homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Who is the sour mouthed COW who went to Colditz this year? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Who is the sour mouthed COW who went to Colditz this year?
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been on the ship for several years now, and this is the first time I have ever started a thread in hell, but I finally feel so moved...

It concerns the article on the ship this month about a "Colditz Christian summer camp"

My problem is not with the reviewer pointing out it's flaws, as a matter of fact, I agreed with serveral of them.

My problem is with the COMPLETE lack of any recognition of the positives, the wonderful teaching on social justice from Tony Campolo for example, (a kind of teaching which I'm sure the reviewer would agree is usually sadly lacking from evangelical conferences).

The author was going to the conference for the second time, so they must have seen something positive in it the first year.

So, would the accuser step forward, so I can give her a piece of my mind?!!

matt

{title changed}

[ 30. September 2005, 20:38: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get the impression you think you know who it is but aren't confident enough to name names, Matt.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sincerely, I have absolutely no idea who it is. I suspect what you mean is that my using "cow" in the title, implies I think it is sarkycow?

Actually, I don't, because Sarkycow's foul diatribes are usually witty and amusing, unlike this tirade of mediocrity currently on the front page of ship of fools.

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a good rundown of South Coast Christianity™ to me.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt did you attend? Did you get a Warrior Badge? Can I have it?

P

(who remembers who wrote last years)

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It brought a tear to my eye, it really did. Ah, such crap memories. And to tell the truth - she got it spot on.

I never got a Warrior badge. I think I did get a "God's Buddy" badge or some such nonsense once though.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pepper

Ship's doubloon
# 3895

- Posted      Profile for pepper   Email pepper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what badge did you get for going to the womens meetings, then, Chris?

[Razz]

Posts: 511 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She didn't sound sour-mouthed to me. Unrestful, certainly, but that's what the Ship is for, isn't it?

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

Pyx_e i've not seen last years? is it in an archive somewhere?

I didn't get a badge, coz I didn't go to the men's seminar.

Why? because I thought the men's and women's seminars sounded...to be honest..rather trite and cheesy.

But there were many alternatives. I went to excellent seminars on singing, prophecy, a bunch of stuff specially for students about practical things such as handling student debt...etc.

The main meeting speakers were superb. RT Kendall and Tony Campolo were great.

None of these things were commented on in this sour mouthed review. She admits her self that Tony Campolo is a "good speaker" so how come she had no point comments on the actual content of his seminars?

I do sympathise with some of her points, but her critisism would have had a lot more weight to it if it were positively counterbalanced. Instead she just comes across as a moody complaining bitch from start to finish.

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do sympathise with some of her points, but her critisism would have had a lot more weight to it if it were positively counterbalanced.
Yeah but it would not have been so funny. And hey call me a fool but I was reading more into it than perhaps I should. I was reading a metaphor for that type of spirituality. So not only was it funny it was poetic.

Why don't you write "good" review and post it on this thread? to act as a sort of counter balance. And give us all a laugh.

P

(damn should not have included that last sentence)

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt the Mad Medic:
she just comes across as a moody complaining bitch from start to finish.

matt

Matt, it is the mark of a good journalist that they can stamp their personality on their work so that the glint of their character comes shining through, whatever the dross of their subject matter is.

Sarky clearly has a great future in the media.

Now I am off to go find that article...

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

That last post was for those may still have been wondering who wrote the offending piece.

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry pyx_e (and Sarky) I thought that had already been elucidated. Of course I may very well have been mistaken, and I do not have any prior knowledge of the authorship of pieces in the magazine this week.

Any resemblance to any bovines, living, dead or downright insulting is purely accidental.

[I did try the edit function on the bit above, but I was just too late...]

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee, and I thought this was supposed to be a Christian Passive Agressive Bitch Website. Oh, it is. Never mind.

Oh dearie me! I meant to edit that, but....looks at watch....taps foot... [Snore] ....picks nose...checks watch again....OOPS! I just ran out time. I am soooo sorry.

3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:
Oh dearie me! I meant to edit that, but....looks at watch....taps foot... ....picks nose...checks watch again....OOPS! I just ran out time. I am soooo sorry.
Funniest thing I've seen on the boards for a while. Credit where it's due [Killing me]

What annoyed me about the article on "Colditz" is that it was so resolutely negative.

I agree with some of the critsism, but when singularly failing to make a single positive comment to balance it, it's rather annoying. An awful lot of people put an awful lot of work into things like "colditz" and an awful lot of people are blessed by it. I bet even sarky got something out of it.

"Pinky and Perky" incidently, are the vicar and music director of my church...I will be sure to bring this comparison to their attention. [Snigger]

By the way, can I just ask anyone with a spare five minutes to toddle over to www.mp3.com/matt_watts and tell me what they think of my musical offerings? Cheers.

--------------------
3M Matt.

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

I dunno, Sine, you were complaining I was too nice the other day...make up your mind sweeetie... [Razz]
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds,"
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
heh - read this thread, then *had* to read the article.

Its [Big Grin] great [Big Grin]

well done whoever wrote it! [Biased]

[ 28. October 2003, 21:28: Message edited by: TheGreenT ]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:

And is a foolish inconsistency the house elf of even littler ones?
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a parody, fa criminy sakes. I thought it was hilarious.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sincerest thanks to Matt for starting this thread - without which I possibly might not have read the article. It was fantastic. This thread should be on the throne of glory in heaven along with that article.

Sources close to the top make me believe there will be electronic tagging in heaven, and for the reporter to have had a foretaste - well i just hope I can spend one minute of my earthly existence just to be with someone who has been tagged in a Christian ghetto. What more could a good Christian girl aspire to?

My apologies to the hellhosts for the totally unhellish post. I have come over all fluffy by such depth in the writings of our dear, dear sister who took the time and effort to share her experience with us. I have so misted up.

Ronja
Shipmate
# 4693

- Posted      Profile for Ronja   Email Ronja   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The article was a good read. However, I find it hard to believe that Sarkycow is the one who wrote it. She would never have been so... nice ... to the men's seminar leader. I mean, she smiled at him sweetly at least twice!

(come to think of it, that IS very sarky...) [Paranoid]

Posts: 742 | From: Up North | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:

And is a foolish inconsistency the house elf of even littler ones?
Don't know, Hun. You'll have to ask Ralph Waldo Emerson. 'Course he's dead, but you might try a ouija board.
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way, can I just ask anyone with a spare five minutes to toddle over to www.mp3.com/matt_watts and tell me what they think of my musical offerings? Cheers.
Thanks for the link, Matt. I thoroughly enjoyed your music and lyrics. I especially enjoyed the music on "I Love You". I hope God continues to let you use your talents for Him.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarkycow stands up and takes a bow

Well, thanks for the kind words guys.

Matt, tell me, what does the concept of Christian satire mean to you? And unrest? I'd venture to suggest they aren't synonyms for 'uncritical positive review which papers over the cracks'. Simon appears to agree with me on this one [Biased]

Yes I caricatured some of what went on there, but not most of it. Most of what I wrote in the diary was spot on, deadly accurate reporting. I actually pulled some stuff because it was a little too cutting.

And I couldn't write about Tony Campolo because, as a woman, my seminars clashed with his [Biased]

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have missed this article completely - and it's hilarious! Thank you for pointing it out to me Matt.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarks, you really need to take more than one bow. Imagine! Proof that Shipmates read the front page of the Ship. And Respond.

Simon better send you chocolate.

Good article. I would have liked more detail.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's more to the Ship than the chatboards?? You mean those little buttons to the left actually work?
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the article is great, wonderfully unrestful stuff. Thanks Sarkycow.

It also very accurately reflects my own experience (many years ago, thank God) of a Christian prison camp – from the “So this is Colditz” feeling and barbed wire to the security tags and desperate need to escape. I didn’t have to sleep in a tent (what very wicked thing has Sarkycow done in a previous life to deserve that – twice), instead we got to air the damp and disgusting beds of a “holiday camp” at the start of the season.

One other difference was that I did get to see Tony Campolo – and what an appallingly manipulative, emotional and hypocritical event I found it. Perhaps Sarkycow could be grateful that she could run along to join the fairer sex and not have to worry her pretty little head about the men were hearing.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:
It also very accurately reflects my own experience (many years ago, thank God) of a Christian prison camp – from the “So this is Colditz” feeling and barbed wire to the security tags and desperate need to escape.
This is one thing in particular which seemed rather unfair in the colditz article. The camp organisers didn't put the Barbed wire there! That's a permenant fixture of the site where the conference is held.

quote:
One other difference was that I did get to see Tony Campolo – and what an appallingly manipulative, emotional and hypocritical event I found it.
Oh? Enlighten us further...

quote:
Matt, tell me, what does the concept of Christian satire mean to you? And unrest? I'd venture to suggest they aren't synonyms for 'uncritical positive review which papers over the cracks'. Simon appears to agree with me on this one
Yes, but when you whine about the car parking, next door neighbours waking you up...etc etc...the satirical effect is lost.

As I say, I agree with you, the comments about the Ra ra squad, Pinky and perky and the prosperity Gospel tripe were all perceptive and accurate.

However, the main point of such a meeting, (namely the teaching from RT Kendall and Tony Campolo) got no mention at all. Oh, and since you went to the MENS seminars instead of the womens, you would have been perfectly able to go to T.C. [Razz]

quote:
Thanks for the link, Matt. I thoroughly enjoyed your music and lyrics. I especially enjoyed the music on "I Love You". I hope God continues to let you use your talents for Him.
Thanks grits! Distinctly unhellish, but cheers [ [Smile] ]

matt

Yes I caricatured some of what went on there, but not most of it. Most of what I wrote in the diary was spot on, deadly accurate reporting. I actually pulled some stuff because it was a little too cutting.

Perhaps Sarkycow could be grateful that she could run along to join the fairer sex and not have to worry her pretty little head about the men were hearing.

--------------------
3M Matt.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
The camp organisers didn't put the Barbed wire there! That's a permenant fixture of the site where the conference is held.

Come on Matt they decided to hold the camp there. Upon hearing that there was barbed wire round the conference I decided it was to keep people out (not in). Congregationalism, gone mad.

Why not hold it at Glastonbury then everybody might try and break in.

P

--------------------

richt
Shipmate
# 4679

- Posted      Profile for richt   Email richt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great article Sarky and thanks Matt for pointing it out [Smile] . By the way, does the Colditz Christian Camp go by another name?

I don't think the purpose of the article was to be completely objective. It set out to be a parody, and I don't think it claims to be anything else. Certainlly I didn't read it and think that there mustn't have been any good things there - I read it and had a good laugh (well actually I just smiled a bit, but it amused me none the less).

Posts: 121 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

After listening to that, I had last night a dream that it was the last day of high school and the whole school had gathered in the assembly hall to listener to a (female) performer play Christian songs on a piano. Some kids were making a noise with a chair, so one of the teachers tried to quiet them saying 'that not a very christian thing to do, making a noise like that'. I pointed out to the teacher that, since he was a declared atheist (he used to cover RE when the normal teacher was off) he didn't know squat and throwing chairs about had more to do with Christ-of-the moneychangers tables than naff songs. Then I woke up.

Not that this is in anyway a critisism of your music, it's just not my bag. It sounds a lot like lots of stuff I have heard and isn't of any worse quality. It just doesn't grab me by the nuts and dance.

Though you can now say your music gives people nightmares.

TME

[ 29. October 2003, 12:19: Message edited by: The Machine Elf ]

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Matt, tell me, what does the concept of Christian satire mean to you? And unrest? I'd venture to suggest they aren't synonyms for 'uncritical positive review which papers over the cracks'. Simon appears to agree with me on this one
Yes, but when you whine about the car parking, next door neighbours waking you up...etc etc...the satirical effect is lost.
Y'know, I felt they were effective satire. Those comments gave breadth to my spleen, so I was being equal-opportunities, and knocking everything, not just the camp organisers.

quote:
However, the main point of such a meeting, (namely the teaching from RT Kendall and Tony Campolo) got no mention at all. Oh, and since you went to the MENS seminars instead of the womens, you would have been perfectly able to go to T.C. [Razz]
*shrug* RT was blooming early in the morning. You think I was awake enough to take notes? But they were basically ok, so I didn't feel the need to knock them. And since the piece was satirical, i.e. highlighting the negative, there was no point really including them. I wasn't aiming for balance, I was aiming for a humorous yet truthful retelling.

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Flounder
Shipmate
# 3859

- Posted      Profile for Flounder   Email Flounder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarkycow,

I really wish you had left that stuff in. [Two face]

quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
Sarkycow stands up and takes a bow

Well, thanks for the kind words guys.

Sarkycow

Frankly, I think you were pretty intrepid to go there at all. [Overused]

— Best,

Flounder

Posts: 1082 | From: Flounderland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
not being totaly serious here but... isn't comparing a place to the nazi's escape-proof prison a violation of godwins law or something? [Biased]

btw, i don't think that "parody" is exactly what you mean to call the article. according to mirriam-webster, a parody is:

quote:
Main Entry: 1par·o·dy
Pronunciation: 'par-&-dE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -dies
Etymology: Latin parodia, from Greek parOidia, from para- + aidein to sing -- more at ODE
Date: 1598
1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule
2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

Fair enough Sarky, tell ya what, give us a glorious picture of your ideal Christian conference? What would it consist of? How would you organise it? And when and where can we attend this "Sarkyfest"??

Matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone say what other name colditz is known as or would that br a big no-no?
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fair enough Sarky, tell ya what, give us a glorious picture of your ideal Christian conference? What would it consist of? How would you organise it? And when and where can we attend this "Sarkyfest"??

Matt

For a start, you wouldn't be there.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarkycow's article had the ring of truth all right - it reminded me of a similar event I attended 20 years ago, and clearly little has changed in the interim (IIRC, Tony Campolo was a speaker at the one I attended too). Never, never again. Shudder. Thanks for the reminder of why I don't attend Christian holiday camps!

Boopy

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:
Watch it Chris, I bet my handbag is bigger than yours... [Mad]

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
quote:

Matt

Put me on the attendance list, then!!

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

quote:
Put me on the attendance list, then!!
*fake german accent*

attendance list, you mean ze ROLL CALL?!

*/accent*

shades of colditz already I'm afraid.

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fair enough Sarky, tell ya what, give us a glorious picture of your ideal Christian conference?

It's not whether a *better* conference can be thought of ... they all seem to be as bad as each other. But I can sure as hell think of better things to do with a weeks holiday.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've now sent that article to various friends who don't normally visit the Ship. I'm getting complaints from them about how much work time they've wasted because, once they'd started, they had to read the whole thing. A lot of us have had to suffer these events in the past (and they don't seem to have chnaged over the years) and to see them lampooned with so much wit and accuracy was a blessed relief.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boopy:
Sarkycow's article had the ring of truth all right - it reminded me of a similar event I attended 20 years ago, and clearly little has changed in the interim (IIRC, Tony Campolo was a speaker at the one I attended too). Never, never again. Shudder. Thanks for the reminder of why I don't attend Christian holiday camps!

Shudder indeed! I think I was there. Though they were good for their time. (Or is my memory fading [Ultra confused] ).

And I did get introduced to a Christian magazine called, errm, Ship of Fools, at that event...

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boopy:
Sarkycow's article had the ring of truth all right - it reminded me of a similar event I attended 20 years ago, and clearly little has changed in the interim (IIRC, Tony Campolo was a speaker at the one I attended too).

Not S***** H****** at Pontins, Prestatyn, 19**, was it.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
quote:
Thanks for the link, Matt. I thoroughly enjoyed your music and lyrics.
Although that's more than I can say for the music on your site, dear!

(nothing wrong with the rest of it but the MUSIC!
[Projectile] )

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strikes me that any organisation that does anything so perverse as to (a) divide seminars between women and men and then (b) give totally different messages at them (women aren't defined by what they do, men are) deserves a good kicking.

Likewise, an organisation that has the sort of group that is still indulging the egomanical showmanship of the so-called "worship" sessions needs to be shown how deeply in error it is.

Finally, any event that has RT Kendall at it is clearly so fundamentally (sic) off beam that no amount of Tony Campolo seminars can save it.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I'm having difficulty wrapping my little brain around the phrase "Christian holiday camp". I just can't cram those particular words together in a meaningful way somehow.

If the author of the report will only start saving up now, I'm sure she can afford a lovely holiday in Ibiza next year.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016