homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Name That Baby (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Name That Baby
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There probably isn't anyone this side of Mars who doesn't already know, but just in case, it was announced yesterday that Prince William and his wife Kate are expecting their first child, who will be third in line to the throne when born.

Any suggestions for names?

(And anyone suggesting "Helix Shatterproof, as a great name for a little ruler", will be sent to the Tower - it's been done half a billion times on Twitter, social media, the radio, etc, already.)

So - other than that, fire away. Sensible or frivolous, suggestions for the new royal baby's name?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's a girl, given her place in the queue, and the Bowes-Lyon gene for longevity, it 's possibly not that important to have a name that sounds good with 'Queen' in front of it. Or King, of course.

So Dakota or Nate it is then.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too easy. If it's a boy, King. If it's a girl, Queen. In the odd chance the little dear ascends to the throne, the announcers could all sound like Max Headroom - "Presenting Her Majesty, Queen Queen!" etc.

And with the low-hanging fruit in my basket, I'll get my coat and head for the door quickly...

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ghengis Sinbad Turnip if it's a boy.

Ghengisia Sinbadia Turnipia if it's a girl.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just looked at the last posts and saw this read: "Name that baby Tom of Tarsus"...

As alternatives, I'm thinking either Augustus Spongebob Octavian Norbert, or else Alice Bryony Cartimandua Dawn.

Or George. I bet that'll be in there in some shape or form.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They should stick with the classics: Luke or Leia.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This useful page gives you a choice of baby name based on the baby's future career. It doesn't actually have a button for 'Royalty' - but you could go for Celebrity, in which case we're looking at Antonio or Demi.

I note btw that 'Ariel' makes it into Future Televangelist.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's little doubt it'll ascend to the throne. Probably have to wait 70 years, but it'll get there.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the baby is born, don't forget that it will be a royal prince(ss) of Cambridge

My bet, then is Prince Adolphus Philip George Charles of Cambridge

For a girl:

Princess Mary Augusta Frances of Cambridge.

Of course, if Brenda pops her clogs before then, the baby will be ... of Cornwall and Cambridge (The Cornwall title is the senior dukedom and is always given to the heir to the throne). Equally if Chuck is king, he might have already created Wills the Prince of Wales, in which case the kid will be ... of Wales.

My brain just exploded. More later.

[ 04. December 2012, 22:19: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's time we had some fresh names in the royal line, so Tracey or Wayne.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unique if it's a girl, Euphonious if it's boy.
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they have twin girls, they can borrow the two names I've stored up for years in the event of such an ... um ... event.

Adiaphora and Ephemera.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
PeteC: My brain just exploded.
I'll get the mop.

In other news, what's wrong with Apple or Lourdes or Moon Unit or Peaches, I'd like to know?

Alternatively, and in keeping with the "celebrity" suggestions, how about Willate? Kalliam? Katiam? Wate? Watherine? Cathiam? &c...

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
When the baby is born, don't forget that it will be a royal prince(ss) of Cambridge ...

Are you sure? Weren't William and Harry "Prince William of Wales" and "Prince Henry of Wales" right from the start?

FWIW (not much) I reckon a combination of Victoria, Elizabeth and possibly Diana for a girl and Charles, George, William or Philip if it's a boy.

If they were being imaginative about it and wanted to honour Phil the Greek (and why not?), Philippa has regal precedents, and Queen Philippa might be more comfortable to Brits than King Philip (kings called Philip haven't always been our best chums ...)

According to the Torygraph, the bookies have even given odds (500/1 IIRC) of the poor wee blighter being called Wayne or Chardonnay ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aethelfrith or Frideswide. I'm sure the BNP would endorse such traditional Anglo-Saxon suggestions.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At present the name most on the Duchess of Cambridge's mind is probably 'Armitage Shanks', which has a pleasant sound to it.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely better than Prince Harpic or Princess Wachunda.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
piglet dear, Wills and Harry were "of Wales" from the start because Papa was already Prince of Wales.

When Charles was born, back in the mists of time, he was officially Prince Charles of Edinburgh. On February 7th, 1952, he became Prince Charles, Duke of Cornwall and a whole slew of Scottish titles due to his status as the Sovereign's eldest son. A sovereign's children, otherwise are Princes and Princes of nothing.

William was "of Wales" until he married, when he was created Duke of Cambridge. Thus, Prince Lloyd and Princess Ermyntrude of Cambridge.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ethelred.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
King/ Queen Chunder IV (play on numerals and intravenous, geddit?). Also sounds vaguely South Asian to the ignorant (ie: most of us) so can pretend it's 'ethnic'.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ethelred.

I wasn't ready for that [Killing me]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ralph (as that's what she'll be saying on the porcelain phone)? Hyperemesis if a boy and Gravidia if a girl.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some veiled reference should be made to Kate's affliction - eg. Luke (rhymning word) or Jessica (hidden word).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boadicea? Arthur? Henry VIII's elder brother was called Arthur...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
quote:

Ethelred.

I wasn't ready for that [Killing me]
GROAN!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

Not a good example unfortunately - both Arthur, PoW and Arthur of Brittany came to premature ends. Similarly, John is not good for English or French kings.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chantelle
Charmaigne
Roxy

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Chantelle
Charmaigne
Roxy

Yes, but what if it's a girl?
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
There probably isn't anyone this side of Mars who doesn't already know, but just in case, it was announced yesterday that Prince William and his wife Kate are expecting their first child, who will be third in line to the throne when born.

Wow, really? Good for them [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy: Billy Bob.
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Then Mary Lou for a girl.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prince: Edward Cullen
Princess: Isabella Swan

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Boy: Harry Potter

Girl: Hermione Granger

--------------------

Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh what about Richard? The previous Richard has had the business about ordering the deaths of the 'Princes in the Tower' debunked by some historians and writers* and his body has possibly recently been discovered under that car park in Leicester, so there is current interest.

I think Charlotte would be nice for a girl; Queen Charlotte was the wife of George III and it would also reference Prince Charles.

Of course the Anglo-Saxon monarch list does include Canute, sometimes spelled 'Cnut'. [Roll Eyes]

*See the Richard III Society, also 'Royal Blood' by Bertram Fields and 'The Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey.

[ 05. December 2012, 15:36: Message edited by: Huntress ]

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

All Kings Richard met violent deaths no perhaps not so good although I take your point re current interest.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy: Madoc.
Girl: Myfanwy.

You want Welsh, I'll give you Welsh.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eleanor might be good, it has a royal background and is becoming fashionable again (at least in middle class Cambridge circles). And it is of Greek origin [Smile]
Cambridge name? Gonville Caius.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Philippa sounds good to me too - presumably Pippa is short for Philippa? Eleanor is also pretty and royal.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

William's full name is William Arthur Philip Louis. His father's is Charles Philip Arthur George. So I wouldn't be shocked if Arthur was in there somewhere.
quote:
Originally posted by Huntress:
Of course the Anglo-Saxon monarch list does include Canute, sometimes spelled 'Cnut'. [Roll Eyes]

I was going to suggest Harthacnut but you sort of beat me to it.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or to quote '1066 and all that'; Canute, Halfacanute, Partacanute, Rathacanute and Hardlicanute. Perhaps we should have some Egg-Kings too [Smile]
(This will all be meaningless to anyone not familiar with '1066')

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Not a good example unfortunately - both Arthur, PoW and Arthur of Brittany came to premature ends. Similarly, John is not good for English or French kings.

They haven't used John since the days of Evil King John, after which it was agreed there would never be another. The Arthurs never become king.

I'd say George, Philip and Charles are all possibles for a boy; Diana, Elizabeth or Victoria for a girl. I'm guessing William will want at least one of his mother's names in there if it's a girl: the other was Frances.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cambridge names: Radegund and Etheldreda, if she's a girl. Robinson if he's a little lad.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone at work said "Ooh, they should call her Regina, because the Queen's middle name is Regina"

Cue odd looks...

"You know, Elizabeth Regina!"

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's actually Elizabeth Regina Destiny Scarlett Lorelei Twyla-Fay. I happen to know.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
At present the name most on the Duchess of Cambridge's mind is probably 'Armitage Shanks', which has a pleasant sound to it.

Who is Armitage and what is shanking?

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I note btw that 'Ariel' makes it into Future Televangelist.

Lawd bless you, Sister Fizzy.
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:

Who is Armitage and what is shanking?
Ariel - I know that you may be ironically asking your question, but also that you may be genuinely asking it, so, if the latter: Armitage Shanks is a well-known (relatively, in the UK) maker of bathroom furniture i.e. toilets. My better half remembers that at his all-boys school it was known as 'Armitage Shanks, the name to *aim* for'.

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sleepwalker
Shipmate
# 15343

- Posted      Profile for Sleepwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(And anyone suggesting "Helix Shatterproof, as a great name for a little ruler", will be sent to the Tower - it's been done half a billion times on Twitter, social media, the radio, etc, already.)

Aww ..... How about Legoland then? (That's another one pinched from Twitter)
Posts: 267 | From: somewhere other than here | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sleepwalker
Shipmate
# 15343

- Posted      Profile for Sleepwalker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
When the baby is born, don't forget that it will be a royal prince(ss) of Cambridge

Apparently not.

Queenie will have to decide on that.

Posts: 267 | From: somewhere other than here | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Huntress:
Ariel - I know that you may be ironically asking your question, but also that you may be genuinely asking it,

No, I was just teasing. But thank you anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Sleepwalker:
Aww ..... How about Legoland then? (That's another one pinched from Twitter)

Oh yes - I forgot about that one. To the Tower! [Devil]
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canute would be very appropriate in the era of climate change. Maybe Gaia for a daughter.

(Worth breaking with tradition and not giving them a football team's worth of names too, I think.)

[ 05. December 2012, 20:25: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016