homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Ship meet for prime numbered members (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Ship meet for prime numbered members
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ship meets are all very well but what about those excluded by the accident of geography? This thread is now proposed as an exclusive zone for those privileged people, through happy accident of registration, are forever blessed with a prime member number. Incredibly… I'm included! What's the chances of that eh?

(And the numerical outcasts who are soulfully tugging at they keyboard, longing to join in but having to settle for a New York meet or a North Yorkshire meet or whatever… don't even think about starting counter threads. Have you any idea how sad that would look?).

So WELCOME TO THE PARTY all you prime numbers out there, come on in and we'll celebrate in a nondivisible fashion. For a start, we'll have no cutting of the cake.

love clare

[ 10. March 2003, 02:14: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
smatt
Shipmate
# 103

- Posted      Profile for smatt     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what a great idea Clare

I'd love to second it, but that would be wholly inappropriate

smatt

Posts: 118 | From: UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
smatt
Shipmate
# 103

- Posted      Profile for smatt     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh dear, just realised that 2 is a prime number too...

luv
smatt

hangs head in shame and tries to hide in a corner not catching shipmate 2's eye

Sean
Shipmate
# 51

- Posted      Profile for Sean   Author's homepage   Email Sean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we bring wives, fiancees, whatever who aren't prime numbered?

--------------------
"So far as the theories of mathematics are about reality, they are not certain; so far as they are certain, they are not about reality" - Einstein

Posts: 1085 | From: A very long way away | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
certainly not.

But, to be brutel Sean, that's not a problem for you. Divide yourself by three dear, and go and join your loved ones outside the cordon.

Goodbye.

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel that I should be able to join as I am the product of two prime numbers! 2 and 17.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

darling, thats not the point of prime numbers now is it? you know that. now, be off with you.

clare

And, well, we've got a party of two now... hello smatt. indeed, you could second and third my proposal if you so wished. but i'd start on the grub before the others get here. Fancy a whole melon?

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
511 IS a prime number, isn't it?

(If it is, glad to be aboard!)

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about if I offer to cook?

I have been pracising my cooking in preparation for the SoF St Simeon's weekend.

I do a fantastic line in orange glazed chicken. May I tempt you?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm not that bad at cooking you know. Do we need an outcast to cook?

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smatt:
oh dear, just realised that 2 is a prime number too...

luv
smatt

hangs head in shame and tries to hide in a corner not catching shipmate 2's eye

Too late.

Oh, and I am from the South, with French and Italian roots, not-too-recently divorced from a Cajun. I can cook just about anything under the sun. We have no need for non-prime interlopers here.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

exactly. we have all the cooking talents we need assembled right here babybear. now shooo... go and discuss litergy or something useful while we get on with the business of making merry.

Also Alaric the Goth... of you go as well. I've no idea what 511 is divisable by, but it's certainly Not an authorised prime number. Nice try though. Almost had me fooled.

BTW. we're looking at a total of 114 party goers as the crew currently stands. Possibly the largest meet ever!

clare

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
7x73=511

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
511 is a product of 7x73. Now if we didn't let babybear use the Babybear Exclusion, what makes you think we'll let you?

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
17x3 = 51....

And I'm excluded too

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To bb, Sean, angel, Alaric and other excluded members,

These Prime Types have absolutely no concept of sharing. I can see them now, each jealously guarding the item they brought with them. We shall just have to hope, for the reputation of the ship, that the rum isn't brought in a cask.

love 2x47

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sean
Shipmate
# 51

- Posted      Profile for Sean   Author's homepage   Email Sean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clare:
certainly not.

But, to be brutel Sean, that's not a problem for you. Divide yourself by three dear, and go and join your loved ones outside the cordon.

Goodbye.

Sprung

--------------------
"So far as the theories of mathematics are about reality, they are not certain; so far as they are certain, they are not about reality" - Einstein

Posts: 1085 | From: A very long way away | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would someone please tell me if 107 is a prime number? I think it is, but I'm not sure.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
smatt
Shipmate
# 103

hi moo - yes come in and join the party

yours indivisibly
smatt

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

Yes Moo it is! You are our greatest prime number so far... though there are plenty more to come so enjoy this honour while it lasts. Welcome to the party! how nice to be at a meet with you at last.

Amazing, isn't it, how the non prime shipmates are so blatently jealous that, despite having a total of 317 other threads on the ship they could post on they can't bear not to post on this one!

bring on the southern/Itlaian/French/Scottish/cajian cooking!

love clare

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

do we have to work out a menu which doesn't involve cutting anything?

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

And the lesser, pretender threads have already begun. Tsk tsk.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

since they've invaded our thread. should we return the compliment, or is that just far to petty?

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

I'm debating. I mean, it would certainly serve them right, but why taint ourselves?

--------------------

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

Why would we want to go to their party? I don't really understand the concept. The original and the best.

Now, with regard to the menu. What do you think is an appropriate challenge? Indeed, i agree no cutting (though could we cut if we were not concerned with dividing into equal amounts?). what about scooping, which doesn't include positive integers? And do yu think we could eat a buch of grapes between us as long as the number of grapes was equal to the number of party goers?

clare

Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a mathmatician, this is one party I have to join.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TJ
Apprentice
# 589

- Posted      Profile for TJ   Email TJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having finally managed to re-register on the new boards (did anyone miss me?!) I find myself terribly confused... is the only way to determine my member number by posting a message? I can't find it anywhere else... so as yet I can't figure out if I'm allowed to join the party. But this post should quickly determine that!

TJ

Posts: 13 | From: Swansea, Wales | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TJ
Apprentice
# 589

- Posted      Profile for TJ   Email TJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
19x31

That's me excluded then!

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

As long as we can cut, just not in equal amounts, I'm safe. I never measure anything.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

the best way to cook. "that looks about right" measurements and "that should work" ingredients. Recipes are for the unadventurous.

--------------------

clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

tracy! didn't recognise you with just your initials! yes sorry love.. wah-wuh out of the game.. though i belive you'll be attending a geographically exclusive ship meet in the future.

you can check out your member number through clicking on "my profile". Checking whether it is a prime number requires a little more iniciative.

so, what ya cookin erin?

clare

TJ
Apprentice
# 589

Clare: 'you can check out your member number through clicking on "my profile". Checking whether it is a prime number requires a little more iniciative.'

Only after you've posted... as far as I could see!

andy d
Shipmate
# 452

- Posted      Profile for andy d   Email andy d   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wponder how long it will be before we get a member with number = to the largest known prime.

that is (2^6972593) - 1

there'll be more form the useless fact factory next week!

andy

--------------------
Let's just drive, until it gets us somewhere, even if it takes all night.
- All Star United

Posts: 159 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

yes, and on a different thread if you please! dear me, andy, so obviously a two divisible it's risible. don't think you can sneak on in just because you've got a cool band to quote on your sig.

clare

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

They want to be like us, Clare. Can you blame them?

As far as what's for supper... ummm, you have your pick: Cajun, Southern, Floribbean (Florida/Caribbean), Barbecue, Italian, French. What'll it be?

--------------------

marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please count me in. Check and see if you are on the A list by going here

Renee

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I'm late... have we worked out the refreshments yet?

Sieg

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's OK - I'm here now

Erin, now I would love you to cook - can I just ask that there is some not too spicey for me? I am a wimp when it comes to hot food.

Thanks m'dear

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Not too spicy, eh? Then it will be Southern. Hmmmm... how about:
  • cream of gazpacho soup (mild peppers, I promise)
  • real pit barbecue
  • coleslaw
  • potato salad
  • Brunswick stew
  • grilled corn on the cob
  • biscuits
  • cornbread
  • watermelon slices
  • caramel pecan ice cream over pound cake
  • red velvet cake (got to have some white trash cooking in there somewhere)
  • mint juleps
  • iced tea with mint
  • lemonade
(All made from scratch, of course.)

Should I put up the breakfast menu for tomorrow?

--------------------

Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh - this is toooo much.

Look, I know I'm divisible by lots of things, but couldn't I just come and help serve that food? The smell is infiltrating other threads and putting me off my - well -things

Please?

No?

OK then.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow - now I am hungry again, and there is no way I can be!

And Viola - nope! Bye

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mardy strop coming up...

It's my board too y'know. Why can't I come to any of the parties?

OK - mardy strop over (ish)

I'll just go & find my own little corner of heaven in one of the far distant mansions and pray for you all and your self seeking festivities of greed.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Okay, breakfast for tomorrow:
  • sausage and apples in maple syrup
  • grits and cheese casserole
  • more biscuits
  • cut up fresh fruit
  • blueberry pancakes
  • apple streusel muffins
  • fresh squeezed orange juice
  • coffee (for those of you who must -- ick)
  • hot tea
  • fruit smoothies for those of you who ate too much tonight

I think that's enough.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So happy to join the chosen few!

And so happy to see the spread. My word, Erin. Biscuits. Made by a southerner. Not to slight the rest of the menu, but home-made biscuits are to my mind evidence that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

What are your thoughts on catfish for breakfast? I used to frequent a wonderful diner owned/run by someone transplanted to California from the south -- they had fried catfish on the breakfast menu. Which seemed insane till I tried it. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. That and the red-eye gravy.

Of course now I'm having to do Weight Watchers due to my devotion to this sort of food!

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You forgot the Eggs Benedict and Champagne.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Ah yes, though you won't find either of those on a traditional Southern menu. And Ruth, I figured catfish would be too Southern. And I did forget the sausage gravy to go with the biscuits, too. If any of you are ever in Savannah, Clary's (which was in The Book, IIRC) has the world's best biscuits and gravy. Last time I was there that's what I got for breakfast. It was like $3 or so, so I'm thinking a couple of normal sized biscuits and gravy. Well. The bowl was as big as a large dinner plate, and about three inches deep. The THREE biscuits were as tall as the bowl was deep, and there was so much gravy that if they'd added one more molecule to the bowl it would have spilled over the side.

I licked the bowl clean and didn't eat for three days. But my God was it a slice of heaven on earth.

--------------------

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings, my people. Did you miss me?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

now this might be something for the cross-cultural lexicon, but it appear that Erin and Ruth are using the word "biscuit" in a way different from the UK usage. Over here what we call biscuits you'd call cookies, as we used to keep reminding an American colleague when he refered to biscuits as cookies (until he'd got used to it and used the UK terminology, at which point we brought out the cookies - does that seem mean?)

Anyway, what in the US is a biscuit? (the thought of cookies and gravy doesn't appeal)

Alan

BTW, Wood welcome to the party

--------------------

Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

(the thought of cookies and gravy doesn't appeal)

...but a lot of the other stuff on this menu does.

Erin,

As far as I am concerned it can be as spicy as you like, habanero chillis an' all.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Steve, I agree. That mouth watering list is enough to make any non-prime numbered member turn several shades of green with envy at the bountious fare brought to this party.

And I'm sure once I find out what an American biscuit is that'll also be a great tasting dish when served with gravy.

Alan

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016