bliadhna mhath ůr!

Blwyddyn newydd dda!

Translate please.

PeteC
Soon to ex-temporary All Saints Host

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

Bliadhna mhath ůr!

Blwyddyn newydd dda!

Translate please.

PeteC
Soon to ex-temporary All Saints Host

"Happy new year" in Scottish Gaelic and Welsh.

Have we no Irish Gaelic speakers? Last time I looked the north was still part of the UK.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I speak some Irish Gaelic, as first learnt in Dublin. It's quite rusty now and I couldn't tell you how to say Happy New Year in Irish without googling it.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A gloriously sunny new year here in Cambridge. We might even get to go on a family walk at this rate.
Last year was the year I kick started my life, after years of mild depression and apathy. We decluttered and tidied and then hosted our first dinner party for 8 years! This year I want to build on that, to make a home sociable again and build lasting friendships.
Oh, and I need to lose some weight. luckily I prefer tins of buttons to biscuits any day.
What plans do people have for the day?

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My plans are:
- Write birthdays and appointments in this year's diaries.
- At 12:30, collect Mother and bring her over for a roast beef dinner, followed by one of Mr Bug's homemade Christmas Puddings (he's cooking and I'm on preparing veggies and washing-up duty).
- At approx 3:30, Father-in-Law will arrive and he and Mr Bug will disappear to The Football (it's on Sky, hence the late match start). I'm hoping to find a nice film for me and another to fall asleep in front of, after they've gone!
- Then this evening a friend has promised to ring, to arrange a day out at the sales tomorrow.

And my New Year's Resolution is to start proof-reading posts, so that I don't have to keep editing!

[ 01. January 2013, 10:26: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Plans for the day seem to have gone out of the window. We had bought tickets to see The Hobbit at one of the local cinemas - tickets that are going to go to waste by all appearances. Thanks to a wrenched knee (fall on Boxing Day evening; MS makes such things very easy, no alcohol involved) St Gwladys can barely walk and I have contracted some delightful stomach bug, making it advisable to have a very short run to the toilet. I don't think that Showcase Cinema in Nantgarw is going to see us this afternoon. [Frown]

Oh well - Happy New Year, anyway!

And, just as a thought, didn't the Roman Republic calculate its year from the beginning of March?

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year! Having just started off the 2nd diswasher load of the day, following last night's festivities, I plan to hurtle into the sunshine in my little red fun machine & get the engine ticking over - opportunities for winter jaunts are few and far between because I'd rather not put the roof up.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praying for a quick and smooth recovery for those in need.
I've just made a chicken and ham Wellington for lunch, using up some chicken fillets, ham and the remainders of some venison terrine for the filling, with red currant jelly and salad leaves thrown in for colour. Other half popped to B&Q ages ago and I suspect is enjoying some peace and quiet somewhere.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year! I spent a happy 6 weeks in Autumn with a Welsh speaker, it took me a while to work out that English was her second language cos she was so bloody good at it - when she called her family she spoke Welsh.

I don't think there was any reference in the OP to banning the bilingual, was there? So anyone who can understand and write English is welcome.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
... transferred to a new biscuit tin ...

Do you need any more? I discovered four Quality Street tins and two Other tins when clearing a set of shelves we're ditching ...

Actually, the set of shelves would be more useful, thank you piglet.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't got a paper diary this year, last year's was not used beyond April. Instead I'm using Google's diary, which can be read and updated from computers or smart phone just about anywhere. Far more convenient than paper diaries which need updating every year.

I'm watching the Vienna Philharmonic's New Year's Concert on TV, later there's Jools Holland's Hootenanny to catch up on iPlayer. New Year's Day is about music.

I might venture out in the sunshine somewhere between.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year everyone. One new year's resolution is Boeing more sociable, starting with contributing to this thread more often.

It's great to see some sunshine for once.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Book group are meeting at our place next week, which solves the biscuit eating problem, if I can resist temptation until then, that is.

Biscuit tins are multifunctional round here. I use a couple of Christmas themed ones for storage of our Christmas music CDs.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year All!

I'm thrilled to see the sun today after (as mentioned upthread) weeks of rain. Whatever I do today has to involve some basking face up to it as I soak in Vit D.

What a year that was! Moved countries, new jobs, flat, friends, church... a bit more travel in Europe and lots of zipping about the South-ish areas of England (and a bit of Wales).

Don't know how we can top that this year... maybe a bit of solidifying and settling in. (Plus a bit more travel).

Cheers,
EJ

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
One new year's resolution is Boeing more sociable, starting with contributing to this thread more often.

Can we expect some plane speaking from you then? [Biased]

Happy New Year to you too and welcome aboard this thread!

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't often post on this thread, as it grows too quickly for me to keep up with, but I'm just popping in to say Happy New Year to all.

When did we start having fireworks for New Year? I only recall it in, say, the last 20 years or so (I don't recall it when we moved into this house, which was 25 years ago later this year).

When I was a child, everyone ran into the street and made lots of noise - which usually meant banging dustbin lids together. I suppose no-one has metal dustbins any more. And lids don't come off wheely bins, of course.

I was bell ringing at midnight, which is always fun, although it never feels as though it's going to be.

And on Sunday, Macarius and I went to see Matthew Bourne's 'Sleeping Beauty' at Sadlers Wells, which has to be just about the most wonderful thing I have ever seen anywhere (just wanted to tell someone how wonderful it was!)

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Matthew Bourne is a genius! I love his work, plain brilliant!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

Ah, bliss! A post-prandial cup of tea and Mary Poppins. All together now, 'Oh, it's a jorly orliday with Mary'.... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm rather pleased to say that I have never seen that movie all the way through.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

originally posted by Welease Woderwick

movie

English spoken here

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some of you have got sun? [Eek!]

Nothing like that here. Its not exactly wet, in that it isn't actually coming down, but it is very wet underfoot (and paw) and decidedly damp in the air.

However, its 2013, the world is still with us, so Happy New Year, everyone!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
quote:

movie

English spoken here
You tell 'im, Moonie!

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As Darllenwr said, we were going to see The Hobbit - it's become a New Year's Day tradition to go to the cinema. At least the cinema involved has agreed to delay our tickets, so we should be able to see it latyer in the week when we're both feeling better.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
quote:

movie

English spoken here
You tell 'im, Moonie!
I offer a completely and utterly abject apology [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Smudgelet and I did Wisley this afternoon. It was a beautiful day, although that didn't stop the boy complaining about the cold of course. The gardens are fascinating in the winter and it was lovely to see the first signs of spring peeping through. Of course, the glasshouse was in full flower - much to the Smudgelet's disgust as we hadn't thought to take any antihistamine for his outrageous hayfever.

I like having a son who likes photography. It means he still enjoys accompanying me on trips out which most teenage boys would grump about!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
West Kirby* is the most wonderful place to blow last year's cobwebs out of the way (and get rid of a hangover, should one have one.) There is a pedestrian walkway between the marine lake and the sea, and from the beach it looks as if people are walking on water. Welsh hills in the background, blustery wind and plenty of sun: what's not to like?

*on the Wirral, twixt Mersey and Dee.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

We took a stroll to the little local nature reserve where we played pooh sticks and my 8 year old discussed 'Boggles' (little folk who live in bogs). We even found a Boggle nest [Smile] .

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year from Hampshire, where the sun came out for a day! Another bell ringer here; we rang the old year out, drank champagne, then rang the new year in. The second touch was better than the first. Funny, that [Snigger] .

Today, friends motivated me to go out for a long muddy but sunny walk.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We walked to Stirling Castle and went to a concert (folk music) in the Chapel Royal. The sky was a really deep blue and the colours were just fantastic. Once the sun started going down it did get really quite chilly though.

Happy new year folks!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
... There is something pale and yellow in the sky ...

In Boogieland? Are you sure? [Big Grin]
quote:
Actually, the set of shelves would be more useful, thank you piglet.

If you can get them over the Pond, you're welcome! [Devil]

I've had a very lazy day so far; got up late morning to watch the Top Gear India special*, which hadn't been shown here before (and featured an Austin Allegro exactly the same as the one D. had when I fell for him [Big Grin] )

I'm now messing about here while waiting to go to friends for Roast Beef And All The Trimmings™.

One day I might stop eating ...

* Blimey, what an amazing country! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
As Darllenwr said, we were going to see The Hobbit - it's become a New Year's Day tradition to go to the cinema. At least the cinema involved has agreed to delay our tickets, so we should be able to see it latyer in the week when we're both feeling better.

Sorry to hear about your dismal start to the new year - but that's great that you haven't lost out on your cinema tickets after all. Hope you enjoy the film when you do get to see it.

A few centuries ago when I was at school, as a special treat on Friday afternoons, one of the nuns would read a chapter of The Hobbit to us. You could have heard a pin drop as the adventures of Bilbo unfolded. I asked my mother for a copy for my birthday. Of course, it spoilt the surprise of having it read in instalments, but it was a great read. I got very into learning to write in runes, as well.

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

[Roll Eyes] What's a little inconvenience like the Pond to a resourceful piglet, I ask myself?

Ah well, I shall contemplate the issue of shelving another day.

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

As a matter of interest, Ariel, did you succumb to Tolkein scripts as I and a number of friends did? Like most, I started with the (Norse) runes used in The Hobbit, but then I progressed to Tolkein's own runes (appendix F of The Return of the King) and then to the Feanorian letters from the same source. These last took rather more working out, but a number of us took to using them to scrawl gafiti on various blackboards throughout our school, comfortable in the knowledge that only those 'in the know' (not including any of the Teachers, obviously) could read what had been written very publicly.

It was all rather sad, really ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016