homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: What wine goes with black pudding? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: What wine goes with black pudding?
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ce:
Damn, someone's already thought of it! Feuilleté aux deux boudins

I've tried this, now I think on it. It was good. I'll try an Alsation Gewurtzthingummer with the large tub of reeking homemade kimchi I bought at the school fair.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jehu son of Nimshi
Shipmate
# 1368

- Posted      Profile for Jehu son of Nimshi   Email Jehu son of Nimshi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can tell we are in HEAVEN!!!

A thread about Kimchi and Black Pudding.... Delicious!

Tiggs

--------------------
The shipmate formally known as Tigglet

Posts: 484 | From: Herts. UK | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peppone: kimchi and Alsatian gewurztrauminer? I hope your flat has a top-notch extractor fan!

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a sealed air con environment from May to November.

The kids can make use of all those N95 respirators I hoarded during SARS.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigglet:
I can tell we are in HEAVEN!!!

A thread about Kimchi and Black Pudding.... Delicious!

Tiggs

I imagine Black Pudding is one of the few things that can give Kimchi a run for its money.

[tangent]
instead of frying it to a crisp try cooking sliced Black Pudding in the oven; gentler and doesn't destroy the flavour. Then again, some might want to destroy the flavour.
[\tangent]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

Man, it's been a long day. I'm overheated, tired, and hungry. As bizarre as it may seem, I want hot kimchi, cold salted beer, and black pudding, in that exact order.

--------------------

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Update: The Spouse™ tells me he's getting something from Selfridge's Food Hall for supper. Lovely, I think. Stuffed chicken breasts, it turns out. MMM... not the black pudding sausage roll he got before.

Stuffed with what?

Black pudding.

[Help]

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
contouredburger
Apprentice
# 7409

- Posted      Profile for contouredburger   Email contouredburger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I interrupt this stomach-churning thread with a little pedantry in defence of Black Pudding? When made traditionally it isn't made with lumps of fat. The white chunks should in fact be pieces of thymus gland, a gland situated somewhere near the ribcage which a young mammal (although we're only interested in the young pig) uses to check its immune system is working properly. An adult pig just uses it to make black pudding taste fabulous.

--------------------
I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle

Posts: 46 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thymus gland? Just when I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse....

[Projectile]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

Ugh! That's just offal.

Offal. See...it's like...aw-ful.

Oh, forget it.

(My mum used to cook us sweetbreads for a treat. That's the pancreas, I believe.)

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweetbreads are the thymus gland. Not that it's any better that way....

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
contouredburger
Apprentice
# 7409

- Posted      Profile for contouredburger   Email contouredburger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the pancreas is referred to as lights...ymmm...chewy

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought "lights" were the lungs?

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
contouredburger
Apprentice
# 7409

Eigon,

My apologies, lights are the lungs. I've found a rather off-putting website that makes this point. However, it also claims that both thymus and pancreas are sweetbreads. However, they are throat and stomach sweetbreads respectively. The spleen is called milt. However, if somebody is desperate enough to be eating this little lot, then I don't think the name really matters. The only wine to go with these would be enough to stop you caring.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You gotta wonder what horrible famine made somebody think to themselves "You know? That little hunk of thymus is looking mighty tasty..."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
You gotta wonder what horrible famine made somebody think to themselves "You know? That little hunk of thymus is looking mighty tasty..."

The recipe dates back to a time when there were far fewer ingredients available than there are now. Meat was for the well off or for special occasions and you didn't waste anything. Nor could you afford to be squeamish. Black pudding was an economical way of making it all go just a little further.

Celtic literature has a good few descriptions of feasts. There is an ancient Irish story, which reads like the fantasy of someone on the verge of starvation, where the hero dreams of a sumptuous hall built out of food, with pillars of butter, cheese and boiled pork. That was about as good as it got until the Romans arrived and brought a lot of their own cultivated fruits and vegetables.

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of "chitlin's and gritlin's" and watching folks buy tongues and stomachs at the Winn Dixie.
However I will buy the smoked pig hocks to cook with the black-eyed peas. Yummy! The proper wine might be ta-da...Shiraz! That's if moonshine ain't available.

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
contouredburger
Apprentice
# 7409

JediJudy,

Stuff Shiraz. By the sounds of that delightful melange, I'll just go for Meths and hopefully I'll kill off the brain cells that deal with taste and smell...Pass me the ketchup

--------------------

PointlessAlbatross
Shipmate
# 4998

- Posted      Profile for PointlessAlbatross   Email PointlessAlbatross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If texture's the problem why not just puree all these delightful bits and pieces and have an offal smoothie ? Tastes just as bad but goes down quicker. Add some garlic icecream for a lovely icecream float. Hmmm, yummy....

--------------------
For God so loved the world he didn't send a committee

Posts: 167 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, sweetbreads--it's been years...reminded me of this country French restaurant I used to go to when I lived in civilization. Sweetbreads in a cognac & cream sauce--absolute heaven. They're a bit of a pain to prepare though. I could never quite duplicate their recipe.

Now in Portland there was this supermarket with a large Asian clientele--I was afraid to walk past the meat counter for fear of the packages of beef testicles and pig uteri...

[refraining from redundant use of the vomiting smiley]

Timothy

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016